What would winning the West do for Coach B-ry

Dual-Threat Rigby

Me personally, I think it’d be more impressive than even the 2013 regular season victory for Gus. This schedule is harder, 2013 Auburn had the imprints of Gus’s offense still, the experience was in positions that worked well for Gus’s offense, and Harsin has made some really meh assistant hires (or at least hires that’ve woefully underperformed).

I think the talent is roughly comparable and if UGA was as early then as it is now, we would’ve been killed, but Harsin has some BIG challenges. I think it’d be massively impressive, even if we get rolled by THUGa again 

• Like 1

Never going to happen. Would happily settle for what's written below, though at this present moment I am doubting even that is going to happen (ask me again soon and my opinion could possibly change).

Edited by AUwent

19 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Me personally, I think it’d be more impressive than even the 2013 regular season victory for Gus. This schedule is harder, 2013 Auburn had the imprints of Gus’s offense still, the experience was in positions that worked well for Gus’s offense, and Harsin has made some really meh assistant hires (or at least hires that’ve woefully underperformed).

I think the talent is roughly comparable and if UGA was as early then as it is now, we would’ve been killed, but Harsin has some BIG challenges. I think it’d be massively impressive, even if we get rolled by THUGa again 

It would be impressive, but nothing will ever beat what 2013 did for the program, in my opinion.  The program was at its lowest point ever in 2012.  We had on the field failures and off the field we had players involved in criminal behavior and others being victims. 4 had been charged with armed robbery and were later convicted, 2 former Auburn players were killed at an off campus party and Angelo Benton had allegedly been one of the instigators.  We had private security guards enforcing curfews at off campus apartments and players were leaving left and right.  It would have been very easy to fall into disarray and not recover for a decade or more.  Unfortunately, I don't see us coming really close to winning the West this year.

Just a reminder, this is how the season went.....

No. 14 Clemson 26, Auburn 19

Mississippi State 28, Auburn 10

Auburn 31, Lousiana-Monroe 28 OT

No. 2 LSU 12, Auburn 10

Arkansas 24, Auburn 7

Ole Miss 41, Auburn 20

Vanderbilt 17, Auburn 13

No. 22 Texas A&M 63, Auburn 21

Auburn 42, New Mexico State 7

No. 5 Georgia 38, Auburn 0

Auburn 51, Alabama A&M 7

No. 2 Alabama 49, Auburn 0

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

It would be impressive, but nothing will ever beat what 2013 did for the program, in my opinion.  The program was at its lowest point ever in 2012.  We had on the field failures and off the field we had players involved in criminal behavior and others being victims. 4 had been charged with armed robbery and were later convicted, 2 former Auburn players were killed at an off campus party and Angelo Benton had allegedly been one of the instigators.  We had private security guards enforcing curfews at off campus apartments and players were leaving left and right.  It would have been very easy to fall into disarray and not recover for a decade or more.  Unfortunately, I don't see us coming really close to winning the West this year.

No. 2 LSU 12, Auburn 10

Arkansas 24, Auburn 7

Ole Miss 41, Auburn 20

Vanderbilt 17, Auburn 13

Auburn 51, Alabama A&M 7

Now that’s a lot to overcome in one year. I forgot how bad it was

• Like 2

No. 2 LSU 12, Auburn 10

Arkansas 24, Auburn 7

Ole Miss 41, Auburn 20

Vanderbilt 17, Auburn 13

Auburn 51, Alabama A&M 7

I think the actual task would be harder than 2013 was. 2013 is the goat regular season other than 2010. Maybe better. I was trying to make a distinction 

28 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I was on here during 2012, none of the narratives are lost on me believe me 

The entire fairy tale of 2013 will never be approached 

Like u said earlier some of the staff has been less than stellar so far. The biggest thin 2013 had for them was Gus was familiar with most of the personnel and the staff was pretty good. The only issue was the defense was average and it reared it’s head on the last drive of the championship game IMO

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I was on here during 2012, none of the narratives are lost on me believe me 

The entire fairy tale of 2013 will never be approached 

I can appreciate the question.  Yes, it would be a great accomplishment no doubt.  One of the biggest hires that Gus made at the time was Rodney Garner.  He then hired D Craig away from FSU.  When they want to be, those two are recruiting machines with as many or more connections than anyone in the business.  Garner is also a quality D-line coach.  One of the things that worries me about the current staff is a lack of recruiters that are on that level.  I hope my concerns are proven to be unnecessary.  I think some people discount the importance of relationships on the ground with high school coaches etc...  That is especially important in the deep South.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I can appreciate the question.  Yes, it would be a great accomplishment no doubt.  One of the biggest hires that Gus made at the time was Rodney Garner.  He then hired D Craig away from FSU.  When they want to be, those two are recruiting machines with as many or more connections than anyone in the business.  Garner is also a quality D-line coach.  One of the things that worries me about the current staff is a lack of recruiters that are on that level.  I hope my concerns are proven to be unnecessary.  I think some people discount the importance of relationships on the ground with high school coaches etc...  That is especially important in the deep South.

Curious why you would think that is regional.

11 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Curious why you would think that is regional.

Football in the deep South is a different business than on the West coast. 

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

Football in the deep South is a different business than on the West coast. 

Gotcha, that makes sense when talking about West Coast. I think middle US is pretty close to South just not as fixed on SEC.

I think it would go a long way toward recruiting.  I also think Auburn would play UGA closer in the SEC championship game than they did last week.  Would propel Auburn to a top tier bowl probably either Peach or Sugar.  It would also require Auburn to win out which is doable but not probable based on the talent of the teams coming up.  At this point every game with "hopefully" the exception of South Carolina could be considered toss ups.  Get to the Iron Bowl on a streak like that and anything is possible.  With the mistakes Auburn has been making in games I find it hard to believe Auburn makes it through that stretch without stubbing its toe against someone.  

• Like 1

Yeah I don't think this entire staff has an ace in that category other than Caddy. Friend was supposed to be but....

20 hours ago, AU9377 said:

No. 2 LSU 12, Auburn 10

Arkansas 24, Auburn 7

Ole Miss 41, Auburn 20

Vanderbilt 17, Auburn 13

Auburn 51, Alabama A&M 7

I really don’t either. I honestly don’t know how we beat Arky, much less OM, TAMU and Bama. This is a definite rebuild and complete gutting of what the former regime installed. I would expect by year 3 we should be on a different/better trajectory. I don’t believe any of this is Harsins fault. 

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Winning the west with an 8-4 record would be quite the achievement.

Yeah, it would. So imagine what a miracle it would be to win the West with a record of 7-5...or even 6-6.

On 10/13/2021 at 6:51 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’m optimistic but long way to go for that to happen 

15 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Yeah, it would. So imagine what a miracle it would be to win the West with a record of 7-5...or even 6-6.

Stranger things haven’t happened.