Mason - critique/discussion

Win4AU

6 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I look for Steiner to be the next beast LB at AU. He is as gifted as they come physically, just needs to learn the game and gain experience. 

I only pick upperclassmen for my official man crush but I've been crushing on this dude since he was a recruit. If you know his personal story, it only makes his potential that much more exciting.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

So we did our job against the weaker competition. Every PPG stat in the history of stats has been skewed by playing weaker/stronger competition. That is why it's an average over the season.

I am not really sure what the argument here is? 

What is the most important stat when looking at Defensive performance? PPG. 

Of course we have played weaker teams that helped with that. All we can do is what we should in those circumstances. 

I am not happy with our Defensive performance for the most part, but Mason's D has done a pretty good job of keeping teams out of the endzone which is the most critical of measurements.

You realize we are tied for 3rd in the SEC in TDs allowed?

You realize we are 5th in total D in the SEC?

They are not playing bad, but I do think they are still learning and thinking more than being confident in their new roles, so I expect them to continue to get better.

Now saying that, don't use the Ole Miss game as a barometer. With Matt Corral who is probably playing the best QB in the SEC, they are going to dial up the numbers.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

They are not playing bad, but I do think they are still learning and thinking more than being confident in their new roles, so I expect them to continue to get better.

Now saying that, don't use the Ole Miss game as a barometer. With Matt Corral who is probably playing the best QB in the SEC, they are going to dial up the numbers.

In the last three games Ole Miss has given team opportunities whether it be turnovers or poor coaching. Only Bama made them pay. Auburn just has to make them pay when the opportunity arise

• Like 1

I think our defensive issues are much more related to scheme than to individual position coaches. When was the last time Auburn ran a 3-4 style 2-gap interior DL as its base? Also, I don't think we have ever run a "2-4" style with 2 Edges, 2 DTs, and 2 ILBs. Then you look at the secondary scheme we have. The last time we had a base defense that played primarily zone was the Chizik era.

The 3-4 and 2-4 2-gap interior DL might be a good approach for our DL strategy, but we have not recruited for that scheme. We also have not recruited for zone in our DBs. The heavy use of zone requires the DL to get pressure on the QB with a standard rush. And despite playing zone, we were torched by Penn State's TEs.

I question if a zone-heavy pass defense is the right solution in the pass-happy, spread offenses of the SEC. Almost everyone else uses a hybrid man/zone scheme similar to the one Saban and Belichick created in Cleveland to counter Pittsburg use of 4 WR sets.

It is very frustrating. We went into this season knowing we had good LBs, and we all thought our DB room was a strength. I think we all thought the DL would be a challenge due to the change in gap scheme. But the major pass coverage scheme change has been a lot for our DBs to digest.

I am worried about Ole Miss running the HUNH and us being able to react and keep up, with Mason upstairs and all. 

51 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Yes I am fully aware. I am also fully aware of the stats we are struggling in.  I did not word that very well. The way I worded it makes it sound as if overall I am unhappy and that isn't the case.  I should have said, I am not completely satisfied with the defense. There are some glaring issues, but they are getting better. 

Ole Miss will drop a 500 piece on us more than likely, but I have faith in us keeping them under 34. I think that is what it takes to win. I expect us to put up about 35-38 points and come out with a win.

AU 38- OM 31

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I am worried about Ole Miss running the HUNH and us being able to react and keep up, with Mason upstairs and all. 

In this instance does bend but don’t break be wise. If that’s a yes the defense gonna be on the field a lot unless the offense uses ball control. Need get in and get out

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gravejd said:

Honest question here.... is it possible that Mason could be giving the opposing offense certain things early in the game just so he can take it away later in the game? It seems like a far fetched idea. I imagine every DC plan is to stop the other team on every single play. But it also hard for me to wrap my head around just how much the defense seems to improve as the game goes along. Would love to see some breakdowns of how our defense plays over the course of a game. 

I wondered that about Ellis Johnson to some extent and definitely about Kevin Steele. It makes some sense that you don't want to adjust too much in the 1st half that you give your opponent the ability to adapt during halftime.

7 minutes ago, tightendoverthemiddle said:

Three 5th Year Senior Defensive Linemen left to my knowledge. Truesdell and Newkirk along with Bryant. 

For rotation purposes alone, this made a major difference for the front 7.

So I don't think Bryant even starts or makes 2 deep on this team. Newkirk and Truesdell were both solid depth guys, but neither were superstars. I think they would have helped in the rotation though. All in all, I don't think they help or hurt us much either way.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, USATiger said:

Agreed!  I was surprised, and extremely happy, Roger came back this year.  He could be playing a lot for an NFL team right now.  When he is allowed to match up 1v1 he is about as close to lock down as there is.   You can tell he was to lock on to the first receiver he sees and cover him to the locker room if needed.  Just not his responsibility most of the time.  Love the kid and can’t wait to see where he is drafted.  

I think he could go first round, or maybe early second round. 

Another thing about the ole miss game is CLK tendencies to go for fourth downs. He has been doing that more than normal . 3rd down should be treated as second and so forth 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I think he could go first round, or maybe early second round. 

Kiper has him as the #21 overall prospect as of now and said he could see a mid round 1 pick used on McCreary. 

• Like 1

Let's look at how many points have been scored against us

Akron - 10 (good game with a trash TD)

Alabama State - 0 (good game)

Penn State - 28* (I think we can farely say 21 without the fumble) by far our worst defensive performance)

Georgia State - 24* (felt like more of a side effect of an inept offensive performance)

LSU - 19 (only team to hold them under 21)

Georgia - 34 (not great but again they had us in positions to compete)

Arkansas - 23 (felt like a solid performance against a solid offense)

They've not been an elite group like we projected and I think that's why there is so much frustration. Taking as many transfers as we did on that side of the ball might have been a sign to our needs on that side. Perhaps that should have been more of a reason for caution than optimism.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Georgia State - 24* (felt like more of a side effect of an inept offensive performance)

We gave up 267 yards rushing. Their offensive line absolutely stole our manhood in the first half. 

All I care about is that the kids keep learning and keep getting better. Hopefully we find some reps for the young fellas in some of the games left on the schedule, mainly so that we can protect the 1s until the IB but with the added bonus of preparing for the future and having a less steep learning curve going into 2022. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Penn State - 28* (I think we can farely say 21 without the fumble) by far our worst defensive performance)

They've not been an elite group like we projected and I think that's why there is so much frustration. Taking as many transfers as we did on that side of the ball might have been a sign to our needs on that side. Perhaps that should have been more of a reason for caution than optimism.

You use the word elite and from my perspective based off of last year's struggles I thought there were areas lacking in both skills and physical aspects to expect an elite defense in one year. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, creed said:

You use the word elite and from my perspective based off of last year's struggles I thought there were areas lacking in both skills and physical aspects to expect an elite defense in one year. 

I think the elite part came from the preseason hype the defense was getting. 

Just now, gravejd said:

I think the elite part came from the preseason hype the defense was getting. 

Not sure who was driving the hype but at a minimum it should be grounded in reality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I think many of us thought the back 7 would be able to make up for some in-efficiencies shown on the DL last year and I know I for one expected the DL to take a step forward. By all means, there was reason for optimism.

2 very good LBS

Roger McCreary

Jaylin Simpson who looked solid last year

Pritchett who graded out very well in coverage last year

Smoke, basically a 2 year starter with enough experience to call him a 3 year starter.

Then we bring in D. Miller who I think many expected to have a much larger role and possibly start. 

Kauffman and Knighton. 

There was a lot of reason for optimism.

I for one didn't realize the extent of the struggles we would have adjusting to new scheme. I knew there would be a learning curve, but I didn't expect as many big bust in coverage as we have had. 

All in all though, the defense is getting better. It will help to get Owen Pappoe back. We have also played around with the lineup in the secondary as well still learning the players and what and who work best together. They are making strides. 

• Like 4

On 10/16/2021 at 8:16 PM, AUFlyer99 said:

What the hell is a pour tackle?

i am not positive but i believe this guy might be a troll.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think many of us thought the back 7 would be able to make up for some in-efficiencies shown on the DL last year and I know I for one expected the DL to take a step forward. By all means, there was reason for optimism.

2 very good LBS

Roger McCreary

Smoke, basically a 2 year starter with enough experience to call him a 3 year starter.

Then we bring in D. Miller who I think many expected to have a much larger role and possibly start. 

Kauffman and Knighton. 

I for one didn't realize the extent of the struggles we would have adjusting to new scheme. I knew there would be a learning curve, but I didn't expect as many big bust in coverage as we have had. 

All in all though, the defense is getting better. It will help to get Owen Pappoe back. We have also played around with the lineup in the secondary as well still learning the players and what and who work best together. They are making strides. 

I like our guys and defense but think we're missing a few pieces to get to the elite level. I support what we're doing but can see things we can do better from an honest fans view. 

One. We have problems with gap control and forcing the gap to our advantage. From my standpoint this takes bigger LBs and better backside fill.

Two. I don't think we quite have the depth to adequately rotate personnel for specific down and distance fits. Ultimately, a truly elite defense would leave their eleven on the field and say "let's play" or the perfect personnel to fit.

Third. I think we're only average in speed on some of the back-end positions. (Safety)

Fourth. Need a super fast edge rusher with size and diverse skill set. (think Clowney. This is the freak athlete which is difficult find but it's what i would like.)

Edited by creed
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

2 very good LBS

Roger McCreary

Kauffman and Knighton. 

This is me, almost word for word. Very, very well stated.

I don't know if I ever claimed we'd be elite or not, but I definitely underestimated the impact of the schematic shift. 

And Miller was absolutely supposed to be a plug and play all-SEC type guy. Glad you mentioned him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

This is me, almost word for word. Very, very well stated.

I don't know if I ever claimed we'd be elite or not, but I definitely underestimated the impact of the schematic shift. 

And Miller was absolutely supposed to be a plug and play all-SEC type guy. Glad you mentioned him. 

I said it. I don't know if I used that word, but I expected a top 3 SEC Defense. Odd things is, with the struggles, we can still get there. I did specifically say Scoring D. 

• Like 1