Potential OCs for 2022?

AUApostle

3 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

So true. That was when we were playing University of Phoenix Online and ITT Technical Institute.

Not true...I was at the Penn State game and we were not predictable.  We could have called a couple of plays differently that may have won us the game, but find me an OC you have never second guessed the day following  a loss.    Also, I am pretty sure the O churned out a plenty  of yards, on the road vs Ark.    Penn State,  Ark and even the first half production vs Miss State were some pretty good examples of a competent O.   Oh and Ole Miss....So I don't agree we only looked good against bad teams. 

3 hours ago, woodford said:

This is the correct answer. Bobo will never build nor assemble a high powered offense. He's just not that guy. 

Not sure we need the high powered offense to win the West.   We just went toe to toe with one of the two most talented teams in America and almost won with a back up QB making his second start hobbling around worse that Bo was 2 weeks ago... Saban was stuttering at the half.   He and bama knew they were getting beaten.   check me on this, but I think we beat the two most prolific offenses in the West - Ole Miss and Ark (K Briles).  

I am not a Bobo fan, but he absolutely kept most defensive coordinators on the ropes, the first half of our games.  At some point, the inadequate OL is gonna catch up with you and it did with us nearly every game.    If you had put Richard Petty in a chevy back in the day,  you wouldn't know who Richard Petty is today.  My point is, for the Offense to work better, you have to have better players (an OL that can get you 1-2 yds rushing the ball) and a WR group that is half-way reliable.  They don't have to be great, but just reliable.    

Think about it - is it the OC's fault they could not run the ball vs Ga State?  

We can't keep swapping coaches (OC) every year  and expect to build any continuity in recruiting and developing an OL.  Gus basically did swapped OC's EVERY SINGLE YEAR after 2015.  How did that work out???   Yeah, the last OT we signed was from 2017!!   The cycle has to end or we will never improve the OL.  

Occam's razor....it applies!

-this is my last post on this thread...my sock drawer needs my attention.  

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

We're there some questionable calls this season? Absolutely. There are always questionable calls over the course of every season. However, the majority of his play calls and rhythm, for the most part, would have been much more successful with better execution. The more they have time within the system the better the calls will look.

Is Bobo the answer at OC? Maybe, maybe not but he isn't the answer to what's actually wrong with the offense.

Bobo would have been a much better coordinator with receivers that can hold on to the ball, an offensive line that didn’t struggle in protection and opening running lanes, and QBs that can see the field and work through progressions. 

having said that…..I do not understand not consistently having short route options available in key situations, and not using the middle of the field more often. But this has been an issue of mine for several years. 

I am not a Bobo fan at this point, but it could be worse I guess. It beats what we had last year.  I did see marked improvement in Nix’s decision making this year. But last night, I was ready for him to leave Auburn on the first train out of town 

Edited by tigerrules
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, tigerrules said:

having said that…..I do not understand not consistently having short route options available in key situations, and not using the middle of the field more often. But this has been an issue of mine for several years.

If it is that simple and obvious, why do you believe the guy getting paid over a million dollars is missing it completely?  If short routes and the middle of the field are obvious answers, why are the millionaire coaches not taking advantage of that?  They are definitely not blind, so they see the same things that you do.  Is it possible that being an offensive coordinator is more complicated than that?

Does Bobo receive some kind of credit for rescuing a perpetually hopeless backup QB situation? TJ Finley would have never been on the roster. Much less played and actually performing competently.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

10 hours ago, Beaker said:

Not true...I was at the Penn State game and we were not predictable.  We could have called a couple of plays differently that may have won us the game, but find me an OC you have never second guessed the day following  a loss.    Also, I am pretty sure the O churned out a plenty  of yards, on the road vs Ark.    Penn State,  Ark and even the first half production vs Miss State were some pretty good examples of a competent O.   Oh and Ole Miss....So I don't agree we only looked good against bad teams. 

Not sure we need the high powered offense to win the West.   We just went toe to toe with one of the two most talented teams in America and almost won with a back up QB making his second start hobbling around worse that Bo was 2 weeks ago... Saban was stuttering at the half.   He and bama knew they were getting beaten.   check me on this, but I think we beat the two most prolific offenses in the West - Ole Miss and Ark (K Briles).  

I am not a Bobo fan, but he absolutely kept most defensive coordinators on the ropes, the first half of our games.  At some point, the inadequate OL is gonna catch up with you and it did with us nearly every game.    If you had put Richard Petty in a chevy back in the day,  you wouldn't know who Richard Petty is today.  My point is, for the Offense to work better, you have to have better players (an OL that can get you 1-2 yds rushing the ball) and a WR group that is half-way reliable.  They don't have to be great, but just reliable.    

Think about it - is it the OC's fault they could not run the ball vs Ga State?  

We can't keep swapping coaches (OC) every year  and expect to build any continuity in recruiting and developing an OL.  Gus basically did swapped OC's EVERY SINGLE YEAR after 2015.  How did that work out???   Yeah, the last OT we signed was from 2017!!   The cycle has to end or we will never improve the OL.  

Occam's razor....it applies!

-this is my last post on this thread...my sock drawer needs my attention.  

You make great points and the personnel is not his fault. We do not have a reliable roster on offense for the most part. However, I base my opinion off the offense stopping on a dime in the second half, not being able to adjust, some terrible play calling in high pressure situations, and his history of an OC. He’s not the guy. I think anyone who has been in this conference for 10-15 years will tell you that off record. 

I would love to have coordinators leave every couple years or so if it means they’re getting hired based on results. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

Does Bobo receive some kind of credit for rescuing a perpetually hopeless backup QB situation? TJ Finley would have never been on the roster. Much less played and actually performing competently.

The last 2 games showed that the staff didn't get the #2 QB they needed in the portal.  Not sure if there was a quality one available willing to sit behind Nix.  TJ isn't ready yet....especially not with a porous OL and WRs who can't help him out.

8 hours ago, AUDevil said:

The last 2 games showed that the staff didn't get the #2 QB they needed in the portal.  Not sure if there was a quality one available willing to sit behind Nix.  TJ isn't ready yet....especially not with a porous OL and WRs who can't help him out.

TJ needs work no doubt.

You know what  surprised me?   He seemed pretty easy to bring down.  I am not talking after he was injured - he doesn't seem to have much lower body mass/strength.   He will stand in the pocket and take a hit, I give him that.   Just one of many observations.  

I think he will be improved next Spring. 

You know who I want to see?  D Davis work into that #2 role and Geriner surprise everyone.   Both these guys have crazy upside. 

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 1

Auburn needs some OC stability

2016 - Lashlee

2017 - Lindsey

2018 - Lindsey

2019 - no doubt

2020 - Morris

2021 - Bobo

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Our problem with OCs under Gus isn't that they changed every year. It's that it was actually the same OC the entire time.

That said, I agree that firing Bobo would likely do more harm than good right now.

Anyone saying fire Bobo should probably be able to name a slam dunk candidate who will recruit, develop our QBs, and mesh with Harsin philosophically. And who is realistically available. You always have to be able to provide a viable alternative when suggesting these things. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hate Bobo.

But we need stability in the program for both continuity and recruiting and I can’t see a reason to replace him other than my own hatred of him. He’s had bad moments for sure, but let Harsin and him build the offense with their players and let’s see afterwards. 

But priority #1 is stopping this coaching carousel at The Plains and having some sort of continuity 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AURealist said:

Many teams have found that firing Mike Bobo is, actually, the answer. 

Whatever our other problems, Bobo will never deliver us a great offense.  We should be looking for better.  

With Bobo, he is Gus made over. Believes that when he is looking in the mirror and looking at himself is seeing the greatest offensive play caller ever!  He doesn't believe we need running backs cause he don't want to run and doesn't want to make second half adjustments (as evidenced by his game plan) because it is a perfect game plan! LMAO

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Taco said:

I hate Bobo.

But we need stability in the program for both continuity and recruiting and I can’t see a reason to replace him other than my own hatred of him. He’s had bad moments for sure, but let Harsin and him build the offense with their players and let’s see afterwards. 

But priority #1 is stopping this coaching carousel at The Plains and having some sort of continuity 

I personally prefer winning over continuity.  Bobo is an average OC and will deliver average results.  

That's life, though.  Some students aggressively seek straight 'A's and others seek 'good grades'.  The difference in effort is over +50%.  I'm generally the first type.  The average AU fan and AU PTB member seem to be the second type and I'm coming to accept that as a reality that's not going to change.  

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

A whole lot said Steele couldn't coach and was a terrible hire as DC.

And that Gus Malzahn is a genius. 

Though I suppose it's possible Bobo has been keeping his true abilities hidden behind the boring facade of a modest talent all these years for just this moment.  

5 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

i haven't read all this thread, but until Bobo is actually gone....this is nuts to me.

The nuts are gone now.

Edited by Ausburn2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sizzle said:

At least we know Davis ain’t leaving 

This is refreshing considering the smoke we’ve heard. Sounds more and more Bobo wasn’t on the same page

40 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Yep. 

At the time I posted that, he was still the OC. I'm many things (positive or negative depending on who you ask) but, I'm not a soothsayer lol