Potential OCs for 2022?

AUApostle

52 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

So now we can actually start speculating who the new OC might be!   Can we go ahead and say NO it will not be Bob Stoops, Jon Gruden, Lane Kiffin, Hugh Freeze, Mike Ditka or Tom Landry to save a few posts in this thread?

It's times like this I wish I had kept that Wade Christopher pic.

NOBODY out-Auburn-message-boards Doc Christopher.

WDE!

The Hot Board is supposedly:

Eric Kiesau - really not a fan of this option but I could see it playing out. Harsin would predictably get flamed for just continuing the Boise Boys initiative. Picking someone familiar with the team and offense isn't horrendous though.

Brennan Carroll - don't know much but I like it at first glance

Matt Wells - meh not the kind of recruiter we need

Dell McGee - feel like his name will be linked to us forever and never actually materialize

Zak Hill - not atrocious

Jeff Lebby - not sure he'd be interested but not a bad choice

Kendal Briles - dear God please, I wanted him in the first place

Mike Sanford - **** no dude just got fired

Jeff Grimes - definitely intriguing 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Eric Kiesau - really not a fan of this option but I could see it playing out. Harsin would predictably get flamed for just continuing the Boise Boys initiative. Picking someone familiar with the team and offense isn't horrendous though.

Dell McGee - feel like his name will be linked to us forever and never actually materialize

Zak Hill - not atrocious

If this is truly the list, Grimes is the clear number one and it’s not close. Really wanted Lebby when Bobo ended up the pick

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Wells_(American_football_coach)

Matt Wells Wiki.  Nothing overwhelming that screams must hire but obviously thought highly enough of to move up the ladder so fast.

I noticed while he was at Navy he coached quarterbacks, fullbacks and wide receivers.

At a service academy, that might be one position group.

I like it.

WDE!

11 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Zak Hill - not atrocious

Take Sanford off and is decent list

17 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Zak Hill - not atrocious

So that tells me it will be none of the above 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Zak Hill - not atrocious

Grimes is the only good name on that list. Lebby too, but everyone says he doesn't mesh with Harsin.

All the others are meh to terrible. 

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Grimes is the only good name on that list. Lebby too, but everyone says he doesn't mesh with Harsin.

All the others are meh to terrible. 

McGee and Briles are NOT "meh to terrible."

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed
4 minutes ago, DAG said:

So that tells me it will be none of the above 

Exactly in line with my insider post. I personally love that no one has credible info. It’s not that I dont enjoy getting the info, but that we seem to potentially finally have a leader of the program that actually controls the message.  I didn’t hear anyone saying they actually heard Bobo was going to be fired. Just speculating it may happen.  A whole new world…a new fantastic point of view… (wait sorry. I have a daughter and sometimes randomly think in terms of Disney 😂)

Serious question. When a head coach fires a coordinator with a 3 year contract does he have to get AD approval?  If so does the AD have to go to boosters to see if they will pay the tab?

19 minutes ago, AUwent said:

McGee and Briles are NOT "meh to terrible."

Briles is between meh and terrible.l, IMO 

McGee gas never called plays before. You don't hire your bagman as your OC

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 4

On 11/28/2021 at 11:21 AM, JBiGGiE said:

Quite a many G5 openings... Has Jax St. found a new coach yet?

Rich Rodriguez is going to Jacksonville State.

Edited by JTFazz
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Strychnine said:

If it is that simple and obvious, why do you believe the guy getting paid over a million dollars is missing it completely?  If short routes and the middle of the field are obvious answers, why are the millionaire coaches not taking advantage of that?  They are definitely not blind, so they see the same things that you do.  Is it possible that being an offensive coordinator is more complicated than that?

I have been asking the same questions.  And as stated, the issues are more than just being able to throw over the middle or short. But Maybe The answers will come with our next OC.  Gus(and his minions) , and Bobo obviously did not have consistent answers.  But as you know, these challenges have been faced by all teams in the modern era of football, and other coordinators have been successful.  Or we can just throw up our hands and just come to the conclusion it is just too complicated.  But I bet the right person will find some answers for the right price. It will take both talent on the field and scheme. 

McGee, Baby Briles, and Grimes are the guys we need to go after. 

McGee fills our recruiting void in a huge way but he's not an experienced play caller. Auburn alum so we know he won't be dogging it if he comes home.

Baby Briles has the Xs and Os aspect and it's been long enough since he left Baylor that the radioactive fallout is clearing. Not sure how much he moves the needle with recruiting. 

Grimes is a familiar face who does everything well but does not recruit as well as McGee and isn't as strong Xs and Os wise as Briles. This would be the Gus hire but not in a bad way (if that makes sense).

Got nothing against the guy but I hope it's not Matt Wells. We need someone who can recruit this area. If it's Wells then we need to bring on a Co-OC who basically only recruits but makes OC dough. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, selias said:

Honestly, anyone that thinks Mullen is or will be a serious candidate is smoking ditch weed.

Mullen is toxic.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, selias said:

Honestly, anyone that thinks Mullen is or will be a serious candidate is smoking ditch weed.

Right . I was wondering how do these guys get jobs .

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Grimes is a familiar face who does everything well but does not recruit as well as McGee and isn't as strong Xs and Os wise as Briles. This would be the Gus hire but not in a bad way (if that makes sense).

I know you're not serious.  When we had GOOD OL, it was because this guy could recruit his butt off.

HE was the last guy we had that could actually bring in OL that were not Div III level

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Joe Brady, Dell McGhee (Harsin calls plays), Jeff Grimes, Kendall Briles! Those are my 4 favs. But we are Auburn. So it’ll likely be someone like Cody Booth, TE coach at Colorado St. and we will all flip our sh*t and then slowly talk ourselves into it.

• Like 1