Potential OCs for 2022?

AUApostle

The root cause is not the OC.   The OC is a big target when frustrated, but you go back and just consider what everybody said after the first handful of games,

• "geez look at the route trees - wish Gus had run those"
  • "Wow - Auburn threw to 3 different TEs and they all caught the ball"
  • "Dag gum, look at how many receivers caught the ball!"
  • "Can you believe we were not predictable?"
  • Can you believe our TEs are catching TDs?
  • "we didn't give away the play when we substituted tonight!
  • Bo is staying in the pocket more and making 2-3 reads

How quick we forget...

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Just going to say that when it comes to coaching offense a good OL can make you look like a genius, and a bad one can make you look like an idiot. I know firsthand. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Beaker said:

The root cause is not the OC.   The OC is a big target when frustrated, but you go back and just consider what everybody said after the first handful of games,

How quick we forget...

I don't see how Bobo can be considered a good OC just because he improved on what gus was doing.  I can also point out that Bobo has run screen passes directly to the opposite side from which the blitz was coming, we don't run counter and trap plays to slow down pursuits, no draw plays to slow down pass rushes.  But to see it in writing 156 yards in which 4 OTs were involved should speak volumes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

And why this is so difficult for people to understand baffles me. With Nix out it was even more glaring the issues on offense we had mainly in the trenches. Another unpopular opinion but I would not be shocked if this was Nix last season at Auburn also.

I hope so. Look I greatly appreciate his love for AU and always, ALWAYS putting his body on the line to win. Same applies to TJ. I rather take our lumps with guys we know are talented and can eventually lead us to be contenders than with those that are not. Picking up recruiting should be top priority....esp. with 2 new teams coming in. We had a ton of heart and our guys never gave up but it was clear to me from the entire season how we lacked essential talent in key positions. OL, WR and QB are a must need. 

37 minutes ago, Beaker said:

How quick we forget...

I look at the totality of Bobo's resume as an OC. He was a very questionable hire to begin with. 

• Like 2

Mike Bobo isn’t & shouldn’t be going anywhere - I don’t know how many times this needs to be said, but….

You Can’t Run Any Offense With a Terrible OL!

If you can’t get any push at the line of scrimmage or create holes in the run game, you are very limited in what you can do!

Bobo did some wonderful things opening up the passing game (I.e. using the TE’s, actual route trees, keeping Bo in the pocket, etc)

Give this staff some freaking patience and let’s see what they can do when they get their players and their culture in place. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Just going to say that when it comes to coaching offense a good OL can make you look like a genius, and a bad one can make you look like an idiot. I know firsthand. 

Well this offensive line was chalk full of seasoned veterans. If folks think next year's o-line is going to be better, well, I seriously doubt it just based on experience alone. 

1 minute ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Well this offensive line was chalk full of seasoned veterans. If folks think next year's o-line is going to be better, well, I seriously doubt it just based on experience alone. 

A seasoned veteran with marginal talent is not much better than he was as a pimpled freshman. Did you not watch the games this year? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Mike Bobo isn’t & shouldn’t be going anywhere - I don’t know how many times this needs to be said, but….

If you can’t get any push at the line of scrimmage or create holes in the run game, you are very limited in what you can do!

Bobo did some wonderful things opening up the passing game (I.e. using the TE’s, actual route trees, keeping Bo in the pocket, etc)

Give this staff some freaking patience and let’s see what they can do when they get their players and their culture in place. 

Just imagine how atrocious this OL play would have been under the old offense

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Keep in mind that some of these same people that want to dump Bobo are the same ones who thought Gus was an offensive genius in 2013. Anyone can look like a genius when you have an offensive line that allows you to successfully run the football even into 8-9 man fronts. 

Just now, Eagle-1 said:

You got it. If Bobo can get the OL recruited up, even if he calls the same plays, he'll suddenly look like a genius. Well ok, other than a few boneheaded play calls that cost us 2 wins but still. He has to learn along with everyone else on the staff and Harsin can overrule any of his calls he wants, so there s that.

27 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I look at the totality of Bobo's resume as an OC. He was a very questionable hire to begin with. 

This is the correct answer. Bobo will never build nor assemble a high powered offense. He's just not that guy. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

How quick we forget...

So true. That was when we were playing University of Phoenix Online and ITT Technical Institute.

13 minutes ago, woodford said:

This is the correct answer. Bobo will never build nor assemble a high powered offense. He's just not that guy. 

Never really been that guy. Had great years with Gurley and Aaron Murray and still there were questions about his play calling late in games. I keep reading where people say we'd get to evaluate him more when we get better talent but it's easy to look back at the UGA teams/players he had to evaluate him. He's not bad but he's not anything special either when you do have the players. He was on the verge of being ran out of town at his own school. Nobody was clamoring to hire him as an OC. He certainly can recruit QBs so i'd be fine with him giving up OC duties and being our QB coach. However, we'd be paying him a lot not to be the OC.

I like that he embodies AU's emphasis on running the ball b/c he's known for play action. However, offenses in today's CFB need more and i just don't think he's the guy for the job. He'd be a solid HC or OC outside of the power 5. 

5 hours ago, AUDevil said:

We’re getting off topic talking about Bobo…but I will say that you’re spot on.  He doesn’t seem to have a great feel for the flow of the game…unless Harsin is overriding him.  Needs to also do a better job of catering playcalling to the personnel available to him.

Back on topic… Briles, Grimes, who else should be considered?

I'd love Briles. I'm gonna be really disheartened if Bobo is retained. I can't go through another HC who is in denial about offensive ineptitude. 

27 minutes ago, woodford said:

Totally agree. 

Remember, most of us were furious at the idea of the Steele hire last December not only because it would have been JABA, but because people heard he was bringing Bobo.

Then CBH brings him anyway. Bobo has never been good and never will be. I'm hoping he was just a starter pack guy for CBH.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I'd love Briles. I'm gonna be really disheartened if Bobo is retained. I can't go through another HC who is in denial about offensive ineptitude. 

There will be nothing to look forward to if Bobo comes back imo

9 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Never really been that guy. Had great years with Gurley and Aaron Murray and still there were questions about his play calling late in games. I keep reading where people say we'd get to evaluate him more when we get better talent but it's easy to look back at the UGA teams/players he had to evaluate him. He's not bad but he's not anything special either when you do have the players. He was on the verge of being ran out of town at his own school. Nobody was clamoring to hire him as an OC. He certainly can recruit QBs so i'd be fine with him giving up OC duties and being our QB coach. However, we'd be paying him a lot not to be the OC.

I like that he embodies AU's emphasis on running the ball b/c he's known for play action. However, offenses in today's CFB need more and i just don't think he's the guy for the job. He'd be a solid HC or OC outside of the power 5. 

2008 Georgia Bulldogs is a great example. Go look at that roster. 

4 minutes ago, woodford said:

2008 Georgia Bulldogs is a great example. Go look at that roster. 

UGA's goal line stance against USCe is all i can think about when it comes to him. 🤦‍♂️

23 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Briles and Harsin offense not going to mix.

• Like 1