Potential OCs for 2022?

AUApostle

2 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

I know you're not serious.  When we had GOOD OL, it was because this guy could recruit his butt off.

HE was the last guy we had that could actually bring in OL that were not Div III level

Dell McGee was literally the national recruiter of the year a few years ago. You realize saying someone is not as good a recruiter as him is not saying they are a bad recruiter right? 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Joe Brady, Dell McGhee (Harsin calls plays), Jeff Grimes, Kendall Briles! Those are my 4 favs. But we are Auburn. So it’ll likely be someone like Cody Booth, TE coach at Colorado St. and we will all flip our sh*t and then slowly talk ourselves into it.

I'm past talking myself into things.  Other SEC teams seem to be able to get real coaches and assistants.  LSU scored Brian Kelly just today!  If we can't get a decent coaching staff to Auburn, it's because we either aren't serious about having a championship level team or are just too stupid to get it done.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Dell McGee was literally the national recruiter of the year a few years ago. You realize saying someone is not as good a recruiter as him is not saying they are a bad recruiter right? 

No.  I believe that I said that Grimes is the last guy who built us an OL through recruiting, especially that amazing line in 2013.  He is a bloody good recruiter, builds very good lines, and unlike Dell, can actually coordinate an offense that is worth a crap.

Savvy?

Dell is a good recruiter, but we are talking about replacing an OC here.  And I, for one, don't have the confidence that he could handle that.  So, Jeff Grimes>Dell 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, JTFazz said:

Mullen is toxic.

Prediction- he will be OC for Jacksonville Jaguars next season. 

Zack Hill

Zak Hill was named offensive coordinator for Sun Devil Football in December 2019. Hill, who also works with ASU’s quarterbacks, came to Tempe after spending the previous four seasons as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Boise State.

“Zak is very well versed in offensive football,” ASU head coach Herm Edwards said when announcing Hill’s appointment. “He comes from winning programs and he played the quarterback position. I like that. He’s good at building an offense around the personnel that he has available to him. He will force the defense to adjust with multiple formations and personnel groups.  His style fits the DNA of what we want on our coaching staff.  He’s an excellent teacher.”

During the abbreviated 2020 season, ASU’s offense was among the top 20 teams in the nation in yards per completion (fifth), rushing yards per game (seventh), scoring offense (12th), total offense (20th) and third down conversion percentage (20th). Individually, running back Rachaad White led the nation in yards per carry and was 14th in all-purpose yards; quarterback Jayden Daniels was 14th in yards per completion and running back Chip Trayanum was 14th in yards per carry. White led the Pac-12 in scoring while Daniels was second in the conference in pass efficiency. 

Hill joined the Boise State staff in January 2016 as co-offensive coordinator and was named the program’s sole offensive coordinator prior to the 2017 season. In his four seasons at BSU, Pro Football Focus graded Hill’s offense in the Top-40 each season and 31st or better in three of those. In 2017 and 2018, PFF scored the Boise State passing game in the Top-15 nationally while the receivers earned a Top-25 score in each of his four seasons. 

“I am really excited about this opportunity and I truly believe it is a great situation for me at ASU,” Hill said when he arrived at ASU. “I appreciate Coach Edwards believing in me and having the trust to bring me on and I am thankful to Ray Anderson and the Sun Devil administration for their support in making this happen. I look forward to putting together an explosive, fun offense that our fans will love to watch.

“I am humbled at this opportunity. I also want to thank everyone at Boise State for a great four years and I am grateful for all the support I have received from Bronco Nation. I would especially like to thank Coach Harsin for his leadership and my years at Boise State and the opportunity he afforded me to grow as a coach.”

The 2019 Bronco program entered the bowl season ranked 19th nationally after winning its fourth Mountain West title since joining the conference in 2011. Boise State rode its potent and well-rounded offense to a 12-1 record this season, qualifying for its 18th consecutive bowl game and 22nd-straight season with a winning record – the longest active streak in the country. 

The 2019 Bronco offense was 38th in total offense (441.5 ypg) and 14th in the country in averaging 36.8 points per game, despite relying heavily on true freshmen playing at quarterback and running back. Boise State improved in scoring offense in each of Hill’s three seasons as the sole offensive coordinator. 

Like the Sun Devils, Boise State was one of just four FBS programs to start the 2019 campaign with a true freshman at quarterback in Hank Bachmeier, who exploded on the scene with 407 passing yards – a Boise State record for a debut start - and a road victory against Florida State in the season opener. Bachmeier appeared in just seven games – and left the game early in one of those - due to injury, but accounted for 1,760 yards (251.4 ypg) and nine touchdowns in the games he played. 

Despite Bachmeier being out for the final four games of the regular season and the Mountain West Championship, the Broncos rallied to five consecutive victories to end the season and averaged 36.0 points per game during that streak. The Broncos rallied behind senior quarterback Jaylon Henderson, who threw for 944 and 10 touchdowns with only two interceptions and added two rushing touchdowns and over 100 yards on the ground in the final four games of the year. 

True freshman running back George Holani rushed for 979 yards on the season – fifth among freshmen running backs in the FBS - and is just 21 yards away from giving Boise State its 11th-straight season with a 1,000-yard back, which would be tied for the second-longest streak in college football history. The Broncos rushed for 174.15 yards per game – the 31st-most in the nation.

On the receiving end, the Broncos had a potent 1-2 punch in senior John Hightower (48 catches, 923 yards, eight touchdowns) and sophomore Khalil Shakir (60 catches, 834 yards, six touchdowns). Boise State’s 30 touchdowns by air were 18th nationally at the end of the regular season while the passing offense ranked 35th at 267.4 yards per game.

Shakir was the second-highest graded wide receiver in the nation, according to Pro Football Focus, with a grade of 89.5 – Hill’s second receiver to be ranked in the Top-10 nationally by PFF in the last three years. Guard Jake Stetz was the third-highest graded offensive guard in the nation (83.7) while tackle Ezra Cleveland was the 23rd-best graded tackles in the FBS. Tight end John Bates was among the top blocking tight ends in the country (ranked in the Top-20 in both run and pass blocking) while receiving the 21st-highest graded among tight ends in the FBS. 

In 2018, quarterback Brett Rypien picked up a fourth-straight All-Mountain West accolade while also earning Mountain West Offensive Player of the Year honors, the first such recognition for a Bronco quarterback since Kellen Moore earned the award in 2011. Rypien concluded his career as the Mountain West’s all-time leader in career 300-yard passing games (21), completions (1,036) and passing yards (13,581). He also ranked second in league history in both wins by a starting quarterback (37) and career attempts (1,619), and tied for second in career touchdown passes (90).

Running back Alexander Mattison led the Mountain West and ranked eighth nationally in rushing in 2018 (1,415), giving Boise State 10-straight seasons with a 1,000-yard back, the longest active streak in the country and tied for the third-longest streak in college football history, behind only North Carolina (12; 1973-84) and Texas (11; 1995-2005).

Behind the production of Rypien and Mattison, Boise State concluded the season ranked in the top 25 nationally in both total offense (21st/459.5 yards per game) and scoring offense (20th/35.4 points per game).

Rypien was the 13th-highest graded quarterback in the nation in 2018 while Mattison thrived behind Cleveland, who was the fifth-highest graded tackle in the FBS.

In 2017, Hill’s first as the lone offensive coordinator, Boise State saw record-setting production in the passing game. Wide receiver Cedrick Wilson set the Boise State single-season record with 1,511 yards receiving, earning first-team all-league honors. He was the sixth-highest graded wide receiver in the nation (87.7).

Rypien also picked up his third-straight All-MW accolade, while Mattison was honored for the first time following a campaign in which he picked up 1,086 yards rushing.

In 2016, Hill’s debut campaign with the Broncos, the Boise State offense led the Mountain West and ranked 21st nationally in total offense (472.8). Hill also oversaw the progression of Rypien, then a sophomore, who garnered his second-straight first-team All-MW accolade after leading the league and ranking 12th nationally with 3,646 passing yards. Rypien also ranked 15th nationally in passing efficiency (155.7).

Hill joined Boise State from Hawai’i, where he was named offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in December 2015. Prior to that, Hill served as passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Eastern Washington for seven seasons (2009-15). In Cheney, Hill coached some of the top quarterbacks in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), including Walter Payton Award (given to the nation’s top FCS player) finalists Vernon Adams, Jr. (2012-14) and Matt Nichols (2009), and 2014 Grey Cup champion and Calgary Stampeders (CFL) quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell (2010-11).

He helped oversee the offense of an Eastern Washington program that made the FCS playoffs five times over his seven years and captured the 2010 FCS national title. The Eagles also reached the FCS semifinals twice more, in 2012 and 2013, and won or shared the Big Sky Conference crown six times.

Eastern Washington topped the FCS rankings in passing offense (353.3 ypg) in 2015, with quarterback Jordan West finishing the year with 3,002 passing yards (300.2 ypg, second in FCS) and 30 touchdown passes (fourth in FCS). The Eagles also scored 34.6 points per game, 18th-best in FCS.

Hill was a record-breaking quarterback at Central Washington from 1999-2003. He broke more than 20 league records and passed for 8,882 career yards and 76 touchdowns while completing 60.2 percent of his passes. In 2002, Hill led Central Washington to an 11-1 record and was named a third-team All-American. He was inducted into the school’s Hall of Fame in 2013.

Following his playing career, Hill became a student assistant at EWU from 2004-05, where he worked with the 2005 Walter Payton Award winner, quarterback Erik Meyer.

Hill then spent three seasons at Hillsboro High School in Oregon, serving as offensive coordinator in 2006-07. He took over as head coach in 2008 and led the school to an appearance in the state Class 5A playoffs.

Hill earned his bachelor’s degree in school health education from Central Washington in 2004. He and his wife, Hollie, have one daughter, Valerie Ann, and one son, Brett Thomas.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Zack Hill

Zak Hill was named offensive coordinator for Sun Devil Football in December 2019. Hill, who also works with ASU’s quarterbacks, came to Tempe after spending the previous four seasons as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Boise State.

“Zak is very well versed in offensive football,” ASU head coach Herm Edwards said when announcing Hill’s appointment. “He comes from winning programs and he played the quarterback position. I like that. He’s good at building an offense around the personnel that he has available to him. He will force the defense to adjust with multiple formations and personnel groups.  His style fits the DNA of what we want on our coaching staff.  He’s an excellent teacher.”

During the abbreviated 2020 season, ASU’s offense was among the top 20 teams in the nation in yards per completion (fifth), rushing yards per game (seventh), scoring offense (12th), total offense (20th) and third down conversion percentage (20th). Individually, running back Rachaad White led the nation in yards per carry and was 14th in all-purpose yards; quarterback Jayden Daniels was 14th in yards per completion and running back Chip Trayanum was 14th in yards per carry. White led the Pac-12 in scoring while Daniels was second in the conference in pass efficiency. 

Hill joined the Boise State staff in January 2016 as co-offensive coordinator and was named the program’s sole offensive coordinator prior to the 2017 season. In his four seasons at BSU, Pro Football Focus graded Hill’s offense in the Top-40 each season and 31st or better in three of those. In 2017 and 2018, PFF scored the Boise State passing game in the Top-15 nationally while the receivers earned a Top-25 score in each of his four seasons. 

“I am really excited about this opportunity and I truly believe it is a great situation for me at ASU,” Hill said when he arrived at ASU. “I appreciate Coach Edwards believing in me and having the trust to bring me on and I am thankful to Ray Anderson and the Sun Devil administration for their support in making this happen. I look forward to putting together an explosive, fun offense that our fans will love to watch.

“I am humbled at this opportunity. I also want to thank everyone at Boise State for a great four years and I am grateful for all the support I have received from Bronco Nation. I would especially like to thank Coach Harsin for his leadership and my years at Boise State and the opportunity he afforded me to grow as a coach.”

The 2019 Bronco program entered the bowl season ranked 19th nationally after winning its fourth Mountain West title since joining the conference in 2011. Boise State rode its potent and well-rounded offense to a 12-1 record this season, qualifying for its 18th consecutive bowl game and 22nd-straight season with a winning record – the longest active streak in the country. 

The 2019 Bronco offense was 38th in total offense (441.5 ypg) and 14th in the country in averaging 36.8 points per game, despite relying heavily on true freshmen playing at quarterback and running back. Boise State improved in scoring offense in each of Hill’s three seasons as the sole offensive coordinator. 

Like the Sun Devils, Boise State was one of just four FBS programs to start the 2019 campaign with a true freshman at quarterback in Hank Bachmeier, who exploded on the scene with 407 passing yards – a Boise State record for a debut start - and a road victory against Florida State in the season opener. Bachmeier appeared in just seven games – and left the game early in one of those - due to injury, but accounted for 1,760 yards (251.4 ypg) and nine touchdowns in the games he played. 

Despite Bachmeier being out for the final four games of the regular season and the Mountain West Championship, the Broncos rallied to five consecutive victories to end the season and averaged 36.0 points per game during that streak. The Broncos rallied behind senior quarterback Jaylon Henderson, who threw for 944 and 10 touchdowns with only two interceptions and added two rushing touchdowns and over 100 yards on the ground in the final four games of the year. 

True freshman running back George Holani rushed for 979 yards on the season – fifth among freshmen running backs in the FBS - and is just 21 yards away from giving Boise State its 11th-straight season with a 1,000-yard back, which would be tied for the second-longest streak in college football history. The Broncos rushed for 174.15 yards per game – the 31st-most in the nation.

On the receiving end, the Broncos had a potent 1-2 punch in senior John Hightower (48 catches, 923 yards, eight touchdowns) and sophomore Khalil Shakir (60 catches, 834 yards, six touchdowns). Boise State’s 30 touchdowns by air were 18th nationally at the end of the regular season while the passing offense ranked 35th at 267.4 yards per game.

Shakir was the second-highest graded wide receiver in the nation, according to Pro Football Focus, with a grade of 89.5 – Hill’s second receiver to be ranked in the Top-10 nationally by PFF in the last three years. Guard Jake Stetz was the third-highest graded offensive guard in the nation (83.7) while tackle Ezra Cleveland was the 23rd-best graded tackles in the FBS. Tight end John Bates was among the top blocking tight ends in the country (ranked in the Top-20 in both run and pass blocking) while receiving the 21st-highest graded among tight ends in the FBS. 

In 2018, quarterback Brett Rypien picked up a fourth-straight All-Mountain West accolade while also earning Mountain West Offensive Player of the Year honors, the first such recognition for a Bronco quarterback since Kellen Moore earned the award in 2011. Rypien concluded his career as the Mountain West’s all-time leader in career 300-yard passing games (21), completions (1,036) and passing yards (13,581). He also ranked second in league history in both wins by a starting quarterback (37) and career attempts (1,619), and tied for second in career touchdown passes (90).

Running back Alexander Mattison led the Mountain West and ranked eighth nationally in rushing in 2018 (1,415), giving Boise State 10-straight seasons with a 1,000-yard back, the longest active streak in the country and tied for the third-longest streak in college football history, behind only North Carolina (12; 1973-84) and Texas (11; 1995-2005).

Behind the production of Rypien and Mattison, Boise State concluded the season ranked in the top 25 nationally in both total offense (21st/459.5 yards per game) and scoring offense (20th/35.4 points per game).

Rypien was the 13th-highest graded quarterback in the nation in 2018 while Mattison thrived behind Cleveland, who was the fifth-highest graded tackle in the FBS.

In 2017, Hill’s first as the lone offensive coordinator, Boise State saw record-setting production in the passing game. Wide receiver Cedrick Wilson set the Boise State single-season record with 1,511 yards receiving, earning first-team all-league honors. He was the sixth-highest graded wide receiver in the nation (87.7).

Rypien also picked up his third-straight All-MW accolade, while Mattison was honored for the first time following a campaign in which he picked up 1,086 yards rushing.

In 2016, Hill’s debut campaign with the Broncos, the Boise State offense led the Mountain West and ranked 21st nationally in total offense (472.8). Hill also oversaw the progression of Rypien, then a sophomore, who garnered his second-straight first-team All-MW accolade after leading the league and ranking 12th nationally with 3,646 passing yards. Rypien also ranked 15th nationally in passing efficiency (155.7).

Hill joined Boise State from Hawai’i, where he was named offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in December 2015. Prior to that, Hill served as passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Eastern Washington for seven seasons (2009-15). In Cheney, Hill coached some of the top quarterbacks in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), including Walter Payton Award (given to the nation’s top FCS player) finalists Vernon Adams, Jr. (2012-14) and Matt Nichols (2009), and 2014 Grey Cup champion and Calgary Stampeders (CFL) quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell (2010-11).

He helped oversee the offense of an Eastern Washington program that made the FCS playoffs five times over his seven years and captured the 2010 FCS national title. The Eagles also reached the FCS semifinals twice more, in 2012 and 2013, and won or shared the Big Sky Conference crown six times.

Eastern Washington topped the FCS rankings in passing offense (353.3 ypg) in 2015, with quarterback Jordan West finishing the year with 3,002 passing yards (300.2 ypg, second in FCS) and 30 touchdown passes (fourth in FCS). The Eagles also scored 34.6 points per game, 18th-best in FCS.

Hill was a record-breaking quarterback at Central Washington from 1999-2003. He broke more than 20 league records and passed for 8,882 career yards and 76 touchdowns while completing 60.2 percent of his passes. In 2002, Hill led Central Washington to an 11-1 record and was named a third-team All-American. He was inducted into the school’s Hall of Fame in 2013.

Following his playing career, Hill became a student assistant at EWU from 2004-05, where he worked with the 2005 Walter Payton Award winner, quarterback Erik Meyer.

Hill then spent three seasons at Hillsboro High School in Oregon, serving as offensive coordinator in 2006-07. He took over as head coach in 2008 and led the school to an appearance in the state Class 5A playoffs.

Hill earned his bachelor’s degree in school health education from Central Washington in 2004. He and his wife, Hollie, have one daughter, Valerie Ann, and one son, Brett Thomas.

I forgot Cedrick Wilson played at Boise State

Edited by Randman5000

Caroll supposedly was a big time recruiter for his pops at USC. Not sure about his mesh or offensive philosophy compared to Harsin though.

If we promote Kiesau, I think you make another run at Dell and give him a title like passing game coordinator/run game coordinator/ or even Co OC. Dell would also be receivers coach, but Kiesau stays heavily involved (think Steele and Twill with linebackers). 

Zak Hill is the safe choice imo. I'm going to go watch some Boise and Az State highlights when I get a chance. If it's him, does he bring Jayden Daniels with him? Haven't seen Daniels so no clue if he's good or not. Same for Kiesau and Hank Bachmeier. That was his QB in 2020. If we're going full Boise offense I'm not sure how well the current QB's on the roster would fit with that or not. Not sure how similar our passing game was to a Boise offense with Bobo

7 hours ago, AURealist said:

I'm past talking myself into things.  Other SEC teams seem to be able to get real coaches and assistants.  LSU scored Brian Kelly just today!  If we can't get a decent coaching staff to Auburn, it's because we either aren't serious about having a championship level team or are just too stupid to get it done.  

Been asking myself this for the past year now.

Edited by AUwent

My 2 choices for OC is jeff grimes and jeff lobby.  Pros for Grimes 1.  the HC at Baylor is a defensive guy so the offense is his.  2.  Good experience with colleges in power 5 conferences. 

Negative:  only 1 year as OC with school in power 5 conference.  2. hire is not fluid by that I mean Bobos position to coach is QB where grimes is OL.  His hire would probably facilitate firing Friend and hiring a QB coach.

Lebby: pros  he has 2 years experience as OC in SEC,  2. this hire is fluid, 3.  Supervised by Lane.  Negative: his boss is offense so is this offense his or lane, 2.  Is 2 years under lane sufficient to accumulate the required knowledge for Auburn's OC. 3. the hire is fluid.

• Like 1

Yeah if you are in to splash hires you may be disappointed. Seems the easy thing to do is elevate Keisau and be done with it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hay Field 101 said:

Grimes is my very first second third fourth and fifth pick. But thats just me.

I remember vividly when Grimes was the OL coach at AU and during the Tiger Walk as he was going through at gate at the stadium entrance where all the recruits were standing.  He apparently recognized one of the recruits (an obvious lineman) and stopped, took off his sunglasses and stepped out of line to have a brief conversation with the young man.  I thought at the moment what a way to impress a player.  Always liked him.

• Like 1

Why wait to announce Keyz. Just put him out there and let’s move on. I think he has someone else. Probably someone as exciting as Keyz. But maybe another one of the potato boys that is going to Co-OC with Keisau.

4 hours ago, Hay Field 101 said:

Grimes is my very first second third fourth and fifth pick. But thats just me.

He literally checks every box we desperately need: OC, OL, great recruiter. He would be such a great hire it seems almost impossible that it would ever happen because…well…JABA😞

• Sad 1