AU mandate

bigbird

No word from the hospital I work at. Mandate was announced a month or so ago and all were told to get jabbed by today or make other arrangements for employment. Nothing since. Typically company wide announcements are made on Fridays. I wonder if they'll wait and hope most people get vaxxed and then announce that the mandate has been lifted. Piss some folks off but they're going to piss some folks off no matter what they do and the mandate is the safer option from a public health perspective. They are strongly pro vax, of course, and have publicly (and rightly) been calling out the community for the low vax rate for a long time now. 

I wish Auburn hadn't backed off of it but I get it. This was probably a big relief for them. 

• Like 2

Nobody wants to have to do this, but it is necessary.  I look for the Supreme Court to overrule the 11th circuit at some point based on case law. The Federal government can show an interest in having people vaccinated and can certainly choose who gets funded.

Edited by AU9377

I knew this would happen when the press pressed Harsin about his vaccine status.  Harsin rightfully declined to share his medical history as is his right.  Harsin’s name has been linked to the Oregon coaching vacancy for a while now, but that is unlikely as Oregon (the state) has recently instituted a mask mandate for the entire state and Harsin still hasn’t revealed his vaccine status.

I look for the SCOTUS to squash all attempts at this forced mandate based on the Constitution of the U.S.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

I knew this would happen when the press pressed Harsin about his vaccine status.  Harsin rightfully declined to share his medical history as is his right.  Harsin’s name has been linked to the Oregon coaching vacancy for a while now, but that is unlikely as Oregon (the state) has recently instituted a mask mandate for the entire state and Harsin still hasn’t revealed his vaccine status.

I look for the SCOTUS to squash all attempts at this forced mandate based on the Constitution of the U.S.

Harsin is a coward for not being man enough to say one way or the other.  It was a simple question and one answered the right way by other coaches in the SEC.  The reasonable and expected thing for him to do is to use his position to encourage others to do the right thing.  Instead, he chose a different route.  Saban, Smart, Kiffin & other high profile coaches have devoted time to encouraging others to get vaccinated.  Harsin runs from the discussion.  Who is the Alpha again?

To be clear, my issue is not whether or not he is vaccinated.  My issue is that he isn't willing to discuss it like an adult.  Vaccine status is not a personal medical issue.

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Harsin is a coward for not being man enough to say one way or the other.  It was a simple question and one answered the right way by other coaches in the SEC.  The reasonable and expected thing to do is to use his position to encourage others to do the right thing.  Instead, he chose a different route.  Period.

To be clear, my issue is not whether or not he is vaccinated.  My issue is that he isn't willing to discuss it like an adult.  Vaccine status is not a personal medical issue.

It appears by your post that there is only one *right way* or *right thing* to do; so where is there room for a discussion?

Aaron Rogers was reluctant to *discuss* his vaccine status, so he lied.  There have been other athletes that have used fake vaccine cards to get past the people that want to *discuss* this vaccine mandate is an adult manner.

The *one size fits all* shoe the government is trying to shove down everybody’s throat (or in their arm) is purely tyrannical.  A young healthy child or adult should be able to opt out as they are the ones that this virus affects the least, but no, not according to our dictatorial administration.  This administration has decided, on its own, that the existential threat of COVID is more important than waiting for congress to *discuss* the issue like an adult and come up with reasonable safeguards.

How did America ever get past the Spanish Flu a century ago without a vaccine and vaccine mandate?

59 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Harsin is a coward for not being man enough to say one way or the other. 

Holding to one's belief in the face of overwhelming pressure and ridicule is the opposite of cowardice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Holding to one's belief in the face of overwhelming pressure and ridicule is the opposite of cowardice.

I don't disagree with the thrust of your argument, but I wouldn't say the pressure and ridicule were "overwhelming". He received just as much support as he did scorn. 

Auburn remains one of the most conservative campuses, power structures and fan bases in the country. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He received just as much support as he did scorn. 

Maybe locally but definitely not nationally. Even then, you're right. Good point. 

• Thanks 1

Also, we had an insider tell us that part of Harsin's rationale is that he didn't want to piss off a very formidable anti-vax faction in his locker room which included certain very high profile players. If that's accurate, then it might not be cowardice but it damned sure isn't courage. 

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

If there is a "belief" he should discuss that belief.  The cowardice is in the refusal to discuss where one stands, not in the decision itself.  Nobody really respects that, unless you are willing to blindly support anything the coach says and does.  He has stated that he is not anti vaccine.  If that is the case, why on earth would the person stating that refuse to answer a simple question?  There is no belief in something that is involved, unless it is belief in unsubstantiated rumor over proven science.

I don't dislike Harsin over his position on this topic.  I have lost some respect for him and, like many others, wonder if he applies this same kind of reasoning to other areas in his life.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Also, we had an insider tell us that part of Harsin's rationale is that he didn't want to piss off a very formidable anti-vax faction in his locker room which included certain very high profile players. If that's accurate, then it might not be cowardice but it damned sure isn't courage. 

Is that what an "alpha" concerns himself over?  A head coach leads.  They don't take opinion polls on matters about which they have professional advice and medical professionals to inform them of what is fiction and what is non-fiction.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I don't disagree with the thrust of your argument, but I wouldn't say the pressure and ridicule were "overwhelming". He received just as much support as he did scorn. 

Auburn remains one of the most conservative campuses, power structures and fan bases in the country. 

This is not a conservative or liberal issue.  I know for a fact that the team physicians have done their best to educate all involved. 

23 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Nobody wants to have to do this, but it is necessary.  I look for the Supreme Court to overrule the 11th circuit at some point based on case law. The Federal government can show an interest in having people vaccinated and can certainly choose who gets funded.

Case law means squat to the 6 MAGA judges.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Actually, there's supreme court precedent for allowing mandatory vaccinations, which makes it constitutional.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/197/11/

(Not that it means a damn to the current court.)

24 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Case law means squat to the 6 MAGA judges.

How about the Senate?   They just voted 52-48 to overturn Joe’s mandate.  Maybe it will reach the President’s desk, but he would probably veto it, him being the authoritarian that he is.

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Actually, there's supreme court precedent for allowing mandatory vaccinations, which makes it constitutional.

If this case was air tight, Biden would have referenced it to cram down his mandate of the Covid vaccine instead of using OSHA to do so.  Unconstitional.

10 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

How about the Senate?   They just voted 52-48 to overturn Joe’s mandate.  Maybe it will reach the President’s desk, but he would probably veto it, him being the authoritarian that he is.

If he were a actual authoritarian he wouldn't provide options to vaccination, such as weekly testing.

BTW, where was your authoritarian concern when Trump tried to steal the last election?

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

If this case was air tight, Biden would have referenced it to cram down his mandate of the Covid vaccine instead of using OSHA to do so.  Unconstitional.

The SCOTUS determined it was constitutional.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Because he is so much more authoritarian than the last guy... Sure.

23 minutes ago, homersapien said:

The SCOTUS determined it was constitutional.

So why didn’t Biden sight this constitutional provision instead of using OHSA?  That doesn’t make sense, I’m sure you have an answer.  Please enlighten us.

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

Because he is so much more authoritarian than the last guy... Sure.

He is, you just can’t see it.

19 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

He is, you just can’t see it.

Biden had to sign many executive orders in an effort to repair the damage done by the prior administration.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

SCOTUS found it constitutional for STATES do mandate small pox. And they allowed for exceptions. 

Not federal level.

Thanks again homer for a half truth post.