Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

11 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Look I hope CW comes. It  would be a major coup but to suggest that he comes because Austin Davis has been an assistant QB coach and then QB coach at Seattle for a couple of years is a real stretch. Russell Wilson is a 10+ year NFL veteran that has played at an extremely high level way before Davis got to Seattle. I know Wilson likes Davis, but I imagine that Russell Wilson taught Austin Davis more than the other way around.

I've thought about that, too, but Davis also bounced around the NFL for the last 8 years after having an elite career at Southern Miss. That's a ton of invaluable experience. And, I mean, what if he did learn from Wilson? He learned from Russell freaking Wilson! That's solid gold.

And, at the end of the day, Pete Carroll hired him as an "assistant" and then one year later promoted him to QB coach. Pete Carroll is from the Bill Belichick coaching tree and is one crazy play away from having 2 Super Bowl rings. This isn't a Loeffler deal. 

11 minutes ago, Tntigers said:

Think about the time you can’t get back by reading this thread and responding to what a 19-22 year old kid is going to do or not do.   It will be what it will be, no matter how hard you wish.  Now, if you are the ones ponying up the money to buy into this s*** show, and you don’t mind wasting good money, then have at it.  

TF do you think you just accomplished with this post?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wcware said:

CW coming to Auburn is just like back when we were going to hire Bob Stoops for head coach. 

That deal was a lot closer to happening than you and others seem to know

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

TF do you think you just accomplished with this post?

I was think The same thing. But I will agree with him on one thing. This transfer and NIL stuff has indeed become a sh*t show. I can’t make a judgement on whether it’s good or not, yet. On the surface it seems to be good for the players. But this whole “school x is offering athlete Y $1,000,000 to come”, or all of their oline get $50k is nuts. It’s basically become a professional league without a salary cap or contracts where private citizens fund the moves. Seems like there needs to be a tightening of the rules imo to keep the college football from just turning into a 3 ring surface.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

saw this on reddit and not sure if it made it here yet.

Texas Transfer QB and Former 4️ Recruit, Casey Thompson is focusing on Auburn, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Indiana, and Missouri as his top schools for his next destination.

i have no clue how decent he is just he has interest in us.

Statistically he was better than Nix last year behind an even worse offensive line than ours that would collapse against Big 12 defensive lines.  He’s got some mobility…not quite the wizard Nix could be but he’s not going to stand in the pocket like a statue or with happy feet like Finley and Calzada. 

Calzada IMO is not much better than Finley and has some of the same issues Finley has which was a problem this year.  We need a QB with at least some mobility unless our Oline does a complete 180. 

I’ll also say I trust Harsin’s judgement regarding quarterback 10000 times more than I ever did Gus.  

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, roe4christ said:

Just wish he would make a decision so we all could move on.

College football is becoming less appealing by the day.  With transfer portal and NIL, coaches hopping from one job to another.  Just leaves a bad taste in the mouth.  NCAA and individual conferences has to see what a mess this is and realize that some rules and restrictions need to be put in place after this year to stop some of this nonsense.

I dont think there's a timeline, and I don't think it will be immediate, but just my opinion. There's been nothing to suggest that any decisions are imminent. We as fans read something on Twitter and expect it to come to fruition today, or it's not going to happen. It's funny to me because twitter is such a joke. At least 75% of things posted on there have no basis in fact. It's just fodder for people who can't find something else to do. I don't see how anyone can read that crap daily. As for the NIL, I keep thinking it will calm down. It can't be maintained at what some of these schools are promising, year after year. Once bought players start failing, the endless cashflow will stop. It will be tempered because it's simply a bad investment. Absolutely throwing money away. Period. Excessively wealthy donors will do this to an extent, but there's a limit. They didn't get wealthy being stupid.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I've thought about that, too, but Davis also bounced around the NFL for the last 8 years after having an elite career at Southern Miss. That's a ton of invaluable experience. And, I mean, what if he did learn from Wilson? He learned from Russell freaking Wilson! That's solid gold.

And, at the end of the day, Pete Carroll hired him as an "assistant" and then one year later promoted him to QB coach. Pete Carroll is from the Bill Belichick coaching tree and is one crazy play away from having 2 Super Bowl rings. This isn't a Loeffler deal. 

I get all that, but many are presenting Austin Davis as a proven NFL QB developer and that is the reason that CW will come to Auburn and I dont't think is correct. 

3 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

I dont think there's a timeline, and I don't think it will be immediate, but just my opinion. There's been nothing to suggest that any decisions are imminent. We as fans read something on Twitter and expect it to come to fruition today, or it's not going to happen. It's funny to me because twitter is such a joke. At least 75% of things posted on there have no basis in fact. It's just fodder for people who can't find something else to do. I don't see how anyone can read that crap daily. As for the NIL, I keep thinking it will calm down. It can't be maintained at what some of these schools are promising, year after year. Once bought players start failing, the endless cashflow will stop. It will be tempered because it's simply a bad investment. Absolutely throwing money away. Period. Excessively wealthy donors will do this to an extent, but there's a limit. They didn't get wealthy being stupid.

Yes and apparently OU did not put his name in the portal until yesterday even though it was reported he was in on Monday….probably waited the maximum time trying to convince him to stay.  

Coaches could not even begin to contact him until he was officially in the portal so let’s give this some time.  He’s also been on vacation with his family.

All that being said I am sure there have been a lot of backchannel communications going on but nothing can be public until he officially went in. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Eh, I don't see it that way. I think it's fun. 

Oh it’s def fun. Because it’s so chaotic. But that doesn’t make it less of a sh*t show. I was under the impression that NIL would mean guys would get a cut from video games, jersey sales, commercials, etc. But It quickly turned into Billy Bobs Steakhouse is writing a check to any offensive lineman that signs with the school. And it may help Auburn. Really wish Tim Cook would play ball a little more.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I get all that, but many are presenting Austin Davis as a proven NFL QB developer and that is the reason that CW will come to Auburn and I dont't think is correct. 

Fair enough. He hasn't coached a QB in college at all, much less one who went on to get drafted. That's definitely a fair point. 

I would just offer that, like Eason, he's already a step ahead in that he knows for sure what an NFL QB is supposed to play like and what an NFL QB does every day to stay at that level. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Austin Davis actually has more quality nfl coaching experience than Joe Brady did before LSU plucked him from the Saints where he had just been an analyst a couple of years.  Before that he was coaching linebackers at William and Mary and a grad assistant at PSU

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Really wish Tim Cook would play ball a little more.

I think what limits Tim more is he is the CEO at Apple and answers to a Board of Directors as opposed to a Phil Knight who is the founder of Nike. Big difference in what you can and can’t do in those 2 roles. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Yes and apparently OU did not put his name in the portal until yesterday even though it was reported he was in on Monday….probably waited the maximum time trying to convince him to stay.  

Coaches could not even begin to contact him until he was officially in the portal so let’s give this some time.  He’s also been on vacation with his family.

All that being said I am sure there have been a lot of backchannel communications going on but nothing can be public until he officially went in. 

I'm sure a lot is going on behind the scenes, but we aren't gonna find out that. People view social media as a great outlet for information. It is an even better outlet for misinformation. I think coaches and players alike have learned to use it in that way. It keeps everyone occupied with thinking they are getting information when really it's manipulation more or less. People these days are too stupid to think for themselves and figure that out though.

51 minutes ago, Tntigers said:

Think about the time you can’t get back by reading this thread and responding to what a 19-22 year old kid is going to do or not do.   It will be what it will be, no matter how hard you wish.  Now, if you are the ones ponying up the money to buy into this s*** show, and you don’t mind wasting good money, then have at it.  

You are absolutely correct, sir. And don’t worry about McGoofus and his ilk. They’ll try to shame you if you don’t think exactly like they do on this.

And believe me, they won’t pony up a penny themselves but want someone else to

Edited by jluvah
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lca408 said:

Well, he was class of 2019 and did get some PT in 2019, didn’t play in 2020, and was in the running for the starting job this season and lost out. So he’s had at least 2 full seasons of time in Jimbo’s offense with at least that much time spent with direct QB coaching by him. Granted, not all of that time was with the 1s but he’s been given opportunity for development. It’s not like he’s a true freshman, and ordinarily he’d be a Junior going on a Senior in 2022. 

I’d expect something at least a tad bit more impressive than what we’ve seen. But maybe he fits Harsin’s offense better. I’m not well versed enough to say for sure. Just noting what I see. Either way, nothing any of us can do about it but hold on for the ride.

I was being more specific on exactly what you believe his faults and weaknesses are. Are you just looking at his stats? As we all know stats don't always paint the full picture. When I see his tape I see a kid who has the tools, is mechanically sound, and needs more experience and a little better decision making. That comes with PT in games and practice with the 1s as you mentioned, not a ton of.

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

Friends, some of y’all need to stop acting like it’s just “lil ole Auburn” and everyone else are the big boys. 

Auburn can compete with the big boys season in and season out and it starts with the QB position. Something both Harsin and Austin Davis specialize in. 

Not saying Caleb Williams is coming or not coming, but we are absolutely in the mix. 

Just be patient. 

amigos meme 2.jpg

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I think what limits Tim more is he is the CEO at Apple and answers to a Board of Directors as opposed to a Phil Knight who is the founder of Nike. Big difference in what you can and can’t do in those 2 roles. 

Right.  Ppl thinking Tim Cook can direct Apple money to us is really silly.

But, he's also a billionaire.  So he could funnely some personal money our way if he was interested in sports.  I think the biggest thing is he doesn't really seem to donate money to athletics.  He gives a ton of money to schools.  Damn nerd.

44 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Another perspective, coaches will now be adding a tremendous amount more time into managing their rosters, while having little to no control over the roster.  It used to be you could groom and prepare a player. Now it's come and go as you please. I don't mind NIL, but the transfer portal needs to be managed better, starting with limited exit periods. I'd say 3x/year, one after the season, one after spring ball, and one after summer workouts. That way coaches and programs can plan accordingly.

This ....

And as you say develop a player.   A coach needs some semblance of control over who is on the team and who is not as the Spring unfolds so he is prioritizing energy and resources into a players development.   

there needs to be some structure (calendar windows maybe) added to the age of 'free agency'. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Statistically he was better than Nix last year behind an even worse offensive line than ours that would collapse against Big 12 defensive lines.  He’s got some mobility…not quite the wizard Nix could be but he’s not going to stand in the pocket like a statue or with happy feet like Finley and Calzada. 

Calzada IMO is not much better than Finley and has some of the same issues Finley has which was a problem this year.  We need a QB with at least some mobility unless our Oline does a complete 180. 

I’ll also say I trust Harsin’s judgement regarding quarterback 10000 times more than I ever did Gus.  

I haven't seen anything to indicate Harsin or Auburn has reached out to THompson. MAybe it's a timing thing, but it could also be Harsin/Davis feel he's not the best fit for the offense and his skills. I know I am guessing, but I think there is about 1 week left before any of these QB transfers can enroll in school and participate in the spring.

And I am sure these coaches pursuing these QBs want them coming in as soon as possible especially Harsin. He doesn't want to bring in a transfer QB in the fall again like he did Finley.

51 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

For sure…anything Tim Cook could do would be with personal money only. I am sure he may have a few $ to spare, but this type of thing may not be his choice for support.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

That deal was a lot closer to happening than you and others seem to know

I thought that we blew that right before Napier and Clark turned us down....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tntigers said:

Yet here you are, in the recruiting forum, complaining about it.

• Like 1