Are we ready to admit

AUght2win

10 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

So let’s play a game:

assign percentage of blame to the following factors (must add up to 100%)

Harsin:

Bobo:

OL:

QB play:

Defense:

Lack of overall talent: 

Gus: 

Illuminati/other: 

Go away Gus apologist

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Maybe, but I don’t blame anyone for not being completely sold on Harsin at this point. 

Rightly so. Not everyone was sold on Coach Dye either. And part of that was Dye being the former head coach of Wyoming. Out of the WAC. Prior conference affiliation should not be a measuring stick of a coach.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

So let’s play a game:

Harsin:

Bobo:

OL:

QB play:

Defense:

Lack of overall talent: 

Gus: 

Illuminati/other: 

U tell us.    My thoughts are blame 4 what for what?  

a.   Hiring a coach that was 3rd option ( because others said nope due to all the disfunction in PTB and fanatics) and that had no SE experience?   

b.   Letting a lame duck coach continue longer than he should have considering there was less than consensus support

c.   Lack of overall talent due to b above?   

I want success and think CBH can get us there, but we are crazies. Must be the millennial or u owe me mentality.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Didba said:

End of the day, TJ can't hit the deep ball and we need a QB that can.

couldn't hit the short ball either, & the one that did took a dive, two back strokes, & a dolphin kick to wrangle in. even that needed a review

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

Dye played at UGA , assistant at UA under Bryant and was an extremely successful head coach at East Carolina. He was not unknown, he was a proven HC that had recruited the area and was advised by Bryant not to take the job. Bryant knew what he could do. No where near the comparison with Harsin.

<takes a quick look at Harsin's 69-19 record at NCAA 1A Boise State vs Dye's 48-18-1 record at NCAA 1AA EC. Reviews the just concluded successful ESD. Sees where both Dye and Harsin were hired from former WAC schools. Believes stating Harsin won't be successful because he came to Auburn from Boise State doesn't hold water>

• Like 1

I seriously question the football knowledge of so many Auburn fans right now and if they realize the hole in which Double Bubble left the program.

That is fixin' to be my default response to so many of these chicken littles.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

If Shaq didn't suck at free throws, he's the NBA's all time leading scorer.

Exactly, proving the point. It's not the free throw or pass that's the problem, the execution needs to be made. 

6 hours ago, Carnell said:

I said that back when we hired him.  He is from the Mountain west conference and he had no idea about plsycallig.  If he had called more playaction passes on first down would have made a difference but that idiot from the mountain west conference doesn't even know what a play action pass is.

2 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

I recall another idiot, from one of those western conferences, who coached at Auburn. After a difficult first year, Auburn went on to win 4 SEC championships while he coached here.

2 hours ago, Carnell said:

I also recall that guy got about 9 years of great experience from bear Bryant and Ken Donahue at alalbama

Harsin coaching at Boise State doesn't mean he will fail in the SEC. Just like Dye did not fail after coaching at Wyoming, and at 1AA East Carolina. By the way, Sylvester Croom and Charlie Pell played for and coached under Bryant.

12 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Exactly, proving the point. It's not the free throw or pass that's the problem, the execution needs to be made. 

So maybe don't dish to Shaq late in a game or let TJ throw bombs with a slim lead and 6 minutes left. There was nothing, nothing, nothing from the previous 54 minutes of football that pointed to TJ being able to make those throws today.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

2 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

I recall another idiot, from one of those western conferences, who coached at Auburn. After a difficult first year, Auburn went on to win 4 SEC championships while he coached here.

Harsin coaching at Boise State doesn't mean he will fail in the SEC. Just like Dye did not fail after coaching at Wyoming, and at 1AA East Carolina. By the way, Sylvester Croom and Charlie Pell played for and coached under Bryant.

This got flipped on you. Nobody is saying his Boise past means he will automatically fail. But there is no precedent for it, like you're suggesting.

Your comparison to Dye is just not even close. Dye was a southern guy, who played and coached in the SEC. Learned under the greatest coach of all time (and learned to cheat from him, btw). Harsin doesn't have that experience. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, selias said:

I seriously question the football knowledge of so many Auburn fans right now and if they realize the hole in which Double Bubble left the program.

That is fixin' to be my default response to so many of these chicken littles.

I just wish a single one of you guys with this take would explain how we found ourselves ahead in so many of these ball games. How did a team with such deficiencies have #1 Alabama beat for 59 minutes? 28-0 at home against MSU. Up 14-0 at USC. Up late today.

If you have the talent to jump out to those leads you have the talent to maintain them. 

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I just wish a single one of you guys with this take would explain how we found ourselves ahead in so many of these ball games. How did a team with such deficiencies have #1 Alabama beat for 59 minutes? 28-0 at home against MSU. Up 14-0 at USC. Up late today.

If you have the talent to jump out to those leads you have the talent to maintain them. 

Lack. Of. Depth.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

16 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

This got flipped on you. Nobody is saying his Boise past means he will automatically fail. But there is no precedent for it, like you're suggesting.

Your comparison to Dye is just not even close. Dye was a southern guy, who played and coached in the SEC. Learned under the greatest coach of all time (and learned to cheat from him, btw). Harsin doesn't have that experience. 

This reads as a strong expectation of Harsin failing

From Carnell

'" said that back when we hired him.  He is from the Mountain west conference and he had no idea about plsycallig.  If he had called more playaction passes on first down would have made a difference but that idiot from the mountain west conference doesn't even know what a play action pass is"

Just as with Harsin now, at the time Dye was hired no one knew if he would be successful or not. He had just finished a 5-6 season at Wyoming. And playing/coaching under Bryant doesn't guarantee success re Charlie Pell and Sylvester Croom. <takes a peek at where Saban played and coached prior to coaching at LSU>

Edited by SumterAubie

36 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

So maybe don't dish to Shaq late in a game or let TJ throw bombs with a slim lead and 6 minutes left. There was nothing, nothing, nothing from the previous 54 minutes of football that pointed to TJ being able to make those throws today.

This is dumb. You don't throw it to Shaq late in the game or give your guys a chance to pounce and win after a turnover?? Maybe next time you couch you can do it differently

1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

This is dumb. You don't throw it to Shaq late in the game or give your guys a chance to pounce and win after a turnover?? Maybe next time you couch you can do it differently

No. With a lead late in a game you absolutely don't dish it to Shaq. And you don't throw with TJ Finley. We had the LEAD and just needed a few first downs.

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

This reads as a strong expectation of Harsin failing

From Carnell

'" said that back when we hired him.  He is from the Mountain west conference and he had no idea about plsycallig.  If he had called more playaction passes on first down would have made a difference but that idiot from the mountain west conference doesn't even know what a play action pass is"

Just as with Harsin now, at the time Dye was hired no one knew if he would be successful or not. He had just finished a 5-6 season at Wyoming. And playing/coaching under Bryant doesn't guarantee success re Charlie Pell and Sylvester Croom. <takes a peek at where Saban played and coached prior to coaching at LSU>

Just stop. It's a dumb comparison and you're making it worse. Dye studied under the master on how to have success in the SEC, he had southern recruiting ties, a cultural understanding, and experience from playing and coaching in SEC football. Harsin doesn't have any of those things.

"Pat Dye also came from a small school in the Mountains, just like CBH! And he was great! See, there's precedent!"

Well, they also both breathed oxygen and wore ball caps. That's just about as relevant a similarity to mention the two sharing. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Lack. Of. Depth.

One could make a valid argument for that on defense. But our offense is the one blowing all these games. 

We keep having situations like today where the defense plays excellent, but the offense can't shut the door with first downs or clutch points. 

Texas A&M we didn't allow an offensive TD. USC we held to 21. Alabama we held to 3 points for what should have been all of regulation. Even against MSU, if our offense stops the bleeding and does anything except repeatedly giving the ball right back to Will Rogers, we probably win that game. 

Defenses get worn down but offenses don't. You don't exactly platoon O-linemen to keep guys fresh. 

• Like 1

And to add to the post above, the one thing that gives me hope coming out of this year is Derek Mason. He has been incredible. But if CBH's offense can't score or hold onto leads then we are basically just gonna be a retread of the 2008 team. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

The issues are the OL, QB, and lack of talent.  Gus is the reason for all of that. Harsin is responsible for not adjusting better to what he has no matter how bad the talent level is 

I agree completely. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

So let’s play a game:

Harsin:15%

Bobo:

OL:20%

QB play:

Defense:5%

Lack of overall talent: 25%

Gus: 35%

Illuminati/other: 

Harsin- has finished his first season on a 5 game losing streak. AU has blown a lead in most if not all 5 losses, and looked inept in several 2nd halves of said games. Already fired 2 offensive coaches and Friend's future appears to be unclear.

OL- Harsin and the entire offense have been limited in what they can do by a group that isn't SEC average esp. in run blocking. Pass blocking hasn't been as bad but not great. Not sure how to split this and overall talent.

Defense- I only put them on here because of Mason's lack of substitution, which led to some 2nd half fatigue. 

Lack of overall talent- Minus Tank, not a single player on offense would see significant playing time for any of the top half SEC teams. And not many middle tier teams. Defense is in better shape but McCreary is the only real elite guy there.

Gus- took an absolute wrecking ball to OL recruiting. Just unbelievable at this level. In an era of everyone throwing the ball around he left an OL that struggles blocking, QB's who cant complete basic throws and probably the weakest WR group in the SEC. Just a train wreck.

And I'm firmly convinced getting rid of Gus was the right move, the mistake was keeping him around too long. I'm also not sure hiring Harsin was the right move but hopefully things work out.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

I agree completely. 

Knowing the disease is gone, we can now begin to treat the symptoms.  I don't know if CBH will get us there, but I fully believe he can.  I appreciate his deliberate and calculating approach. I also like that he doesn't think he's the smartest guy in the room.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, shabby said:

My problem is less about the play calling and more about why DD wasn't ready to go or why Finley hadn't developed more this season. Every year we state that the back ups just weren't that good. it's time to take the approach of why weren't they that good. did they lack the raw talent or lack the development coaching?

i am no expert but my biggest disappointment was not giving dd a chance. i know harsin did the ol coach speak to make houston get ready for two qb's and i understand the game was really close but why not give the kid a shot? maybe he gives everyone a lift including tj? it makes me wonder if dd is ready or coach is hard headed? i saw tj get knocked down so hard ont time i was afraid he was not getting back up. maybe not playing dd was a blessing but dd has wheels and brings more to the game. as for play calling many of you banged bobo for throwing the fade in the endzone when it was second and goal i think? harsin does pretty much the same thing. is it because they did not have time to make enough changes on offense? i noticed harsin would have a nice play for first down and harsin does the up the middle run like gus does. and again i am glad gus is gone because he left us holding the bag talent wise in some important positions. but why does gus get a lot of grief and harsin not so much? anyway with all that being said i think we win the game if they did not give houstons qb a break throwing the ball away with no receivers in the area. was it a bad call like i think? i was so depressed after the game i went to take a nap and just woke up at three am. we struggled too much with the last two years especially with gus and now this year. and while i am thinking out loud how does gus do so bad the last couple of years and go down to ucf and win nine games his first year running the same O that does not work anymore? is it talent? hell they beat us when we had gus. i am beginning to think we are snake bit. and at 66 and bad health i just do not think i have many years left to see some glory days from auburn before i check out. and as mad as guys are i am just sad.