New QB Zach Calzada

Tony4AU

17 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Serious question. Did we get better? Compared to Nix? I am not wanting Nix back, but this guy ranked behind Nix in almost every category; pct completion, ypa, QBR, and yardage. Now he comes in and has to learn the system, receivers, etc. So are we better? I am not saying we aren't but I don't see the past performance to say we are. Feels break even at best.

Hard to say. Nix improved in one year with Harsin. I agree that Calzada didn't look great, but I would say the same about Mond for all the years he started at A&M. It's possible that Calzada could look better in Auburn's offense. I guess we will find out...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Probably not. But Calzada was not recruited away from being a starter for a division rival to be a backup for us. Maybe he can transfer again if we get CW, much like Gabriel.

Also fairly sure Calzada was not starting again between Haynes King and them shopping for another transfer guy (eventually Max Johnson) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Don't post anything but outright endorsements, please. Those are the rules now, apparently. 

How about let's not trash every move the coaching staff makes as stupid just because it doesn't go along with what you want to happen in the specific instance?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, kennypowers said:

I don't delete posts just because I learned something or proved myself incorrect.

Mad Respect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Looks like the NIL Calzada got is not bad:  Venditori's Italian Restaurant is paying $20,000 per month for a life-size cardboard cutout & signed pictures  and $25,000 per win and 2 calzones via Uber Eats on Sundays, with bread sticks.    

That is just the first one I can find....Dominos may be jumping on board also.  

Welcome to the family!

20,000 a month for Zac Calzada. 

5 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

$20,000 per month????!

Restaurants usually have tight margins. If it's $20k per month this place is a money laundering operation 😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

He struggles with accuracy, especially behind the LOS and close. These are all really really bad rankings in the SEC.

So the game the LSU game that you posted his pass chart on, doesn't paint a full picture at all. Actually paints quite the opposite of the truth. Same way that all you people just looking at his stats do not know if that is the full picture or not and then you base your reaction purely off stats. I encourage you to at least go watch a few games and then formulate an opinion unlike this guy.

I posted a video of this particular game below.

He was 20-35 for 242 with a completion % of 57.1 and 3 TD to 0 int.

Of his 15 incompletions, 6 were straight drops. OF those 6, 4 were 100% on the WR as the ball hit them in the numbers. 1 more of those 6 could technically be called a drop as it hit the WR in the hands, but it was a late thrown ball and the DB arrived virtually same time. I would fault that decision more than the throw.  There was really only 1 that I feel the blame should have been on ZC of those drops.

Of the remaining 9 incompletions, 2 balls were tipped at the LOS. This happens sometimes and you can't call a QB inaccurate for tipped balls. 2 out of 35 with the pressure they were getting is not bad.

of the remaining 7 incompletions, 1 was under pressure and he just threw it to the sidelines to give his man a chance. I believe it was caught just out of bounds. Better than taking the sack

That leaves us with 6 incompletions. On 3 of these, he was hit with immediate pressure He had 4 overthrows and one that was low and one that I am not really ever sure who he was throwing it to. 

It is also worth noting that he injured his shoulder in this game. At the time of the injury I believe he only had 4 incompetions and one of those was the sideline throw away I mentioned, 1 was a tipped, and the other 2 dropped. 

So as you can see, stats and charts and graphs do not tell the full story as W.E.D knows because I am fairly sure if you go searching through his posts you can definitely find him defending Bo and blaming WRs for dropping passes. How is this kid different?

I will review the 5 worst games of his tonight when I get more time and do the same little break down. Stay tuned.

Edited by Tigerpro2a
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

How about let's not trash every move the coaching staff makes as stupid just because it doesn't go along with what you want to happen in the specific instance?

I don't trash *every* move. Not trashing this one at all if we can get an additional QB after him to compete. If we get CW or Thompson from Texas or another viable guy I think the competition in the room will produce at least one solid QB. 

But if we are done at QB, then no, I won't be happy. But then again, they can always prove me wrong if they make ZC into a beast!

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

20,000 a month for Zac Calzada. 

Yea...so players like Caleb Williams can look at AU and think "man if ZC got that...what could I get?"

I love it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Don't post anything but outright endorsements, please. Those are the rules now, apparently. 

I fixed it.....

It was a joke.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

That was a joke.

Whew lol

But it’s incredibly sad that I didn’t know that. That’s what it’s gotten to.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Serious question. Did we get better? Compared to Nix? I am not wanting Nix back, but this guy ranked behind Nix in almost every category; pct completion, ypa, QBR, and yardage. Now he comes in and has to learn the system, receivers, etc. So are we better? I am not saying we aren't but I don't see the past performance to say we are. Feels break even at best.

I don't think Bo was great but I would have taken senior Bo, in year 2 under Harsin, over anybody currently in the room.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Wasnt someone else the projected starter for TAMU and Calzada was the back up.  Maybe there is a sleeper that we don’t know about.

Edited by e808

3 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

So the game the LSU game that you posted his pass chart on, doesn't paint a full picture at all. Actually paints quite the opposite of the truth. Same way that all you people just looking at his stats do not know if that is the full picture or not and then you base your reaction purely off stats. I encourage you to at least go watch a few games and then formulate an opinion unlike this guy.

I posted a video of this particular game below.

He was 20-35 for 242 with a completion % of 57.1 and 3 TD to 0 int.

Of his 15 incompletions, 6 were straight drops. OF those 6, 4 were 100% on the WR as the ball hit them in the numbers. 1 more of those 6 could technically be called a drop as it hit the WR in the hands, but it was a late thrown ball and the DB arrived virtually same time. I would fault that decision more than the throw.  There was really only 1 that I feel the blame should have been on ZC of those drops.

Of the remaining 9 incompletions, 2 balls were tipped at the LOS. This happens sometimes and you can't call a QB inaccurate for tipped balls. 2 out of 35 with the pressure they were getting is not bad.

of the remaining 7 incompletions, 1 was under pressure and he just threw it to the sidelines to give his man a chance. I believe it was caught just out of bounds. Better than taking the sack

That leaves us with 6 incompletions. On 3 of these, he was hit with immediate pressure He had 4 overthrows and one that was low and one that I am not really ever sure who he was throwing it to. 

It is also worth noting that he injured his shoulder in this game. At the time of the injury I believe he only had 4 incompetions and one of those was the sideline throw away I mentioned, 1 was a tipped, and the other 2 dropped. 

So as you can see, stats and charts and graphs do not tell the full story as W.E.D knows because I am fairly sure if you go searching through his posts you can definitely find him defending Bo and blaming WRs for dropping passes. How is this kid different?

I will review the 5 worst games of his tonight when I get more time and do the same little break down. Stay tuned.

I will say this and only once:

If Harsin and new OC want this guy  - Beaker wants this guy!!

Seriously:

They see enough in him to develop him.   And with our nasty - a$$ defense next year, we won't need a ton of points to win a bunch of games.

This Calzone dude is gonna be just fine, just get your bread sticks ready!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

do-you-not-see-a-pattern-here-laura-linn

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I don't trash *every* move. Not trashing this one at all if we can get an additional QB after him to compete. If we get CW or Thompson from Texas or another viable guy I think the competition in the room will produce at least one solid QB. 

But if we are done at QB, then no, I won't be happy. But then again, they can always prove me wrong if they make ZC into a beast!

But you trash every move you disagree with, don't you? You don't bother to consider that maybe that move was better than not making a move, or better than any alternative moves available to be made, or even that maybe the coaches have a little better insight into how things are going than you do.

So, as an Auburn fan, explain to me the benefits of publicly trashing anything done by a new coaching staff trying to get their legs under them? Is it just so you feel better, or do you think it improves the image of the program to talk badly about Harsin's decisions?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

No, you just can't stand anything other than sycophantic, unconditional praise for every move made by our football team. 

Adding a player is NEVER a bad thing unless he's a cancer to the team. No indication ZC is that at all. Glad he is here. Don't automatically think he is the answer or the best QB we could get from the portal, though.

You're very indicative of American discourse. Very black and white. "You don't think ZC is a great QB?! So that means you hate him!". Just calm down.

Man, you would've hate to know how critical I was of Malzahn the last three years of his tenure, because it directly refutes your first statement.  Further, your last statement is another beautiful example of a straw-man argument where you actually allege I said something that I never said. Again.  I agree with your middle statement though.

Lastly, I believe myself to be one of the more reasonable and least emotional posters on here because I try my hardest to not view these things as a fan but from the perspective of a coach or player.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yes to the first question. Maybe to the second question. I was only comparing us now to the minute before we landed Calzada.

From that perspective, we are better.

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

But you trash every move you disagree with, don't you? You don't bother to consider that maybe that move was better than not making a move, or better than any alternative moves available to be made, or even that maybe the coaches have a little better insight into how things are going than you do.

So, as an Auburn fan, explain to me the benefits of publicly trashing anything done by a new coaching staff trying to get their legs under them? Is it just so you feel better, or do you think it improves the image of the program to talk badly about Harsin's decisions?

1. Point out the exact language I used that you'd consider "trashing" this move.

2. What I, or you, or anyone on this board says positively or negatively has exactly 0 impact on Auburn football. It is not any of our responsibilities to craft our speech in a certain way on here. This place is better when people speak openly and honestly what they feel.

The true function of this board is to discuss football get a pulse on what the Auburn fan base is feeling. If you're looking for positive tints on all our moves, I think the official athletic department usually has press releases available.

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

not one of the most negative posters #onhere getting cooked 

0E5217FE-77BA-490A-8914-5F98D4DB0533.gif

Practice? We talking bout practice? nah man, I'm talking about screen play responsibility...

• Haha 1

A believe in theory the jury is out on whether the team got better. Definitely more competition in the room. He was going to be the backup like TJ but he had more starts at the position than TJ this year

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Didba said:

Only knew of Winston and Mond so I stand corrected.

While I may agree with AU Civil to an extent, point out to me which of those QBs he named had more than mediocre success in the pros, which on the case of Caleb Williams, is the definitive endgame. Maybe you can say Winston, but 30 tds and 30 ints didn’t convince Tampa to keep him any longer, so how well does Fisher really prepare QBs for the NFL? At best I would give him a D! 

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I’m going to get downvoted into oblivion, but lemme just say this. This post is ridiculous. Of course he’s getting trashed by fans! That’s part of the job. He just took a promising team who beat Ole Miss and was in control of their own destiny half way through the season and went on a 5 game, ugggggly losing streak, where there was hardly any offense generated at all. And yes a ton of that is due to Bo going down, but the guy who came in for Bo was picked out by HARSIN. And TJ looked about as bad in those 5 games as any quarterback we’ve seen here since Tubs left. And now, Harsin has gone out and brought in a QB who is statistically worse in almost every measurable category to the guy we fans just ran off for being not good enough. 

So yes, people are upset and have lost some of the trust and positivity they had this time last year. It’s on Harsin to fix it. And he absolutely deserves the low confidence at this point. Hell he’d probably tell you that.

• Like 3