New QB Zach Calzada

Tony4AU

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

But my actual prediction on whether ZC will be great isn't based on my hopes. 

What do you base it off of? 

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I don't know why people conflate rooting against someone with your assessment of their abilities

Would you mind breaking down your assessment of his abilities and why for us, please?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Didba said:

You think getting ZC precludes us from getting another QB? Just curious, not coming at you

I hope not but I don’t think someone like Caleb would be heading here with another starting QB commitment. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Feel like we take another young QB with potential. Him or luck into a UGa transfer.

Long game vs proven starter (mainly bc there aren't any)

Also Geriner coming in.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I hope not but I don’t think someone like Caleb would be heading here with another starting QB commitment. 

Pretty sure we are still after Caleb hard. He won't care who's on the roster. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

I was honestly hoping Calzada wouldn't come to auburn but alas here we are. Hope he does good, obviously

But do you? Really? Do you hope Harsin does good? Or are you so invested in being right that you hope we fail so you can be proved superior to the AU folks that try to be positive? I wonder sometimes. I will support the coach until he wins or is fired for not winning. It's a choice I make every day, about almost everything. To be positive or negative. Some of you guys should try it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

What do you base it off of? 

Would you mind breaking down your assessment of his abilities and why for us, please?

I base it off of a full season of work in the same division as us, working with a deeper, more talented roster. I don't see any logical explanation as to how you can *expect* him to play better on a worse team against the same competition, while learning a new system. 

It may happen, but you're banking on a corner being turned drastically. You aren't basing your assumptions on his film or stats.

• Thanks 1

The free testosterone is running wild tonight! Perhaps some Jack Daniels too. If fan opinions (right or wrong) could produce results we’d have 20 national championships. I’m gonna let this play out (No choice). Not my QB1 choice, but I believe this staff considered the variables and made their decision based on factors beyond what fans see.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JuscAUse! said:

But do you? Really? Do you hope Harsin does good? Or are you so invested in being right that you hope we fail so you can be proved superior to the AU folks that try to be positive? I wonder sometimes. I will support the coach until he wins or is fired for not winning. It's a choice I make every day, about almost everything. To be positive or negative. Some of you guys should try it. 

Haha what?

Yeah of course I want him to do good which is why I wish we invested in getting the pieces we have almost all unilaterally stated we need which is wr and Oline. Like others have mentioned, Calzada had those pieces at atm and was an alright qb. This isn't about hating harsin.

14 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

My bad....I'll just be over here

giphy.gif

😂, Oh man, that's perfect, I didn't know if we had any TPBs fans on AUfamily so that was a shot in the dark

13 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

With four qb's on the roster I'd hope we aren't trying to find a 5th although presumably someone is going to transfer out when they realize their position on he depth chart. Hopefully we are targeting wr's and Oline now.

Odd man out has to be DD, right? 

12 minutes ago, cbo said:

Pretty sure we are still after Caleb hard. He won't care who's on the roster. 

I have no doubt we are after him. Why wouldn’t we be? 

2 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Haha what?

Yeah of course I want him to do good which is why I wish we invested in getting the pieces we have almost all unilaterally stated we need which is wr and Oline. Like others have mentioned, Calzada had those pieces at atm and was an alright qb. This isn't about hating harsin.

No it's not and maybe I posted this to the wrong guy. Gus would have never beaten uat and thuga back go back if I was the AD. He would have been fired in Athens when he lost to the worst uga team I've seen in a couple of decades. But the point was that you have a choice in everything, and I choose to be positive. If the coaches are wrong about everything I've read on here the last few months, they won't last long. But I will support them until then. Or a game like the one mentioned above. 

9 minutes ago, tomcat said:

The free testosterone is running wild tonight! Perhaps some Jack Daniels too. If fan opinions (right or wrong) could produce results we’d have 20 national championships. I’m gonna let this play out (No choice). Not my QB1 choice, but I believe this staff considered the variables and made their decision based on factors beyond what fans see.

That's fair. I like it.

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I mean you could also say that none of us are as good as Gus Malzahn at evaluating and coaching quarterbacks. But we all know how good he turned out to be. 

Here we go; Gus Malzshn spotted in yet another post! 😂

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I have no doubt we are after him. Why wouldn’t we be? 

Right, I'm just saying I don't think Calzada committing tells us anything about the Caleb situation. 

THE FOLLOWING IS STRICTLY CONJECTURE:

So I think the staff took Calzada because they see potential for growth with a high ceiling and they probably evaluated that Calzada has a higher ability% to hit those TD passes TJ missed in the bowl game.  So that if we miss out on CW or one of the other QB targets, we have a guy on roster, that can give us a decent chance of winning games over what TJ has shown thus far.  Coaches are apparently still pursuing other transfer QBs hard but if they miss at least we have Calzada to be a stopgap QB until Geriner is ready to be QB1.  If Calzada was QB2 behind Bo last year we may have been able to beat Bama and probably would have beaten Houston by at least a TD.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

The one thing that concerns me with this headline, and I agree it’s a good thing, is what it suggests about Davis’s development.

Man I was so confused.  I thought you meant our new OC coach and not DD for a second there.

1 minute ago, cbo said:

Right, I'm just saying I don't think Calzada committing tells us anything about the Caleb situation. 

Not at all we very much in it for now. For now being the key words

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I think the staff took Calzada because they see potential for growth with a high ceiling and they probably evaluated that Calzada has a higher ability% to hit those TD passes TJ missed in the bowl game.  So that if we miss out on CW or one of the other QB targets, we have a guy on roster, that can give us a decent chance of winning games over what TJ has shown thus far.  Coaches are apparently still pursuing other transfer QBs hard but if they miss at least we have Calzada to be a stopgap QB until Geriner is ready to be QB1.  If Calzada was QB2 behind Bo last year we may have been able to beat Bama and probably would have beaten Houston by at least a TD.

Respectfully I think that’s hard to say because Calzada played in more games than TJ did last year. Who knows how he does if the roles are reversed with less talent around him.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I am a loooong time fan of TPB!!!!!!

You love to see it, boys!!!!

• Haha 1

As they should be .