New QB Zach Calzada

Tony4AU

Does he have ice water in his veins?  Can throw a football through a car wash without it getting wet? Does he paint pictures with his balls? These are the attributes we should be discussing.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

It's not a good look, based purely off production. But besides when they played AU.... I don't watch a&m games. What's their O-line look like? He got sacked more than Bo, but that could be line/scheme/Bo's ability to escape pressure?

image.png

I believe their starting center and one of the tackles were out for several games

• Like 1

In his game against us, ZC went for 15-29 for 192 with 51.7% completion percentage.

Of his 14 incompletions, 1 was tipped, and 4 were drops 100% on the WR. 

Of the remaining 9, 1 looked like a miscommunication on the route in the RZ.

OF the remaining 8, 2 balls were broken up by WR on accurate balls thrown, our DBs just made amazing plays.

Of the remaining 6, 1 was a throw away.

That leaves 5 passes that were bad passes. Nearly all were over throws. 

Again, the stats look bad but that is not horrible when you actually watch the game. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

This was his scouting report out of high school.....

At times throws off back foot. Production has been pedestrian during junior and senior seasons. Possesses a promising physical ceiling and encouraging playmaking feel for the game to give him Power 5 starter potential.

concerned GIFs | Reaction GIFs

Edited by cbo
  • Haha 4

Well hopefully the defense is ready lol. They better give Mason a raise. Maybe he will surprise me 

• Love 1

39 minutes ago, Didba said:

@Tigerpro2a  I don't know why it wont let me quote your wonderful write-up of why Calzada's stats are deceptive but your post is the exact reason I was saying just pure stats are not a good evaluation of a player and that the coach's eyes on film is a better evaluation tool than anything we can do as fans merely looking at stats.

I'd like to see someone who knows QB mechanics break down Calzada's film and give their opinion.  I wish I could do it but QB is not my field of knowledge.

I am no expert, but here is my take. 

The Good...

A lot of people mention his release in a bad way, I think he actually has a very good release. The ball comes out fast. He has a nice turn over on his deep balls. He has a cannon too and is a better deep ball thrower than we have had in a minute.

For the most part, he puts the ball in a position for the WR to catch and make a football play. Especially on the short stuff like dump offs to RBs or screens which is important because the guys need to catch it in stride. Part of why Mac Jones was so good for Bama. 

He has pretty solid footwork in his drops. He does tend to throw off his back foot a good bit, but appears much more accurate when he does than Nix. (it also isn't as frequent imo)

HE does seem capable of going through progressions. 

He isn't Bo in terms of terms of escaping the pocket, but he isn't a statue like TJ either. He is more than capable of extending plays when needed.

His pocket awareness is decent, but could always improve. 

The Bad....

He tends to get a little happy feet at times and likes to bounce a bt much for my liking, but Im honestly probably nit picking.

He needs to look off his WRs a little better IMO. There are some plays where he does this well, but you can also find plays where he stairs his man down from the snap. 

He needs work on throwing angles and windows. He tends to get passes tipped at the LOS. 

Makes a few questionable throws each game in terms of decision. I actually like it because if you watch his games, he also threads the needle in key times because of his willingness to take a chance and ends up making huge plays.

I think he is better off at this point than Bo was by far. With a full spring, summer, and fall camp I expect Harsin and Davis to have a legit QB1 of SEC caliber by fall if this is the guy we roll with. The tools are there. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I am no expert, but here is my take. 

The Good...

A lot of people mention his release in a bad way, I think he actually has a very good release. The ball comes out fast. He has a nice turn over on his deep balls. He has a cannon too and is a better deep ball thrower than we have had in a minute.

For the most part, he puts the ball in a position for the WR to catch and make a football play. Especially on the short stuff like dump offs to RBs or screens which is important because the guys need to catch it in stride. Part of why Mac Jones was so good for Bama. 

He has pretty solid footwork in his drops. He does tend to throw off his back foot a good bit, but appears much more accurate when he does than Nix. (it also isn't as frequent imo)

HE does seem capable of going through progressions. 

He isn't Bo in terms of terms of escaping the pocket, but he isn't a statue like TJ either. He is more than capable of extending plays when needed.

His pocket awareness is decent, but could always improve. 

The Bad....

He tends to get a little happy feet at times and likes to bounce a bt much for my liking, but Im honestly probably nit picking.

He needs to look off his WRs a little better IMO. There are some plays where he does this well, but you can also find plays where he stairs his man down from the snap. 

He needs work on throwing angles and windows. He tends to get passes tipped at the LOS. 

Makes a few questionable throws each game in terms of decision. I actually like it because if you watch his games, he also threads the needle in key times because of his willingness to take a chance and ends up making huge plays.

I think he is better off at this point than Bo was by far. With a full spring, summer, and fall camp I expect Harsin and Davis to have a legit QB1 of SEC caliber by fall if this is the guy we roll with. The tools are there. 

This is a great write up.  Thanks for this.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

So we are only saying that college coaches who have coached pro bowlers are worthy of praise now? Come on. How many NFL quarterbacks in the last 25 years are anything more than mediocre ?

Jimbo developed those guys to a point where they got drafted 1st round by real experts. At that point it’s up to the player and the scheme to make the player a star. 

So the offensive scheme in college has no bearing on the transition to the NFL? Plus, if you think getting drafted 1st round by an NFL team means anything anymore, predicted by supposed experts, then ask Josh Rosen, Trubiskey, Tua  and countless others. Miami is talking about moving on from Tua, who was a very good college QB. The nFL relies on college coaching to an extent, plus Brady proved all predictions by the so called experts wrong 20 years ago. Naturally bill belichick took Mac Jones and is having success, but that is like saying Bama didn’t prep Tua the same as Mac. Some programs develop QBs better in college. Look at USC over the years with Carson Palmer, Leinhart, Barkley, etc. Same college program, scheme and coach 

40 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That's fair. However, being critical and being negative aren't synonymous.

We don't know what a new offensive scheme, new coaching, or new teammates will bring forth.  I wasn't overly impressed with his overall play last season, but there are a good number of plays that did flash from his film.  He has potential and I'm not willing to write him off as a bust or even a poor man's Bo.  

But he's going to be playing with a worst supporting cast than he had at aTm. His improvement will have to be enormous.

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well hopefully the defense is ready lol. They better give Mason a raise. Maybe he will surprise me 

Why do you hate and hope Zach will fail, DAG?

• Haha 1

Just now, jAUSon said:

We don't really know sh*t about what all this means. I'm down with it. War Eagle ZC.

I mean... we have a full season of games against the same exact teams he'll face at Auburn. We have somewhat of an indicator of what we are getting. The wild card is the staff's ability to develop him. But that's purely an unknown. 

Just now, AUght2win said:

Why do you hate and hope Zach will fail, DAG?

I’m just not impressed with the previous results. I do hope he proves me wrong. In reality I am just salty because I wanted Ward or Williams. I am definitely rooting for Zach to have success though. 

• Like 2

The good thing is I think are defense will be damn straight next year. So we can afford a pedestrian QB. All I ask is make the simple throws. That honestly was the difference in about two to three games we could’ve won. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kennypowers said:

Not impressed w/ the kid.  I was at the game in college station.  Kid is on the same level as Finley jmo       BUT, I also don't head coach the greatest college football team of all time either.  Let's see what Harsin can do w/ the kid.

Disliked for having an opinion 😃   People are so weak now  😙

Maybe they dislike your opinion????? People are so weak now.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I’m just not impressed with the previous results. I do hope he proves me wrong. In reality I am just salty because I wanted Ward or Williams. I am definitely rooting for Zach to have success though. 

As am I. I hope every QB from here until the end of time is the best we've ever had. But my actual prediction on whether ZC will be great isn't based on my hopes. 

I don't know why people conflate rooting against someone with your assessment of their abilities. Makes no sense. 

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

But he's going to be playing with a worst supporting cast than he had at aTm. His improvement will have to be enormous.

Okay

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

The good thing is I think are defense will be damn straight next year. So we can afford a pedestrian QB. All I ask is make the simple throws. That honestly was the difference in about two to three games we could’ve won. 

Dag if you watch his tapes, based on his performance this year at Tex AM I think we would have won 3 more with him this year. He does make the simple throws and he is pretty good on the deep throws as well. He tends to miss on 15-25 yard passes when faced with pressure. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

You think getting ZC precludes us from getting another QB? Just curious, not coming at you

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

giphy.gif

HEY! That's my thing, frig off Lahey!

41 minutes ago, Didba said:

I believe their starting center and one of the tackles were out for several games

Context helps

33 minutes ago, DAG said:

#firemason!

2 minutes ago, Didba said:

You think getting ZC precludes us from getting another QB? Just curious, not coming at you

No, were still very much in it with Williams.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Didba said:

I don't think it precludes us but with so many other guys committed elsewhere, this could be a sign the staff thinks ZC is the best they can get.