New QB Zach Calzada

Tony4AU

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

What you said plus this. Coming off a 6-7 season, Harsin knows full well what is at stake. It’s his job on the line and he has chosen this QB. Him and Austin Davis must see something they like a lot. 

I keep forgetting about Austin Davis 🤪

It appears that Casey Thompson has us pretty high as well. We may not land Williams, but if we land Thompson, a battle for QB1 between Thompson, Calzada, TJ and DD is a good thing.

Welcome to the Plains, Zach Calzada!

Edited by TheDob06
  • Like 8

Harsin and Davis know a helluva lot more about QB development, scouting, mechanics etc. than I do so if they think Calzada is the guy then I am on board.  You guys saying this is terrible need to take a step back and really evaluate how you think you know more about this stuff then our coaches.

I just don't get all the negativity, Calzoney is the prototypical QB for Harsin's system.  If Harsin and Davis believe they can develop him to efficiently run this offense then it would be a huge upgrade over Nix who could only effectively run the offense about 50% of the time and TJ who could only run it 25% of the time.

Also keep in mind the general consensus is that Auburn will likely sign one more QB through the transfer portal besides Calzada.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

What you said plus this. Coming off a 6-7 season, Harsin knows full well what is at stake. It’s his job on the line and he has chosen this QB. Him and Austin Davis must see something they like a lot. 

Did he have a better option? I doubt more talented players were available due to problems on the OL and WR. There are more openings than talented QBs. 

Here are some quick highlights from last season. A lot of my doubts come from our game against him, but we also made the Heisman trophy winner look bad, so maybe I'm being unfair.

He throws strikes and has nice footwork. Can move if he needs to and doesn't seem to panic when the pocket gives way, which will be a must with us. 

https://youtu.be/a6sv5DvvDRE

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Hopefully this doesn't end our QB portal recruiting. But I'm afraid it will. 

The general consensus is Auburn will add another QB through the transfer portal so luckily your fears are misplaced... as usual.

• Haha 3

He's at least as good as anything we currently have on the roster. 

Next year is going to be ugly, folks. A lot of neglect from the previous staff is going to be even more obvious next season unless near miracles happen in the portal, which isn't likely. We need depth. This guy is depth. That's where we are. 

Everyone who has been pumping the "long road of culture"? We're on it for better or worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

This is a replacement but not for Bo. CW visiting next week per reports. People need to calm down and relax. Patience.

Facts. People on this forum need to learn to have less knee jerk reactions.  Harsin and Davis are experts when it comes to QB, I don't know jack about QB evaluation or development so I defer to the experts like many of you should do before passing judgement.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, wcware said:

It’s my opinion. There is a pattern with the Auburn beat

You know I am not the type of guy to say opinions are wrong because by definition they can't be but sometimes you guys on here make declarative statements and then say "well that's just my opinion", and I really just want to say 1) not an opinion and 2) its wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cbo said:

Thank you. I didn't see TAMU much this season. 

Anyone else have an analysis of Calzada other than "he sucks, we suck" or "he beat Bama"? Strengths and weaknesses? Did he progress over the season?

He had 1 good game vs Alabama.  1 OK game.  Every other game was sub 60% comp%.  He is really really inaccurate to most parts of the field.

IDK, maybe Harsin can make him better....but if you just look at stats, look at his performance, look at his rankings. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be super supportive and happy about

This doesn't lead to good offense...

Maybe a different offense will help him????

He struggles with accuracy, especially behind the LOS and close. These are all really really bad rankings in the SEC.

Not good.

Can't even blame it on drops....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Didba said:

Facts. People on this forum need to learn to have less knee jerk reactions.  Harsin and Davis are experts when it comes to QB, I don't know jack about QB evaluation or development so I defer to the experts like many of you should do before passing judgement.

I don't care if people share their knee-jerk reactions.  Just come back later and show why you still feel that way or why you've changed your thoughts.  My knee-jerk reaction was "gross", but after watching film and reading scouting reports, I think he could do very well.

Just don't react toxically and disappear or constantly insult others.  We have to constantly work on ourselves...in every outlet where others are involved.  It's the only way we grow and become better humans.

• Like 7

Some of you are so fragile, and don't have a reasonable bone in your bodies.  First, sign of anything you can construe as negative and all of a sudden the world is ending.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Goodness...we just had a player CHOOSE to come and be one of us.  That should be celebrated and he certainly shouldn't be booed before he even gets a chance.  Some of you need to take a step back and be more supportive or take a step forward and go ahead and jump, your behavior is embarrassing.

Welcome home ZC, good luck and War Eagle!

Some on here are better QB evaluators than Harsin or Davis... Didn't you know that Bird?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cbo said:

Thank you. I didn't see TAMU much this season. 

Anyone else have an analysis of Calzada other than "he sucks, we suck" or "he beat Bama"? Strengths and weaknesses? Did he progress over the season?

He has a rocket arm, seems to have trouble with touch at times but not near as much as TJ or Bo.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Him and Austin Davis must see something they like a lot. 

Crazy how people on here don't get this.

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He had 1 good game vs Alabama.  1 OK game.  Every other game was sub 60% comp%.  He is really really inaccurate to most parts of the field.

IDK, maybe Harsin can make him better....but if you just look at stats, look at his performance, look at his rankings. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be super supportive and happy about

Haha. Don’t be bringing in actual numbers and statistics, you negative Nancy! Bryan Harsin chose Calzada, so you need just trust the process! 

Also, Bo Nix being number one is deep ball accuracy is just 🤯

• Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

23 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Watching his film has improved my opinion.  If he can get rid of that little baseball wrist snap, or at least improve the mechanics a little, I think he could do enough to get us where we should be.  Throws a very catchable ball and more accurate deep than anyone we've had since...can't remember.  Probably Stidham?  Good frame though.

Also, coming from a military school, maybe he's just turn out to be the next best AU QB under Harsin's leadership.

Not sure why you posted the first statement.   The eye test say’s he is more mobile and accurate than TJ.  And that was just from watching him play Alabama.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Didba said:

Some on here are better QB evaluators than Harsin or Davis... Didn't you know that Bird?

I mean you could also say that none of us are as good as Gus Malzahn at evaluating and coaching quarterbacks. But we all know how good he turned out to be. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

I don't care if people share their knee-jerk reactions.  Just come back later and show why you still feel that way or why you've changed your thoughts.  My knee-jerk reaction was "gross", but after watching film and reading scouting reports, I think he could do very well.

Just don't react toxically and disappear or constantly insult others.  We have to constantly work on ourselves...in every outlet where others are involved.  It's the only way we grow and become better humans.

As my Dad used to say to me when I dogged out a player on the team, "He plays football for Auburn University. He's an Auburn man and is doing the best he can. You are watching him." Dad graduated from API in the 1950s. TJ and Zach are players. The coach gets paid to handle negativity, but I just can't get in to bashing players. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Not sure why you posted the first statement.   The eye test say’s he is more mobile and accurate than TJ.  And that was just from watching him play Alabama.  

I don't delete posts just because I learned something or proved myself incorrect.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

I don't delete posts just because I learned something or proved myself incorrect.

It's amazing how many people think that lying on the internet is better than just taking an L with dignity. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

This doesn't lead to good offense...

Maybe a different offense will help him????

He struggles with accuracy, especially behind the LOS and close. These are all really really bad rankings in the SEC.

Not good.

Can't even blame it on drops....

Harsin and Davis clearly think they can develop Calzada to be better than those stats or they wouldn't have recruited him.  You are not a better QB evaluator than Harsin or Davis and stats can't show evaluation from a QB coaches.

W.E.D you are one of my favorite posters mostly because you have really reasonable takes usually.  Take a deep breath my man.

8 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Haha. Don’t be bringing in actual numbers and statistics, you negative Nancy! Bryan Harsin chose Calzada, so you need just trust the process! 

Also, Bo Nix being number one is deep ball accuracy is just 🤯

Stats cannot evaluate a QB like the eyes of the coaches can.