New QB Zach Calzada

Tony4AU

Just now, e808 said:

Respectfully I think that’s hard to say because Calzada played in more games than TJ did last year. Who knows how he does if the roles are reversed with less talent around him.

This is very true, thanks for pointing this out.  Its unfair to TJ to pass judgement on his abilities when he had such limited time as QB1.

• Like 2

So reviewed ZC's worst game according to his QBR which was the Arky game. This is the last one I am doing as I am seeing a trend here. 

Against Arky, ZC was 20-36 for 151 with 0 TD and 1 int.

OF his 16 incompletions......

4 were non catchable balls. (there 2 more that appeared non-catchable but PI was called)

4 were throw aways under pressure.

1 was what I call a throw away with a chance. Basically he is scrambling towards sideline and there is a WR running towards sideline and you throw it to give just your guy a chance. IF he catches is great, if not then you didn't take a sack and there is no chance of an INT.

3 were drops. I will say all 3 were a bit high, but catchable.

1 he was drilled in the back as soon as he started to throw.

1 was tipped and picked off

I don't know what the rest of his games look like but the 3 I randomly chose all tell the same story. He played better than his stats show. Another common trend I see is he didn't get a ton of help from his WRs. I remember watching WRs in Mond's senior season and they seemed to catch anything, helping to boost Mond's stats. I would say ZC is getting the exact opposite. He also is under pressure A LOT! I noticed a lot of snap issues. The ball being high one snap then low. Just little nuances that can add to the difficulties of playing QB.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Here we go; Gus Malzshn spotted in yet another post! 😂

He coached Auburn for 8 years. His name is going to get mentioned. Might as well get used to it.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, Didba said:

This is very true, thanks for pointing this out.  Its unfair to TJ to pass judgement on his abilities when he had such limited time as QB1.

All this talk this entire off season would be different had TJ made about 5 throws IMO

Edited by e808
Typo
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I base it off of a full season of work in the same division as us, working with a deeper, more talented roster. I don't see any logical explanation as to how you can *expect* him to play better on a worse team against the same competition, while learning a new system. 

It may happen, but you're banking on a corner being turned drastically. You aren't basing your assumptions on his film or stats.

My bad if I wasn't clear.  Based off his stats, why do you think he struggled? What do you think is correctable and what do you think is too far gone?

4 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

You really think Caleb Williams cares about what our QB room looks like? Dudes like him are confident in any room. Doesn’t matter what the depth chart looks like. 

I'm certain he cares. Regardless of how confident you are, nobody wants to put themselves into an uncertain situation when it is avoidable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Didba said:

You know I am not the type of guy to say opinions are wrong because by definition they can't be but sometimes you guys on here make declarative statements and then say "well that's just my opinion", and I really just want to say 1) not an opinion and 2) its wrong.

I just think they are BSing for clicks and we are done in the portal and I am fine with that. I’m just tired of the we are in the running for Superman that they seem to always pump and it gets everyone’s hopes up. That’s all. That is also my opinion, so you can think whatever you want about it. That’s the beauty of “my” opinion 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, e808 said:

All this talk this entire off season would be different had TJ made about 5 throws IMO

ain't wrong there, chief.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

My bad if I wasn't clear.  Based off his stats, why do you think he struggled? What do you think is correctable and what do you think is too far gone?

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wcware said:

I just think they are BSing for clicks and we are done in the portal and I am fine with that. I’m just tired of the we are in the running for Superman that they seem to always pump and it gets everyone’s hopes up. That’s all. That is also my opinion, so you can think whatever you want about it. That’s the beauty of “my” opinion 

I believe we’re somewhere between seriously in the mix and not even in the conversation. One of my earlier posts felt like he wouldn’t come because of his personality, but I don’t think that means we don’t have say, a 2% chance 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Haha 1

I don’t know what to think about this new qb. Probably better than anything we already had but not as good as I was hoping for. 

Hopefully in a week or so the thread will be titled "New Backup QB".... seriously, I posted in the recruiting thread but can y'all imagine if we trade Bo, TJ, and Loy for CW, Calzada, and Geriner? Absolutely crazy if it happens (not getting my hopes too high obviously.

Of course, at least one, probably both, of TJ and DD leave, but I could care less. BDH would have run off all 4 from this year and completely overhauled if that happens lol.

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I believe we’re somewhere between seriously in the mix and not even in the conversation. One of my earlier posts felt like he wouldn’t come because of his personality, but I don’t think that means we don’t have say, a 2% chance 

So your saying there’s a chance?

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

W.E.D. posted a lot of great rankings earlier in the thread. It's hard for me to believe the kid can be near the bottom in everything from PA throws to clean pocket throws to 3rd passing etc. and it all be bad luck or teammates' fault.

If ZC is a backup and a long term project, I got no problem. I just don't think he is going to get wins as next year's starter. Like I said earlier, I'm hoping we can find a QB that will get us at least the same value we would have gotten from Bo next year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wcware said:

Like I mentioned earlier sometimes it's hard to tell when people are actually stating opinions or are really making declarative statements that are book-ended by "I think" and "that's just my opinion though".  Not saying you are doing that now, that was just the reasoning behind my earlier post.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

He coached Auburn for 8 years. His name is going to get mentioned. Might as well get used to it.

Trust me, I am definitely used to it. 😂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I'm certain he cares. Regardless of how confident you are, nobody wants to put themselves into an uncertain situation when it is avoidable.

Spencer Rattler the #1 QB in 2019’s class was on campus and enrolled in classes at Oklahoma when Caleb Williams committed and signed there. So no, I do not think he cares at all. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Trying to understand how competition in any QB room is going to be non-existent (unless he gets a start guarantee).

Edited by Hank2020

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

W.E.D. posted a lot of great rankings earlier in the thread. It's hard for me to believe the kid can be near the bottom in everything from PA throws to clean pocket throws to 3rd passing etc. and it all be bad luck or teammates' fault.

If ZC is a backup and a long term project, I got no problem. I just don't think he is going to get wins as next year's starter. Like I said earlier, I'm hoping we can find a QB that will get us at least the same value we would have gotten from Bo next year. 

then @Tigerpro2a made film breakdowns that took the stats beyond the paper to see what was actually happening on the field and his analysis does refute some of the extrapolations that were being made from the stats W.E.D. was pulling.  Stats don't tell the whole story which is why it is only one tool in the belt that is player evaluation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Some have trouble excepting, this is the best Harsin can do.

Many on here actually think the top QB’s in the portal and top O-linemen out of high school, junior college or the portal are begging to come to Auburn and Harsin is telling them no.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 4

Just now, AU-24 said:

Many on here actually think the top QB’s in the portal and top O-linemen out of high school, junior college or the portal are begging to come to Auburn and Harsin is telling them no.

No one thinks that, lmao, stop building straw-men to knock down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Trying to understand how competition in any QB room is going to be non-existent (unless hebgetsvavstart guarantee).

I said he cares what the competition is, not that there would be none.