New QB Zach Calzada

Tony4AU

12 minutes ago, wcware said:

I just think they are BSing for clicks and we are done in the portal and I am fine with that. I’m just tired of the we are in the running for Superman that they seem to always pump and it gets everyone’s hopes up. That’s all. That is also my opinion, so you can think whatever you want about it. That’s the beauty of “my” opinion 

BINGO!

6 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Spencer Rattler the #1 QB in 2019’s class was on campus and enrolled in classes at Oklahoma when Caleb Williams committed and signed there. So no, I do not think he cares at all. 

He was.... and CW got on the field only after Rattler crapped the bed.  If Rattler had the season he was expected to have, most wouldn't know who CW was.

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

I said he cares what the competition is, not that there would be none.

Caleb Williams knows he would start at Auburn. It's guaranteed. He doesn't even have to ask. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Didba said:

No one thinks that, lmao, stop building straw-men to knock down.

Yes, I was exaggerating, but I think everyone gets the point.

Just now, Didba said:

then @Tigerpro2a made film breakdowns that took the stats beyond the paper to see what was actually happening on the field and his analysis does refute some of the extrapolations that were being made from the stats W.E.D. was pulling.  Stats don't tell the whole story which is why it is only one tool in the belt that is player evaluation.

All I saw in 2a's assessments were that the kid had a few drops from receivers and had some pressure on him.

So is that going to change at Auburn? 

This is the part of the equation you guys aren't answering. ZC had a much, much deeper and more talented supporting cast at A&M. He is going to be facing the same teams. How is he going to come into a worse offensive roster, where he'll suffer more pressure and more drops, and do better than he did at A&M?

2 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

He was.... and CW got on the field only after Rattler crapped the bed.  If Rattler had the season he was expected to have, most wouldn't know who CW was.

Has literally nothing to do with the discussion though. If he thought he could beat Spencer Rattler, why on earth would he shy away from Zach Calzone, TJ Finley, Dematrius Davis, and Holden Geringer?

Edited by ClaytonAU
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, cbo said:

Caleb Williams knows he would start at Auburn. It's guaranteed. He doesn't even have to ask. 

Not arguing that point. 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

All I saw in 2a's assessments were that the kid had a few drops from receivers and had some pressure on him.

This is the part of the equation you guys aren't answering. ZC had a much, much deeper and more talented supporting cast at A&M. He is going to be facing the same teams. How is he going to come into a worse offensive roster, where he'll suffer more pressure and more drops, and do better than he did at A&M?

Guess no hope for anyone to get better using that logic. Might as well stop practicing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Has literally nothing to do with the discussion though. If he thought he could beat Spencer Rattler, why on earth would he shy away from Zach Calzone, TJ Finley, Damatrius Davis, and Holden Geringer?

I never said he would.  You made it a discussion.  That does not mean that it isn't one of the multitude of things that goes into the decision.  Auburn isn't exactly some shining city on the hill offensively otherwise.

Edited by AU9377

Just now, AUght2win said:

Well I'd imagine Harsin's plan is for this team to be much better in 8 months then it is currently due to 8 more months of player development within his scheme paired with 8 more months of S&C getting these guys stronger.

Along with a hopefully some transfers at OL, and WR.  I don't expect this will be the same team 8 months from now even if the roster is exactly the same besides a few key transfers.

Oh and hopefully ZC is QB2 in 8 months behind a different transfer QB.

• Like 2

Just now, Hank2020 said:

Guess no hope for anyone to get better using that logic. Might as well stop practicing.

Oh no, my friend. If we get CW we are going to be in good shape. If we had gotten Gabriel or Slovis too. I think if Bo had stayed we would have been okay, too.

But to overcome all the deficiencies on this roster we need a real bonafide playmaker at QB. We can't have just a game manager. 

1 minute ago, Didba said:

I don't expect this will be the same team 8 months from now even if the roster is exactly the same besides a few key transfers

You didn’t know that the team we have now is the EXACT team we’ll have and the team can’t get better? 

This is how folks here act. 

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

So he will care the same where ever he goes.

Anyone that thinks he won't look at the roster and use that as part of his process is fooling themselves. 

He’s from Sugar Hill, GA — he’s a lot closer to his family.  You guys will find this kid is a baller with no give up in him.  A lot of you guys will be pleasantly surprised.  Great pick up for AU.  

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Didba said:

Well I'd imagine Harsin's plan is for this team to be much better in 8 months then it is currently due to 8 more months of player development within his scheme paired with 8 more months of S&C getting these guys stronger.

Along with a hopefully some transfers at OL, and WR.  I don't expect this will be the same team 8 months from now even if the roster is exactly the same besides a few key transfers.

Oh and hopefully ZC is QB2 in 8 months behind a different transfer QB.

So you've been blasting me and we're on the exact same page?! 🤣 All I've been saying is I don't think ZC is my preferred QB1.

• Haha 2

So I actually been reading some insider stuff and it does say we are in the running for CW but it is a LONG SHOT. So let's put things in context before we start a CW vs Calzada war.

3 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Anyone that thinks he won't look at the roster and use that as part of his process is fooling themselves. 

Maybe I misunderstood your point. I thought you were intimating the us getting ZC would cause him to go somewhere else, not that considering it was part of his process. I agree he would be foolish not to consider that before choosing where to go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

You didn’t know that the team we have now is the EXACT team we’ll have and the team can’t get better? 

This is how folks here act. 

This is my thing - you guys are banking on the best case scenarios for a lot of things. Everybody else here is talking about things as they currently stand. We may absolutely set the portal on fire. We may completely strikeout. We might do somewhere in the middle. Nobody knows.

So unless you've got some intel or a third eye with foreknowledge of who we're picking up, I wouldn't laugh at other people's assessments of what we know at this point. And at this point, there's no reason to believe the roster will be significantly better than last season's. I hope that changes. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I see you paid about as much attention to what I posted as you did watching ZC's film. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

So I actually been reading some insider stuff and it does say we are in the running for CW but it is a LONG SHOT. So let's put things in context before we start a CW vs Calzada war.

I've been hear it's closer to a 50/50

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

In his game against us, ZC went for 15-29 for 192 with 51.7% completion percentage.

Of his 14 incompletions, 1 was tipped, and 4 were drops 100% on the WR. 

Of the remaining 9, 1 looked like a miscommunication on the route in the RZ.

OF the remaining 8, 2 balls were broken up by WR on accurate balls thrown, our DBs just made amazing plays.

Of the remaining 6, 1 was a throw away.

That leaves 5 passes that were bad passes. Nearly all were over throws. 

Again, the stats look bad but that is not horrible when you actually watch the game. 

Sounds like he pretty much played a perfect game then. That’s some impressive spin by the way. 

12 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Maybe I misunderstood your point. I thought you were intimating the us getting ZC would cause him to go somewhere else, not that considering it was part of his process. I agree he would be foolish not to consider that before choosing where to go.

Of course he should consider this. I tried to say this same thing. This dude has suitors all over the place it seems. Do I think CW is afraid of competition? No. He beat Spencer Rattler (Who I would've liked to have here). Do I think a power 5 school that gives him about 100% chance of starting could be a benefit to him? Yes. I personally think he goes to ole miss. UCLA as well.

Edited by DAG