i cannot believe we have never been rated number one in the polls in basketball.

aubiefifty

they were talking about it today and online. does bruce get us there or will we get screwed over some how? i believe he does. what say yee?

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

they were talking about it today and online. does bruce get us there or will we get screwed over some how? i believe he does. what say yee?

Win tonight and it'll either be Auburn or Gonzaga #1. If they go by resume Auburn is clear #1. If they go by poll inertia, Gonzaga will be 1.

• Like 1

Yep that was a preseason magazine ranking.  We got to 4th in AP that 1 seed year. Either way, we will make history with whatever we are ranked Monday.  Never been top 3 and we ain't dropping.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, milehighfan said:

It wasn't all that long ago when Auburn's basketball program gave bad a bad name >:(

you are so right and then the good lord said send them  chris porte and company. i think we stomped bama twice by over sixty points. i know it was once for sure. that was a whupping i still enjoy. in fact i have two chris porter autographed cards.

In 1998-1999 we won our first 17 in a row before losing to UK in RUpp.

That is probably the closest we got to #1 actually in the polls. We then lost again to Ark on the road.

Is this the year Porter was ruled ineligible towards the end of season or was the next year?

And I can see why we have never been #1 ranked. We haven't sustained enough success.

Even Ellis mostly would lose 10 games a year or so, except for those 2 great years in the late 90s.

And it also has to do when you lose that game or two during the season.

14 hours ago, woodford said:

OP, we have been dreadful for most of the history of the program. I can’t believe we’ve ever been ranked in the top 10 before tbh

You must not have been around in the early eighties!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, WarNole said:

Do the polls come out this afternoon or Monday?  Can't wait.

:wareagle:

Monday I think 

May not have been number 1 but we had a very nice team led by Marquis Daniels 02-03. If we would have had Jamison Brewer on that team as well could have possibly won a title

Actually saw an article that we have been #2 3 separate times including both of the big Ellis squads.  But never 1.

Thanks for bringing excitement to the plains CBP. Definitely deserves be up there in pay based on how he has turned this program around.

• Like 2

I expect AU to be #1 tomorrow.   The only other option is the Zags.   We won 2 road games, one of them against a team with a 17 game home win streak.   Our overall resume is 16-1 with a 2OT loss to a ranked UConn team in the Bahamas.   Gonzaga is also in league play which means they haven’t played any decent teams this week (BYU and Santa Clara I think) nor will they for a while.   They are 14-2 overall with losses to Duke in Vegas and bama in technically a neutral site game, but it was in Seattle.  Both teams have some quality Q1 wins, but overall our resume is better, and let’s not forget “we’re undefeated in regulation” ($1 to Les Miles)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

May not have been number 1 but we had a very nice team led by Marquis Daniels 02-03. If we would have had Jamison Brewer on that team as well could have possibly won a title

I feel like an 11 seed was more than Jamison Brewer away from a title. 

47 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

I feel like an 11 seed was more than Jamison Brewer away from a title. 

That's good for you to feel. That 11 seed lost to the champions by 1. That 11 seed was a ten seed. That team was an athletic distributor away from being great. And you can't judge a team by a seed try looking at the actual personnel.

But ok 👌🏿