Top 5 overrated/underrated

bigsixfive

Anyone see Trev's top 5 overrated and sleeper teams on ESPN motion? I agree with them for the most part, and he backs up his rankings with legitimate facts and question marks.

Top 5 Overrated:

Miami

Tennessee

Georgia

Notre Dame

Oklahoma

His reasoning behind UGA was sound, but I think they're going to suprise a few of us. Richt is a good coach, and I have a feeling he'll get the job done with the "questionable and unproven" talent he has.

Top 5 Sleepers:

A&M

Penn State

Alabama

Perdue

FSU

I agree 100% that UA will be a sleeper. There returning much of the same team that played very hard last year. I think a few more games will fall in their favor this year, provided (let's all say it together now) Croyle stays healthy.

FSU on the other hand, I don't agree with, particularly because I don't think they have a "dominating defense" as Trev mentioned. They'll be 3rd in the ACC.

Since 1989, the most over-rated teams in the SEC (AP poll wise from start to finish) are Florida, LSU, Tenn, Auburn, Alabama.

http://preseason.stassen.com/over-under/teams.html

I agree that every year one team in the East is usually over-rated but another one always seems to take its place while the 2nd place team usually does quite well.

Since 1989, the most over-rated teams in the SEC (AP poll wise from start to finish) are Florida, LSU, Tenn, Auburn, Alabama.

http://preseason.stassen.com/over-under/teams.html

I agree that every year one team in the East is usually over-rated but another one always seems to take its place while the 2nd place team usually does quite well.

169051[/snapback]

Please note the top 3 most overrated schools, especially 2 and 3.

2003 hurt AU pretty bad... -21 :(

After looking at it, I don't really like that method of analysis. A team can have 20 horrible years, but have one good year where they crack the rankings and they will be ahead of half the teams on there. Look at Marshall. However, seasonal powers have no where to go but down, thus accumulating a larger negative rating.

2003 hurt AU pretty bad... -21  :(

Ya, I wasn't calling AU over-rated but pointing out that both West and East teams get over-rated every year....

Archived