Survey Says....Will Coach Harsin -

Beaker

Poll - moving forward....2/14  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Is Coach Harsin a learner? Will he learn from this first year/cycle?

• Yes - seems intelligent and capable. Surely, he will grow from year one.
    • No, I don't believe I have seen enough to believe he will change one iota.
  2. 2. Will recruiting change?

• I believe Harsin will be more hands on - get into more schools and more frequently. He will learn from this cycle.
  3. 3. Culture Changes?

• With the new facilities, the big hula-baloo last week and new season, I think Harsin will adjust some.

12 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I don’t doubt his drive either I just think he has a huge lack of self awareness and frankly, just makes some dumb mistakes. The junior day scheduling? Losing out on an OL recruit because he wouldn’t return Friend’s call?

No excuse for those things. Those aren’t philosophical or strategic errors. That’s just stupidity. I don’t see how that changes.

Does he have a self-defeating barrier? He was a walk-on. Resented the multi-stars who didn't have to work as hard as he? Favors the guys who say "Yes sir," and work hard, but don't have the automatic talent and swag of the stars. Then, when one of the blue collars starts to become a star with swag, catches more grief and less playing time. Wash, rinse, repeat. Is there some of that there? Key to maintaining the stable is for the coaching staff (esp HC) to command different relationship strategies with the different types of players. Just a theoretical working model I carry along to try to explain behaviors to myself.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AUx said:

Does he have a self-defeating barrier? He was a walk-on. Resented the multi-stars who didn't have to work as hard as he? Favors the guys who say "Yes sir," and work hard, but don't have the automatic talent and swag of the stars. Then, when one of the blue collars starts to become a star with swag, catches more grief and less playing time. Wash, rinse, repeat. Is there some of that there? Key to maintaining the stable is for the coaching staff (esp HC) to command different relationship strategies with the different types of players. Just a theoretical working model I carry along to try to explain behaviors to myself.

Wee Bey Brice GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Nah, that all does make good sense. 

• Love 1

As always, with any year of Auburn football, I am cautiously optimistic.  I also believe that anyone in any walk of life can learn and adapt to be successful.  I think(just my opinion) that he encountered a lack of discipline in certain areas when he arrived and was probably a little too excessive in his correction.  I also think that correction was needed and he needs to find that happy medium to effect the change he thinks they have to have to be winners.  I  wish him the best of luck because some will always be reluctant to change or just not fit in with the program.  We have a great bunch of men and leaders on the team and can certainly improve this year with better team chemistry which is the key to success on any team, regardless of stars.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aublue88 said:

I think(just my opinion) that he encountered a lack of discipline in certain areas when he arrived and was probably a little too excessive in his correction.  I also think that correction was needed and he needs to find that happy medium to effect the change he thinks they have to have to be winners.  I  wish him the best of luck because some will always be reluctant to change or just not fit in with the program.

I'll say this as an ex-high school coach and teacher/counselor. It is always easier to come in hard and then relax things later than it is to come in easy and try to tighten things up later. (e.g. Chizik). I'm pretty sure @bigbird would agree on that point. But, yeah Harsin has to self evaluate and adapt and adjust every year. Especially with the new NIL/TP rules.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, aublue88 said:

As always, with any year of Auburn football, I am cautiously optimistic.

The team started 6-2, finished 0-5. I find that very concerning. Were the season's progress reversed I'd be optimistic. It's too early for predictions but I don't see how AU's win/loss record can be improved next year.

17 hours ago, aublue88 said:

As always, with any year of Auburn football, I am cautiously optimistic.  I also believe that anyone in any walk of life can learn and adapt to be successful.  I think(just my opinion) that he encountered a lack of discipline in certain areas when he arrived and was probably a little too excessive in his correction.  I also think that correction was needed and he needs to find that happy medium to effect the change he thinks they have to have to be winners.  I  wish him the best of luck because some will always be reluctant to change or just not fit in with the program.  We have a great bunch of men and leaders on the team and can certainly improve this year with better team chemistry which is the key to success on any team, regardless of stars.

Discipline won't kill him. Lack of recruiting will. If he can pick it up on the trail and get out in front rather than leading from behind, he can turn in a good class in 23 which will ease the sting of what will likely be a rough year. 

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

The team started 6-2, finished 0-5. I find that very concerning. Were the season's progress reversed I'd be optimistic. It's too early for predictions but I don't see how AU's win/loss record can be improved next year.

I am cautiously optimistic because I feel that team chemistry played a part in the last half of the season as well as insane decisions at times on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball.   I am hoping that the remaining players pull together through the recent adversity and become stronger as a team.  Also a cohesive team that battles until the end will win the close ones and that one thing would have changed the trajectory last season.  I also am hoping that we get an offensive coordinator that will challenge our coach and go after good to great players that fit in with our team.  So, with that said, at this point I am still optimistic.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, aublue88 said:

I am cautiously optimistic because I feel that team chemistry played a part in the last half of the season as well as insane decisions at times on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball.   I am hoping that the remaining players pull together through the recent adversity and become stronger as a team.  Also a cohesive team that battles until the end will win the close ones and that one thing would have changed the trajectory last season.  I also am hoping that we get an offensive coordinator that will challenge our coach and go after good to great players that fit in with our team.  So, with that said, at this point I am still optimistic.

And think about it- we were a play away or coaches' decision or a mistake by a bama kid from upsetting them after dropping most of those games!    They nearly beat Houston....0-5 sucks, but they never quit.

It is strange what a difference a week can make.  During the height of the Harsin is gone or will stay saga there was negativity on both side some blaming Harsin for everything other blaming the PTB or insiders within the athletic department with nobody finding or trying to find anything good about Auburn football future. 

This week I seem to see more people losing or restraining the negativity around the football team and with some people even starting to feel a little hopeful.  It seems more moderate posters are posting.  Maybe the sun is breaking through the clouds. I don't know if we will have a great record next year or not and I don't know if Harsin and the staff will be able to find Portal players and improve recruiting next year but is is a lot more enjoyable on this forum this week without all the vitriol. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

It is strange what a difference a week can make.  During the height of the Harsin is gone or will stay saga there was negativity on both side some blaming Harsin for everything other blaming the PTB or insiders within the athletic department with nobody finding or trying to find anything good about Auburn football future. 

This week I seem to see more people losing or restraining the negativity around the football team and with some people even starting to feel a little hopeful.  It seems more moderate posters are posting.  Maybe the sun is breaking through the clouds. I don't know if we will have a great record next year or not and I don't know if Harsin and the staff will be able to find Portal players and improve recruiting next year but is is a lot more enjoyable on this forum this week without all the vitriol. 

I approve this message.

Eh. Not that strange. And not time related.

The avalanche of bad news stopped and the question was settled. Harsin is still our coach for the foreseeable future.

No bad news or uncertainty, no need to talk about bad news and uncertainty.

Actually, we still have some openings on the staff. And the conversation is going to continue about that for cause

16 hours ago, Beaker said:

And think about it- we were a play away or coaches' decision or a mistake by a bama kid from upsetting them after dropping most of those games!    They nearly beat Houston....0-5 sucks, but they never quit.

And a play away from losing to Ga State AT HOME. Works both ways. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

And a play away from losing to Ga State AT HOME. Works both ways. 

For sure, but the context was about how the players didn't quit down the stretch and played hard through the end of the season.   And how they were a gnat's a$$ from beating bama and winning several more games, because they didn't quit.  It wasn't about close games.  

We played Ga State early in the season.   

• Facepalm 1

On 2/14/2022 at 1:27 PM, maryland tiger said:

I am in favor of anyone having to go through what Coach Harsin has been through the past two weeks but I believe this has lit a hire under him. I truly believe because of this event, things will be better for Auburn; which includes recruiting! 

Faith is the belief in things not seen.

57 minutes ago, Beaker said:

For sure, but the context was about how the players didn't quit down the stretch and played hard through the end of the season.   And how they were a gnat's a$$ from beating bama and winning several more games, because they didn't quit.  It wasn't about close games.  

We played Ga State early in the season.   

The last time I saw Auburn players quit was in 2012.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Eh. Not that strange. And not time related.

The avalanche of bad news stopped and the question was settled. Harsin is still our coach for the foreseeable future.

No bad news or uncertainty, no need to talk about bad news and uncertainty.

Actually, we still have some openings on the staff. And the conversation is going to continue about that for cause

I wasn't talking about the bad news itself as much as the way people on each side were attacking each other. It is ok to disagree but there was a lot of animosity aimed at people who disagreed with each other. You and I have agreed and disagreed over the years but we never attacked each other when we disagreed. That is one of the reasons you are one my favorite posters. You present your side and leave it at that.  I like to think I am the same but I will have to admit there was a poster on basketball forum a year or so ago who was eventually banned where I did not live up to my own personal standards 

• Like 1

I wonder if he didn't return Friend's calls during the whole investigation fiasco. That would certainly put a bit of a different light on it. If I were fighting for my career and my phone was blowing up (as surely his was by his own account) then I can see where some things got missed. Doesn't excuse it, but possibly explains it.

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I like to think I am the same

The hell you are. You're always so civil and even-keeled it makes me angry. You refuse to take the bait and it drives the rest of us insane. 

You even paid me a really great compliment. Good lord, I can't work under these conditions!

(I hear what you're saying, but I think the change in the news coming out is what lowered the temperature. Just wait until we get into spring and we have a QB battle on our hands. We'll be right back to hurling personal insults over things over which we have no control and which do not legitimately affect our lives one bit. Well, not you, and hopefully not me. Hopefully.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The hell you are. You're always so civil and even-keeled it makes me angry. You refuse to take the bait and it drives the rest of us insane. 

You even paid me a really great compliment. Good lord, I can't work under these conditions!

(I hear what you're saying, but I think the change in the news coming out is what lowered the temperature. Just wait until we get into spring and we have a QB battle on our hands. We'll be right back to hurling personal insults over things over which we have no control and which do not legitimately affect our lives one bit. Well, not you, and hopefully not me. Hopefully.)

You are probably right but I can hope that we can agree to disagree without getting personal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

You are probably right but I can hope that we can agree to disagree without getting personal.

You always have and I mostly have and hopefully more folks follow your lead. 

In the spirit of polls........Auburn University has two of the top 3 wealthiest individuals in the state of Al...........is this a blessing or a curse?

• Like 1