I think our coach gets it now

aubiefifty

Keith Neibuhr said some folks reached out to him to tell him this:

Earlier this year, Auburn football coaches held a Zoom meeting with the parents/families of their players. Coach Harsin chose not to attend, which rubbed some family members the wrong way. On Monday, there was another such meeting. This time Harsin made a point to be there, and apparently was a hit.

this was copied off reddit so take it with a grain of salt. it might be an article behind a pay wall because the guy only mentioned this and said a lot more was going on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I really like hearing this. There is nothing I want more than for Auburns football coach to be the greatest ever. Things seem to be going good right now. Let's hope it continues. WDE

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodford said:

He can finally read a room. We’re so lucky. 

you are right, we are very lucky.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Keith Neibuhr said some folks reached out to him to tell him this:

Earlier this year, Auburn football coaches held a Zoom meeting with the parents/families of their players. Coach Harsin chose not to attend, which rubbed some family members the wrong way. On Monday, there was another such meeting. This time Harsin made a point to be there, and apparently was a hit.

this was copied off reddit so take it with a grain of salt. it might be an article behind a pay wall because the guy only mentioned this and said a lot more was going on.

The Reddit post was from the 247 article that Keith posted earlier today.

6 hours ago, AUlurker said:

The Reddit post was from the 247 article that Keith posted earlier today.

yes i understand i was not sure if it was behind a paywall so i was being careful.

he appears to be doing things he was not doing much of when he first got here. it means he is not too stubborn to learn. and some folks need this kind of thing right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

he appears to be doing things he was not doing much of when he first got here. it means he is not too stubborn to learn. and some folks need this kind of thing right now.

Amen!  And thank you for bringing this here '50.:jossun:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

And there was a lot of people talking sh** about Smoke’s comments about that specifically but it looks like he actually had a point 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Sizzle said:

And there was a lot of people talking sh** about Smoke’s comments about that specifically but it looks like he actually had a point 

Yep, they laughed at Smoke and said he needed to toughen up. Some others didn't even know why Smoke would let that bother him and they said Harsin shouldn't have to meet every players parents and family. Well, according to this article there were more parents ticked off about Harsin not meeting them so Smoke's parents aren't alone. Hopefully Harsin is starting to understand that building a relationship with the players and their family is a must if he is going to have us in the top 10 in recruiting every year. It seems the old dog is learning some new tricks. 

• Like 1

I reckon this board taught him a thing or two didn't it? 

Yes absolutely loaded with sarcasm eyerolling nut punches.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's a bit mind boggling that the HC wouldn't have been on the call earlier this year. You don't have to hold every parents hands, but they are entrusting you with their sons, showing them a little respect and giving them a few minutes of your time wouldn't have been out of line.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Tiger1992 said:

It's a bit mind boggling that the HC wouldn't have been on the call earlier this year. You don't have to hold every parents hands, but they are entrusting you with their sons, showing them a little respect and giving them a few minutes of your time wouldn't have been out of line.

If I were a new HC I would make it a point to call every set of parents or parent of all my guys. That seems like courtesy and relationship building 101. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, woodford said:

If I were a new HC I would make it a point to call every set of parents or parent of all my guys. That seems like courtesy and relationship building 101. 

Definitely would've had a family day shortly after my hiring.  

• Like 7

7 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Yep, they laughed at Smoke and said he needed to toughen up. Some others didn't even know why Smoke would let that bother him and they said Harsin shouldn't have to meet every players parents and family. Well, according to this article there were more parents ticked off about Harsin not meeting them so Smoke's parents aren't alone. Hopefully Harsin is starting to understand that building a relationship with the players and their family is a must if he is going to have us in the top 10 in recruiting every year. It seems the old dog is learning some new tricks. 

So we are picking and choosing which one to believe mama big kat which set off a fire storm and Smoke take on Harsin?!?! Woooten parents did not have a problem with Harsin.

• Facepalm 2

13 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

It's funny how everyone's been debating if we should believe the anti-Harsin players or the pro-Harsin players. Every guy deserves to have their voice heard. It can be true that Smoke made a good point while also being true that guys like Shenker/Wooten/Fair's comments about a lack of toughness in the locker room and a bunch needing to be run off true. I think both are true. Harsin didn't do a good job with relations, and a bunch of guys needed to go.

Maybe he felt like it was a waste of time to try and meet with the families of guys he planned on running off after the year or who were leaving. I have no clue. He went about it the wrong way. Glad he's doing it now, but at this point what's done is done and ready to roll with those that stuck with the program. Truly hope those that left have fantastic careers, but this is divisive. I don't think the culture is as toxic as many believe. The team may suck, but there are guys who are happy to be here

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, au302 said:

It's funny how everyone's been debating if we should believe the anti-Harsin players or the pro-Harsin players. Every guy deserves to have their voice heard. It can be true that Smoke made a good point while also being true that guys like Shenker/Wooten/Fair's comments about a lack of toughness in the locker room and a bunch needing to be run off true. I think both are true. Harsin didn't do a good job with relations, and a bunch of guys needed to go.

Maybe he felt like it was a waste of time to try and meet with the families of guys he planned on running off after the year or who were leaving. I have no clue. He went about it the wrong way. Glad he's doing it now, but at this point what's done is done and ready to roll with those that stuck with the program. Truly hope those that left have fantastic careers, but this is divisive. I don't think the culture is as toxic as many believe. The team may suck, but there are guys who are happy to be here

Thank you. I believe you are correct. Both sides can be telling the truth. One each player has a different personality and what is good for one may not be for the other.  It is also possible that when Harsin was so busy with what he found like an amateurish recruiting program and other issues that he got so involved in that that he didn't deal with the personal side of recruiting in dealing with players and their families both while recruiting and also once players are recruited.

I like Bird's idea of a family day.  I also think a social media site that is limited to coaches and players family for quick little updates to family. 

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, au302 said:

Our collective inability to handle nuance remains incredibly impressive. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Our collective inability to handle nuance remains incredibly impressive. 

Is that the same as " we cant agree on sh*&?" 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hay Field 101 said:

Is that the same as " we cant agree on sh*&?" 

I'd say more of a root cause. 

• Like 1

It means that way too many folks need everything oversimplified and babyfed to them. They're not able or unwilling to process anything more complicated than absolutes. Everything has to be black or white or they lose their breath along with their minds. 

"Well, is it A or B?!?!" Um, maybe neither? Maybe a little bit of both? Maybe it was A last week and now it's B? Maybe it depends on who you ask?

Read @au302's excellent post above for a primer on nuance. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

16 hours ago, cbo said:

I'd say more of a root cause. 

I see said the blind man who picked up a hammer and began to saw.