SEC Coaches Ranked

AU-24

16 hours ago, AUwent said:

I sincerely hope Gus wasn't the best we can get--I was ready to see him gone--but I may eventually come to regret that, if in the event we need to move on from Harsin we can't even land a well-regarded assistant.

I hope someone who knows more can contradict what was said a few days ago of course.

That is the sad truth right there, after that failed coup attempt in February the chances of landing anything better than Malzhan/Harsin are slim.

All the more reason for Auburn & its fans to get behind this coaching staff & support them in every way.  Because the future is more bleak than the present if we're back to searching for a new HC. ☹️

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AU-24 said:

It’s not really a Gus thing unless you’re considering… if you can’t hire anyone better than Harsin go ahead and keep Gus for another season. In that case, I guess you could say, I think Gus should still be the coach??? (if that is what you’re trying to say) Again, if it’s a big-name coach, with a winning track record, i.e. the current coach of Texas A&M or the current coach of LSU, or the current at Thuga, I could see making the change. But spending 30 million to clear the path for Harsin? I mean really? (that is what I am trying to say)

I’ve said time and time and time again on here, it was probably time for Gus to go, but Harsin was a bad hire.

You can hate the guts of Gus, you can despise the ground he walks on, you can wish him terrible things at Central Florida, but replacing him with the Mountain West conference Brian Harsin? Spending $30 million to get rid of our previous coaching staff to hire Brian Harsin? Completely nonsensical.

I wasn’t in favor of the Harsin hire, never thought he would make it at Auburn, but just being perfectly honest, he actually did worse in all coaching categories than I thought he would do his first season. From everything a coach is supposed to do, and I won’t go back and rename everything but what could he have possibly done any worse?

Gus was the worst head coach to walk the sidelines in Auburn history, plain and simple, and the continued miss management of administrators allowed him to walk away the richest of all of the coaches before him. I don't understand how some of you on here can't understand why we can't land somebody of significance as a head coach, when you have people other than the person who's job it is that's responsible for running the AD making the decisions on who the coach will be, good luck getting your WISH.. and by the way,, we just hired the best coach that was available and wanted the job and I will support him.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 6

3 hours ago, AU-24 said:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you may want to go back and look at the previous 8 years with teams like Texas A&M, LSU, Florida, Tennessee, even Georgia and Auburn. You will see with the exception of the turds, Auburn did as well or just about as well as any top-tier team in the SEC and out-performed the traditional mediocre and bottom feeder SEC teams. He beat Saban three times that’s more than any other coach in football, averaged four losses per year, playing in the SEC West while having to play Georgia out of the east every year and usually a top 10 or top 15 ranked out of conference opponent.  He beat Saban with a future NFL fifth or sixth round QB draft pick? He beat Saban with a teenage true freshman QB, he beat Saban with a future CFL defensive back at QB. If all the above mentioned isn’t coaching players up, I don’t know what it is.

And fell flat on his face everywhere else, you are the typical Auburn fan that makes the nation think, that's all we care about is beating the turds.

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

49 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

Gus was the worst head coach to walk the sidelines in Auburn history, plain and simple, and the continued miss management of administrators allowed him to walk away the richest of all of the coaches before him. I don't understand how some of you on here can't understand why we can't land somebody of significance as a head coach, when you have people other than the person who's job it is that's responsible for running the AD making the decisions on who the coach will be, good luck getting your WISH.. and by the way,, we just hired the best coach that was available and wanted the job and I will support him.

Cmon the worst coach in Auburn history when he didn’t have a losing season. Yes u can argue he wasn’t the greatest but definitely wasn’t the worst. Especially in todays climate. He lost his biggest advantage because of the rule changes but the defenses was always top tier once Steele took over.

Also outside of beating Bama there were wins against Oregon and Washington to name a few. Beating Bama is very significant because they have been the standard in the conference for a while. So far Bama has been the last hurdle standing in Auburns way of them doing anything significant. Actually Bama has been in everyone’s way so yes beating them matters.

Yes he blew games that he should have won on the road. However, Out of all of that only Georgia was the major thorn in Auburns side. Yes it was time for change to see if Auburn can get to new heights but the worst coach I think not.

Edited by e808
  • Like 7

36 minutes ago, e808 said:

Cmon the worst coach in Auburn history when he didn’t have a losing season. Yes u can argue he wasn’t the greatest but definitely wasn’t the worst. Especially in todays climate. He lost his biggest advantage because of the rule changes but the defenses was always top tier once Steele took over.

Also outside of beating Bama there were wins against Oregon and Washington to name a few. Beating Bama is very significant because they have been the standard in the conference for a while. So far Bama has been the last hurdle standing in Auburns way of them doing anything significant. Actually Bama has been in everyone’s way so yes beating them matters.

Yes he blew games that he should have won on the road. However, Out of all of that only Georgia was the major thorn in Auburns side. Yes it was time for change to see if Auburn can get to new heights but the worst coach I think not.

Definitely not the worst. He was above average . Pretty dang good recruiter.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

On 5/17/2022 at 1:40 AM, AU-24 said:

What has the guy done well, I mean like top five or top 10 coach in the country well, since he’s been hired?

Auburn has never had the clout to hire a top 5 or top 10 coach in the country, so why would CBH be judged in that realm?  :dunno:

The guy had a rocky start there's no doubt.  But Harsin is the HC, get behind him and support his staff & players rather than waste space crapping all over the program 24/7.  He's getting the opportunity to get this thing on the right path, the program needs fan and alumni support to accomplish that task. 

I waited around for years listening to CGM's post-season promises to "turn this thing around", and "the future is bright" in the wake of mediocre seasons & bowl losses.  I can at least wait a while to see what CBH can do. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

Freezes private life is none of my business. If he wants to bang hookers, who cares.  His offence has remained potent and innovative and effective. He is what Gus could have been if Gus didn't get complacent.  

Cristobal coaches circles around harsin. Brought FIU from the dead, absolute stud recruiter and Oline coach, had Oregon trending up every year he was there after taking over for taggart. There is no objective reason to want harsin or most others over Cristobal. 

Ehh, Freeze also left his program on crippling probation with an SEC commissioner that has blocked him coming back at every turn. Auburn can't have Bobby Petrino/Hugh Freeze type running the football team.  We use "family" and wholesome values & character to recruit, hiring a morally corrupt cad like one of those would shoot that sales approach to the curb. 

Cristobal would've been an interesting hire, but he didn't want to be here. :dunno:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JerryAU said:

That is the sad truth right there, after that failed coup attempt in February the chances of landing anything better than Malzhan/Harsin are slim.

All the more reason for Auburn & its fans to get behind this coaching staff & support them in every way.  Because the future is more bleak than the present if we're back to searching for a new HC. ☹️

And you’re helping to damage the cause by spreading the falsehood that it was a coup. Players and coaches were making complaints, we had to investigate. What would’ve happened if we had ignored them?

Again, I would be extremely happy with a Pittman level hire (re: Dell) if that’s what it comes to.

Also, anyone who supports us getting UAT, UGA and Florida automatically forfeits their right to complain about Gus-level results. Because 2019, maybe 2017 is our ceiling if the SEC decides to screw us like that.

Edited by AUwent

20 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Ehh, Freeze also left his program on crippling probation with an SEC commissioner that has blocked him coming back at every turn. Auburn can't have Bobby Petrino/Hugh Freeze type running the football team.  We use "family" and wholesome values & character to recruit, hiring a morally corrupt cad like one of those would shoot that sales approach to the curb. 

Cristobal would've been an interesting hire, but he didn't want to be here. :dunno:

Auburn can't get it's head out of his holier than thou ass is the problem. This Auburn man garbage has got to go when hiring multi million dollar a year employees. You can use family without the choir boy stick.  

If we had offered Cristobal, he would have come. 

But of course, Auburn can never have nice things. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

36 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Auburn has never had the clout to hire a top 5 or top 10 coach in the country, so why would CBH be judged in that realm?  :dunno:

The guy had a rocky start there's no doubt.  But Harsin is the HC, get behind him and support his staff & players rather than waste space crapping all over the program 24/7.  He's getting the opportunity to get this thing on the right path, the program needs fan and alumni support to accomplish that task. 

I waited around for years listening to CGM's post-season promises to "turn this thing around", and "the future is bright" in the wake of mediocre seasons & bowl losses.  I can at least wait a while to see what CBH can do. 

Auburn definitely has the clout and money to go get a big name coach. If only someone with gumption could tell the PTB to sit the **** down. 

Just now, AUwent said:

And you’re helping to damage the cause by spreading the falsehood that it was a coup. Players and coaches were making complaints, we had to investigate. What would’ve happened if we had ignored them?

Again, I would be extremely happy with a Pittman level hire (re: Dell) if that’s what it comes to.

Am I?  Someone in the AD leaked news of the investigation and insiders have said a media member spread the rumor leaving the AU Administration handling the PR very poorly IMO.  Someone (who feeds P.Marshall info?) wanted him gone and released at least one article stating CBH was in fact out the door.  

It's over now and the coaches left to fight for not only their jobs but to battle on the recruiting trail and in the portal as well.  

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

Yes he sure as hell did already had some great asst's lined up

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Yes he sure as hell did already had some great asst's lined up

Golf, what happened with Cristobol... Why didn't it work out with AU?

Edited by NWALA Tiger

12 hours ago, AU-24 said:

It’s not really a Gus thing unless you’re considering… if you can’t hire anyone better than Harsin go ahead and keep Gus for another season. In that case, I guess you could say, I think Gus should still be the coach??? (if that is what you’re trying to say) Again, if it’s a big-name coach, with a winning track record, i.e. the current coach of Texas A&M or the current coach of LSU, or the current at Thuga, I could see making the change. But spending 30 million to clear the path for Harsin? I mean really? (that is what I am trying to say)

I’ve said time and time and time again on here, it was probably time for Gus to go, but Harsin was a bad hire.

You can hate the guts of Gus, you can despise the ground he walks on, you can wish him terrible things at Central Florida, but replacing him with the Mountain West conference Brian Harsin? Spending $30 million to get rid of our previous coaching staff to hire Brian Harsin? Completely nonsensical.

I wasn’t in favor of the Harsin hire, never thought he would make it at Auburn, but just being perfectly honest, he actually did worse in all coaching categories than I thought he would do his first season. From everything a coach is supposed to do, and I won’t go back and rename everything but what could he have possibly done any worse?

I think you're ignoring our traditional method of hiring coaches. We've never been big game hunters. Dye from Wyoming, Tot from Samford, Chiz from ISU, Gus from Arky State. Tubs was the biggest from OM, but not like they're a big dog historically. Harsin fits that same mold. Boise is similar to those programs, even a bigger name than all but Ole Miss. So going by your argument not sure why we ever cleared the way for anyone to let all those other guys come here

Edited by au302

3 minutes ago, au302 said:

I think you're ignoring our traditional method of hiring coaches. We've never been big game hunters. Dye from Wyoming, Tot from Samford, Chiz from ISU, Gus from Arky State. Tubs was the biggest from OM, but not like they're a big dog historically. Harsin fits that same mold. Boise is similar to those programs, even a bigger name than all but Ole Miss. So going by your argument not sure why we ever cleared the way for anyone to let all those other guys come here

Everyone of those previous coaches with maybe exception of Bowden had a better overall pedigree than Harsin. Harsin had 1 years of assistant at big time football. Harsin is not the same mold.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, au302 said:

I think Chiz and Gus were hires of comfort or familiarity with the program. The programs that they were at probably had little to do with it. Respectfully 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

I think Chiz and Gus were hires of comfort or familiarity with the program. The programs that they were at probably had little to do with it. Respectfully 

We have had an opportunity with CKS and now CHF. Auburn has had chances to gain traction in high risk and high reward types. Let’s hope CBH pans out. I’ve been on record saying the big money people should’ve put their money where there mouth was and got freeze when they had the chance. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

We have had an opportunity with CKS and now CHF. Auburn has had chances to gain traction in high risk and high reward types. Let’s hope CBH pans out. I’ve been on record saying the big money people should’ve put their money where there mouth was and got freeze when they had the chance. 

I agree with u, but it seems to be some divide based on extra curricular activities. Would have loved to see him get a second chance. Just put parameters in his contract and let it ride.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

Everyone of those previous coaches with maybe exception of Bowden had a better overall pedigree than Harsin. Harsin had 1 years of assistant at big time football. Harsin is not the same mold.

Even still, they were no where in the category of the guys he was talking about like Jimbo, Brian Kelly, etc. I'd love for us to snag Urban Meyer, Fickell, or Matt Rhule as much as the next guy, but hiring up and comers is more of our style, whether Harsin was in the same mold or not 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e808 said:

I agree, but you think they were in the same mold as even an assistant like Kirby Smart?

29 minutes ago, au302 said:

I agree, but you think they were in the same mold as even an assistant like Kirby Smart?

No needed more time under their belt IMO. U could tell Kirby was ready. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, e808 said:

No needed more time under their belt IMO. U could tell Kirby was ready. 

And look we had two great seasons with both, so I don't mean to sit here and say it was all bad. Just thinking on how we can get more consistent coaches like Dye/Tubs and less roller coasters

1 minute ago, au302 said:

And look we had two great seasons with both, so I don't mean to sit here and say it was all bad. Just thinking on how we can get more consistent coaches like Dye/Tubs and less roller coasters

No argument here. I am thinking they were safe choices with Auburn history vs high risk/ high reward. Did it in b-ball so Idk

• Like 1

We're not getting a Brian Kelly-level hire, sorry. Not when our two main rivals are the two best teams in the country. That's ok, we don't necessarily need one, but let's just be realistic. If the next time a coaching search happens we get someone along the lines of what I listed a few pages ago, we'll be fine--provided the SEC doesn't try to kill us by giving us Florida/LSU/etc when they meet next month.

JBoy says he would pick Ole Miss as the third opponent. Could be worse but wrong Miss, Jake.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, eaglenest said:

During his eight years at Auburn, he was the second or third best coach in the entire SEC. So how was he the worst in AU history?

• Love 1