SEC Coaches Ranked

AU-24

18 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Like, we’ve seen what happens when schools ignore allegations and complaints. It ain’t pretty.

That’s why I was saying is being a players coach a bad thing. Sometimes being a hard azz doesn’t resignate well with everyone. Some people can do that and some can’t depending on who u are or the accolades u have.

For example parents could be a hard azz back in the day but u can’t do that today. No matter how soft u think kids are u have to use more tact.

Edited by e808
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, e808 said:

That’s why I was saying is being a players coach a bad thing. Sometimes being a hard azz doesn’t resignate well with everyone. Some people can do that and some can’t depending on who u are or the accolades u have.

Exactly. You can be a hard nosed coach but you really need the accolades to back it up especially in today's world of players coaches like kiffin, jimbo fisher, dabo and successful coaches in the past like Pete carrol combined with the instant portal and nil it is extra important to have championship level resume if you're going to go the route of tough grind it out, don't be late to anything disciplined coaching-- we are basically doing "personality readings" about coaches and the different approaches have about equal success.

Side note -- would Kirby Smart be considered a more player friendly players coach or a hard nosed bull of a coach? 

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Exactly. You can be a hard nosed coach but you really need the accolades to back it up especially in today's world of players coaches like kiffin, jimbo fisher, dabo and successful coaches in the past like Pete carrol combined with the instant portal and nil it is extra important to have championship level resume if you're going to go the route of tough grind it out, don't be late to anything disciplined coaching-- we are basically doing "personality readings" about coaches and the different approaches have about equal success.

Side note -- would Kirby Smart be considered a more player friendly players coach or a hard nosed bull of a coach? 

I would say players coach and so was Orgeron

5 hours ago, e808 said:

The general consensus is everyone wants the team to compete for championships year in and out. However what are results that everyone would be happy with

We now have a 12 game regular season, I want 10 win seasons regularly with a 9 win season on a down/rebuilding year and an 8 win season to be considered a major disappointment.   Historically AU is an 8 win/season program, but that was before we went to 12 game regular seasons. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

We now have a 12 game regular season, I want 10 win seasons regularly with a 9 win season on a down/rebuilding year and an 8 win season to be considered a major disappointment.   Historically AU is an 8 win/season program, but that was before we went to 12 game regular seasons. 

Side note, this is part of why the "Auburn has only won back to back 10-win seasons once" stat is slightly misleading.

This is a part of my problem with people who want us to play as tough a schedule as possible. If the SEC does go with the 3-6/6 format, our three permanents will likely be Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi State (I would much rather have Vanderbilt, of course). I see some of our fans wishing for Florida at the third spot. Sorry, if you want all the rivalries with all the toughest teams, you're going to have to accept the fact that 8 wins will regularly be the outcome.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Side note, this is part of why the "Auburn has only won back to back 10-win seasons once" stat is slightly misleading.

This is a part of my problem with people who want us to play as tough a schedule as possible. If the SEC does go with the 3-6/6 format, our three permanents will likely be Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi State (I would much rather have Vanderbilt, of course). I see some of our fans wishing for Florida at the third spot. Sorry, if you want all the rivalries with all the toughest teams, you're going to have to accept the fact that 8 wins will regularly be the outcome.

There's a lot of history with the AU-Florida rivalry, but I know I don't want them as our third permanent rival. I can live with Miss State. I visited Starkville once, years ago, and the place struck me as being a scaled down version of Auburn.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, e808 said:

For example parents could be a hard azz back in the day but u can’t do that today. No matter how soft u think kids are u have to use more tact.

I see what you're saying, but that's why coaches attempt recruit guys that mesh with their philosophy. A softer coach like Gus will attract players that need more affirmation, attention, etc. Hard coaches like Harsin recruit guys that are maybe more independent/mature and either used to or want discipline. 

Imo the issue is when you have the first year crossover between new staff and players that aren't meshes. The coach can either go away from what got him their and change his personality for a year (disaster of an idea), or he can run everyone off and bring in his own people. Harsin is not unique in this. It happens all over and across different sports

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Because if you REALLY realized that it was time for Gus to go, you'd understand what state he left the roster in, and you'd understand that any coach taking over and trying to start building their own thing was going to struggle to have a winning record.

I understand perfectly well the state he left the roster in. That's why I predicted a 10-2 record last year. AU won six the previous year against all tough competition. Add the three gimme games and we're at nine wins. Add one more for the anticipated better coaching and viola! Ten wins. Sadly, we got a losing season instead.

Now, after all the losses through the portal, the national pundits predict AU at 5-7 this coming season, which may be a bit optimistic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

20 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I respectfully disagree. IMO, 1 year isn't enough. All the things u mentioned,  will contribute to his won/ loss record , which will ultimately determine his fate. We will have a lot clearer picture after this year.

Question for you, what can a coach do that will get him fired after one year? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm not sure how he survived 8 yrs.. Never won in Red Stick including blowing a 3 TD lead. Never won in Athens or even came close. Never won in T Town. Never changed or modernized his offense.  Piss poor offensive player development. Paranoid, wouldnt let his QB get outside training in the off season. Guess he was afraid the QB'S would give away his offensive secrets. Never could decide who he wanted to call plays. Gus was a "solid" 8 win a yr coach, some years and seemed to be happy about it. I wanted to break away from mediocrity,  even if that means some growing pains for a year or 2.

Makes sense, and you are certainly entitled your opinion. When you play Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Jimbo’s Texas A&M and at least one perennial top 10 to top 20 team out of conference, let alone the rest of our SEC schedule, 8-4 for some seasons isn’t bad, Especially if it’s coupled with beating the turds, winning the SEC etc…

Now if we spent $30 million to get rid of Gus to bring in a big-name coach (i.e. not someone from the mountain west conference) some of us would not be nearly as concerned, as we are now.

Then after last season and the off-season, when the guy did even worse than what some of our low expectations were… see what I mean?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Yep, I believe he deserves at least 3 yrs to prove himself.  It may be a painful 3 yrs, but Auburn has no business firing him after 1-2 yrs only to be saddled with an unproven coach that would still have to build from the ground up.  This program needs stability and a ton of NIL $$ to build the roster to SEC caliber. 

What has the guy done well, I mean like top five or top 10 coach in the country well, since he’s been hired?

• Like 2

On 5/17/2022 at 12:41 AM, NWALA Tiger said:

4 or 5 loses a year is mediocre. Doent matter what everyone else does. I don't wanna be like everyone else. I want AU to be better than everyone else and strive for better than mediocre and a stale program,  which is what we had

Respectfully disagree. Again spending $30 million to get rid of a guy who’s losing four per year, to hire a guy that can’t keep his coaches, keep his players, can’t recruit, can’t call plays, can’t win, has off the field issues… that guy is well below mediocre.

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I understand perfectly well the state he left the roster in. That's why I predicted a 10-2 record last year. AU won six the previous year against all tough competition. Add the three gimme games and we're at nine wins. Add one more for the anticipated better coaching and viola! Ten wins. Sadly, we got a losing season instead.

Now, after all the losses through the portal, the national pundits predict AU at 5-7 this coming season, which may be a bit optimistic.

It seems as though people have trouble understanding or just don’t want to admit, the Covid season was an all SEC schedule, no Alabama state or Georgia states on the schedule. Year before that AU beat Bama with a teenage freshman quarterback, beat Jimbo and A&M, and beat the Pac-10 champs. People just can’t get that through their heads, or don’t want to get it through their heads.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JerryAU said:

I agree, and we’re sure not gonna get that with Harsin.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I've been paying attention, and it hasn't been 2 years since you started agreeing Gus's time had come. And even when you *did* start agreeing, it felt forced, more to save face than anything else. 

Because if you REALLY realized that it was time for Gus to go, you'd understand what state he left the roster in, and you'd understand that any coach taking over and trying to start building their own thing was going to struggle to have a winning record.

So either you don't really realize that it was time for Gus to go, or you just REALLY don't like Bryan Harsin, and refuse to give him any benefit of the doubt or, you know, time to get things going his way. No, you're going to spread doom and gloom as much as you possibly can.

Because you love Auburn so much, right? I mean, that's what it all boils down to, isn't it?

As it has been pointed out, just two years ago, one season before Covid, Gus beat Saban and Alabama, Jimbo and Texas A&M and the Pac-Ten champs. Last year he left enough talent to beat LSU, Penn State and Alabama. It’s coaching and recruiting to include the portal, it’s not Gus.

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

I understand perfectly well the state he left the roster in. That's why I predicted a 10-2 record last year.

So, in other words, if Gus had been the head coach, we would have been a 10 win team? That's what it's all about. Geez, you're so transparent.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I don't recall any college head getting fired after 1 yr. Unless it was an NCAA scandal or something of that nature. 

3 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Makes sense, and you are certainly entitled your opinion. When you play Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Jimbo’s Texas A&M and at least one perennial top 10 to top 20 team out of conference, let alone the rest of our SEC schedule, 8-4 for some seasons isn’t bad, Especially if it’s coupled with beating the turds, winning the SEC etc…

Now if we spent $30 million to get rid of Gus to bring in a big-name coach (i.e. not someone from the mountain west conference) some of us would not be nearly as concerned, as we are now.

Then after last season and the off-season, when the guy did even worse than what some of our low expectations were… see what I mean?

And u may be 100 % correct. My whole argument is, we simply don't know yet. As I stated a above. I can't think of any college coach getting canned after 1 yr, based on job performance.  And several were winless or only won 1 or 2 games their first year. Perhaps you know of a coach who was?

Edited by NWALA Tiger

3 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Respectfully disagree. Again spending $30 million to get rid of a guy who’s losing four per year, to hire a guy that can’t keep his coaches, keep his players, can’t recruit, can’t call plays, can’t win, has off the field issues… that guy as well below mediocre.

Sample size simply isn't big enuf to make that judgment about Harsin, IMO. 

32 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

So, in other words, if Gus had been the head coach, we would have been a 10 win team? That's what it's all about. Geez, you're so transparent.

Bingo

3 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Respectfully disagree. Again spending $30 million to get rid of a guy who’s losing four per year, to hire a guy that can’t keep his coaches, keep his players, can’t recruit, can’t call plays, can’t win, has off the field issues… that guy as well below mediocre.

Again, the shortcomings u mentioned,  if they continue will show up in his record and he will be dismissed... IMO, 1 yr isn't enuf time for him to implement his system, etc... I don't know how else to say it... Look, we just gonna have to agree to disagree and move on. U think Gus should still be coach. I dont.. U think Harsin should have been fired.. I don't. It's ok to disagree.  It's what makes the world go round.  War Eagle to ya

Edited by NWALA Tiger

6 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Listed in the contract. Must be fired for cause.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Can't you read? Where did I say we'd have won ten had Gus been the coach? Please post the link.

Part two of can't you read?: Go back and re-read my post. Where did I say win #10 would come from? Read three times if necessary for you to grasp it. Then come back and post the answer to: Where did I say win #10 would come from?

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Bingo

If you think he was right, then do as I asked him to do. Prove it. Otherwise, your Bingo is hogwash.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

If you think he was right, then do as I asked him to do. Prove it. Otherwise, your Bingo is hogwash.

Prove what. That u don't believe your own "logic" . I used your own words to debunk your own argument against Harsin. How can u debate with someone who doesn't even believe what they post?

• Dislike 1