Great article re Robby Ashford -- commentary by Meloney Ashford

AUloggerhead

Momma knows best

... The biggest factor in Robby’s transfer recruitment was getting a chance to compete for a starting job. Clearly, considering he entered a crowded Auburn QB room, he wasn’t looking for a guarantee.

And the only guarantee Harsin made him was that he’d get his shot. It was a refreshing meeting for Robby. He committed a few days later.

“(Harsin) is a lot like me: We’re just going to shoot you straight,” Meloney said. “I don’t have time to play games, especially not with my baby. Just tell me the truth. Have integrity and be honest. The only thing you want is for your child to be given a fair opportunity. And Coach Harsin has given that to Robby.”

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I'm not going to read the article (right now, at least), but this does remind me that I heard back from my guy about Ashford, and apparently not only is he basically the wildcat QB, he's right there with Geriner, maybe a hair behind him in the battle to be the regular backup. Was very complimentary of what they've seen out of him.

15 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

Momma knows best

After reading that, I'm now pulling for Ashford. His mom is on board with Harsin too.

• Like 1

The takeaway I got from reading it the other day was that CBH can be a net positive for Auburn football if given the chance to succeed his way!

• Like 7

8 hours ago, oracle79 said:

After reading that, I'm now pulling for Ashford. His mom is on board with Harsin too.

Yeah, I gotta be honest: after reading that, I'm kinda pulling for Ashford, too. And he's definitely got a legit shot at winning the starter's job outright from what I've been told, which would make for a hell of a story (with Bo going to Oregon and a backup from Oregon coming here to start).

More than anything, though, I'm happy to have a QB room for a change. From what I've been able to gather, of the 4 scholarship QBs on the roster, one has successful SEC starting experience under his belt, two others at least have the talent to compete in the SEC (both 4 star prospects), and even the fourth has SEC starting experience, too, his just wasn't so successful. It's a lot more than we had grown used to seeing out of the position group!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Yeah, I gotta be honest: after reading that, I'm kinda pulling for Ashford, too. And he's definitely got a legit shot at winning the starter's job outright from what I've been told, which would make for a hell of a story (with Bo going to Oregon and a backup from Oregon coming here to start).

More than anything, though, I'm happy to have a QB room for a change. From what I've been able to gather, of the 4 scholarship QBs on the roster, one has successful SEC starting experience under his belt, two others at least have the talent to compete in the SEC (both 4 star prospects), and even the fourth has SEC starting experience, too, his just wasn't so successful. It's a lot more than we had grown used to seeing out of the position group!

If he ends up winning the starting job, announcers gone have another Auburn QB story to run in the ground every game like Nick Marshall being a former UGA DB, Stidham being the practice QB for a HS team after transferring from Baylor , and Bo being the son of a former Auburn QB lol

12 hours ago, Sizzle said:

If he ends up winning the starting job, announcers gone have another Auburn QB story to run in the ground every game like Nick Marshall being a former UGA DB, Stidham being the practice QB for a HS team after transferring from Baylor , and Bo being the son of a former Auburn QB lol

See, this is why I record the game on my DVR and let it go for half an hour or so before I start watching: I don't like watching that crap, so I just skip it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rednilla said:

See, this is why I record the game on my DVR and let it go for half an hour or so before I start watching: I don't like watching that crap, so I just skip it.

100% agree with the DVR and watch it delayed -- been doing that for a few years now.  I don't care to listen to the inane commentary any more than I want to watch the endless commercials.  

• Like 1