2021 & 2022 Recruiting Class Review

Zeek

Great job @Zeek

• Thanks 1

Assessing Auburn's positional needs in 2023 class moving forward

ByCHRISTIAN CLEMENTE 7 hours ago

Share5 Comments

2 Minute Drill: 3 Keys for Auburn offense in 2022 season

Auburn, Alabama | Looking to bring a bigger class this cycle, especially with the 25 signee cap lifted, Auburn currently sits at four commits with some work to do to fill out the rest of the class. At some spots there's an urgent need to start bringing in some commitments — in others, not so much.

Today we're going to run down each position looking at where it currently stands for Auburn in the Class of 2023 and the urgency 1-10 (1 being not a concern, 10 being desperately in need of help this class) to bring in talent:

QUARTERBACK (0 COMMITS)

Urgency Level: 3

With the four quarterbacks on roster, and the eligibility they have moving forward, the quarterback spot is not of much concern for Auburn this class. After this season T.J. Finley will have a year of eligibility, Zach Calzadawill have two years of eligibility, Robby Ashford will have three years of eligibility and Holden Geriner will presumably have four years after a redshirt. Now in the era of the transfer portal it seems unlikely all four will return, but that also means if you lose someone to the portal you can go out and get someone.

With all that said, most recruiting classes take a high school quarterback no matter what and I think Auburn will do just that. Whether it's Brock Glenn, Emory Williams, Kasen Weisman or someone else, Auburn is perusing through different options here.

There's not a high sense of urgency here at this spot, Auburn has the luxury here of taking its time and identifying its best option.

Sponsored Content

Leslie's Pool Supplies™ - LesliesPool.com

Shop All Your Favorite Pool & Spa Supplies with Leslie's Pool Supplies. Offering the Best in Pool Care Supplies since 1963. Find a Store Near You.

By lesliespool.com/official

LEARN MORE

RUNNING BACK (1 COMMIT)

Urgency Level: 4

Already holding a commitment from 4-star Jeremiah Cobb, there's a good chance Auburn takes a second running back in this class should everything work out. Some names are on the board right now, but I'd look out for more evaluations and offers to go out.

Assuming Tank Bigsby departs for the NFL Draft after this season, that'd leave Auburn with Jarquez Hunter, Damari Alston, Sean Jackson and Cobb next season. Especially at a position that can get beaten up easily, I think a second running back should be a priority for Auburn. 

The urgency level is a little higher than quarterback, but I wouldn't consider it a desperate need that Auburn needs to start panicking about.

Sponsored Content

Doctor: If You Have An Enlarged Prostate, Do This Now

undefined

By growthmax.info

LEARN MORE

WIDE RECEIVER (1 COMMIT)

Urgency Level: 6

The additions of Dazalin Worsham from Miami and Koy Moore from LSU in the transfer portal greatly alleviated the urgency at wide receiver, with both of them having three years still to play. And, obviously, already having top target 4-star Karmello English from Central Phenix City committed helps a lot, too.

But Auburn will lose Shedrick Jackson after this season, and Ja'Varrius Johnson, Ze'Vian Capers and Malcolm Johnson Jr. will be going into their senior seasons, so there is a need to bring in two or three high schoolers here.

It's not panic mode here, but there should be some urgency to start looking at who's next behind English at receiver.

TIGHT END (0 COMMITS)

Urgency Level: 7

Jelani Thurman has and remains the No. 1 target at tight end for Auburn. Looking to commit at the end of July or early August, Auburn is putting a lot of eggs in the Thurman basket. There are not a lot of names behind him on the board right now, so landing him is crucial.

Landing a tight end (or two) in this class is going to be pretty important. John Samuel Shenker is a senior and Tyler Fromm, Luke Deal and Brandon Frazier are juniors. Micah Riley-Ducker impressed in the spring and hybrid receiver Landen King is a sophomore, but his future may be over more at wide receiver. 

If Auburn is unable to get Thurman, a potential under-the-radar tight end and a transfer could be an option to help bolster the room next year.

Sponsored Content

Doctor: If You Have An Enlarged Prostate, Do This Now

undefined

By growthmax.info

LEARN MORE

OFFENSIVE TACKLE (0 COMMITS)

Urgency Level: 10

Losing Brenden Coffey, Alec Jackson and Austin Troxell after this season and potentially Kilian Zierer too, Auburn has a big need to bring in several high school offensive tackles. That's been an issue that plagued the previous staff at Auburn and created issues Bryan Harsin and his new staff have had to try and deal with. It's something that will probably still take two more years of recruiting to solve.

Should Zierer leave too, that would leave Auburn with Colby Smith in his redshirt sophomore season along with E.J. Harris and Garner Langlo, though both worked at guard mostly this spring. 

Auburn has seen some targets come and go at tackle already this cycle, but landing commitments from at least two this cycle is of the utmost urgency. 

Sponsored Content

Leslie's Pool Supplies™ - LesliesPool.com

Not a Member? Sign Up to Get all the Perks. Start Earning Today. Offering the Best in Pool Care Supplies since 1963. Find a Store Near You.

By lesliespool.com/official

LEARN MORE

OFFENSIVE GUARD (0 COMMITS)

Urgency Level: 9

Just like offensive tackle, offensive guard is a big urgency for Auburn in this class. Because Keiondre Jones could be back after this season and Harris, Langlo, Tate Johnson and Avery Jernigan all project to be back at guard, it's a little less of a priority than tackle.

However, Auburn still needs to bring in multiple high school offensive guards to boost the future of the room. 

Again, just like tackle, a few targets have come and gone off the board and Auburn will need to start zeroing in on a few players to get commitments from soon.

Sponsored Content

Return To Your Cart Now & Save

Supplying Millions of Adults and Kids Alike—Return to Bits & Pieces and Finish Your Order

By Bits and Pieces

LEARN MORE

CENTER (1 COMMIT)

The commitment of Bradyn Joiner has alleviated some of the pressure at center for Auburn, though bringing in a second center is still in the cards. 

With Nick Brahms graduating and Jalil Irvin potentially gone after this season too, Auburn projects to be thin at center next season. Not only will Auburn need to emphasize a high school center or two, Auburn will also likely look to the transfer portal for someone experienced that can come in and start right away.

Sponsored Content

The Pool Factory® - Up To 30% Off All Pools

All Of Our Above Grounds Pools Are Discounted Now - Limited Time Only! Swimming Pools In A Variety Of Sizes And A Lot Of Special Features.

By www.thepoolfactory.com/Above-Ground/Pools

LEARN MORE

DEFENSIVE LINE (0 COMMITS)

With no commitments currently and the plan to bring in four or five defensive linemen in the class, the urgency level is definitely getting up there for Auburn but it's not as high as some other spots. Why is that?

Jimmy Brumbaugh and Auburn have done a good job staying in it with some targets and quickly moving around the board when a target commits elsewhere. Joshua Horton has been a target all along while Naquil Betrand and Derick Hunter have emerged somewhat recently as names to really keep an eye on. 5-star James Smith is still there, too.

Auburn's additions last year through high school and the transfer portal have also helped set Auburn up in a better spot here.

Sponsored Content

The Pool Factory® - Above Ground Pool Sale

Enjoy Your Backyard This Summer with an Above Ground Pool from The Pool Factory. Free Shipping On All Pools + 0% APR Financing Available!

LEARN MORE

EDGE (0 COMMITS)

Urgency Level: 9

The need at edge has always been clear for Auburn in this class and as Keldric Faulk commits to Florida State and Hunter Osborne trends elsewhere, the pressure continues to ramp up here.

The only reason this is a nine and not a 10 is Auburn's continuous recruiting here, as there are still quite a few names left on the board. Wilky Denaud, Ashley Williams, Georgia commit Gabriel Harris and of course 5-star Qua Russaw, just to name a few.

With just two underclassmen on roster at edge this season, and one being a former linebacker in Joko Willis, edge is one of the biggest needs, if not the biggest need in this class.

Sponsored Content

The Pool Factory® - Above Ground Pool Sale

Enjoy Your Backyard This Summer with an Above Ground Pool from The Pool Factory. Free Shipping On All Pools + 0% APR Financing Available!

LEARN MORE

LINEBACKER (0 COMMITS)

Auburn will look to bring in two or three linebackers this class, but currently doesn't have any committed. 

It all starts with Jaiden Ausberry, as he stands atop Auburn's board at linebacker. Probably not making a decision until December, as long as Auburn doesn't take, it projects to have a really good chance at landing Ausberry.

Behind Ausberry, there are several other targets such as Lewis Carter that Auburn stands in a good spot with, too.

The urgency level isn't overly high here, but you probably would like to see Auburn pick up a commitment at linebacker soon.

Sponsored Content

If You Have an Enlarged Prostate Do This Now (No Surgery)

undefined

By growthmax.info

LEARN MORE

CORNERBACK (0 COMMITS)

Pressure is starting to mount at cornerback for Auburn in this class as targets come and go. Right now, JC Hartseems to be the most likely option and he'd be a strong pickup for Auburn. Behind him, though, things start to get murky. 

With Ja'Keem Jackson trending towards Florida, Auburn will need to re-evaluate the board and look at what else is left. 

Nehemiah Pritchett is the only senior on roster though, so if Jaylin Simpson returns, Auburn could end up not having a big need to bring in any more than two cornerbacks from the high school ranks.

Sponsored Content

If You Have an Enlarged Prostate Do This Now (No Surgery)

undefined

By growthmax.info

LEARN MORE

SAFETY (1 COMMIT)

Urgency Level: 2

The urgency to get another safety to pair with 4-star commit Terrance Love is pretty low right now, and for good reason. Donovan Kaufman, Cayden Bridges, Craig McDonald, Caleb Wooden, Marquise Gilbert and Zion Puckett all will have eligibility remaining after this season, with Puckett being the only one to have just one year left.

Auburn may end up being content just taking Love in this class, but work is still being put in on Ohio State commit Cedrick Hawkins to see if a flip can be pulled off.

SPECIAL TEAMS (0 COMMITS)

Urgency Level: 0

5COMMENTS

Simply put, there's no real need here for anyone on special teams in this class. Auburn got its kicker of the future in the last class in Alex McPherson and Oscar Chapman still has two years of eligibility left.

A punter probably won't be in the cards until the 2024 class, so Auburn can save any special teams spots to bring in players elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

2021 Recruiting Class

• 4* ER Dylan Brooks - top 100 prospect that we managed to take from Tennessee. Redshirted this past season but will be expected to fight for the starting spot next season. 
  • 4* DL Lee Hunter - transferred to UCF after one season. Came in with a lot of bad weight and seemed to fuss the entire time he was here.
  • 4* DB Ahmari Harvey - I actually knew one of his high school teachers and coaches. He told me when Harvey committed that he wasn't going to make it here. He transferred to Georgia Tech after one season.
  • 4* QB Dematrius Davis - transferred to Alabama State. I'm a little baffled he didn't go to a bigger program. I was concerned when he signed that his style and height wouldn't mesh with Harsin's preference.
  • 4* DL Marquis Robinson - saw one game of action before redshirting. Entered the transfer portal but ultimately decided to stay. With the additions of M'ba and Jones I would be curious if Robinson cracks the lineup anytime soon.
  • 4* WR Tar'varish Dawson - had all the hype last spring but either an injury or covid sidelined him. One thing that concerns me is even after a year in our strength and conditioning program he is 6 lbs lighter than he was listed coming out of high school.
  • 3* WR Hal Presley - transferred to Baylor after a month. Rumors were that he missed his girlfriend. One way or another homesickness caused him to head out.
  • 3* ER Tobechi Okoli - very athletic but raw out of high school. Redshirted last season.
  • 3* TE Landen King - has been moved to wide receiver permanently and flashed moments of excellence. Played in 8 games recording 5 receptions for 59 yards and 1 TD. He averaged 11.8 yards per catch.
  • 3* OT Colby Smith - has gained an inch and 10 lbs out of high school now playing at a massive 6'8" 324 lbs. He redshirted last year and will likely compete for a starting spot in 2023.
  • 3* IOL Garner Langlo - standing at 6'6" 300 lbs he could realistically play inside or outside. He redshirted last season.
  • 3* DL Ian Matthews - transferred to Missouri. I was a little surprised to see him transfer to another SEC program. Was never overly high on his abilities but felt like he wouldn't bolt after one season.
  • 3* RB Jarquez Hunter - it is ridiculous to me that he was rated as the #711 player nationally and only #44 among running backs. Hunter was a massive contributor this year though he struggled against better competition. He has to develop more patience and discipline with his running; especially in short yardage situations.
  • 3* LB Joko Willis - transferred from Independence Community College. I would have liked to see more weight put on his frame but we should see more involvement from the sophomore this season. He may bulk into an edge over time.
  • 3* CB Ro Torrence - transferred from Hutchinson Community College. Has since left the program for Arizona State. Really a shame I liked his film, length, and upside.
  • 3* CB Kamal Hadden - transferred to Tennessee prematurely in my opinion. Some JuCo kids I think expect to come in and start right away. Hadden has since expressed some regret for leaving.
  • 3* CB Armani Diamond - at 6'0" 161 he is 10 lbs lighter than he was listed in high school. I honestly felt like we signed him to help seal the deal on Lee Hunter and because we had a huge number of spots left. He redshirted but I think his lack of weight gain is concerning. 
  • 3* DB Cayden Bridges - didn't even have a national rating and was listed as the 151st safety in the class. He has drastically outperformed that rating in practices and is expected to fight for a starting spot this season.
  • 3* DB Juwon Gaston - one of the very few auburn commits to not academically qualify over the years. He went to Hutchinson Community College with the expectation of coming to Auburn after getting his grades right... that doesn't seem to be part of our plans anymore.
  • WR Demetris Robertson - transferred from Georgia. Signed as an UDFA with the Seattle Seahawks. Had 489 receiving yards and 4 touchdowns. He was THE main target at one point but something happened along the line to make him much less targeted. Was definitely a good stop-gap solution for a weak receiver core.
  • RB Jordon Ingram - transferred from Central Michigan. Listed as a sophomore he is helping add depth to the program. He is also one of many transfers that was originally from Alabama; this helps with building good will in the state. Sadly he does seem to be buried in the depth chart even behind former walk-on Sean Jackson.
  • QB TJ Finley - transferred from LSU. I am not a fan let me preface this with that statement. However, without him we likely lose against Georgia State and don't have any quality depth. Whatever we think about TJ the staff obviously felt he was still better than what Dee could have done. I do expect him to transfer out after this season.
  • DL Marcus Harris - transferred from Kansas. Listed as a junior for this upcoming season. Played in 12 games last year scoring 1 touchdown, recording 27 tackles (6 for a loss and 2 sacks). He is a great role player and has the athleticism to continue to contribute. I expect him to take a positive step this year and possibly be THE guy in 2023.
  • DB Donovan Kaufman - transferred from Vanderbilt. I am not a big fan of undersized players. They are hard to get drafted which then in turn hurts recruiting. That being said, Kaufman is smart and fast enough that he can be utilized all over the field. Listed as a sophomore this year he still has a lot of time left to develop. Kaufman played in 13 games last year recording 34 tackles (1 sack and 2 for a loss), 1 interception, 3 pass deflections, and a whopping 3 forced fumbles. Despite his size the kid can ball. Additionally, he returned 3 kicks for 61 yards.
  • DB Bydarrius Knighten - transferred from Southeast Missouri State. Signed with the Houston Gamblers in the USFL. Had 46 tackles, 2 interceptions, and 2 pass breakups. Adding a nice piece to last years team. A shame he was out of eligibility. 
  • NT Tony Fair - transferred from UAB. Recorded 9 total tackles, 1.5 for a loss, 1 sack, and appeared in 12 games. A nice rotational piece but not quite the player we hoped for. Signed with USFL team the Philadelphia Stars.
  • DB Dreshun Miller - transferred from West Virginia where he was an All-Big 12 honorable mention. Then proceded to only see action in one game. Now he is a walk-on at NC State. How does that happen? Entitled attitudes and poor effort will not get rewarded here at Auburn.
  • ER Eku Leota - transferred from Northwestern. Listed as a senior this season (though I think there is a possibility he utilizes his bonus year). Had 23 total tackles (a whopping 10 of which were for a loss), 7 sacks, and one forced fumble. I was VERY excited about this addition and his sack totals show you why. Underrated player even now coming into the season.

28 total additions, 9 of which have left the program, 8 were instant impact performers, and three "one-and-dones" now playing professionally. Not bad at all for such a short notice class.

2022 Recruiting Class

• 4* CB JaDarian Rhym - one of our spoils from plundering the LSU program that imploded towards the end of last season. Is supposedly already pushing for playing time.
  • 4* QB Holden Geriner - honestly looked better in the spring game than TJ Finley. The staff really believes he is the long term future of the program. Has all the tangibles.
  • 4* DL Jeffrey M'ba - at 6'6" 305 he is going to be a problem. Still very raw and overcoming a shoulder surgery may slow down his impact. If I recall correctly he should have a minimum of three years to contribute. Very high on this prospect.
  • 4* OT Eston Harris Jr. - finally a solid and true offensive tackle coming out of high school. It might be a minute until he is ready to contribute but he was a much needed piece to this class.
  • 4* TE Micah Riley-Ducker - possibly my favorite prospect out of this class. He has tremendous size and athleticism and a mean streak as a blocker. There is a huge log jam on the depth chart ahead of him but look for him to get some reps.
  • 3* DB Marquise Gilbert - comes to us from Hutchinson Community College. When he was recruited some of the staff felt like he had the potential to start right away. It doesn't seem like that is the case now but he will contribute and push for a spot in the two deep.
  • 3* WR Jay Fair - a small guy with a lot of speed. I think he will complete for snaps at the slot position. While he will have a lot to learn I think he is more physically gifted than our other slot receivers.
  • 3* LB Powell Gordon - a project through and through make no mistake. Another local kid that might be on the bubble of actually being an SEC talent or not. Still his 6-2 228 lbs frame makes him big enough to physically compete. The staff is still split on whether or not he becomes an edge or a more traditional linebacker. After watching him at camps against some of the highest rated offensive linemen I do think his #678 national ranking is ridiculously low.
  • 3* DB Caleb Wooden - think Smoke Monday type enforcer with a little bit better football IQ and speed. His ceiling is high and he legitimately is pushing for a spot on the two deep despite being ranked #854th in the nation.
  • 4* LB Robert Woodyard - flipped from Alabama (always a huge deal) but will still be recovering from a pretty serious injury. I don't think we see much of him this year but he should develop well for us.
  • 4* DB Austin Ausberry - not as tall and long as you'd prefer but the kid is a baller with a high football IQ. I only wish he would have been an early enrollee. I am not sure how much he will see the field but he is a very solid piece in the backfield. It wouldn't shock me to see him at safety, nickel, or either of the corner back spots.
  • 4* DB Tre Donaldson - appears to be basketball only as a few projected. A shame considering his skills at safety were solid.
  • 4* CB Keionte Scott - watching his film I think he is a little smaller than his listed 6'0" 185 but he was a highly recruited corner. He is likely going to push for a starting role.
  • 4* RB Damari Alston - might be our most college ready player among the high school recruits. I honestly think people who are putting him lower than third on the depth chart are out of their minds. He'll get more touches than what some think.
  • 4* WR Omari Kelly - another recruiting win over Alabama that isn't celebrated enough. Incredibly athletic and could actually play defensive back just as well. I don't think he sees the field much this year coming in at 6'0" instead of his listed 6'2" he isn't the big guy I had hoped he was.
  • 3* WR Camden Brown - a nice pickup from Saint Thomas Aquinas with a big build (6'3" 202 lbs). Another player that I would say is a little raw and in need of more development. Excellent at fighting for jump balls.
  • 3* DL Enyce Sledge - a late addition to the class with a solid build for a nose tackle. He will need some time in a college strength program before he sees the field. Luckily we have the depth to give him that time.
  • 3* K Alex McPherson - it is a HUGE deal to get the nation's number 1 kicker and a legacy of a brother killing it in the NFL. Beating out the Gators for McPherson was a big win. Excited to see him continue our tradition of good kickers.
  • WR Koy Moore - comes to us from LSU with a lot of great physical tools as a 4* coming out of high school. Listed as a sophomore on our roster. Had 27 catches for 248 yards. 
  • DB Craig McDonald - transferred from Iowa State where he saw a lot of meaningful playing time and always seemed to be in the right spot. He has a legitimate chance of starting.
  • WR Dazalin Worsham - battled an injury at Miami before transferring to Auburn. Has a lot of upside but no production yet.
  • LB Eugene Asante - another linebacker under 6'1" but with playing time. I am not high on this addition but he provides depth if nothing else.
  • DB DJ James - transferred from Oregon where he was a legitimate starter. Listed as a junior on Auburn's roster he will look to make an immediate impact. Another Alabama native.
  • QB Zach Calzada - transferred from Texas A&M where he was admittedly mediocre; though the win over Alabama showed a flash of his ability. Should earn the starting quarterback job and has been putting an insane amount of work in during these player lead sessions. He is coming off an injury though.
  • DL Jayson Jones - 6'6.5" 328 lbs is nothing to sneeze at and he earned legitimate playing time at Oregon. While he mostly fills up holes he is a ridiculous sized player that can play all across the line. Another Alabama native and this one is listed as only a sophomore.

Only taking 17 guys out of high school is not something I am a fan of especially with the new transfer rules. Just not a sustainable practice. The staff is stubborn with their board and passing on guys in favor of higher rated prospects; but when we don't land the preferred guys we don't seem to take a fallback plan. This group is obviously harder to evaluate because they haven't had a chance to do anything yet.

Calzada, Jones, James, McDonald, Moore, Alston, Scott, Wooden, M'ba, and Rhym are all dudes I expect to have an instant impact even if that is on Special Teams. I think we got a lot of quality in this class but taking only one offensive lineman was absolutely infuriating and inexcusable. That said, I do really like this class and think guys like Geriner and McPherson are also going to be key pieces to the future of this program.

We took 9 transfers in 2021, 7 in 2022, and I expect a number close to that in 2023. It is just a new wrinkle in the recruiting process. The guys transferring are truly capable of instant impact performance. They are also less likely to transfer again which can make things easier from a roster management standpoint.

2023 Class Analysis:

• Quarterback - recruiting here has not been great. We missed on our first 2-3 choices and then put all our eggs in the Brock Glenn basket. There is a distinct possibility we don't target a quarterback in this class if we can't land a guy of a certain caliber. There are a lot of dominoes to fall though. FSU could explode opening up the Brock Glenn recruitment, Miami is taking 2 QBs but maybe one doesn't want to stay (not Rashada), same for the other QB at FSU who would get pushed out by Glenn possibly, Bama is also taking two QBs which might not hold. We will just have to wait on this position to unfold.
  • Running Back - we got our guy in 4* RB Jeremiah Cobb and he really might be RB1 after Tank leaves. He is good. Now the goal is finding RB2 in this class. We still keep working on UCLA commit Roderick Robinson II from California.
  • Wide Receiver - I am thus far unimpressed with Ike Hilliard who is new to college recruiting. 4* Karmello English is a great pickup but likely an easy pull regardless of who is at Auburn. We don't seem to have any other names trending despite needing two more. My fear is we have a decent number of WR transfers after this year if guys like Capers continue to under-produce.
  • Tight End - it all comes down to 4* Jelani Thurman which makes me anxious. I don't think he is a slam dunk for us by any means with so much family in Michigan. If he comes to Big Cat Weekend I'll start to feel confident. The good news? Luke Deal is allegedly planning on using his Super-Senior year.
  • Offensive Line  - I just don't have a lot of nice things to say. We finally expanded our board a little bit and it might look we're settling a little but crap man we need bodies in the worst kinda way. Transfers are going to be vital to not having a steep drop off next season.
  • Defensive Line & Edge - so much talent at this position. I believe we will finish with a number of 4* guys at these positions. Just not sure who that ends up being. Big Cat Weekend will tell us a lot about this position. I don't think there is any way we finish poorly here. Might not be our first choices but there is plenty of great talent here.
  • Linebacker - 4* Ausberry wants to make sure our coaches will still be here. After that we're running second for a bunch of 4* guys. We are looking to get a little bit taller at the linebacker position. I trust C-Rob who has always recruited well to close out here successfully.
  • Defensive Back - 4* Terrance Love is a monster but after that I'm not sure what the plan is. We are apparently not 100% sold on Hart and aren't pursuing heavily as of now which disappoints me a little bit. Jackson is trending towards Florida but if he makes it to Big Cat that would be huge. I have no idea who our second safety might be. Fans do have to remember at defensive back we have a lot of guys with a lot of eligibility left. So the urgency here isn't near as big as some other spots.

I would currently give this recruiting class a "C-" for how the staff is performing. The effort and approach are so much better than last year but the results have been knee-capped by the attempted coup. Faulk and one other McElderry both admitted to insiders that Auburn might have been the destination if their families felt more confident in our staff still being there at the end of the day.

The first five games of our season will heavily dictate our recruiting results by the end of December. We don't have to be perfect but we need to be competent and win enough games that it is clear Harsin will be here for 2023.

OL: "Settling and finding bodies" means AU is still struggling and falling behind! If this team doesn't win NOW to greatly help recruiting THIS year, AU will be coach hunting again in less than 6 months and the program will be set back another 2 years. I really want Harsin to succeed but we are clearly treading in the wrong direction, unimpressive coaching hires this past off season and booster undermining is all a recipe for disaster.  

Edited by keywest
update

1 hour ago, keywest said:

OL: "Settling and finding bodies" means AU is still struggling and falling behind! If this team doesn't win NOW to greatly help recruiting THIS year, AU will be coach hunting again in less than 6 months and the program will be set back another 2 years. I really want Harsin to succeed but we are clearly treading in the wrong direction, unimpressive coaching hires this past off season and booster undermining is all a recipe for disaster.  

I would rather have taken a gamble on 4 more OL last year that didn't pan out than not having anything. Odds are one out four 3* would pan out.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Zeek said:

The staff is stubborn with their board and passing on guys in favor of higher rated prospects; but when we don't land the preferred guys we don't seem to take a fallback plan.

Again?!?

Damn.

I remember hearing this before with Gus.

32 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Again?!?

Damn.

I remember hearing this before with Gus.

Yep. Disturbingly similar.

Great analysis @Zeek A couple of things that pop: way too many guys that are raw and too many are undersized. It’s okay to have a handful that meet that descriptor but you can’t keep pace with the top of the SEC with too many of those. The more analysis I see of our recruiting the past few seasons the easier it is to understand how 8-5 is such a prevalent end of year record. 

• Like 2

The 2021 class was a transition class as we can see. The good news is that 4 of the guys in that class with great chances to produce the most are Harsin guys. 2022 people have wrote off for a while, but I think we need to see how these guys perform first. That's jmo and think we owe our players that. One thing I do like is Harsin's emphasis of frames, measurables, and future upside. Gus would recruit too many guys that maxed out in HS (Lee Hunter)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Did Hadden come out and say anything about regretting his decision?

It was cryptic but yeah he made a few social media posts and replies to former Auburn teammates that seemed to imply the grass wasn't greener on the other side.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Preciate your work, wish you'd refrain from the character judgements, especially since you are a mod now. People are going to believe whatever you say and take it as gospel so you should treat it that way when you post. 

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

Oh what this defense could have been this year.....

Who that we lost on D makes you feel this way? I'm assuming your talking about transfers since there's nothing we can do about the guys that ran outta eligibility

11 hours ago, au302 said:

Who that we lost on D makes you feel this way? I'm assuming your talking about transfers since there's nothing we can do about the guys that ran outta eligibility

Hunter, peges, Mason, height, Harvey, Reid, tennison, Johnson

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Hunter, peges, Mason, height, Harvey, Reid, tennison, Johnson

Pegues and Height hurt big time depth wise, but I don't see any of them changing the trajectory of a defense. Maybe Height because I definitely think he can be a stud. If we had lost Wooden, Hall, Leota, etc I'd definitely agree with you. Hunter seemed like he needed quite a bit of S/C work, and the others seemed meh

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, au302 said:

Pegues and Height hurt big time depth wise, but I don't see any of them changing the trajectory of a defense. Maybe Height because I definitely think he can be a stud. If we had lost Wooden, Hall, Leota, etc I'd definitely agree with you. Hunter seemed like he needed quite a bit of S/C work, and the others seemed meh

All of those guys would’ve provided quality depth. You need quality depth to get through the SEC

11 minutes ago, au302 said:

Pegeus was getting better as year went on maybe ready for a breakout year but I believe Jayson Jones and Mba more than make up for Hunter and Pegeus.  Height was depth we needed at Edge but he was still 6'5" and 216 pounds as he did not seem to be able to put on weight but I still think he hurts us as edge depth is our weakest point on D unless a couple of players step up. I have heard Joko Willis is getting reps as Edge but like Height needs more weight. Tobechi Okoli might be the answer to some of our edge depth he has the tools but not the experience. The three DB's hurt some as I think they provided depth but I think McDonald, DJ James, Ausberry and Wooden make up for that.  We should have a really good D this year but the key just like last years is can the O cut down on the number of 3 and out series that allowed the D to be gassed by end of game.  If we have an improved O this year we will have an improved D if O is same or worse Our D does not have enough depth to carry team all year especially in 4th quarter of games and as season progresses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, au302 said:

Lol. Ok. But that's the problem usually. Not being able to identify and see what guys really bring and thinking everybody is meh......then in the future we are crying and saying we don't have the talent to compete

• Facepalm 2

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

Lol. Ok. But that's the problem usually. Not being able to identify and see what guys really bring and thinking everybody is meh......then in the future we are crying and saying we don't have the talent to compete

We only could have kept like 5 guys though. The 85 is in full effect still. Plus we lost a lot on offense. The new staff is gonna want to get in new players. Can't keep all of them, for better or worse