Keeping Harsin is the lesser of two evils

BanditQb

11 hours ago, StuckMic91 said:

The whole self defeatist attitude on getting a good coach is a bad take especially after all of the moves last year. I did a whole breakdown on a different thread. If we open the checkbook and let the guy operate we have plenty of options.

Aranda, Wittingham, Freeze, Kiffin, Meyer, Stoops 1, Stoops 2. The list goes on but they are out there. Cristobal and Stoops were way closer to being here than people want to believe. I have settled on wanting Freeze personally but the “who are we going to get” is just a lazy take. We have a top 10 earning program. Time to pony up for a top 10 coach and let him work.

Self defeatist is the AU BOT

Aranda and Wittingham would not leave. Freeze is a possibility. Kiffin and Any of the Stoops will not come. Urban my listen

• Dislike 2

17 hours ago, DAG said:

Getting defensive . Pressure getting to him 

I'm just happy to see some kind of emotion from him. Dude's getting blown out in the biggest home game of the year and he sits on the sideline looking like a bored desk jockey at 4:30pm on a Friday afternoon throwing pencils at the ceiling tiles waiting for 5pm happy hour. 

12 hours ago, AU_Canoe said:

I truly understand the power brokers but would AU make a head coaching change before getting an AD in place? This is Auburn, but still. 

I saw the rumor on this forum that our interim AD is already planned to be the permanent guy, and we're just going through the motions pretending to have the job open and launching a search. 

In any case, nothing stopping us from firing Harsin early and then letting the new AD hire the next guy. Saves us from the risk of the new AD for whatever reason wanting to give Hars another year before pulling the trigger.

• Like 1

I used to make the same argument for Gus. When Gus bet on himself and the future of the Auburn program looked stale and worsening, it was time to cut bait.

Harsin is in the same situation. He is on a quicker time table, but he is doing it his way and so far against competition with any sort of pulse we've folded like a cheap kite. It would take a Herculean turn around to win back any kind of good will with the fan base. Unfortunately there's nothing to inspire even the faintest hope of that happening.

2 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I'm just happy to see some kind of emotion from him. Dude's getting blown out in the biggest home game of the year and he sits on the sideline looking like a bored desk jockey at 4:30pm on a Friday afternoon throwing pencils at the ceiling tiles waiting for 5pm happy hour. 

I saw the rumor on this forum that our interim AD is already planned to be the permanent guy, and we're just going through the motions pretending to have the job open and launching a search. 

In any case, nothing stopping us from firing Harsin early and then letting the new AD hire the next guy. Saves us from the risk of the new AD for whatever reason wanting to give Hars another year before pulling the trigger.

Is this not the AD version of the Kevin Steele situation?

On 9/19/2022 at 8:33 AM, BanditQb said:

5 stars are not coming here right now (no matter the coach). A good team is a long way off, but it would be an even longer way off by firing Harsin.

Previous 2 HCs signed these, rated 5 star by at least one of the 3 major sites:

Demond Washington

Eltoro Freeman

Michael Dyer

Trovon Reed

Cam Newton

Christian Westerman

Montravius Adams

Carl Lawson

Tre Williams

Roc Thomas

Byron Cowart

Derrick Brown

Nate Craig-Myers

Calvin Ashley

Bo Nix

Owen Pappoe

Tank Bigsby

So Chizik’s staff got 6 in 4 classes.

Gus’ staff got 11 in 8 classes.

How many 5 stars has Harsin’s staff signed/committed in 1 year and 9 months?

The situation in 2008 and 2012 were similarly bleak as they are now, yet those HCs and staffs, who have both been ripped to shreds over the years, still managed to recruit well.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Viper said:

Demond Washington

Eltoro Freeman

Michael Dyer

Trovon Reed

Cam Newton

Christian Westerman

Montravius Adams

Carl Lawson

Tre Williams

Roc Thomas

Byron Cowart

Derrick Brown

Nate Craig-Myers

Calvin Ashley

Bo Nix

Owen Pappoe

Tank Bigsby

The situation in 2008 and 2012 were similarly bleak as they are now, yet those HCs and staffs, who have both been ripped to shreds over the years, still managed to recruit well.

If AU doesn't sign a top 100 player this year it will be 2 years in a row of not signing even 1 player on the top 100. I doubt that has ever happened since recruiting rankings started.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, peashooter said:

If AU doesn't sign a top 100 player this year it will be 2 years in a row of not signing even 1 player on the top 100. I doubt that has ever happened since recruiting rankings started.

correctamundo-pulp-fiction.gif
hans-gruber-very-perceptive.gif

Name calling or degrading remarks are not necessary when a simple NO is sufficient. Harsin is done at Auburn. The longer he stays, the further our program falls behind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Demond Washington

Eltoro Freeman

Michael Dyer

Trovon Reed

Cam Newton

Christian Westerman

Montravius Adams

Carl Lawson

Tre Williams

Roc Thomas

Byron Cowart

Derrick Brown

Nate Craig-Myers

Calvin Ashley

Bo Nix

Owen Pappoe

Tank Bigsby

kiehl(sp) Frazier was also a 5* duel-threat QB

4 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

Install Calzada as the starter and Auburn will get to 8 wins. Let Robby continue to get his limited time but Calzada gives Auburn the best chance to win. 

OLine will get him injured

We currently have 3 "evils" that will be walked through with Harsin

Keeping in February: Right call if he's innocent of what he was accused of, and there is zero reason to think otherwise. 

Keeping Now: Bad move. It ain't getting better. Just puts us behind another recruiting class.

Firing: Not an evil. He was dealt adversity that wasn't 100% his fault, but it is what it is. Cut him loose, pay him well, and thank him for his time. 

The craziest thing about all of this is that if Bo stays healthy, we beat USC and Bama, and probably outscore MSU to hang on for a win. If those games are W's, this thing probably doesn't implode and we have a good 2022 signing class. 

Obviously there were issues at hand, but I don't know if they would've been illuminated if we had a 10 win season counting a bowl. It truly is a game of inches. 

5 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

Install Calzada as the starter and Auburn will get to 8 wins. Let Robby continue to get his limited time but Calzada gives Auburn the best chance to win. 

1) The rumor is that Calzada hurt his shoulder doing a stupid non-football activity. That's why he hasn't played at all and Harsin doesn't want to say anything.

2) Ahahaha at winning 8 games with this team even WITH Calzada (who is at best an average QB btw). Are you serious? Did you not watch any of the games? This team has no OL and the defense looks worse than last year. They are dangerously close to outright just falling apart/giving up. We look bad on both offense AND defense. To win 8 games you need t find 5 SEC wins on this schedule (assuming that Western Kentucky is a win)! I'd LOVE to hear what 5 SEC teams you think we will beat with this team and this coaching staff 😂.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

The craziest thing about all of this is that if Bo stays healthy, we beat USC and Bama, and probably outscore MSU to hang on for a win. If those games are W's, this thing probably doesn't implode and we have a good 2022 signing class. 

So Bo actually did get 2 coaches fired.  That ain't easy to do, lol.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Viper said:

I thought of Frazier, but checked on him and was a 4-star per 247, but of course, could have been a 5-star per the other two:

https://247sports.com/Player/Kiehl-Frazier-460/high-school-1115/

I think Scout rated Frazier 5-stars. 247, Rivals, and ESPN rated him 4-stars.

Edited by meh130
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, The Freak said:

AD is a puppet anyway.  Might as well go ahead and get it done.

I would also imagine that if AU is trying to distance themselves from the public perception of chronic interference and dysfunction by the powers, then for PR sake, they would hire an AD who will then fire/hire a HC.  Technically, all could be done in a busy day. If I was a high dollar agent of a HC, I would stir the conversation ASAP because that equates to potential increase in $$$. Plus, many use the same agent. Jimmy Sexton knows more than just the ADs, I feel confident he knows the boosters that provide the $$$s to his clients via the ADs.  

Edited by AU_Canoe

On 9/19/2022 at 9:47 AM, AEAugirl said:

Name ONE THING Harsin has improved related to Auburn’s program since he arrived in Auburn at the end of 2020.  Just one thing.  Anything.  

His biceps 😂 I know it’s not related to the team. 

Edited by Auburn Tiger

Above all else what gets me is recruiting. Everyone was upset with how Gus’s recruiting tapered off at the end of his regime. But it has managed to become worse under Harsin. You can’t win today if you can’t recruit. Unless Harsin shows recruiting prowess right now, he has no chance to turn it around.

• Love 1