I’m Gutted for the Players

Barnacle

11 minutes ago, CamZilla_15 said:

So teams should have everything together and figured out by the time the first game comes? Injuries play a factor as well as you never know how they will respond under the lights when you watch them in practice.

More figured out than Gus or Harsin have. Agreed injuries can really hinder you and that can’t be blamed on the coaches. However, we got better with our injuries which means you had your better players on the bench. By halftime against SJSU someone should have stood up and said “hey the two QB system isn’t working, our o-line is a turnstile, Scott isn’t cutting it in punt return, and we need to get some of these big bodied receivers on the field.” You really can’t excuse it past the first half of Penn State. Waiting until LSU almost halfway through the season to make adjustments is poor decision making. Calling a trick play with Koy Moore in the red zone when Hunter has been gashing them on the ground and Robby has been consistent enough to win is bad decision making. Not trying your Freshman kicker with a canon for a leg on 4th-10 since Ander’s is clearly not 100% or just punting is bad decision making. Couple that with guys who haven’t seen a lot of playing time and well, you saw the results.

15 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Nowhere did I say that the players were perfect. There is a pattern and practice with this staff that has become disturbing: 
E1F79DE7-E046-4446-834A-C022D6F3BAEA.jpeg.8c72bab75ca04cdb0736ba942e0366d1.jpeg

Again, the players deserve better. 

So coaches can’t own everything negative. I agree there were some poor calls but there always are when 60-80 plays are being called. Especially when the playbook is minimized to the extreme it is due to OK/QB  limitations. TO’s cost us that game (thats execution by players) not play calling.

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

So coaches can’t own everything negative. I agree there were some poor calls but there always are when 60-80 plays are being called. Especially when the playbook is minimized to the extreme it is due to OK/QB  limitations. TO’s cost us that game (thats execution by players) not play calling.

So Harsin's inability or unwillingness to deal with glaring team issues like OLine, QB depth, etc. don't count as his fault when it restricts him from playcalling appropiately? 

Edited by KansasTiger

43 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

So Harsin's inability or unwillingness to deal with glaring team issues like OLine, QB depth, etc. don't count as his fault when it restricts him from playcalling appropiately? 

QB room post Harsin is much improved over pre-Harsin. The 2QB’s he brought in are both hurt. Thats not his fault. RA was brought in as a down the line project. Remember who we had as Bo’s back-up? I agree on OL, but he’s not going to change that side in a year even if he had good recruiting in that group. Team definitely looked better yesterday (Especially on QB/OL). Mistakes are what costed us yesterday. But again, don’t think it matters for future as I think he will be gone, just a matter if when.

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Look, I’m not here to pile on Harsin. His fate has already been decided, but my point remains the same. Of course players need to own their mistakes, but last night was indicative of a larger problem within this program, namely this staff’s inability to adjust at the half. Either Harsin is the recipient of some of the worst luck I’ve ever witnessed (his players “execute” during the first half, and fall apart during the second - which, also implicates coaching) or, alternatively, the staff is consistently failing to adjust at the half. Play calling last night was a nightmare. You talk about limitations due to personnel, yet we are asking Robbie Ashford to throw the ball 40 times. Sure, if we don’t turn the ball over, we win a close game. On the other hand, I think we win the game going away with a better plan. Just my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

QB room post Harsin is much improved over pre-Harsin. The 2QB’s he brought in are both hurt. Thats not his fault. RA was brought in as a down the line project. Remember who we had as Bo’s back-up? I agree on OL, but he’s not going to change that side in a year even if he had good recruiting in that group. Team definitely looked better yesterday (Especially on QB/OL). Mistakes are what costed us yesterday. But again, don’t think it matters for future as I think he will be gone, just a matter if when.

I respectfully disagree. Them being hurt doesn't mean those 2 QBs were good to begin with, and in fact we have seen evidence the entire QB room was a mess from the start of the year. That is Harsin's fault. Them getting hurt doesn't bail him out of that.

He could have made the OL prospects at the very least better for the long run and very easily could have made upgrades from what we currently have in two offseasons. 

Many of those costly mistakes were coaching mistakes. Going for it on 4th and 10 near the 40, up by 3, and play calling a 30 yd 50/50 ball with a less than accurate QB is quite literally the definition of coaching mistakes. And then he did it again and got bailed out with a questionable holding penalty. So he didnt even learn from the first failure.

Edited by KansasTiger

18 hours ago, CamZilla_15 said:

What about if the players maybe made a few plays that they didn’t and didn’t fumble handoffs and muff punts. Love that people act like it’s all coaching. 

The guys played their tails off but outside of a couple strange play calls I’d say it was a good game plan and we looked like the better team.

skeptical-chris-carey.gif.30e522974a3ebcb324dd5602deec4a96.gif

18 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I respectfully disagree. Them being hurt doesn't mean those 2 QBs were good to begin with, and in fact we have seen evidence the entire QB room was a mess from the start of the year. That is Harsin's fault. Them getting hurt doesn't bail him out of that.

He could have made the OL prospects at the very least better for the long run and very easily could have made upgrades from what we currently have in two offseasons. 

Many of those costly mistakes were coaching mistakes. Going for it on 4th and 10 near the 40, up by 3, and play calling a 30 yd 50/50 ball with a less than accurate QB is quite literally the definition of coaching mistakes. And then he did it again and got bailed out with a questionable holding penalty. So he didnt even learn from the first failure.

He still improved the depth of the room. Small improvement. Still has to go.