Silver Lining

RunInRed

I agree that it won't necessarily take three to four years to right the ship. A decent coach and the portal will see to that. The key here is "decent coach". Finding one is not easy. Hopefully we won't have to go through several more before we settle on one, but going through several is the norm.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Auburn has had a double digit lead in the last five SEC games. Of course, we only won one (last week vs Mizzou) of them. BUT just shows we have the talent level to at least be competitive. With a decent coach, a little portal recruiting for the trenches, and we can turn it around. 

Time to right this ship.

Like I said yesterday , Lincoln Riley got 52 dudes to USC. Deion Sanders can do the same.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Auburn has had a double digit lead in the last five SEC games. Of course, we only won one (last week vs Mizzou) of them. BUT just shows we have the talent level to at least be competitive. With a decent coach, a little portal recruiting for the trenches, and we can turn it around. 

Time to right this ship.

Just disliking because I’m a big baby. I can’t handle logic right now. 

I do agree 100%

• Haha 6

9 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Just disliking because I’m a big baby. I can’t handle logic right now. 

I do agree 100%

Congrats that made me chuckle. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I agree that it won't necessarily take three to four years to right the ship. A decent coach and the portal will see to that. The key here is "decent coach". Finding one is not easy. Hopefully we won't have to go through several more before we settle on one, but going through several is the norm.

Time to bring in Lashlee or Steele!!

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

We COULD have won 8 games this yr with halfway competent coaching.

Yes we could have, but there is not and was not "halfway competent coaching".  We could have won 10 last year with such coaching. By January it should have been obvious to all concerned that we did not have that level of coaching.

• Like 1

it must be really really bad because steven pearl tweeted "what a joke" after the game. that kind of shocked me even if it seems to be true.

Edited by aubiefifty
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

it must be really really bad because steven pearl tweeted "what a joke" after the game. that kid of shocked me even if it seems to be true.

Ouch. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Time to right this ship.

Very true. So we need to quit hunting another Nick Sabin and start looking for a coach that can get his players to play every week ( and the second half). With the NIL and the portal rules as well as Tx and Ok coming in next year it’s a great time to hire a new coach. What we need is a coach without gimmicks. Someone who believes  in hard work and holding folks accountable. A coach that can go to a players house and give them a reason why they should come to AU. That’s where Nick wins his games in recruiting. It starts with being honest with players and their family. Tell them they have to come in and work hard. Best players will play regardless of their ranking coming in. In return AU will do all I can to provide a place where these players can get an education and an opportunity to play at the next level. Selling them on the SEC should be simple. Our coach needs to be able to work the portals to find hidden talent stockpiled on big teams and convince them to bring their talent to AU and play now. Someone like Mark Stoops or Arkansas coach . AU has a lot to sell. But make the pay on performance and not on just signing. 🤔

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Time to right this ship.

Amen! People who think we’re Vandy level in talent are clueless. CFB is so dependent upon coaching. Yes, talent wins but you’re not winning titles on talent alone. Look at TAMU. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Time to right this ship.

Can you define competitive from a win-loss standpoint? Is it .500, .600, etc.?

33 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Very true. So we need to quit hunting another Nick Sabin and start looking for a coach that can get his players to play every week ( and the second half). With the NIL and the portal rules as well as Tx and Ok coming in next year it’s a great time to hire a new coach. What we need is a coach without gimmicks. Someone who believes  in hard work and holding folks accountable. A coach that can go to a players house and give them a reason why they should come to AU. That’s where Nick wins his games in recruiting. It starts with being honest with players and their family. Tell them they have to come in and work hard. Best players will play regardless of their ranking coming in. In return AU will do all I can to provide a place where these players can get an education and an opportunity to play at the next level. Selling them on the SEC should be simple. Our coach needs to be able to work the portals to find hidden talent stockpiled on big teams and convince them to bring their talent to AU and play now. Someone like Mark Stoops or Arkansas coach . AU has a lot to sell. But make the pay on performance and not on just signing. 🤔

You literally just described Harsin

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Sam Pittman does not make a lot of Arkansas fans happy this morning. He is being called the football version of Mike Anderson. We need someone who is going to get us over the top, not just be competitive. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

Look at @Proud Tigerstill handing out facepalms because somebody talked bad about his Boise Boy 🤣

Proud embarrassed himself so bad last spring. Surprised to see him still around.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Proud embarrassed himself so bad last spring. Surprised to see him still around.

He just likes handing out face palms is all doesn't really post that much anymore because of what happened in the spring.  😒

• Dislike 1

Even though it ultimately fell apart, I think we were heading in a positive direction IN THEORY with Gene Chizik. 

We need to recruit at a high level. It has to be a priority. Unlike Chizik, I think we need to take a lesson from Coach Pearl in finding an ambassador for Auburn football in our next coach. They have to want to sell the program not only to recruits, but to fans and boosters. Tuberville had many flaws, but this was an area he excelled at.  We also have to get out of this littleball mentality of thinking there's a shortcut to returning to competing at the top of the SEC. With Malzahn it was the "do more with less because of scheme". That was fine until the script got out. With Harsin, it was "we are such good planners and vetters of players we can get more out of less". That may work in the Sunbelt or Mountain West, but the talent and coaching in the SEC is just too good to handicap yourself. We have to make Auburn football fun and exciting and sell what we all know is special about this program. 

There's no obvious hire out there. Deion is flashy and well known, but he hasn't coached in the SEC or anywhere approaching this level of play. Freeze has earned himself a bad reputation that could take too long to overcome. Same goes with Meyer. I don't know what the answer is, but I'm hoping our next AD hire has the knowledge and experience to put us on the right track and for that, I'm willing to wait. I've heard we're close to making that hire and I hope that's true. If we can get this process started by the bye week, we might salvage something of this class and be positioned to make moves off-season in the portal.

There are only two reliably strong programs in the SEC right now, Georgia and bama. I think Fisher is going to do more harm than good to A&M before he's done. Kelly is a year or two away. Kiffin is close, but not there yet. Tennessee is improved, but still not at a top level. If we can make the right hire and start patching some holes in this roster, we can quickly be in the thick of things within a year or two. 

Edited by aucom96
  • Like 1

The team isn't untalented on the whole, but the OL, QB, and LB rooms are literally so untalented that is has dragged down the rest of the team. Finally we saw some good QB and OL play last night. LB though is horrible. 

New coach can quickly turn it around if he can convince these WR's to stay and cut everyone in the LB room and start over. OL is what it is, but Council played the best center I have seen since 2017. What this shows is that having a good center can make the rest of the OL look better. Get a good one in the portal and maybe it won't be so bad

• Like 1