If we make a change...

Zeek

To be honest I don’t want another high school offense. Ready for a pro style offensive minded head coach, that can develop QBs.

Edited by sevenlee36
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

I would always feel comfortable with Muschamp as DC. I know he brings intensity, will recruit, and get the most out of his talent. I don’t think he’d leave Georgia to come back to Auburn.

I think he would. He is in a very sub-servant role at UGA, although he might get sick of rebuilding auburn.

1 minute ago, EagleEye67 said:

Never seems to stay "built"

In my profession , Auburn definitely meets the criteria of bipolar depression. Small manic episodes ( high), serious depressive episodes (low) and bouts of maintenance (competitive).

• Sad 1

How is Kevin steele’s name on any head coaching list? He is a grandpa who hasn’t been a head coach this century

• Like 2

No one from the Gus/Hars Arkansas State tree. Freeze's offense is still gimmicky and HS, but just more polished than Gus. Better route trees versus Gus' running game. These simplistic systems usually do well against inferior competition, but then get exposed by better competition because the coordinators don't have to plan for much.

Lane yesterday. Only 22 points against Kentucky, who had equal talent. The "pro-style" we currently have isn't working, but I still hate those gimmicky offenses. 

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

My top 5 candidates to consider would be:

Hugh Freeze, Lane Kiffin, Deion Sanders, Dave Aranda, and Jeff Grimes in no particular order. I can write more about this if anyone is interested in my opinions on the matter. It does seem like it's just a matter of when not "if" Harsin will be fired.

Freeze gives me Malzahn vibes and I think he'd be, at least initially, a boat anchor on the recruiting trail. 

Kiffin is interesting if he surrounds himself with good coaches. He's someone who could bring excitement, but there's always been this kind of distracted air about him and his recruiting hasn't, to date, been overly encouraging. 

Sanders would also create a lot of excitement, but having gone through two inexperienced coaches learning on the job how to compete in the SEC makes me very wary of hiring one with even less experience at this level. Plus, the way Sanders handled himself as a player has me worried we'd run into the Trooper/Luper run of disciplinary problems. 

Aranda would be a good hire, although I don't know how he would be on the PR side. 

Grimes is a project, but he has experience in the SEC, with Auburn, has recruited at a high level for Auburn, built strong lines at Auburn and strikes me as a smart guy. If he built a good staff, he could be formidable. 

I would hope names like Lashley, Muschamp, Petrino, Steele or the like don't surface again, because that would tell me another booster scuffle was deciding our next coach and we need our next AD to make this hire. I don't think Auburn is worse than any other SEC school when it comes to boosters, but we certainly give off that impression every time we have to hire a football coach. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Sanders would also create a lot of excitement, but having gone through two inexperienced coaches learning on the job how to compete in the SEC makes me very wary of hiring one with even less experience at this level. Plus, the way Sanders handled himself as a player has me worried we'd run into the Trooper/Luper run of disciplinary problems. 

20 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Grimes is a project, but he has experience in the SEC, with Auburn, has recruited at a high level for Auburn, built strong lines at Auburn and strikes me as a smart guy. If he built a good staff, he could be formidable. 

Yep, This! I would have to put Sanders in the "Trooper/Luper" category. I think Grimes would be our best bet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I think he would. He is in a very sub-servant role at UGA, although he might get sick of rebuilding auburn.

He may be still getting paid by USCe, which may effect DC role.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

In my profession , Auburn definitely meets the criteria of bipolar depression. Small manic episodes ( high), serious depressive episodes (low) and bouts of maintenance (competitive).

How 'bout borderline personality disorder? Wants to be the star. Very insecure. Fear of failing prevents perseverance required to actually achieve the end goal. Fear of abandonment. Quick to take insult. Will be best, most loving friend you ever had to manic extent, but appearance of insult or fear of abandonment will send him/her into scorched earth war. Uh, always has some 'ailment' (hypochondria) or real injury (poor coping) that can present when things look like they're about to get better (power to choose to fail in lieu of anxiety over trying and potentially not being the best). Rarely makes it to a finish line, so just getting past the starting line becomes the standard of success. Frequently focused on miracle cures and quick fixes vice reasoned, diligent path toward success. Usually has very high intelligence quotient and other talents. Lack of perseverance, discipline, and consistency renders it an average achiever despite capacity for superlatives. Yeah, between a psychosis and neurosis, that's Auburn!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

This would be damn near impossible to pull off but give me:

HC - Deion Sanders

OC - Jeff Grimes

DC - Will Muschamp

Tell me that wouldn't dominate 

Hey if you are going to dream, dream big

• Like 1

I think Freeze would be the likely hire. He would likely be hired by AU under very specific terms in which any NCAA infractions would be just cause for termination with no buyout and probably a clause that he would owe any money paid to him by Auburn up to that point back to Auburn. Essentially how they landed Pearl for the basketball team.  I think Freeze might end up being a great coach but I'm not fully sold on him yet. I want to do more looking at the candidates before I pick one guy that is 1st on my list of who I want

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

Kiffin's recruiting out of high school leaves a lot to be desired but part of that could be being at Ole Miss. His ability to pull in the portal could help us immediately recover similar to what USC is doing right now. He has also made a very mediocre Jaxon Dart look much more serviceable.

did tubs not leave ol miss because they lied to him about upgrading the stadium,etc? maybe they have that kinda thing going?

5 hours ago, Zeek said:

This would be damn near impossible to pull off but give me:

HC - Deion Sanders

OC - Jeff Grimes

DC - Will Muschamp

Tell me that wouldn't dominate 

I approve this message. Now all you have to do is GET IT DONE! :)

2 hours ago, cctiger said:

Yep, This! I would have to put Sanders in the "Trooper/Luper" category. I think Grimes would be our best bet. 

Do y'all realize how bad JSU was before Deion got there?  He's far from Trooper.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Do y'all realize how bad JSU was before Deion got there?  He's far from Trooper.

I'm pretty sure he is referring to Trooper/Luper's great recruiting that was a bit on the shady side. Shady side or not, they did bring in the raw talent.

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm pretty sure he is referring to Trooper/Luper's great recruiting that was a bit on the shady side. Shady side or not, they did bring in the raw talent.

That's a wild assumption to make about Deion.

• Like 3

What exactly is a pro style offense. If u look around the NFL some teams have a lot of RPO /zone read installed into their offense. Pretty much every team uses the concept in some way or form. The quarterbacks are way more mobile. My point is I don’t under the term gimmick because the pros are using the concepts but being more creative with it based on their personnel. 

7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

That's a wild assumption to make about Deion.

I only know Deion by the man he was when he was a player. I was never impressed by that man. I fully understand he has likely grown and very well may be a future star coach, but my reference was more to the "recruit at all costs" Trooper/Luper approach, which brought some fantastic players to Auburn, but also a lot of trouble because they were buddies rather than mentors. If he's the pick, like I said, it's an exciting one, will bring a lot of buzz, and I'll be 100% behind him succeeding. 

3 hours ago, aucom96 said:

Freeze gives me Malzahn vibes and I think he'd be, at least initially, a boat anchor on the recruiting trail. 

Kiffin is interesting if he surrounds himself with good coaches. He's someone who could bring excitement, but there's always been this kind of distracted air about him and his recruiting hasn't, to date, been overly encouraging. 

Aranda would be a good hire, although I don't know how he would be on the PR side. 

I would hope names like Lashley, Muschamp, Petrino, Steele or the like don't surface again, because that would tell me another booster scuffle was deciding our next coach and we need our next AD to make this hire. I don't think Auburn is worse than any other SEC school when it comes to boosters, but we certainly give off that impression every time we have to hire a football coach. 

For what it’s worth I think we need the boosters, president, and AD all in agreeance on the next hire. We want NIL to thrive? Having a coach they can get behind helps tremendously.

No way to make everyone happy but there is a way to make them feel heard and respected enough to not be a hindrance. I think Grimes could really galvanize all parties.

• Like 4

1. Freeze

2. Kiffin

3. Sanders

We need a proven D1 coach, QB developer, and recruiter.  IMHO, of all the above, Freeze is #1.  Unfortunately, character-wise, he also seems to be #2.  Pun intended.

But at some point, everybody deserves a second chance.  I say we give Freeze his second chance.  I think he would make the most of it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zeek said:

For what it’s worth I think we need the boosters, president, and AD all in agreeance on the next hire. We want NIL to thrive? Having a coach they can get behind helps tremendously.

No way to make everyone happy but there is a way to make them feel heard and respected enough to not be a hindrance. I think Grimes could really galvanize all parties.

How likely do you think the others are, like Kiffin, Deion, Freeze, etc? If you had to guess, that is

1 hour ago, aucom96 said:

I only know Deion by the man he was when he was a player. I was never impressed by that man. I fully understand he has likely grown and very well may be a future star coach, but my reference was more to the "recruit at all costs" Trooper/Luper approach, which brought some fantastic players to Auburn, but also a lot of trouble because they were buddies rather than mentors. If he's the pick, like I said, it's an exciting one, will bring a lot of buzz, and I'll be 100% behind him succeeding. 

Would highly recommend watching some videos of Deion as a head coach.  The way he communicates to his players is impressive.

41 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

1. Freeze

2. Kiffin

3. Sanders

We need a proven D1 coach, QB developer, and recruiter.  IMHO, of all the above, Freeze is #1.  Unfortunately, character-wise, he also seems to be #2.  Pun intended.

But at some point, everybody deserves a second chance.  I say we give Freeze his second chance.  I think he would make the most of it.

1) Not everyone deserves a 2nd chance.

2) Why should Auburn be that guinea pig?  He hasn't done especially impressive, unless you consider 8-5 last year with an NFL QB impressive.

• Like 1