Harsin Post Game Presser

ScotsAU

4 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

We’ll probably. Need to give a coach 3-5 . But we have caused irreparable damage and will be forced to move on.

Harsin has also caused some irreparable damage to this program.  

Watching the game today with a buddy and after that idiotic fake punt he asked me if I thought Harsin was trying to sabotage this team?  Some of the play calling is so bad and at inopportune times that it looks like it’s a deliberate attempt to crash the team.  

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Yeah, they were fine in the Malzahn system.  No one could have predicted they wouldn't be good in the Harsin system.  It takes years to rebuild the OL.

You've convinced me.  Give the man an extension.

Your correct they wouldn’t work in either system (They we’re recruited for Gus’s system by Gus)…. Not sure of your argument? Either way I’m not pro Harsin but also not pro fire people prematurely and cause worse damage but at this point it don’t matter.

Edited by sevenlee36
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Watching the game today with a buddy and after that idiotic fake punt he asked me if I thought Harsin was trying to sabotage this team?  Some of the play calling is so bad and at inopportune times that it looks like it’s a deliberate attempt to crash the team.  

I don't believe he is deliberatly trying to crash the team. That just doesn't make sense. I believe he and the players want to win, but maybe he just doesn't have the skillset, like many of on this team to actually execute at a high level. There is no sugar-coating that we lack skills from the office to the field.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, keesler said:

Not sure he directly cause that media fire storm/witch hunt in the preseason.

16 minutes ago, creed said:

Scheme around a bad OL? Well I've got to here about this...how?

literally anything other than what we are doing currently. Lots of eye candy, motions, sweeps, spread the defense out and anything to get the ball out quickly and creatively. We seem to line up tightend heavy and hand the ball off to tank and thats about it.

8 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Your correct they wouldn’t work in either system (They we’re recruited for Gus’s system by Gus)…. Not sure of your argument? Either way I’m not pro Harsin but also not pro fire people prematurely and cause worse damage but at this point it don’t matter.

Harsin has had opportunities to address the obvious problem.  He has done nothing.  Not one new offensive lineman.

This was a problem that could not wait.  It was a clear priority. He did nothing, nothing at all.  It was no secret.

Give him another year but,,, because he did not do what was absolutely required day 1, barring a transfer portal miracle of the ages, next year will be worse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

There are hundreds, if not thousands of plays and schemes.

You throw quick passes to the flats, quick out routes, you chip and roll backs and TEs into open space.  You roll your QB rather than asking him to stand in a non-existent pocket.  You run wide, particularly against a team missing their best LB.  You watch film of their last two games and see how inferior teams were able to move the ball against them.  You run screens and use their advantage against them.  You run counter.  You have to patiently move the ball down the field.  What you do not do is burn multiple downs running into the A and B gaps.  You do not continue to throw routes over 15 yards. You do not fake a punt in your own territory in the first quarter.  You do not exhaust your defense with 3 and outs.

All of those require speed, quickness, and strength, which our current team lacks. Actually we've tried all of those shemes and due to the previously mentioned they failed. We throw quick passes, they worked against slower teams but not the fast ones. We roll the QB, but that just makes that side of the field easier to defend, we've run wide but again fast teams can cover wide runs, when you're only below average in speed like AU, and we've run the counter many times, but the pulling lineman is so slow the following dL is in the backfield at the point of handoff. Let's face it defenses play using a set of rules and reading the alignment. They could care less about the actual play. They care about their reads and postioning and hope they have enough speed to recover from mis-steps. Fooling modern day defenses is not something that works, except on rare occassions. Being quicker, faster and stronger with and adequeate game plan wins games.

• Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

literally anything other than what we are doing currently. Lots of eye candy, motions, sweeps, spread the defense out and anything to get the ball out quickly and creatively. We seem to line up tightend heavy and hand the ball off to tank and thats about it.

I guess you missed the speed sweeps with our fastes guy who weighs 150 lbs. Actually he isn't really all that fast, but we tried. Needless to say it was an easy tackle for a 200lb CB.

26 minutes ago, keesler said:

I wouldn't want to believe that but that play makes me think he is!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Not sure he directly cause that media fire storm/witch hunt in the preseason.

He didn’t cause the media fire storm but his actions caused an internal investigation.  He had players and coaches with grievances reported in exit interviews and AU had no choice but to conduct their own  investigation. Someone inside the AD dislikes him so much that they leaked the investigation to outsiders and it blew up from there.

Harsins lack of initiative and inaction on the recruiting trail is unacceptable to the point where some of the biggest HS coaches still haven’t even met him after 2 recruiting cycles.  
He talks a good game though, ill give him that. He preaches attention to detail, accountability, responsibility, discipline and culture yet he can’t be bothered to address the most glaring deficiency on his roster >>>> talent acquisition.  Just like it was time Malzhan was cut loose, it’s time to do the same with this bunch.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, creed said:

I guess you missed the speed sweeps with our fastes guy who weighs 150 lbs. Actually he isn't really all that fast, but we tried. Needless to say it was an easy tackle for a 200lb CB.

Yea bud it is not always going to work like it did in the eli stove days but what i saw primarily was a handoff to tank who then ran up the gut right in to one of lineman multiple times. 

Houston Nutt & Rick Nuheisle sitting in the TV booth and we have Bryan Harsin running the show at Auburn - we are morons.

8 minutes ago, Muscle Shoals Tiger said:

I wouldn't want to believe that but that play makes me think he is!

Fans shouldn’t even be in a position to question their coach about stuff like this.  Sadly this is where Harsin has taken us.  :wareagle:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, keesler said:

He didn’t cause the media fire storm but his actions caused an internal investigation.  He had players and coaches with grievances reported in exit interviews and AU had no choice but to conduct their own  investigation. Someone inside the AD dislikes him so much that they leaked the investigation to outsiders and it blew up from there.

Harsins lack of initiative and inaction on the recruiting trail is unacceptable to the point where some of the biggest HS coaches still haven’t even met him after 2 recruiting cycles.  
He talks a good game though, ill give him that. He preaches attention to detail, accountability, responsibility, discipline and culture yet he can’t be bothered to address the most glaring deficiency on his roster >>>> talent acquisition.  Just like it was time Malzhan was cut loose, it’s time to do the same with this bunch.

Don’t disagree that we have to have better talent acquisition but the first class wasn’t really his and this class was doomed from said witch hunt and the media and fan base which has not let up ever since. Not really easy recruiting with that constant outside noise. Again he’ll have to go but the dude never got a fair shake ( and I wasn’t a fan of Harsin out of the gate but I get the full picture of the mess and s*** cards he was dealt)

Edited by sevenlee36
  • Thanks 3
  • Dislike 3

1 hour ago, AUx said:

the football program has reached the malaise stage. I haven’t seen or heard anybody in the dept, AD, or admin too bothered by it. So, I can only speculate, there’s a gag order, everybody is mute/emasculated, they don’t understand/incompetent, or this is what they want ( malevolent). There’s one really weak style of leadership that lets an environment get abysmal to clear folks out (vs inspiring and building). Maybe that’s where we are. Sportscasters comment AU football’s offense has no identity. I say the football program has no identity. Absolutely insane state of dysfunction.

Imagine that. A pathetically run football program. Give it another year or so and BP will get poached and get the hell out of the fire that is AU admin. 

• Facepalm 1

37 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Harsin has had opportunities to address the obvious problem.  He has done nothing.  Not one new offensive lineman.

This was a problem that could not wait.  It was a clear priority. He did nothing, nothing at all.  It was no secret.

Give him another year but,,, because he did not do what was absolutely required day 1, barring a transfer portal miracle of the ages, next year will be worse.

If you know next year will be WORSE than what is probably going to be a 3-9 or 4-8 season this year, then why would you give him another year to dig us in a deeper hole? That makes no sense.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Don’t disagree that we have to have better talent acquisition but the first class wasn’t really his and this class was doomed from said witch hunt and the media and fan base which has not let up ever since. Not really easy recruiting with that constant outside noise. Again he’ll have to go but the dude never got a fair shake ( and I wasn’t a fan of Harsin out of the gate but I get the full picture of the mess and s*** cards he was dealt)

Oh he was dealt a sh!t sandwich and his family getting drug into it was straight up wrong.  It is unfortunate that Auburn has people working in the AD that would act to damage the Auburn brand and leak internal information.  

Harsin has had an opportunity to rebound, hit the recruiting roads like never before and blaze new relationships with the States big time HC’s and he hasn’t bothered to even make an effort to shake some of their hands or introduce himself.  When the Auburn Brand is poorly represented in this State at the high schools that pump out talent, that’s unacceptable.

When Auburn hosts a recruiting event and some of the top prospects pack the house and the HC doesn’t make an appearance to meet prospects and their parents, that reflects poorly on the Auburn Brand.   The HC better be selling his program 24/7/365 or he’s useless to his employer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Old fan 47 said:

Imagine that. A pathetically run football program. Give it another year or so and BP will get poached and get the hell out of the fire that is AU admin. 

That’d be a helluva buyout to poach BP. 

8 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

If you know next year will be WORSE than what is probably going to be a 3-9 or 4-8 season this year, then why would you give him another year to dig us in a deeper hole? That makes no sense.

Precisely.

42 minutes ago, creed said:

All of those require speed, quickness, and strength, which our current team lacks. Actually we've tried all of those shemes and due to the previously mentioned they failed. We throw quick passes, they worked against slower teams but not the fast ones. We roll the QB, but that just makes that side of the field easier to defend, we've run wide but again fast teams can cover wide runs, when you're only below average in speed like AU, and we've run the counter many times, but the pulling lineman is so slow the following dL is in the backfield at the point of handoff. Let's face it defenses play using a set of rules and reading the alignment. They could care less about the actual play. They care about their reads and postioning and hope they have enough speed to recover from mis-steps. Fooling modern day defenses is not something that works, except on rare occassions. Being quicker, faster and stronger with and adequeate game plan wins games.

Okay.  There was no way we could compete.  Still, look at Georgia's last two games.  Those teams weren't bigger and faster than we are and, they were competitive.

• Thanks 1

Well I’ve lived long enough to have my own Barfield I guess. This has been an impressive crash and burn hire- a total failure in every aspect. How anyone can remotely defend this guy is part of the problem around here. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

52 minutes ago, creed said:

Isn't the objective of a scheme,,, to fool them, get them out of position? 

Maybe we don't need games.  We could just run 40 and 100 yard dashes and, have a bench press competition.

4 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Let’s just skip to the end…

“We called the right plays. Our guys just didn’t execute. Blah blah blah.”

Sounds identical to our last head coach. It was never his terrible playcalling that was the problem, just the player's not executing the plays. After 8 years of hearing it, it could be recited in my sleep. Now Harsin is using that excuse too.