Recruiting & coaching

TigerHorn

Watching Aggie's 5* freshmen making plays tonight, and bammer's ridiculous depth at every position, there's no arguing that it matters. AU guys in similar situations, pass a little high or too hot, our WRs don't make the play, our DBs don't breakup a pass or pounce on a fumble, our backs, TEs and OL miss the block or don't hold it long enough (see today's fake punt failure, all it needed was 1 second of blocking). 

I have to say, watching the play calls, Schmedding and Kiesau are making calls that put us in a position to have a shot. We just don't have the Jimmies & Joes to execute. That's on Harsin. You can argue that our 2nd half results tell a different story, but I think it is more teams figuring out how to better exploit our weaknesses. 

Edited by TigerHorn
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think the D line is good enough with the starters but the depth is not good enough to stay on the field the whole game and be successful against a good team.  If the offense could at least string together a few first downs instead of three and out, three and out, three and out and then turnover after turnover the defense would be OK.  When the offense is a big bunch of nothing you can’t expect the defense to keep holding up.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I didn’t notice until today, but not only are our best players like Hall and Wooden playing almost every snap but they’re on special teams too. Feel bad for them. Most high schools manage personnel better. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tigger1985 said:

Our linebackers can’t cover any passes and Kirby figured it out finally.  Oline can’t block 

It's okay, they can't find the right gap, defeat a block, or make a solo tackle to save their lives either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Tigger1985 said:

Our linebackers can’t cover any passes and Kirby figured it out finally.  Oline can’t block 

The San Jose State coach figured it out. It’s hard to hide the ineptitude 

58 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

This started with really poor roster management by Gus. Then Harsin carried the torch . Skill players are everywhere, but o line and D line are where it matters. AU has next to nobody. It’s sucks 

What has happened is on Harsin and Harsin alone.  In the Spring of 2020, Auburn signed the #7 recruiting class in the country.  We also signed transfer OL players, in addition to Tate Johnson and two other linemen.  OL recruiting was an issue, but it didn't prevent the prior staff from developing game plans that kept us competitive.

We finished the 2019 season ranked #12 and beat #5 bama in the final regular season game.  From there to where we are now is a the feet of this staff, not the prior.  I am sick of coddling the bs that revises history to fit their narrative.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 3
  • Dislike 1

44 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

What has happened is on Harsin and Harsin alone.  In the Spring of 2020, Auburn signed the #7 recruiting class in the country.  We also signed transfer OL players, in addition to Tate Johnson and two other linemen.  OL recruiting was an issue, but it didn't prevent the prior staff from developing game plans that kept us competitive.

We finished the 2019 season ranked #12 and beat #5 bama in the final regular season game.  From there to where we are now is a the feet of this staff, not the prior.  I am sick of coddling the bs that revises history to fit their narrative.

We went 6-5 in the fall of 2020.  Bryan Harsin and his staff were still in Boise.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

Scheme doesn't cover up the fact that we have a veteran O-line that has gotten worse every game. Or why our starting WRs outside of an occasional pass to Ja'varrious Johnson have gone MIA. Or why Pappoe and Shenker have regressed.

I push back on the Jimmy's and Joe's argument because we're still playing mostly players recruited by Gus- players we beat Georgia, Alabama and Florida out for. Depth is an issue for sure, but we still have enough talent in this roster not to get embarrassed on the regular that we have for the last month.

The entire potato bunch are simply not used to this level of competition and have shown no proof of concept

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Scheme doesn't cover up the fact that we have a veteran O-line that has gotten worse every game. Or why our starting WRs outside of an occasional pass to Ja'varrious Johnson have gone MIA. Or why Pappoe and Shenker have regressed.

I push back on the Jimmy's and Joe's argument because we're still playing mostly players recruited by Gus- players we beat Georgia, Alabama and Florida out for. Depth is an issue for sure, but we still have enough talent in this roster not to get embarrassed on the regular that we have for the last month.

The entire potato bunch are simply not used to this level of competition and have shown no proof of concept

image-asset.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

We agree that the coaching, schemes, and development or lack thereof is appalling. But I can count on one hand the number of players we have that we legitimately beat Bama and Georgia on the past few seasons. Even under Gus we end up with decently rated players after UAT, UGA, Clemson and others have filled up with who they wanted. Thus only 1 NFL draft pick last year. 3 draft picks is likely our ceiling this year. Bama, UGA, and LSU are churning NFL talent, and A&M had 4 or 5 freshman 5 stars playing last night.  The talent divide is real and we better hire a coach who can fix it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I’m sure you know roster management is about the right players and the right amount of players. AU has not recruited correctly for years and it started with Malzahn. You know it and I know it. Harsin is doing the same thing. He can’t manage this team from a people stand point. no matter who’s team this is now. AU has not been truly competitive for a long time due to people. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Bless your heart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s all about players and players making plays.   Harsin has failed in coming in and evaluating what the roster was deficient in and solving that problem.   He has failed in coming in and making an impact on the recruiting circuit.    
But make no mistake about what wins/loses games, it’s the players.   There is no coach in the universe that teaches lineman to not block the guy the guy that’s directly in front of them.   

There are some on here that will say, well you have to scheme and game plan around that, that simply can’t be done with subpar talent.   This Auburn team will play decent for a few plays or a quarter or two, but during the course of an entire game their true identity will show up.   They are just not that good, players and coaches.   

9 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

It’s all about players and players making plays.   Harsin has failed in coming in and evaluating what the roster was deficient in and solving that problem.   He has failed in coming in and making an impact on the recruiting circuit.    
But make no mistake about what wins/loses games, it’s the players.   There is no coach in the universe that teaches lineman to not block the guy the guy that’s directly in front of them.   

There are some on here that will say, well you have to scheme and game plan around that, that simply can’t be done with subpar talent.   This Auburn team will play decent for a few plays or a quarter or two, but during the course of an entire game their true identity will show up.   They are just not that good, players and coaches.   

The talent isn’t that good but you can definitely help yourselves by not having the most fumbles and penalties in the nation. It’s especially embarrassing because this team discussed “discipline” all summer just for the team to be the most undisciplined team we probably ever seen 

Edited by Sizzle
  • Like 2

Just now, Sizzle said:

The talent isn’t that good but you can definitely help yourselves by not having the most fumbles and penalties in the nation 

And who is committing the fumbles and penalties?  I’ll hang up and listen.  

9 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

We went 6-5 in the fall of 2020.  Bryan Harsin and his staff were still in Boise.

Indeed they were. And after the Boise Boys got here, we went 6-7 in 2021 and are headed for even worse this year.

1 hour ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I’m sure you know roster management is about the right players and the right amount of players. AU has not recruited correctly for years and it started with Malzahn. You know it and I know it. Harsin is doing the same thing. He can’t manage this team from a people stand point. no matter who’s team this is now. AU has not been truly competitive for a long time due to people. 

Those 20 players that Harsin lost through the portal have a great deal to do with depth and roster management, or I should say lack of roster management.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Indeed they were. And after the Boise Boys got here, we went 6-7 in 2021 and are headed for even worse this year.

Those 20 players that Harsin lost through the portal have a great deal to do with depth and roster management, or I should say lack of roster management.

I agree.  And the recruits that Harsin has lost out in.  My hubby was talking to the father of a star recruit from our hometown who wanted to go to Auburn really badly.  He had an offer, LOVED the position coach, but said that Harsin gave him the creeps.  Don’t know why.  But I wonder if he has done that to other kids who were thinking about choosing Auburn.  🤔

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

The players, and who’s coaching the players? Other players?

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Undisciplined players under a coach who preaches discipline. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

The players, and who’s coaching the players? Other players?

Again….every fumble, penalty, wrong route, missed block, bad tackle so on so forth, can’t be the coaches fault.    Are you actually saying that players are not responsible for anything?   It sure sounds like you and others have this idea that players can’t make mistakes and that if they do it’s the coaches fault because they should coach better.   That is fantasy world football.   

I get that people want to see a coaching change and I would too.  I want the change because I think that is what is needed to bring everyone (boosters, fans, potential players and former players) together.   I hope that if he is fired that the one’s doing the hiring will find that person.   

But to think that during the play of a game that a player doesn’t deserve fault or blame for something not working is just plain dumb.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Yes, due to Covid, we played an SEC only shortened schedule.  You cannot deny that, had we played the 3 cupcakes that we and every other SEC team plays every year, that would have been a 9 win season.

Also undeniable, is the fact that Harsin won those 3 cupcakes in 2021 and still had a losing season/.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Yes, due to Covid, we played an SEC only shortened schedule.  You cannot deny that, had we played the 3 cupcakes that we and every other SEC team plays every year, that would have been a 9 win season.

Also undeniable, is the fact that Harsin won those 3 cupcakes in 2021 and still had a losing season/.

Hanging any hat on cupcake wins is a really, really bad argument.  Only thing that matters is what you do against Power 5 teams.