Why I may not watch another Auburn FB game this year

AURex

I graduated from Auburn and am proud of my degree. I have been a die-hard Auburn supporter (and donor) for almost 40 years.

Never have I felt this emotionally devastated by my Tigers. I love the players. I know they do not want to lose. But the fierce fight is just not there, and the coaching leadership is just not there.

I wanted to support the Harsin hire. But he lost my support early on with his nasty attitude shiiiite, and then I was not surprised when players began abandoning him.

I've got nothing left in the tank emotionally. I can't bear to watch any more of this. I am so miserable about this; I weep for our players and our Auburn family.

I look forward to the day when I can once again enjoy watching our Tigers on the field.

In the meanwhile, I'm joyously watching Auburn basketball, baseball, gymnastics, equestrian, etc. WDE!

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

46 minutes ago, AURex said:

I graduated from Auburn and am proud of my degree. I have been a die-hard Auburn supporter (and donor) for almost 40 years.

Never have I felt this emotionally devastated by my Tigers. I love the players. I know they do not want to lose. But the fierce fight is just not there, and the coaching leadership is just not there.

I wanted to support the Harsin hire. But he lost my support early on with his nasty attitude shiiiite, and then I was not surprised when players began abandoning him.

I've got nothing left in the tank emotionally. I can't bear to watch any more of this. I am so miserable about this; I weep for our players and our Auburn family.

I look forward to the day when I can once again enjoy watching our Tigers on the field.

In the meanwhile, I'm joyously watching Auburn basketball, baseball, gymnastics, equestrian, etc. WDE!

It's not quite as serious as all that to me, but I do feel bad for the players. 

The reason I skipped the last game is because I haven't enjoyed watching AU football at all this year. Saturday's are precious, time with my kids is precious. Sure, I can take a few hours to focus on the game if it's fun for me. When it's miserable, I can find something better to do. 

This would change for me if Harsin was fired. I'd be excited to pull for an interim like Caddy or Etheridge, even if we lose. They would give it their all in a difficult situation that they didn't create. That would be far more interesting to me.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Meh, as a life long Cubs fan I've been groomed to losing. To me it's not that serious. If they win awesome, if they don't my life isn't affected. If I'm not preoccupied I'll always watch them.

• Like 5

A little over reaction for me.  I will still watch the games if I’m able to and hope that they win.   My expectations aren’t very high that they will, so in a sort of twisted kind of way, it’s less stressful to watch.   Doesn’t make me satisfied with how the season is going, but there is nothing I can do about it.   

• Like 1
  • Love 1

according to Nielsen, AU football still has has good viewership by the same demographic that subscribes to the nature channel and cheers for the Cape buffalo to escape

image.png.2bbb3c0c2f5c75b51cb080dc68b859e8.png

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, AUx said:

according to Nielsen, AU football still has has good viewership by the same demographic that subscribes to the nature channel and cheers for the Cape buffalo to escape

image.png.2bbb3c0c2f5c75b51cb080dc68b859e8.png

That one escape in 100 is so satisfying, it balances out the other 99.  I think I'll be watching more water buffalo drama than the Tigers this season.  At least until we hire Lashley or Freeze.  Then, I'm cancelling cable altogether and going to find new uses for my autumn Saturdays.  

• Haha 1

I'm a sunshine pumper and I'll admit it.   I was one of the ones that thought we would win 10 games this year.   I was thinking every time they count us out Auburn always bands together and pulls it out.   Then Harsin came and ripped my heart out from my chest.   Two games this year I have turned off in the 3rd quarter.   If the sunshine pumpers are turning the games off what is the average fan doing???    The amount of empty seats in the 2nd half will start showing up.   

• Like 1

Dude it’s sports entertainment nothing more than that. The way some emotionally attach themselves is weird to me. You gotta roll with the support even in the bad times. It will be alright, We made it through a winless SEC season many years ago. Pull your self together pour yourself a stiff drink and watch the game Saturday morning. Hang in there it will be ok. Trust me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I will always support the players.  They are the ones out there on the field trying to win even if they aren’t good at it or their position (looking at you OL).  I think being a mom of a HS football player (his senior year) who is on a team who is on their 4th head coach in 4 years (3 who were interim including this years coach).  I feel for my son and his teammates because it’s not their fault they are in this situation.  So as much as I want Harsin gone (I too was a supporter of his until a few weeks ago), I will still watch and cheer our boys on.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AURex said:

I hear ya!  Felt the same way during the embarassing Malzahn years while watching all the chronic azz whuppings from our major rivals & practically all bowl games.  It most definitely is hard  to watch & easier to look away.  AU will rebuild ... eventually.  Hang in there.  WDE

I watch in hope every Saturday, but I totally commiserate about time invested and feeling like I’m wasting time that could be spent doing things that are far more important. I love Auburn, our teams, and our players, but there comes a point when watching the product on the field is simply a waste of time and energy. Right now, it’s just not worth the time sink to lose four hours on a Saturday watching a poorly run team. It’s like going to a restaurant and being served the jankiest version of a meal that you ordered.

Harsin is making over $5 million a year, and he’s not really done anything to justify that pay. The product he’s fielding doesn’t even belong in the conference. It’s embarrassing. 

Edited by Auburn Tiger

12 hours ago, AURex said:

But it’s a train wreck.  You know how it’s gonna end but you’ve gotta watch it anyway! 😂

14 hours ago, AURex said:

Step away from the ledge; win or lose it’s just a game. Unless you have a kid on the team, no one should be that emotionally invested in the outcome. 

• Like 2

ESPN and Paul Finebaum don't want you to realize this but these games, as are all sports, are 100% for entertainment purposes.  Nothing that happens at these games have any bearing on real life unless you are a player or coach that could potentially make life changing money.  I just think that needs to reiterated from time to time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, AURex said:

i completely understand. i said i would not watch us play ga but i did. it is tough!

4 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

I will not stop pulling for Auburn and this team. To each his own but if you truly are for this team, you will continue watching. 

No, simply ‘watching games’ is for fair weather fans. If you truly, truly support this team you’ll attend every game in person, including away games.

• Dislike 1

My family has paid dang good money to watch the Tigers underperform, so dang it, we’ll be there! Honestly, I still love just being in town and tailgating with friends.  At least, back when we had Gus, it felt like there was always a chance of a miracle win.  Don’t get that feeling at all with Harsin.  But I will support our boys, always.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I will always watch. It's been sadly comical this year. You can absolutely predict when we about to shoot ourselves in the foot. We seemingly get worse every snap. You got to laugh to keep from crying. It's not 2012 bad but it's close.

I just hit record. I'll come back and watch later if it's worth it. Don't want to invest 3 plus hours on pure pain. I don't expect to watch any more games this year, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if there is a W in there against our SEC west rivals. We blew our big chance which was against LSU.