For those that doubt Prime Time

Potatooooooes!!

31 minutes ago, woodford said:

None. It's a boomer show. Who cares about 60 Minutes?

Ouch...I remember being young and thinking 60min was an old person's show...welp I'm old and watch it when they have something decent on...but again I'm old... :)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Medical history is part of the qualification for any high intensity, high profile job in any industry. If you'd ever had one, you'd know that. CEOs lose out because of medical hiccups, I've seen it firsthand. Just like age is a reason, so is significant medical history. 

Yeah just like policemen and you see how in shape they stay. Did the CEO's of Auburn go thru them?

7 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Busy morning on this thread. Activity (and arguing😋) is increasing…

As people allow themselves to consider the sheer upside of Deion. And that there’s e chance that AU gets past its destructive muscle memory, avoiding the yawners  or creepy options, and actually will go this big.  

I think the momentum for Deion  begins to accelerate from here.

I hope so. Wonder if we could do a social media campaign like Stop the Steele but instead Pick Primetime.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

If that's the case, then that's their mistake to make. Doesn't mean we should make it. Like I said, PSU should have retired Paterno well before circumstances forced it. 

If AU gets a medical opinion that CDS is continuing his recovery with no prospect of long term things getting worse, then I'm fine, but based on my wife's 25 years in the medical realm, things like what he went through don't get better. They just get worse. 

I agree completely.  I was shocked to hear how bad his condition had deteriorated.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

It is my understanding that he presented a set of very onerous contract conditions related to the potential of NCAA probation stemming from Cam and other issues, and he also insisted on full disclosure of all NCAA data to him while he was still at bammer with no obligation to leave or even to maintain much in the way of secrecy. It was his way to saying yes when he meant no, and he wanted to see if recruiting advantages could be had as well. It's been a long time, and I may be wrong in some details, but the bottom line was that he gave us a "yes" that he knew we couldn't accept.

The whole "We coulda had Kirby" think is a myth propagated by bammers and dawgs that many AU people have come to believe. 

I gotcha. Definitely interesting. Thanks.

1 hour ago, TigerHorn said:

Medical history is part of the qualification for any high intensity, high profile job in any industry. If you'd ever had one, you'd know that. CEOs lose out because of medical hiccups, I've seen it firsthand. Just like age is a reason, so is significant medical history. 

I'm confused you want us to pass on Prime because of his medical issues? Are you his doctor? If not then if his doctor and our docs say he is good to go I don't see the problem. If he has to retire in 3 to 4 years because of it again he will leave this program better off then when he got here. 

This is the same damn argument like what if he leaves us for FSU or whoever else. Good lord! 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yeah just like policemen and you see how in shape they stay. Did the CEO's of Auburn go thru them?

No, nothing like police whose standards have slipped greatly, and I guarantee you Roberts had a physical as a final stage in his interview process. 

25 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

I'm confused you want us to pass on Prime because of his medical issues? Are you his doctor? If not then if his doctor and our docs say he is good to go I don't see the problem. If he has to retire in 3 to 4 years because of it again he will leave this program better off then when he got here. 

This is the same damn argument like what if he leaves us for FSU or whoever else. Good lord! 

You're easily confused I see. Medical exam is part of the bargain for any C-level position, especially for anyone over 50. You won't ever hear about it because HIPAA is the law. Company boards abruptly replace CEOs all the time for health scares, real and imagined. I've had personal experience with it. 

1 hour ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I hope so. Wonder if we could do a social media campaign like Stop the Steele but instead Pick Primetime.

Lots of people, including me, tried that with Turner Gill back when he was a hot name at Buffalo or wherever it was. Thankfully, it didn't go well. 😐

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

You're easily confused I see. Medical exam is part of the bargain for any C-level position, especially for anyone over 50. You won't ever hear about it because HIPAA is the law. Company boards abruptly replace CEOs all the time for health scares, real and imagined. I've had personal experience with it. 

Apparently you didn't read my full statement, so I'll say it again. If his doctor and our docs or whoever give him the go ahead then there isn't a problem. 😉 

4 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Which is fine, but that was then, and that was Arkansas. If coaching and experience was the only hang up, he’s proven he can do that now. I understand being concerned initially about coaching experience. Nobody in their right mind would want someone with little to no experience, especially when that is all that most guys have going for them. But not only does he have that now, his pros far out weigh his cons at this point. The guy they ended up hiring had never been a head coach either. In fact, I imagine the only reason he got the job was he had previously coached at Arkansas too. Yet the same people that are crappin on Deion would be perfectly fine with Grimes. 

Jeff Grimes has 27 years of FBS coaching, 7 of those in the SEC, on his resume. Sanders has 2.5 years at a far lower division level. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:
If approached by a Power Five school, would Deion Sanders be receptive? “I’m going to have to entertain it. Straight up. I’d be a fool not to,” Sanders says, adding that his concern is for his assistants, who are underpaid by college football standards. https://cbsn.ws/3TsOjAY

My, what a benevolent rationalization. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Scribe Tiger said:

Jeff Grimes has 27 years of FBS coaching, 7 of those in the SEC, on his resume. 

And no head coaching experience. Deion does. What is your point exactly?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Lots of people, including me, tried that with Turner Gill back when he was a hot name at Buffalo or wherever it was. Thankfully, it didn't go well. 😐

You did? What was the slogan? I didn't see one.  Did you do one for Harsin as well?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Scribe Tiger said:

Jeff Grimes has 27 years of FBS coaching, 7 of those in the SEC, on his resume. Sanders has 2.5 years at a far lower division level. 

There’s no doubt Grimes has deeper deeper experience. But ultimately imo he’s a grinder. Like buying stock in Southern Company. The point of Deion is trajectory and ceiling. He’s a tech stock. Yes there’s risk. But  if he continues his ridiculous trending up and you buy stock in him now - in 4 years you have your own island. It’s all about timing.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Scribe Tiger said:

And Harsin has 22 years of coaching experience and 10 of those years as a head coach. I’m not sure I understand your point.

Edited by PigskinPat
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You did? What was the slogan? I didn't see one.  Did you do one for Harsin as well?

You were probably in kindergarten back in 2008. 😉 

It was on ITAT, someone even made files you could print on buttons. Lots of posters were using that file for their avatar. Many people, including me, emailed the administration. Barkley got behind it too. The Gill thing was just a grassroots effort that a lot of alumni got behind because he seemed like the right guy at the time - had built a program from ashes with improvement every year, seemed to have the character and ethic to fit AU. AU interviewed him, and then somehow picked Chizik instead. Didn't know or care about Harsin pre-hire.

In retrospect, everyone else has failed at Nebraska after Gill did, so maybe things might have been different if he came here. OTOH, would he have given us 2010? For all of Chiz's issues later, he did a magnificent job of handling the Cam situation. 

Edited by TigerHorn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I think we both can agree that nothing about gill has nothing to do and didn't be held against Sanders

I think you missed the post this was in response to. I agree that one has little to do with the other, aside from the discussion about creating a social media campaign. That's what I was responding to. 

• Like 1

There are very few coaches (in the grand scheme) in college football that you know if you hire them, you're much much better off. The likes of Saban, Smart, etc. If you hire Kirby Smart, you know that your team will be good. He will recruit and coach them up. But he can't coach them alone... he hires great coaches around him. That is the key.. you must recruit and have quality coaches all around you. If you put Auburn's coaching staff in place of Georgia's (but leave Kirby as the head coach).. you have a major downgrade IMO. And if you put Georgia's staff with Harsin at Auburn, you have a major upgrade.

Whether we hired Deion, Hugh Freeze, Kevin Steele, you name it.... It is still required that the other position coaches and coordinators be quality coaches. Deion can't do it alone. 

The questions I would ask myself are these:

1. Will he represent the team in a positive way.
2. Is he capable of hiring great coaches around him? Or would they rather not work for the guy.
3. Can he recruit? 

If you hire a person who other coaches would love to coach for... and you hire a guy who can bring positive energy to the team and recruit.. You've won most the battle in my crap opinion.

Because now.. you have a guy that other great coaches would love to work along side.. and you have a guy who can bring in quality athletes. 

But my opinion means nothing.. just like the rest of yall. lol

• Like 2
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Ryan Sanders said:

But he can't coach them alone... he hires great coaches around him. That is the key.. you must recruit and have quality coaches all around you. you have a guy that other great coaches would love to work along side

Exactly what I’ve been saying. It’s the old adage…build it and they will come. 

Prime has the clout to attract and hire nearly anyone he wants.

AU tried it with a HC with zero clout…a guy no one knew. Some of us illustrated this fact early on. Many refuted it without substance and/or refused to accept it as fact.

It’s now prime time to hire a HC everyone knows.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, Taker said:

I mean considering our rivals and anyone else in CFB coaching experiencing success in today's climate just look at the coaches that those programs went out and got... PROVEN WINNERS (sarcasm) 

GA- Smart no HC experience

CLEM- Sweeny no HC experience 

OSU- Day no HC Experience 

OU/USC- Riley no HC experience 

Even UTK- Heuple only exp was a G5 school for 2 seasons 

Moral of the story, Make a hire that will put your institution in the best position to succeed. Prime is a proven WINNER from every aspect of his life (College, Pros, coaching, recruiting, planning, Etc) 

I think at this time if we had the opportunity to get a sniff at hiring prime we would be foolish not to pursue it over the other candidates that are out there

I wouldn’t hate Prime as coach but this is misleading. All those guys had serious Power 5 experience. At the very least, they had FBS experience. Deion does not.

• Like 2

I heard on Cover 3 where Deion said he would "be a fool not to entertain an offer from a P5 job."

I appreciate his honesty because he was just to up and bolt from an HBCU after all that talk about how much he wants it to grow and how they should be invested in, yadda yadda he would look like a total fraud imo

While I respect the honesty, I still don't know what to make of Deion. On one hand it's all HBCU and the other he would be bolting for the first P5 job to offer him. It makes it seem like the former is all talk (which I think it is fwiw). It's so hard to separate the real Deion from the character he plays on TV.

Edited by woodford
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Scribe Tiger said:

See, I don’t understand this logical fallacy. Just because someone has a lot of experience doesn’t mean it’s good experience. Also, it’s a huge red flag to me that someone has that much experience at that age and has never been a head coach. I think it’s actually more impressive what Deion has done in less than 3 years at JSU where they had no winning seasons in the 8 years before he came along than what Grimes has done. It wasn’t like Grimes took over a terrible BYU offense or Baylor offense. It wasn’t like he went to Florida International and made them the number one offense in the nation. People tend to over analyze things when it’s not that complicated to be objective…

• Like 1