Question About Freeze

Potatooooooes!!

I was pretty on board with Freeze until the whole text-the-victim thing was brought up. It was rightfully discussed how something like that could be even more trouble for a university. However, Liberty just gave him a nice little extension. I don’t see how a university would have done that unless they looked into that. So, I guess my question is…what gives?

My thinking is that they’ve seen the speculation that Freeze might be tapped for the AU job and since Freeze is the highest caliber of coach that they ever will get at Liberty, they decided to make it harder for him to leave.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I was pretty on board with Freeze until the whole text-the-victim thing was brought up. It was rightfully discussed how something like that could be even more trouble for a university. However, Liberty just gave him a nice little extension. I don’t see how a university would have done that unless they looked into that. So, I guess my question is…what gives?

What gives is he is a winner and that texting thing is not enough to offset the winning ways from a legal standpoint. In fact , I didn't know anything about it till it was talked about in here.

• Like 3

Just now, DAG said:

What gives is he is a winner and that texting thing is not enough to offset the winning ways from a legal standpoint. In fact , I didn't know anything about it till it was talked about in here.

Same. But to me, logically, if it were a serious ethical issue (which is the angle I and most others are looking at this from)  like some have made it out be be, Liberty wouldn’t have extended him, especially given the situation they currently find themselves in. So I just don’t know what to think about it I guess. 

• Like 2

I’ll say this again. Do you realize how easy it would be to recruit against him? As well as it would be constant negative press for Auburn because of what he has done and continues to do. He is at the perfect university who’s president was part of the Baylor coverup scandal. That’s why they are perfect for each other. I don’t think people are using any common sense how difficult it would be to get any good players with him as a coach here. Also, his on the field product is pedestrian. He lost to freaking Memphis the 1 year he won 10 games at Old Miss. He’s literally Gus Malzahn without championships. Oh and he was 1-3 against Gus by the way. But yea, he’s the coach that us can’t miss, give me a break…

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Facepalm 4
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, 3rdgeneration said:

My thinking is that they’ve seen the speculation that Freeze might be tapped for the AU job and since Freeze is the highest caliber of coach that they ever will get at Liberty, they decided to make it harder for him to leave.  🤷‍♀️

More specifically, wealthier for Liberty if he’s bought out. 

8 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

I’ll say this again. Do you realize how easy it would be to recruit against him? As well as it would be constant negative press for Auburn because of what he has done and continues to do. He is at the perfect university who’s president was part of the Baylor coverup scandal. That’s why they are perfect for each other. I don’t think people are using any common sense how difficult it would be to get any good players with him as a coach here. Also, his on the field product is pedestrian. He lost to freaking Memphis the 1 year he won 10 games at Old Miss. He’s literally Gus Malzahn without championships. Oh and he was 1-3 against Gus by the way. But yea, he’s the coach that us can’t miss, give me a break…

tenor.gif

• Like 3

I continue to be amazed in our fascination with freeze. Damn any reason - he beat bama twice (regardless of how he got the players and how far back it was). No other school has even considered him over the years. The ultimate bad girl fixation.

if somehow Liberty beats Arky, this forum will be adventure. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I continue to be amazed in our fascination with freeze. Damn any reason - he beat bama twice (regardless of how he got the players and how far back it was). No other school has even considered him over the years. The ultimate bad girl fixation.

if somehow Liberty beats Arky, this forum will be adventure. 

You answered the question why they like him. He beat UAT twice. That literally is the only reason why they want him because there’s literally nothing else why anyone would want him. It’s the little brother syndrome many Auburn fans have. He beat UAT, it’s all that matters. Yet, let’s ignore all of the many awful losses he had while there even with his great recruits they paid for…

• Like 2
  • Love 2

55 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I think I saw something where that texted was debunked somehow. Don't remember the specifics

2 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I don't know if you keep up with news the last few years, but Liberty  isn't a 'typical' University and doesn't have a great track record with it's leadership or culture. 

IMO, only being hirable by LibertyU makes your character more questionable not less 

I think we can get a coach just as good or better than Freeze without diving into his whole mess. BUT if we do target him we better do an amazing investigation into his personal life and have a huge 'moral' clause in his contract. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I don't know if you keep up with news the last few years, but Liberty  isn't a 'typical' University and doesn't have a great track record with it's leadership or culture. 

IMO, only being hirable by LibertyU makes your character more questionable not less 

Yeah, I don’t know anything about Liberty to be honest

Freeze is not such a transcendental coaching talent that one can just ignore his egregious past (and fairly recent) mistakes.

What about his well-documented history of issues would remotely suggest that things would be different with him at Auburn?

Screenshot_20221013-222953-302.png

Screenshot_20221013-223102-161.png

Screenshot_20221014-044932.png

Screenshot_20221014-044644-399.png

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Freeze is not such a transcendental coaching talent that one can just ignore his egregious past (and fairly recent) mistakes.

What about his well-documented history of issues would remotely suggest that things would be different with him at Auburn?

Screenshot_20221013-222953-302.png

Screenshot_20221013-223102-161.png

Screenshot_20221014-044932.png

Screenshot_20221014-044644-399.png

Now don’t go bringing facts into this conversation, the Freeze fan boys will become really angry and facepalm you and say how he beat UAT twice, which means he can win national titles at Auburn…

1 hour ago, Auburnguy101 said:

You answered the question why they like him. He beat UAT twice. That literally is the only reason why they want him because there’s literally nothing else why anyone would want him. It’s the little brother syndrome many Auburn fans have. He beat UAT, it’s all that matters. Yet, let’s ignore all of the many awful losses he had while there even with his great recruits they paid for…

People like him because he took a piss-poor Ole Miss program and turned them into a not just respectable but quality opponent that could actually beat anyone on any given Saturday…which is what we want

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

People like him because he took a piss-poor Ole Miss program and turned them into a not just respectable but quality opponent that could actually beat anyone on any given Saturday…which is what we want

So the goal is to be respectable but you hire Freeze? Gotcha…Also, you guys make it out like he took over a program that hadn’t won anything in years. Nutt had those two bad years but before had 9 wins back to back. Freeze comes and cheats like no other and the best he does is get 10 wins where he lost to an average Arkansas team, gets blown out at UF and loses to freaking Memphis. I mean, come on now, he couldn’t even win anything even with all of the cheating he did. Also, you guys who love him have yet to answer my question. How do you really believe he will recruit at Auburn with all of that negative press he will endure? He doesn’t have any advantage that he did while at Ole Miss. You really think a recruit would pick him over Smart and Saban? That’s hilarious. And I like how you guys also gloss over how  so many of his losses were to teams who were less talented than his. And finally, I’ll say it again, he was 1-3 AGAINST GUS. Geesh, you guys make it out like he has won multiple championships and that every big time program in the nation would want him. He has two good seasons at Ole Miss while doing despicable things and beats UAT twice and you guys believe he’s the next Saban. Hilarious and sad at the same time…

Edited by Auburnguy101
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Now don’t go bringing facts into this conversation, the Freeze fan boys will become really angry and facepalm you and say how he beat UAT twice, which means he can win national titles at Auburn…

What facts? He just brought up a bunch of different screenshots that talk about literally two incidents that everyone already knows about.

Everyone knows what happened at Ole Miss. That was ~7 years ago, dawg. It was bad, but the part you completely ignore is that Hugh Freeze is extremely good at talking and selling himself. He is preacher-level good. So when you say it's going to be easy to negatively recruit against him, you ignore the fact that he has a say in the entire situation too and he can go into living rooms himself and shake and jive as good as anyone. Do you understand that he already has players from P5 teams transferring in to play for him at Liberty? Multiple players from Auburn and other SEC schools; he has a QB from Tennessee (Kaidon Salter), a QB from Utah who also started multiple years at Baylor (Charlie Brewer), etc, etc. So he has already proven and continues to prove that he can recruit past the "negative attention". If you were right, he wouldn't be able to do what he's already doing at Liberty. But you're wrong, that's the point. Hugh Freeze is an elite level recruiter and salesman. Guys like that can change peoples minds real quick, and that's what you don't appreciate.

Brian Kelly literally made a decision that led to a kid DYING during practice years ago and that man is currently recruiting and recruiting well at LSU. By the way, Deion Sanders allegedly choked his ex-wife and he's admitted to choking another man (D.L. Wallace) during his "Prime Prep" days. Do you notice that no recruit in the country seems to give a s*** about that? It doesn't sound nice, but most elite level recruits and their families aren't looking for the most Mr. Rogers-esque coach to play under. They want to win, they want to develop, they want to get paid, and they want to go to the NFL. 

People like you don't look through the eyes of an elite potentially impoverished inner-city football recruit, you attach your own values and beliefs and pretend they're universal. Oh no he DM'd someone suing who is Liberty! The horror! Do you understand that this is entirely a Twitter issue and has no football implications at all? I can guarantee you any amount of money that that "situation" means next to nothing in a recruit's living room. Literally none. That entire story went nowhere by the way because he didn't follow up with anything, and if you actually read the message he sent, he didn't even say or imply anything incriminating to the woman. So what you really have is an event that took place at Ole Miss ~7 years ago, and a non-story that took place this past year at Liberty.

I'm not claiming that this is a good man or that he isn't a risk to do something dumb, but I'm also not stupid enough to look past the fact that he is an elite level football coach and possesses all of the qualities that will work big-time at Auburn. He is a GREAT recruiter. He is GREAT with boosters and schmoozing with money men (hellooo...NIL?). On the field he keeps winning and he's doing it by taking crap jobs that are performing poorly and turning them around almost immediately. His football resume speaks for itself, but alas most AU fans wouldn't know a good coach if he smacked them upside the head. He is currently 7-1 at Liberty with a 1-point loss against a Top 15 Wake Forest team...while playing 3rd and 4th string QB's for basically the entire season lmao.

Also, he didn't JUST "beat Bama". He has beaten LSU - multiple times. Beat Auburn. Beat A&M - multiple times. He beat Kirby Smart at Georgia. He beat Mack Brown at Texas. He did this all at OLE MISS - a school that had won 6 games combined in the previous two years to him taking the job. He is 5-2 in Bowl Games. He beat Dan Mullen multiple times in the Egg Bowl. He has won SEC games on the road against bigger programs than his own.

And here's the kicker: he did that all without a Cam Newton or a Johnny Manziel. Who was his QB at Ole Miss? Bo Wallace? He came a hair away from beating three straight seasons. Nobody does that, especially at Ole Miss. And before anyone says Malzahn and how he beat Saban: it is actually AUBURN That has this magic quality of always being able to challenge Bama. It has nothing to do with Malzahn. You literally saw that last season as the worst AU coach of all time - Bryan Harsin - almost beat Saban and Bama. In fact he should have beaten them. Malzahn beating Saban a few times while at Auburn is not even remotely comparable to what Hugh Freeze did at Ole Miss. 

I'm not suggesting that Hugh Freeze should be anyone's top target or that he has no risk or that he should be given this job, but anyone who can't see his elite coaching resume and skillset knows next to nothing about football - point blank. He would absolutely kill it here at Auburn and would win 10+ games a year. This program is 10x stronger than Ole Miss, it's not even close.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, metafour said:

What facts? He just brought up a bunch of different screenshots that talk about literally two incidents that everyone already knows about.

Everyone knows what happened at Ole Miss. That was ~7 years ago, dawg. It was bad, but the part you completely ignore is that Hugh Freeze is extremely good at talking and selling himself. He is preacher-level good. So when you say it's going to be easy to negatively recruit against him, you ignore the fact that he has a say in the entire situation too and he can go into living rooms himself and shake and jive as good as anyone. Do you understand that he already has players from P5 teams transferring in to play for him at Liberty? Multiple players from Auburn and other SEC schools; he has a QB from Tennessee (Kaidon Salter), a QB from Utah who also started multiple years at Baylor (Charlie Brewer), etc, etc. So he has already proven and continues to prove that he can recruit past the "negative attention". If you were right, he wouldn't be able to do what he's already doing at Liberty. But you're wrong, that's the point. Hugh Freeze is an elite level recruiter and salesman. Guys like that can change peoples minds real quick, and that's what you don't appreciate.

Brian Kelly literally made a decision that led to a kid DYING during practice years ago and that man is currently recruiting and recruiting well at LSU. By the way, Deion Sanders allegedly choked his ex-wife and he's admitted to choking another man (D.L. Wallace) during his "Prime Prep" days. Do you notice that no recruit in the country seems to give a s*** about that? It doesn't sound nice, but most elite level recruits and their families aren't looking for the most Mr. Rogers-esque coach to play under. They want to win, they want to develop, they want to get paid, and they want to go to the NFL. 

People like you don't look through the eyes of an elite potentially impoverished inner-city football recruit, you attach your own values and beliefs and pretend they're universal. Oh no he DM'd someone suing who is Liberty! The horror! Do you understand that this is entirely a Twitter issue and has no football implications at all? I can guarantee you any amount of money that that "situation" means next to nothing in a recruit's living room. Literally none. That entire story went nowhere by the way because he didn't follow up with anything, and if you actually read the message he sent, he didn't even say or imply anything incriminating to the woman. So what you really have is an event that took place at Ole Miss ~7 years ago, and a non-story that took place this past year at Liberty.

I'm not claiming that this is a good man or that he isn't a risk to do something dumb, but I'm also not stupid enough to look past the fact that he is an elite level football coach and possesses all of the qualities that will work big-time at Auburn. He is a GREAT recruiter. He is GREAT with boosters and schmoozing with money men (hellooo...NIL?). On the field he keeps winning and he's doing it by taking crap jobs that are performing poorly and turning them around almost immediately. His football resume speaks for itself, but alas most AU fans wouldn't know a good coach if he smacked them upside the head. He is currently 7-1 at Liberty with a 1-point loss against a Top 15 Wake Forest team...while playing 3rd and 4th string QB's for basically the entire season lmao.

Also, he didn't JUST "beat Bama". He has beaten LSU - multiple times. Beat Auburn. Beat A&M - multiple times. He beat Kirby Smart at Georgia. He beat Mack Brown at Texas. He did this all at OLE MISS - a school that had won 6 games combined in the previous two years to him taking the job. He is 5-2 in Bowl Games. He beat Dan Mullen multiple times in the Egg Bowl. He has won SEC games on the road against bigger programs than his own.

And here's the kicker: he did that all without a Cam Newton or a Johnny Manziel. Who was his QB at Ole Miss? Bo Wallace? He came a hair away from beating three straight seasons. Nobody does that, especially at Ole Miss. And before anyone says Malzahn and how he beat Saban: it is actually AUBURN That has this magic quality of always being able to challenge Bama. It has nothing to do with Malzahn. You literally saw that last season as the worst AU coach of all time - Bryan Harsin - almost beat Saban and Bama. In fact he should have beaten them. Malzahn beating Saban a few times while at Auburn is not even remotely comparable to what Hugh Freeze did at Ole Miss. 

I'm not suggesting that Hugh Freeze should be anyone's top target or that he has no risk or that he should be given this job, but anyone who can't see his elite coaching resume and skillset knows next to nothing about football - point blank. He would absolutely kill it here at Auburn and would win 10+ games a year. This program is 10x stronger than Ole Miss, it's not even close.

All I see is a bunch of rambling. Yes, Deion has made mistakes in the past, however, on how he has changed in the past few years. Freeze continues to show poor judgement. I love that you honestly believe he would be able to recruit. You have no idea how hard it would be to get even a 4 star to commit to him. He’s at the perfect place for his crap. Also, I love how you call him elite but the guy hasn’t coached anywhere outside of a power 5 program in years. He went 8-5 in Malik’s last year. And before you start saying his record this year, Auburn would be 7-1 with that powder puff schedule. Excuse me that I’m not impressed with someone who is Gus 2.0 and has more baggage than Urban Meyer. At least I would be able to understand the fascination with him if he had the resume like Urban, but he literally is Gus without championships. So, root for him at Liberty, they need people like you. Have a good day…

8 minutes ago, metafour said:

Also, I have to laugh at this, because I love how you and others on here minimize Gus’ accomplishments but Hugh is the best thing since slice bread. Gus won because of Jordan Hare, gotcha. Hugh was given crumbs at Ole Miss, he had nothing but JV guys playing. This is so funny. Gus literally had a defensive back as his QB and beat Freeze twice with said QB. Oh, and he also beat Freeze with Sean White at QB, but yea, keep talking. I’m not even a Gus supporter but damn, you Freeze guys name all of his accomplishments and they still don’t add up to Gus. And again, just shows how naive and ignorant you are, how easy it would recruit against Auburn and nothing but bad PR in hiring him. Please just admit you like him because he beat UAT twice. That’s literally his claim to fame on the field in the SEC. He didn’t win anything else. Have a good day…

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

So the goal is to be respectable but you hire Freeze? Gotcha…Also, you guys make it out like he took over a program that hadn’t won anything in years. Nutt had those two bad years but before had 9 wins back to back. Freeze comes and cheats like no other and the best he does is get 10 wins where he lost to an average Arkansas team, gets blown out at UF and loses to freaking Memphis. I mean, come on now, he couldn’t even win anything even with all of the cheating he did. Also, you guys who love him have yet to answer my question. How do you really believe he will recruit at Auburn with all of that negative press he will endure? He doesn’t have any advantage that he did while at Ole Miss. You really think a recruit would pick him over Smart and Saban? That’s hilarious. And I like how you guys also gloss over how  so many of his losses were to teams who were less talented than his. And finally, I’ll say it again, he was 1-3 AGAINST GUS. Geesh, you guys make it out like he has won multiple championships and that every big time program in the nation would want him. He has two good seasons at Ole Miss while doing despicable things and bears UAT twice and you guys believe he’s the next Saban. Hilarious and sad at the same time…

It’s Ole Miss. literally no one cared about them before Freeze came along. You keep pointing out these losses. EVERY good coach has bad losses on their record. You are vastly underselling his wins and the seasons he had. Also, Auburn fans shouldn’t give a damn about the press at this point. He was clearly a good recruiter, which means he can handle a little negative recruiting. Also, he does have an advantage that he didn’t have at ole miss, and that’s Auburn itself. If you want to try and make an ethical case against him that’s one thing. Making a case against his coaching and recruiting ability is just foolish, especially with what you have provided.

• Like 3