Thoughts on Texas A&M game

Taker

11 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

Please explain how a true freshman, who is not mobile, would be a better option behind our horrible line play??? Inquiring minds want to know. 

I get the line is porous but having a wing t quarterback who can't pass ain't gonna beat anybody. at least the freshman has an arm.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

Idk what to expect.  Jimbo got his kahoneys in a vice, right now.  Caddy has our guys inspired and night game @ JHS.  May be fun!   Wish I could make it but have other family commitment earlier in the day Saturday 

WDE

13 hours ago, shabby said:

The delusion that the QB is the problem needs to be smashed. It's the offensive lie pure and simple. Putting Holden into a no win situation this early i his career would criminal. Barring injury, we have our qb for the rest of the season.

The QB is the problem. He cannot pass as a QB needs to pass. Put Ashford at slot receiver and he can get the ball in space and run the jet sweeps. That should be worked on over the off season.

Geriner wants to play and he's the best QB on campus. Let him play. We'll need him at QB sooner or later. He can play in all three remaining games and keep his redshirt. I strongly suspect he's mentally tougher than some seem to think.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

On 11/7/2022 at 3:54 PM, cbo said:

Harsin got $15 million to leave and, in turn, we got a decimated roster and half a coaching staff. 

It's not fair to expect too much from Caddy. He walked into a complete s*** show. 

But there's no doubt the team looked better under his leadership last game.

And the only team in the SEC West in worse shape than us is ... Texas A&M. Imagine being stuck with Jimbo's buyout and his results. 

So I'll predict we pull this one off at home. And I'll be fine if we don't, if we show the same fight we did against MS State. 

Jimbo definitely is not working out. I’m sure you’ve heard about the team flu by now and those suspended. They will probably all be back Saturday.

• WarTiger changed the title to Thoughts on Texas A&M game
7 hours ago, Mikey said:

The QB is the problem. He cannot pass as a QB needs to pass. Put Ashford at slot receiver and he can get the ball in space and run the jet sweeps. That should be worked on over the off season.

Geriner wants to play and he's the best QB on campus. Let him play. We'll need him at QB sooner or later. He can play in all three remaining games and keep his redshirt. I strongly suspect he's mentally tougher than some seem to think.

Milkey I like the way you think!

They have much more talent than we do.  Our OL gives any team we play a chance.  

We will have the home crowd.  
We will play with more energy and enthusiasm.  
Caddy >>> Jimbo

It will be tough, but I like our chances to find a way to win.   

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Bo Nix a possible Heisman contender at Oregon had terrible stats behind this line and now the line play is even worse. No Geriner will not he the answer. Yes it could create a lasting negative impact on his confidence. No he doesn't have the experience needed to adapt. No he doesn't have the running ability for an offense that will require a qb that is a running threat 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Thats the same approach Oregon used with him (RA).

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Thats the same approach Oregon used with him (RA).

There is a reason why Ashford didn't take a single snap in two years at Oregon. Look, I like the guy and appreciate what he's trying to do for Auburn but he's simply not a P5 QB. He doesn't have the passing skills.

1 hour ago, shabby said:

Bo Nix a possible Heisman contender at Oregon had terrible stats behind this line and now the line play is even worse. No Geriner will not he the answer. Yes it could create a lasting negative impact on his confidence. No he doesn't have the experience needed to adapt. No he doesn't have the running ability for an offense that will require a qb that is a running threat 

Bo Nix did not have terrible stats at AU. He's done much better at Oregon where he has better coaching and is a year older, but he was far from terrible at Auburn. In just 2&1/2 seasons he became AU's all time total offense leader. He holds the record for consecutive passes without an interception. When he set the current record, the old one he broke was set by....Bo Nix. He had untold key first down and touchdown runs. I'll take that every day.

As far as the O-line goes, that appeared to be a little better the second half last Saturday. Maybe they'll improve again this week. In any case, Geriner will be playing behind them (with possible additions) sooner or later. I vote for sooner.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There is a reason why Ashford didn't take a single snap in two years at Oregon. Look, I like the guy and appreciate what he's trying to do for Auburn but he's simply not a P5 QB. He doesn't have the passing skills.

Bo Nix did not have terrible stats at AU. He's done much better at Oregon where he has better coaching and is a year older, but he was far from terrible at Auburn. In just 2&1/2 seasons he became AU's all time total offense leader. He holds the record for consecutive passes without an interception. When he set the current record, the old one he broke was set by....Bo Nix. He had untold key first down and touchdown runs. I'll take that every day.

As far as the O-line goes, that appeared to be a little better the second half last Saturday. Maybe they'll improve again this week. In any case, Geriner will be playing behind them (with possible additions) sooner or later. I vote for sooner.

I agree with this post. I am not sure if RA can improve his passing enough to be a P5 QB. I think the main trouble is he is more comfortable throwing while running (what he is used to), which we all know is extremely difficult to do accurately. Only a few do it well. I also don’t think he has a great deal of arm-strength, which running helps with that. More coaching should help, but must work on what he sees. Attention to detail is required from that position abd he just plays organically.

On 11/6/2022 at 8:13 PM, autigeremt said:

Better offensive execution out of the gate. Continued adjustments and a team playing fast and hitting hard. I think we gave a good shot at winning this one. 

Yep, attrition is hurting us though.    We are heading up slightly and TAM has hit rock bottom and started digging.   They are a worse dumpster fire then we ever hoped on being.   I would love to put a nail in Jimbo's coffin and repay him for that national championship game.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 9:31 AM, maryland tiger said:

Please explain how a true freshman, who is not mobile, would be a better option behind our horrible line play??? Inquiring minds want to know. 

Pat Dye use to say that it should be against the law to play a freshman QB in the SEC.   Times have changed, but our OL has not.   Robbie has the best chance to run for his life.

• Like 2

On 11/6/2022 at 9:25 PM, AU-24 said:

We will have effort, energy and enthusiasm! A&M has a lot more talent and depth.

We have a more talent and depth....   

951069369_WehaveaJordanhare.gif.03b5a3e7a294e1903d376bca28ee9656.gif

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JGLEATON said:

We have a more talent and depth....   

951069369_WehaveaJordanhare.gif.03b5a3e7a294e1903d376bca28ee9656.gif

Yes, in the stands we will have more talent and depth. 😂

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Yes, in the stands we will have more talent and depth. 😂

It was more along the loki / Stark quote, "we have an army.."

"... we have a hulk."

Jordan-Hare... Smash!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, autan said:

The loser on Saturday should have to play Vandy in some kind of a bowl.

"Toilet Bowl" comes to mind.

I’m sticking with my thoughts from last game…zero expectations.  I’m just looking for the guys to play with the same energy as last game.  That’s it.  
I’ll be there, yelling in the stands.  😊

• Like 5

On 11/8/2022 at 12:16 AM, Mikey said:

I'm all for this. Try to keep him to use his speed but our next coach will (probably) be a very wise offensive minded coach (Kiffin, Grimes, or Freeze) and there's no way in hell they will keep him at QB1. If Robby doesn't want to be WR or back up QB then let him walk.

Our starter next year is either Holden or someone who plays for another team at the moment. If it's Robby, then next year will be just as brutal as this year.

I applaud and respect his effort. Sort of reminds me of Jonathan Wallace in 2012. He never gave up or complained but he just didn't have the skills to be an effective P5 QB.

Edited by woodford
  • Like 2

The AU staff should look better and more prepared this week. Not sure what to expect from the players. 

IMHO these are THE two most underachieving teams in the country. Both have glaring personnel weaknesses in a couple areas sure, but both rosters are full of highly touted recruits and players that got it done before but aint now. 

I expect Auburn to show up with fire in their hearts and anger in their bodies.

A&M has a truckload of 4 & 5 star talent, but Jimbo is .... um ..... Jimbo.

Can Auburn win? Well, maybe. Can A&M win? Well, maybe.

I consider it a tossup with A&M on top by 3 because ... well .... the new Carlson ain't the old Carlson.

But I sure would like to pull this one out.