QB Question for the rest of this season

TecmoBoJackson

At this point in the season with everything that has transpired - are we just going to roll out with Ashford at qb?  I mean I am fine either way because this season is what it is.  I was mainly thinking I have been wanting to see what Holden has to offer.  But I also get it if it's a redshirt issue as well.

9 minutes ago, TecmoBoJackson said:

At this point in the season with everything that has transpired - are we just going to roll out with Ashford at qb?  I mean I am fine either way because this season is what it is.  I was mainly thinking I have been wanting to see what Holden has to offer.  But I also get it if it's a redshirt issue as well.

First off, it's not a redshirt issue. Geriner can play four games and still redshirt. So far he's only played in one, so he's good to go for the rest of the regular season.

I'd play him starting Saturday and see what he can do. If it's a disaster, then put Ashford back in the game.

Look, I appreciate what Robbie is trying to do and he's giving it his all. However, he's simply not an SEC quality QB. Lets move him to slot receiver over the off-season. He can get the ball in space from there and run the jet sweeps. In the meantime Geriner is the best QB on campus. Let's give him a shot. I don't subscribe to the "you'll ruin him" line of thinking. If he's not mentally tougher than that he won't ever work out anyway.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 2

I think Ashford is the only option.  Greiner looked completely over his head when he played.  Maybe he can play against WKU if Auburn gets a big lead.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I think Ashford is the only option.  Greiner looked completely over his head when he played.  Maybe he can play against WKU if Auburn gets a big lead.  

He hit 2 of 3 pass attempts, which is better than anybody else we've put out there this year. (small sample, I know) Not bad for a green freshman. As far as looking over his head, I didn't see that. At any rate, lets give the kid a try. Maybe if he does have the jitters he can get over them this time instead of next season.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TecmoBoJackson said:

I would hope they get him some reps, but we have to remember that these coaches are basically auditioning right now.   I'm sure Carnell would love to be a HC some day and Friend likes being an OC.   To achieve those goals they need to perform on the field.

The best thing for Auburn would be to get Gernier as many reps as possible, regardless of outcome.  The best thing for the coaches is to try to win games, which can be at odds with the first sentence.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

I would certainly give Geriner a couple series but  Robby is the best chance to win ugly. We can’t win pretty. 

Edited by alexava
  • Like 2

Without knowing the vibe of the team, this could disrupt everything. The team wants a victory and to just play Holden for sh**s and giggles may not be the best move. I would love to see what he can do, but I want to win vs. playing a new QB. I don't believe Ashford is the long term answer at QB, but keeping the team together may require that he finish the season. I'm anxious to see Holden play, as I think he will be VERY good,  but I want Lac to win some games.    

• Like 1

There is no way in the world I would put Geriner in the game with that offensive line, unless it was absolutely necessary. I do not want to see that young man running for his life and getting pummeled. He can wait until the next game, if Auburn is up big against an inferior opponent. 

• Like 1

There are 2 thoughts on this for me. I think that we will continue with RA because he has been the constant for the season at QB and that gives us the most continuity for offensive game planning.  I think that if we do play HG then we need to have specific packages for him where he and RA are both on the field where we can see RA in the slot and running the sweep but allow HG the opportunity to make plays. Really open up the scheme and give ATM different looks and something we haven't put on tape yet... that will be hard considering our talent level but best case is we steal a few cheap big plays. 

I think that RA is one hell of an athlete but if I'm a defense I'm playing to stop the run.  Our offense is dialing up a lot of called running plays for him because I just don't think the accuracy is there and sometimes just doesn't see the open receivers.  Reminds of Bo Nix's happy feet and always wanting to run first.  That being said, RA balls out every time and gives it his all and that's a lot to ask for at this point in the season with this record.  I'm proud of all the guys continuing to fight on, coaches included.  

WDE!

No QB is going to look great until a coach comes in and fixes the issues with the offensive line.  Seems that putting a non mobile pro style QB with a couple of live games snaps is a recipe for disaster.  

Ashford gives Auburn its best chance under the circumstances.  

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Auburn02 said:

I vote go full on read-option with Robby but try to get Holden reps if we find ourselves with a suitable lead at some point.

that would be the way to go based on his speed etc. but if he's never run that style, he's not learning it in a few weeks, maybe not even months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

There is no way in the world I would put Geriner in the game with that offensive line, unless it was absolutely necessary. I do not want to see that young man running for his life and getting pummeled. He can wait until the next game, if Auburn is up big against an inferior opponent. 

This is how I feel as well. I'm not worried about him mentally breaking more than I am him physically breaking. Also, I tend to agree that, at this point in the season, I don't think it actually gives AU the best chance to win. 

• Like 1

RA is not the reason for our dysfunction- and in fact I think he's got a pretty good future if we go with a scheme that fits his strengths. TBD on that.

HG has a great future also, in the right scheme. He's got a great arm, both accuracy and touch/strength.

Problem is- they have two POLAR opposite skill sets.

For the moment, the offensive line isn't good enough to play the type of scheme that HG needs. So let Robby do his thing, he's been doing great.

• Like 1

I don't think it would hurt for Geriner to get a few snaps in the last 3 games. It would be good experience and he will remember it next year. It gives opponents something to think about too. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

The best thing for Auburn would be to get Gernier as many reps as possible, regardless of outcome.  The best thing for the coaches is to try to win games, which can be at odds with the first sentence.

It is in the best interest of Auburn AND the coaches to get the win.

• Facepalm 1

9 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

So let Robby do his thing, he's been doing great.

Your definition of doing great is more than a little bit er,,,,,unusual.

Geriner would be killed behind this OLine... Perhaps literally. Ashford at least has the mobility to avoid bloodthirsty headhunters.

Edited by JBiGGiE

I wouldn't throw a true FR out there behind this line against an SEC front unless we absolutely had to. 

I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a quarter or half in the next game though

RA is shaky as all get out, but the team recognizes him as their QB. I’m ready to see Geriner too but I doubt a change is happening this late.