Jeff Schmedding and Will Friend

AUCE05

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

We couldnt run on anyone all year.  We ran well last week and tonight. Don't discount improvement.

Could that be a result of Kendall Simmons stepping in as oline coach? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Carnell said:

I haven't seen anything impressive about Schmedding performance against MSU.  During the beginning the D was lousy during the middle of the game theDplayed well but that may be more of their offense losing focus after going up big and then when we got the lead our D couldn't hold the lead and with A&M game jordan Roger's stated the A&M offense was not very imaginative and elementary.  Very high school type of offense right up FCS Schmedd area of expertise.

In my opinion, what lost the game was the kick off return. Our kicker simply didn't have the leg to kick it consistently into the end zone. That was corrected in the A&M game. The defense I thought played well considering all the circumstances that had just occurred. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Carnell said:

Very high school type of offense right up FCS Schmedd area of expertise.

I have never heard anyone describe Jimbo's offense as "highschool type" 

It is a classic pro style offense that relies on a great tight end and oline for route trees to develop. His offense sucks this year but ive never heard anyone describe it as a bush league highschool ball type o.

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe that we toss criticism around like we are winning in spite of ourselves. This staff and these players have pulled together, even stepping out of their comfort zone to achieve a turnaround that could only have been a dream just three games ago. Everybody is in sink for the first time in a while. Maybe our makeshift OL is in fact playing over its head. Had I not seen our OL for the past couple years, I would be thinking we have a pretty good OL. Maybe the stars are aligned. But in the end, everyone on this staff and the players (regardless of stars) are united for the first time in a while with a special bond that will endure them to each other for the rest of our lives. I am going to enjoy this brief moment in AU history.  

2 hours ago, auskull said:

I find it hard to believe that we toss criticism around like we are winning in spite of ourselves. This staff and these players have pulled together, even stepping out of their comfort zone to achieve a turnaround that could only have been a dream just three games ago. Everybody is in sink for the first time in a while. Maybe our makeshift OL is in fact playing over its head. Had I not seen our OL for the past couple years, I would be thinking we have a pretty good OL. Maybe the stars are aligned. But in the end, everyone on this staff and the players (regardless of stars) are united for the first time in a while with a special bond that will endure them to each other for the rest of our lives. I am going to enjoy this brief moment in AU history.  

No doubt they are playing harder for Caddy and themselves. But if the OL had played well last night, Ashford wouldn't have been running for his life most of the time. The fact that Hunter and Tank broke long runs DESPITE the blocking is a testament to their talent and vision.

And the fact that we're playing "better" when coaches are not coaching their actual positions doesn't make me feel super confident about their ability...there just isn't much film for opponents to work with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

It is a classic pro style offense that relies on a great tight end and oline for route trees to develop. His offense sucks this year but ive never heard anyone describe it as a bush league highschool ball type o.

Just because they say pro style doesn't mean it's a pro offense.  Jordan Roger's kept talking about the simplicity of the route trees and how other teams have advanced their offenses but A&M did not.  So while the term high school offense was not specifically used these were some of the problems noted by people when describing gus offense they did use the term high school offense.  Anyone can line up in a pro style offense but if the game plan and play calling is high school then it is a high school offense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Just because they say pro style doesn't mean it's a pro offense.  Jordan Roger's kept talking about the simplicity of the route trees and how other teams have advanced their offenses but A&M did not.  So while the term high school offense was not specifically used these were some of the problems noted by people when describing gus offense they did use the term high school offense.  Anyone can line up in a pro style offense but if the game plan and play calling is high school then it is a high school offense.

Or maybe a/m rolled in to the plains missing their top 3 olinemen, #1 wr, #1 rb and were down to their second or third string qb and things sort of appeared simplified. I tend to think their problem was they vame in w a prostyle offense and didnt have the right components to run more of a high school offense w rpo's and qb dashes / options

3 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

His offense is outdated as hell.

1 hour ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Or maybe a/m rolled in to the plains missing their top 3 olinemen, #1 wr, #1 rb and were down to their second or third string qb and things sort of appeared simplified. I tend to think their problem was they vame in w a prostyle offense and didnt have the right components to run more of a high school offense w rpo's and qb dashes / options

I don't care if you are down to a 5th QB, 9th and 10th receivers there is no excuse for running streak routes evenly spaced receivers the entire night.  There is not any excuses for not trying to get your running backs outside the box by running screen passes I don't care how many backs a team is down to except for sorry coaching.  I am not saying A&M would have won that if they had did all of that but the type of offense A&M ran should not be used to assess the effectiveness of our DC.  

But if you want to say you believe you are right and they didn't have the components to run more than a high school offense, last night should not be used to assess the effectiveness of Schmedd ability to coach in the SEC.