Caddy and the big IF

alabastertiger

To steal a line from @rednilla we could do a lot worse than Caddy, but we can also do better.   BUT ... what if Caddy wins out driving a wooden stake into the place saban's heart should be.   If that should happen I think there would be riots if he was not selected as the next coach.   I'm not saying it going to happen, BUT what if it did.

Edited by alabastertiger

We have just spent a great deal of time talking about undue booster influence over the head coach and coaches not being ready for this level. I love Caddy and I'm glad he's getting this moment, but he's also as green as you get. If it got to the point of hiring him as head coach, it would probably mean we had lost out on all of our rumored list of candidates, so he would be coming into a situation with immense pressure, disappointment and very little buzz outside of Auburn fans. He would have a mountain of a job in front of him with very little leverage against booster influence. Going from a failure in Harsin to a green first year head coach would make the recruiting trail a nightmare initially and we'd likely lose out on the best portal players for this year. 

Minus big help from the portal, next year's roster is a major mess. We could have as bad a season or worse than this year and once the emotion over Caddy runs out, he would be put in a very, very bad spot. 

I'd rather us hire the best name we possibly can and hope he keeps Caddy on to keep learning. The guy has a lot of potential, but Auburn is the wrong job to throw him into green right now. 

• Like 7

If we pick Caddy,  our fanbase will have to understand it will not be a quick fix.    Experience means a lot.  Caddy will have to make a few years worth of mistakes and successes to learn from. \\

I would take Caddy as HC any day,  but I realize it may be a few decent and a few bad years before he learns from coaching mistakes/successes and we become consistent.   In the mean time,  you know as well as I that we eat our own here at Auburn ... especially when it comes to fired ex coaches.   If things go south,  a large portion of our fan base would turn on Caddy.   I do not want to see that happen.  He is too valuable to our program.   I would rather have him learn at a smaller school for 4-8years,  and come back when he is ready.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

We have just spent a great deal of time talking about undue booster influence over the head coach and coaches not being ready for this level. I love Caddy and I'm glad he's getting this moment, but he's also as green as you get. If it got to the point of hiring him as head coach, it would probably mean we had lost out on all of our rumored list of candidates, so he would be coming into a situation with immense pressure, disappointment and very little buzz outside of Auburn fans. He would have a mountain of a job in front of him with very little leverage against booster influence. Going from a failure in Harsin to a green first year head coach would make the recruiting trail a nightmare initially and we'd likely lose out on the best portal players for this year. 

Minus big help from the portal, next year's roster is a major mess. We could have as bad a season or worse than this year and once the emotion over Caddy runs out, he would be put in a very, very bad spot. 

I'd rather us hire the best name we possibly can and hope he keeps Caddy on to keep learning. The guy has a lot of potential, but Auburn is the wrong job to throw him into green right now. 

I agree with everything you say, but should he beat bama ... with this team ... How could you not give him a shot?

4 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

I agree with everything you say, but should he beat bama ... with this team ... How could you not give him a shot?

He is not going to be the coach. Give it up . 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

I agree with your sentiment overall, but Bama is a field goal and/or a decent play call from Lane and Jimbo away from being a 4ish loss team this season. They're not a 4-loss team, but they're a hair away from being one. Kirby was a greater factor of Bama/Saban dominance than they care to admit.

The main question we need to ask is: "do we want to beat Bama every few years, or regularly contend for SEC/natty titles?" The reason we fired Gus was b/c he couldn't compete with the big boys regularly. We either get our guy now and strike while we can, or we slip into the middle/bottom of the SEC pack with OU and UTx coming in, along with UT and LSU on the rise. We shouldn't make an overly-emotional decision by getting carried away with an Auburn legend, and good position coach after breathing some enthusiasm into our program.

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 3

This is why hiring a Kiffen or Sanders versus a Freeze is so important. The reason is the portal. If we can't win in the portal this year, we're in trouble regardless of who's coach.

• Like 2

If that happens, it would probably help lean things to the side of not being kept, even as RB coach..

1 hour ago, DAG said:

He is not going to be the coach. Give it up . 

He is not who I would want for a coach.   I would much rather have Prime, Kiffen, Grimes, or Freeze.   I'm just saying what if.

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

If that happens, it would probably help lean things to the side of not being kept, even as RB coach..

You are probably right about that.

1 hour ago, alabastertiger said:

To steal a line from @rednilla we could do a lot worse than Caddy, but we can also do better.   BUT ... what if Caddy wins out driving a wooden stake into the place saban's heart should be.   If that should happen I think there would be riots if he was not selected as the next coach.   I'm not saying it going to happen, BUT what if it did.

No. Nope, naw and Nah.

Not taking anything away from him and if he accomplished that it would certainly be quite the feat, but it's a no for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alabastertiger said:

How could you not give him a shot?

Simple, the idea that you're going to make a decision on ~4+ seasons worth of Auburn football in the most critical period in decades (with Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC) based off of the outcome of ONE football game is what one would call: DUMB, ILLOGICAL, FOOLISH, DANGEROUS, ETC.

What about this is confusing, really?

He beats Bama so therefore you gotta hire him? Excuse me? Bryan Harsin nearly beat Bama last season. Maybe we should call him back? Do you understand that FLUKES happen? 

You are literally wasting your time. I can bet you any amount of money that that outcome of the Bama game is not one of Cohen's "58 decision points" that he has written down.

In fact, don't be surprised if the hire is leaked a day BEFORE the Iron Bowl. Just so we don't need to get into this entire stupid game wherein if we somehow win, it somehow means that Cadillac is the guy. It ain't happening.

Edited by metafour
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, metafour said:

How could you not give him a shot?

Simple, the idea that you're going to make a decision on ~4+ seasons worth of Auburn football in the most critical period in decades (with Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC) based off of the outcome of ONE football game is what one would call: DUMB, ILLOGICAL, FOOLISH, DANGEROUS, ETC.

What about this is confusing, really?

He beats Bama so therefore you gotta hire him? Excuse me? Bryan Harsin nearly beat Bama last season. Maybe we should call him back? Do you understand that FLUKES happen? 

You are literally wasting your time. I can bet you any amount of money that that outcome of the Bama game is not one of Cohen's "58 decision points" that he has written down.

In fact, don't be surprised if the hire is leaked a day BEFORE the Iron Bowl. Just so we don't need to get into this entire stupid game wherein if we somehow win, it somehow means that Cadillac is the guy. It ain't happening.

How fun would it be if they announced at the basketball game tonight? 

2 hours ago, alabastertiger said:

I think there would be riots if he was not selected as the next coach. 

That's why we should make an announcement before the IB if we have made a hire by then.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That's why we should make an announcement before the IB if we have made a hire by then.

I totally agree.   That is the only way to take the IF out of the equation.   

Just now, kennypowers said:

If Caddy wins out and takes us to a bowl, he earned at least 2 years.

Not just no...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Not just no...

Why not?  Energy...good recruiter.  Can lead a bunch of broken players to a win over the updykes on the road?  

1 hour ago, kennypowers said:

Why not?  Energy...good recruiter.  Can lead a bunch of broken players to a win over the updykes on the road?  

Good recruiter?

He's been a college coach for 4 years and has signed how many? 3 as of now and maybe 5 after this cycle?

Caddy may eventually be a really good coach but Caddy is the first to tell you that he isn't ready. He isn't. He has a whole lot to learn before taking over a program and even more if it's in the SECw.

Screenshot_20221115-135334.png

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Good recruiter?

He's been a college coach for 4 years and has signed how many? 3 and, as of now, maybe 5 after this cycle?

Caddy may eventually be a really good coach but Caddy is the first to tell you that he isn't ready. He isn't. He has a whole lot to learn before taking over a program and even more if it's in the SECw.

Screenshot_20221115-135334.png

And not ONE of them is a decent offensive lineman.  Well maybe one.

Edited by icanthearyou
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Good recruiter? Wasn’t he on staff when we didn’t sign a single player in February?