1989 in Jordan-Hare

TigerVII

In the 1980s, the orange and blue shakers were made of paper.  Early in the game, Reggie Slack, the AU QB, completed a 40-50 yard pass and AU was inside the Bama 10-yard line for a first down.  The paper dust from the shakers was choking most of the student section.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, TigerVII said:

In the 1980s, the orange and blue shakers were made of paper.  Early in the game, Reggie Slack, the AU QB, completed a 40-50 yard pass and AU was inside the Bama 10-yard line for a first down.  The paper dust from the shakers was choking most of the student section.

And if you watch the broadcast on YouTube or wherever, that is why the screen is blurry, then and the rest of game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerVII said:

I was in school in 1989 and it was crazy. The reciever if my memory serves me correctly was Alexander (Ace) Wright. On that pass play the bammer CB pushed him out of bounds and Ace came back into the the field of play and caught the pass. Ace could fly and I believe was the fastest man in pro football for a few years.

• Like 1

I was not at that Iron Bowl, but it was the best game I've ever watched Auburn play.

• Like 2

Amen. My last game as a senior too. Coughed and sneezed out paper shaker for days. Best game I ever saw I person. Better than Kick 6. Better than the LSU interception game. Better than beating Spurriers ass. Better than the first 59 minutes of the earthquake game. Better than Cam back. Better than prayer at Jordan Hare. Even better than the natty in Glendale. The best. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

I was not at that Iron Bowl, but it was the best game I've ever watched Auburn play.

Definitely one of the best all time. Unrelated but your user name and avi are awesome. Eastwood is the best. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

Definitely one of the best all time. Unrelated but your user name and avi are awesome. Eastwood is the best. 

Thanks.  And that was his best movie ever as a director, and pretty darn close as an actor too.  He got better with age.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TigerVII said:

Today is the 33rd anniversary of the first Iron Bowl in Jordan-Hare stadium, a 30-20 victory over the No. 2 ranked and undefeated Crimson Turds.

This was the last home game of my senior year at AU, and it was the most electrified game that I have ever attended.  After the victory, Toomer's Corner was basically the entire block of College Street fronting Samford Hall.

My uncle had a rusty old orange Datsun pickup, and he parked it near the oak on the Magnolia side (you could park anywhere in 1989). After the game, I stood in the pickup bed and threw rolls into the tree. If anyone has any pics of the mayhem at Toomers afterward, I would love to see if you can spot his truck. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

My uncle had a rusty old orange Datsun pickup, and he parked it near the oak on the Magnolia side (you could park anywhere in 1989). After the game, I stood in the pickup bed and threw rolls into the tree. If anyone has any pics of the mayhem at Toomers afterward, I would love to see if you can spot his truck. 

I miss the days you could park anywhere. My Dad and my Uncle used to take us and we would park under a huge oak a block from the stadium. Great tail gate and we never got in a hurry to leave the loveliest village.

• Like 2

that game was when i realized how much i loved coach dye. he made us equal and he beat their ass handily! we showed them not only were we equal we were better and we showed the world what jerks some uni's are. i dislike curyy until many years later when he was broadcasting games on espn and he won me over.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

that game was when i realized how much i loved coach dye. he made us equal and he beat their ass handily! we showed them not only were we equal we were better and we showed the world what jerks some uni's are. i dislike curyy until many years later when he was broadcasting games on espn and he won me over.

I've always thought that having Pat Sullivan as OC for that game was some kind of Karma or divine intervention. Sullivan gave us hope in the late 60's and early 70's and beat the tahd 2 of 3 years. Then the other Pat took us past them and got us national recognition in the 80's. 

Still think it is the most significant football game Auburn has ever played.

Alabama was the last domino to fall in regards to getting schools to come to Auburn to play.

Georgia in 1960 (played them in Columbus for many years prior).

Georgia Tech in 1970 (we played them 50+ years in a row in Atlanta, and from 1906-1969 did not have a true home game).

Tennessee in 1974 (strange but true fact: We've played more games in Auburn against Arkansas (16) than we have against Tennessee (12)...played our "home" games in Birmingham, and the home-and-home didn't truly start until 1980) 

Alabama in 1989...we all know the history there. 

There was no way that I was selling my ticket to the '89 game against Alabama. I knew that it was history being made and I was going to be there. I wish students had gotten actual physical tickets for individual games, as opposed to the season pass punch cards we had. I may go look around and see if there is a reasonably priced actual game ticket floating around.

To win that game with the significance of it being so palpable, that was something to see. To beat a 10-0 Alabama team in the process? Icing on the cake. 

• Like 3

I was a student then and worked in the box seating on the visitor side. I had to be at the stadium 2 hours before game time so got to watch Tiger Walk from the top of the ramp to the upper deck, above the student section.  Never seen anything like it. The energy was insane!  I knew that there was no way Bama was beating us that day. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SLAG-91 said:

Georgia in 1960 (played them in Columbus for many years prior).

Both Georgia and Auburn leveraged the AU/UGA game to get stadium expansions on campus. Neither team was crazy about playing in Columbus.

I was at the first Tech and Tennessee games played in Auburn. Sadly, I couldn't be at the 1989 bammer game.

13 hours ago, WillMunny said:

Thanks.  And that was his best movie ever as a director, and pretty darn close as an actor too.  He got better with age.

Ha, his whole verbal beatdown to everybody after he smoked Little Bill at the end is epic. “Shoot your dog too” lol. Great choice. 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 8:00 PM, creed said:

I was in school in 1989 and it was crazy. The reciever if my memory serves me correctly was Alexander (Ace) Wright. On that pass play the bammer CB pushed him out of bounds and Ace came back into the the field of play and caught the pass. Ace could fly and I believe was the fastest man in pro football for a few years.

Two different plays you're thinking of. Wright was the same WR on both plays.

• Thanks 1

I have a pic of Toomers Corner from post game. I actually found myself in the pic. I can take a pic of it from my phone if someone call tell me how to post it here. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Butthead said:

I have a pic of Toomers Corner from post game. I actually found myself in the pic. I can take a pic of it from my phone if someone call tell me how to post it here. 

imgbb.com

2 hours ago, Butthead said:

rt click  picture > copy

reply to post.   rt click body of post >  paste

OR 

click picture and drag to post.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

6 hours ago, Viper said:

I've always been amazed no one has ever noticed we should have been flagged for 5 men in the backfield on the 1st TD...

Either that or having 12 men on the field...didn't notice it live, but saw it referenced in an article later on.

Shaker dust got in the officials' eyes, I figure. 😏