GaTech @ Auburn

passthebiscuits

In my opinion, GaTech is one of the keys to the season. With Ball returning and that super wide out, our young secondary could be tested early. However, they seem to have a pretty new Oline, so McClover and Groves should get some work.

In the end, I think that this one hinges on the play of Brandon Cox. If we have a comfortable offensive scheme going into the game to take the pressure off, I think we come out victorious. But if we stumble out of the gates in the running game (aka USC 2003), Cox could get into trouble.

Thoughts?

:au:

I would have to agree with you. The play of Cox is going to play a very large role in this game. I look for the defense to play a bigger role in this one, and become to deciding factor. If we can keep their offense off the field, and our offense can play with as little pressure on them as possible, it should be a great game for Auburn.

I know that Coach Borges will have a great game plan in place for this one that will give Cox and the rest of the offense the chance to excel and make some key plays.

With Ball being such a mobile QB, one of the things that worries me IS the fact that we have such fast DE's. I hope we don't get burned on draw plays because we overrun the play with our speed. That would suck.

I just hope Reggie Ball gets a couple of mouthfulls of Auburn, Alabama dirt...we owe GT sooooo bad I can't stand it.

We cant just rely on our defense to win. We need to score a early touchdown and keep on rollin form there. We go in to halftime 14-3 and win 21-10.

Lets hope McClover isnt the newest injured player out for the season....

173135[/snapback]

Is the hamstring looking like a huge problem or is it like they first said he will be out about a week.

We cant just rely on our defense to win. We need to score a early touchdown and keep on rollin form there. We go in to halftime 14-3 and win 21-10.

173292[/snapback]

Sounds about right...Cox has to get his feet wet..... Then we'll be very good....

:au::homer:

If our offense plays good and Cox gets comforatable then we should win. If we keep the pressure off of Cox and let him just throw the ball, then we will do fine but we can't let our defense get hammered out there and giving up 20 points before half. If Cox can his feet wet and make some good plays then we should win this one. I'm gonna predict the final score as 17-10. :au:

GT returns on two OL, one is a soph and is injured but will probably play. It could get ugly for Ball. I doubt if that WR will get much time to run any patterns. Our O should do fine if they stick to their knitting. I just don't see it unless we set them up with easy scores.

Re: McGlover: I may be overly optimistic but I can't imagine any hamstring injury sidelining a player for an entire season in this day and age...if it's truly just a hamstring.

I want to beat GT worse than any team except Bama this year. The way the media hyped Ball's "grudge game against the school that didn't draft him although he wanted to go there" was revolting. I totally agree we should worry about our secondary in this game and the first 5 minutes of the game could be a microcosm of things to come. IF we can keep from making young-backfield turnovers and our secondary show up, we should be okay.

3 words: Ken Griffey,JR.

I doubt if the Predator will have a nagging problem like KGJ though....

IF Cox goes through his reads and DOES NOT lock in on particular receivers I think we could have a situation similar to USC's after the 2002 season..NO dropoff @ QB!! The back-ups stink though! :cheer:

I think it's a little to early to go around and start bashing on the backup QB's. They are young and still learning to offense and how to play the college game. Once they both get settled into their own respective rythms, they will both be very good QB's for Auburn in the future.

reminds me of something funnny on TV last night.

Espn Classic, 2am, "Cheap Seats". They are doing the

1980 MLB all star game. Ken Griffey comes to bat.

Host says "And I'm sorry to announce, that Mr Griffey's

10 year old son just pulled his hamstring out on the

play ground last week so he coudn't make it here to

watch his dad play today".

OFFENSE Returning Starters: 4

QB 1 Reggie Ball 5-11 195 Jr.

TB 45 PJ Daniels 5-10 210 Sr.-R

FB 40 Mike Cox 6-1 248 So.

WR 21 Calvin Johnson 6-4 225 So.

WR 8 Damarius Bilbo 6-3 225 Sr.-R

TE 48 Michael Matthews 6-4 270 Jr.-R

LT 64 Andrew Gardner 6-6 280 Fr.-R

LG 61 Matt Rhodes 6-3 280 So.-R

C 73 Nate McManus 6-3 290 So.

RG 68 Mansfield Wrotto 6-3 310 Jr.

RT 72 Brad Honeycutt 6-4 310 Sr.-R

The starting left tackle at Georgia Tech is a Redshirt Freshman...Andrew Gardner should get beaten quite a bit in his first college game...hopefully McClover, Groves and Gunn can seriously disrupt the offense via this freshman...the other tackle is an experienced senior so he should be better prepared...but neither tackle should be as good as Mcneil and Reddick are and that is who our DE's are going to be used to playing.

Reggie Ball can be scary but not as scary as Matt Jones and we shut him down last year.

On offense, we have a good o-line, competent backs, a talented if inexperienced QB.very good receivers and a very good Offensive coordinator...I think they will produce the 20 points that we need to get us the W...GTech Defense averaged giving up 17 ppg last year.

If we get 20 then we definitely win IMO

Jason at Sports Talk was going over the lineup for GT and was pointing out that their OL had only two returning starters. In any event, I don't see GT OL holding out the AU D. I am looking forward to also watching the UGA Boise St game that will be on right before the AU GT game. The state of Georgia has a big day on Sept 3. I think UGA may be a little surprised initially by the type of spread offense they will see. Probably similar to UF when they meet in Jacksonville.

Archived