Gus

gr82b4au

Kudos to Gus. According to TV news he gets $4 million a year and an extension. You haters can eat your hearts out. He's not Auburn's coach so why do you even care? Jealousy must be a miserable burden to bear because y'all can't seem to shake it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Kudos to Gus. According to TV news he gets $4 million a year and an extension. You haters can eat your hearts out. He's not Auburn's coach so why do you even care? Jealousy must be a miserable burden to bear because y'all can't seem to shake it.

My problem is not with Gus. It’s with these stupid administrators throughout college football who spend millions and millions of dollars for underperformance. I don’t blame the coaches for taking it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

No problem with Gus I see him in Publix from time to time give him a War Eagle and get one back. He only live a few miles from me seems much more relaxed then before. I'm sure if I could still play golf I could hook up with him to play. Wish him nothing but the best.

• Like 6

On 1/7/2023 at 7:57 PM, maryland tiger said:

So glad someone started this thread. Gus lost 5 games this season but his fanboys have been quiet as a church mouse. I know someone will say he only averaged 4.5 losses a year at Auburn but I prefer to round up.

If you go checkout the Chiefs v. Raiders games from tonight, you'll see KC's version of Gus's whirly bird. It is very impressive. 

Whirly Bird.JPG

yeah well we’re still pating him over $2 mill/year so we own some of those UCF losses

He’s down 24-0 to Kansas right now. Kansas is pretty good these days and I’m happy to see that. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

He’s down 24-0 to Kansas right now. Kansas is pretty good these days and I’m happy to see that. 

Kansas playing their backup???

8 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

My problem is not with Gus. It’s with these stupid administrators throughout college football who spend millions and millions of dollars for underperformance. I don’t blame the coaches for taking it. 

Yes, it's definitely curious.  When Goofy Gus got the $49M extension in 2017, one could somewhat justify it because of the totally unexpected wins against top-ranked uat & UGA, and the fear of losing Gus to Arky (lol, that still cracks me up having to write it.)  But this time there's only an unprecedented loss to a bottom dwelling Baylor team.  The optics look terrible.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

No problem with Gus I see him in Publix from time to time give him a War Eagle and get one back. He only live a few miles from me seems much more relaxed then before. I'm sure if I could still play golf I could hook up with him to play. Wish him nothing but the best.

If I ever see Harsin I'll be sure to give him a War Eagle ... just to see him squirm(!)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Looks like tonight’s post game Waffle House feast may be a no go for Gus and the Mrs.

• Like 1

Just now, gctiger said:

Looks like tonight’s post game Waffle House feast may be a no go for Gus and the Mrs.

Long ways to go so its possible for a comeback Gus saw that happen last week

30 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

31-0. now...earning that pay check.

8 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

No problem with Gus I see him in Publix from time to time give him a War Eagle and get one back. He only live a few miles from me seems much more relaxed than before. I'm sure if I could still play golf I could hook up with him to play. Wish him nothing but the best.

Don’t think he visited Publix, etc… here. Know he drove thru Taco Bell one night and ordered 33 tacos. I would think Gus is a good fit for UCF. Have no problem with him. He sure had a way of making Saban feel uncomfortable most years.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Kansas playing their backup???

Yes. Their starter has missed a couple of weeks. 

• Thanks 1

Gus is a good guy and I hate wishing any ill on him but this makes us look less bad (nationally, I mean) for parting with him.

Edited by AUwent

48 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Gus is a good guy and I hate wishing any ill on him but this makes us look less bad (nationally, I mean) for parting with him.

Or, it makes us look more,and more stupid for paying him all that money in the first place. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Long ways to go so its possible for a comeback Gus saw that happen last week

That’s why I stated it “may” be postponed. 🙂

17 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Or, it makes us look more,and more stupid for paying him all that money in the first place. 

Unfortunately, we might've looked really, really terrible if we didn't give him what he wanted after those two wins. And when attracting a coach, that absolutely matters.

Edited by AUwent

30 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Unfortunately, we might've looked really, really terrible if we didn't give him what he wanted after those two wins. And when attracting a coach, that absolutely matters.

Should have waited until he laid that egg in the SEC championship game.

Or the bowl game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Doesn’t make us look stupid at all. Just forking out the contracts and money head coaches get today. Have to admire Gus in a way. How many folks would even think about working further with his exit parachute. 

Just now, SaltyTiger said:

Doesn’t make us look stupid at all. Just forking out the contracts and money head coaches get today. Have to admire Gus in a way. How many folks would even think about working further with his exit parachute. 

It was dumb on Leath's part, and it wound up costing Auburn millions to pay Gus not to coach. I don't even think that's debatable. 

Now UCF has just said, "Hold my beer Auburn." They just extended the contract of a guy who has yet to win his first Big 12 game. It's almost comical.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Like the convos about Bo, I can’t wait until Auburn football is relevant enough to where both of these guys are just distant memories

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

It was dumb on Leath's part, and it wound up costing Auburn millions to pay Gus not to coach. I don't even think that's debatable. 

Now UCF has just said, "Hold my beer Auburn." They just extended the contract of a guy who has yet to win his first Big 12 game. It's almost comical.

Water over the dam now and I agree Leath was mistake. 

Hmmm ... I now seem to remember that Malzahn is now coaching at some lower level Florida school. But I never can remember which one. South Florida? Florida Atlantic? Central Florida? North Florida? West Florida? South-Central Florida?

Why is this even a topic here at AUF? He be gone. Like Harsin. Gone.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, Jeff Brohm has Louisville at 5-0, and has mighty Notre Dame on the ropes in the third quarter. If Auburn has listened to me in 2021, and hired Brohm we wouldn't have had to go through the Harsin debacle. 🤔