Top Ten Reasons

alexgreatau

No,

I'm not trying to impersonate David Letterman here. I don't want to bore any of you with another long post so I'm gonna simplify things here and list ten reasons why it is imperative for Auburn to beat Ga. Tech on Sept. 3rd. In David Letterman fashion, however, I will start from ten and work my way down. Here is my list.

10. AU has not lost a home game to Georgia Tech since the Jimmy Carter administration, I think. Maybe it's been longer than that.

9. The administration at Georgia Tech decided to affectively end of the south's greatest rivalries, AU/Tech, because their teams could not compete with Auburn.

8. I don't know if any of you remember this fact or not, but Auburn was preseason #1 in 1990 in some publications. At season's end, Georgia Tech claimed half of the national championship and Auburn played in the Peach Bowl. I'm still embarassed by this. I still don't think that the '90 Tech team could have beaten Auburn, especially when they had to launch a desparate last minute drive to tie North Carolina that season. I guess that a coward doesn't die a thousand deaths afer all.

7. Auburn is currently on a 15 game winning streak and we would like to keep that thing going here. I would love to see an Auburn team surpass the 20-in-a-row mark set by the 1993-94 teams. The winning streak can't last forever, but I hope and pray that it won't end to Georgia Tech. At home

6. We have a better team than Tech does.

5. Auburn needs to prove to America that we are capable of beating a quality non-conference opponent during the regular season. As much as I hate to admit this, Auburn has struggled with quality non-conference opponents during the last twenty years. Remember the series with FSU? Remember the series with Texas, a series that cost us the NC in 1983? What about when UVA shut us out at home in '98 and their fans chanted "A-C-C" in Jordan Hare Stadium? What about Syracuse who manhandles us in the Carrier Dome and took us to two overtimes a year later? Of course, we all remember how disastrous the USC series was for Auburn.

4. Auburn is trying to validate that by beating a top 25 opponent, that the 2004 season was no fluke and that we are on our way to being a more consistent program instead of a one hit wonder.

3. Traditionally, Auburn teams that have lost non-conference games early in the season have gone on to disappointing campaigns, with the exception of the 1983 team. The Auburn '84, '85, '98, '01, and '03 teams represent this fact.

2. I'm still pissed off about losing to Tech in 2003. We go from preseason #1 to scoring only three points against a weak defense like Ga. Tech. Tech fans chanting, "overrated!!", tearing down the goal posts, and carrying Reggie Ball around like a war hero was probably the ultimate embarassment. We owe this team big time.

1. As a UGA fan once told me, "Alex, losing to Georgia Tech is never acceptable!!"

Alex

2. I'm still pissed off about losing to Tech in 2003. We go from preseason #1 to scoring only three points against a weak defense like Ga. Tech. Tech fans chanting, "overrated!!", tearing down the goal posts, and carrying Reggie Ball around like a war hero was probably the ultimate embarassment. We owe this team big time.

Alex

173621[/snapback]

I was there and I couldn't agree with you more! I will return the favors to the GA Tech fans this year after we pound them!

I hated the ride home that day...

My #1 reason..They are ga tech , for crying out loud. Auburn is NOT supposed to lose to tech...ever.

p.s. Auburn owns the overall record vs the criminoles. :au:

No,

I'm not trying to impersonate David Letterman here. I don't want to bore any of you with another long post so I'm gonna simplify things here and list ten reasons why it is imperative for Auburn to beat Ga. Tech on Sept. 3rd. In David Letterman fashion, however, I will start from ten and work my way down. Here is my list.

10. AU has not lost a home game to Georgia Tech since the Jimmy Carter administration, I think. Maybe it's been longer than that.

9. The administration at Georgia Tech decided to affectively end of the south's greatest rivalries, AU/Tech, because their teams could not compete with Auburn.

8. I don't know if any of you remember this fact or not, but Auburn was preseason #1 in 1990 in some publications. At season's end, Georgia Tech claimed half of the national championship and Auburn played in the Peach Bowl. I'm still embarassed by this. I still don't think that the '90 Tech team could have beaten Auburn, especially when they had to launch a desparate last minute drive to tie North Carolina that season. I guess that a coward doesn't die a thousand deaths afer all.

7. Auburn is currently on a 15 game winning streak and we would like to keep that thing going here. I would love to see an Auburn team surpass the 20-in-a-row mark set by the 1993-94 teams. The winning streak can't last forever, but I hope and pray that it won't end to Georgia Tech. At home

6. We have a better team than Tech does.

5. Auburn needs to prove to America that we are capable of beating a quality non-conference opponent during the regular season. As much as I hate to admit this, Auburn has struggled with quality non-conference opponents during the last twenty years. Remember the series with FSU? Remember the series with Texas, a series that cost us the NC in 1983? What about when UVA shut us out at home in '98 and their fans chanted "A-C-C" in Jordan Hare Stadium? What about Syracuse who manhandles us in the Carrier Dome and took us to two overtimes a year later? Of course, we all remember how disastrous the USC series was for Auburn.

4. Auburn is trying to validate that by beating a top 25 opponent, that the 2004 season was no fluke and that we are on our way to being a more consistent program instead of a one hit wonder.

3. Traditionally, Auburn teams that have lost non-conference games early in the season have gone on to disappointing campaigns, with the exception of the 1983 team. The Auburn '84, '85, '98, '01, and '03 teams represent this fact.

1. As a UGA fan once told me, "Alex, losing to Georgia Tech is never acceptable!!"

Alex

173621[/snapback]

I agree with you completely.

If I remember correctly, we demolished Texas at Auburn the last time we played them. And I think we beat FSU the last time we played them on a last second field goal after sacking their QB late in the game. Plus we lead the series with FSU.

I was there and I couldn't agree with you more! I will return the favors to the GA Tech fans this year after we pound them!

I hated the ride home that day...

173627[/snapback]

Worse than being in Atlanta that day, I was in Tuscalooser. I caught holy hell for my AU hat and #34 jersey until Oklahoma was done kicking Bama around. Then the dirt farmers weren't so mouthy.

The only reason to beat the bees.......

They're Next!

armysoldier3rk.gifbuzzfly66zo.gif

The only reason to beat the bees.......

They're Next!

armysoldier3rk.gifbuzzfly66zo.gif

173716[/snapback]

Very nice sig pic TIS ! ! ! :big:

Man, that was way too depressing for an inspirational Top 10 list. And we DID beat FSU the last time we played them, and we do own the series against them. And you can't just discount Bowl wins over Wisconsin and VA Tech, etc....I like Bowl wins! :big:

:au::homer:

Man, that was way too depressing for an inspirational Top 10 list. And we DID beat FSU the last time we played them, and we do own the series against them. And you can't just discount Bowl wins over Wisconsin and VA Tech, etc....I like Bowl wins! :big:

:au::homer:

SKCAUB,,

These are top ten reasons why we must beat Tech on Sept. 3, not a lamentation of past failures. If you want depressing, look no further than reason two. I just listed ten reasons why I want Auburn to beat Tech in this game. If you're depressed by that than man, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to depress you or anything.

You're right. We did beat FSU the last time we played them. However, we have lost the last three out of four to FSU, including the last three games played in the 1980's. FSU was the only team that beat us in 1987 and we all remember the pass interference Sugar Bowl in 1988.

Texas is another story. Although Auburn beat the Horns back in 1991, the real backbreaking loss to Texas was in 1983, a game that cost us the national championship. They Horns beat us again in 1984 and that early season loss set the tone for the entire season, which would be a disappointing one.

Bowl games matter but for whatever reason, the media always focuses on a team's non-conference record during the regular season. They don't use a team's bowl record as a template in examining it's overall ability as a program, but use their regular season record against non-conference teams.

I know you remember the BCS fiasco of '04. All I kept hearing during that time was, "Auburn lost to USC this, Auburn lost to Georgia Tech that." I never once heard of how Auburn had beaten a Wisconsin team coached by a college football great in Barry Alvarez and beat a Penn State team coached by legendary Joe Paterno. Trust me, the regular season matters more. I don't make the rules, this is just the way it is.

Alex

I agree with everything you're saying but the record against quality non-conference opponents has not been all that bad. Sure they lost to Texas in 1983 but they also murdered them in the season opener in 1987, and beat them in Austin in 1991. From 1985 to 1990 :au: was 2-3 vs Florida St. and one loss was in the Sugar Bowl. As for a couple others you mentioned. I was at the UVA game and it was awful but I think it did not matter who Auburn played that year they were just not going to score any points. And Syracuse in 2001 was a special circumstance. First game in the State of NY since 9-11. Even the play by play guys calling the game were for Syracuse.

I agree with every reason. #2 on the list especially. Losing to GA Tech was sad, we should have beat them but when GA Tech scored before we did, it kinda shell shocked us the rest of the game and we never were able to gain any momentum after that. This year should be different, hopefully we can pound them and just make them never wish they came to Jordan-Hare Stadium.

WAR EAGLE! :au:

My #1 reason is to back up last years 13-0 season. If we win this one everyone will say well a 13-0 team should beat a team like Tech and if we lose these same people will say last year was a fluke.

:gt: no bad feelings but I hope we smack you around like a member of the Talaban lashed to a pole in Central Park.

This game really worries me because Tech has a really good defense and a experienced quarterback that made us look like a highschool team two years ago, when we had Dansby, Thomas, and Chizik. Man, I hope Cox can come through because they are going to tee off on his inexperience.

This game really worries me because Tech has a really good defense and a experienced quarterback that made us look like a highschool team two years ago, when we had Dansby, Thomas, and Chizik.  Man, I hope Cox can come through because they are going to tee off on his inexperience.

173890[/snapback]

Reggie Ball did not make our defense look like a high school team in 2003. In fact, he only made one good throw all game. The problem was that our offense, under Hugh Nall's direction, couldn't score. We only passed their 20 once.

I agree with everything else you said. That Tech team is two years more experienced than the one we played in 03. Then again, so are we.

Alex

Archived