2024 5* PG Tahaad Pettiford Signs with AU!

AU Is Gold

12 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I get the joke there - you could probably survive and even win those minutes in the right situation, it just puts such a strain on your team to be really really good. Auburn lost some stretches off of the back of that Harper-Brown-Samir lineup when those 3s weren’t hitting or guys weren’t getting those steals. Also worked at other points 

I’d reserve that as being a change up thing 

I rather not risk it. Even the best shooters in the world cannot survive that when it is all said and done.

• Like 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2024 5* PG Tahaad Pettiford Commits to AU!
On 6/21/2023 at 8:30 AM, gravejd said:

This one is going to be a fight to keep him committed. The way he is climbing the rankings all the blue bloods will be calling. Hope Bruce can hold onto him. It’ll be interesting with Aden and Tre already on board

Tre would not be a factor at all with Aden and Pettiford. He is at a severe talent disadvantage compared to those 2. And yes if you can’t tell I’m not high on tre at all!! What gave it away!? 😆🤣

Edited by GwillMac6

On 6/21/2023 at 2:09 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

A 3 guard line up with exclusively 6'2 dudes and under is a kiss of death on defense 

As long as we aren’t painfully bad and borderline unwatchable at times on offense like we were last season I can live with that. “Good” defense is easy to find in the college game because teams are for the most part easy to defend. Not a lot of actual good offenses at the college level. It’s why mizzou and especially bama were so good last year in the sec. They were the only competent offenses consistently.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

As long as we aren’t painfully bad and borderline unwatchable at times on offense like we were last season I can live with that. “Good” defense is easy to find in the college game because teams are for the most part easy to defend. Not a lot of actual good offenses at the college level. It’s why mizzou and especially bama were so good last year in the sec. They were the only competent offenses consistently.

Eh Missouri got as far as we did while getting killed defensively (!!) vs a much worse team than who we played. They were demonstrably worse and the biggest gap between the two was Auburn's D vs their O, not Auburn's fairly anemic offense vs their much worse D. 

Watchable or not, unless Aden and Tre become much better defenders than they currently project to be, you're pairing two guys who are around Wendell level at that end with a complete rookie. SEC teams are too good at the guard spot to start that backcourt 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

Honestly if whoever is the backup point between Tre and Aden shows and proves (and stays), they'll probably be doing something like a 25-15 minute split anyway. I think that's enough to maximize whoever the backup is (more than likely Tre). 

You'll probably just hope to give either Pettiford or this backup a real nod at some shooting guard minutes too, to keep them satisfied. KD will be gone by 2024-25, so that frees up about 10-14 minutes there 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Eh Missouri got as far as we did while getting killed defensively (!!) vs a much worse team than who we played. They were demonstrably worse and the biggest gap between the two was Auburn's D vs their O, not Auburn's fairly anemic offense vs their much worse D. 

Watchable or not, unless Aden and Tre become much better defenders than they currently project to be, you're pairing two guys who are around Wendell level at that end with a complete rookie. SEC teams are too good at the guard spot to start that backcourt 

We will never be as bad defensively as mizzou is because Bruce will never let the defensive effort be a problem. Basically I will always trust BP and staff to trot out at least an average defense regardless of the limitations and shortcomings defensively of the personal.  But yes if you are asking me if my 2 choices are either be bad defensively or be bad offensively? I will take bad defensively every time. You can always get lucky and your opponent can just go ice cold on ya. And mizzou was def more fun to watch than us last year. It was so hard to watch us last year. It was painful.

58 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Honestly if whoever is the backup point between Tre and Aden shows and proves (and stays), they'll probably be doing something like a 25-15 minute split anyway. I think that's enough to maximize whoever the backup is (more than likely Tre). 

You'll probably just hope to give either Pettiford or this backup a real nod at some shooting guard minutes too, to keep them satisfied. KD will be gone by 2024-25, so that frees up about 10-14 minutes there 

If Aden is the backup pg we are in big trouble because as I have not shy’d away from my feelings to be known that I just don’t think tre is very good. If Aden is anywhere close to what he’s supposed to be he is a day 1 starter easily. 

14 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Tre would not be a factor at all with Aden and Pettiford. He is at a severe talent disadvantage compared to those 2. And yes if you can’t tell I’m not high on tre at all!! What gave it away!? 😆🤣

Then Tre can move back to football and help at Safety. 

• Haha 1

On 6/24/2023 at 2:26 AM, GwillMac6 said:

If Aden is the backup pg we are in big trouble because as I have not shy’d away from my feelings to be known that I just don’t think tre is very good. If Aden is anywhere close to what he’s supposed to be he is a day 1 starter easily. 

I don't think we'll be in big trouble no matter who starts, if the minutes break the way I'd expect them to be. Tre should be a better facilitator than Aden and knows the offense already. Our projected 2023 rotation is filled with guys who score and don't facilitate. Aden can come in slowly and figure out the game to start out the season, but I won't be mad if he just winds up being better and ends up starting day 1. 

I don't think Tre has shown anything loud enough to feel strongly about him, one way or the other btw. I have an affinity for him because I really like pass first guys, especially for an offense that can look so selfish at times (to be blunt). Not to mention that this level of ball seems to not have many of em. But outside of that trait, he showed a solid handle, solid driving creativity, an up and down 3 point shooter, up and down defender, ton of work ethic, and seems to like the bright lights. He's just a fairly promising upside play, nobody I would call a disaster OR guaranteed star though

• Like 1

• Love 1

• Love 1

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• Love 2

On 6/24/2023 at 2:26 AM, GwillMac6 said:

I expect Aden to start at PG. He impressed me at the Nike Hoop Summit.

• Love 1

14 hours ago, twilli13 said:

How will the dynamic work with Holloway and Pettiford on the same team?

Too soon to have an idea with both not being on the team togather til the 2024-25 season.

14 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Are they both true points guards?

Not Sure on Tahadd but Aden is not. Played a lot more 2G than PG in high school & AAU ball. That being said, Bruce feels Aden will be a very good PG.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...