2024 5* PG Tahaad Pettiford Signs with AU!

AU Is Gold

7 hours ago, toddc said:

Next year we should have a solid nucleus of returning and new Freshman players without counting what Pearl and company will pull in from the Portal.

Current players I expect to Return:

PG - Aden Holloway (Can play SG)

PG - Tre Donaldson

SG - Denver Jones (best on ball defender on the team).

PF - Chaney Johnston

SF - Chad Baker-Mazra

C - Dylan Cardwell

Current Player that might return

C - Johni Broome

Incoming Freshman

PG - Tahaad Pettiford (Can play SG)

SF - Jahki Howard -  He will be better than Chris Moore

Key players losing:

Jaylin Williams - Will be hard ro replace

KD Johnson - Spark plug who adds frenetic defense and can score hitting the 3 and going to rack with reckless abandon.

Chris Moore who should be easiest to replace.

Broome is a big question mark if he returns we will be as good or better in 4 out of 5 positions (PG, SG, SF, Center).

PG - better even without Pettiford as both Aden and Tre will have a year or more of playing at College level. Add in Pettiford and we will be better.

SF - CBM returning and Howard replacing Moore we should be better.

SG  - Starting SG Denver Jones is returning and will be able to use Holloway and Pettiford to play minutes KD currently get. I think we will be a little better offesively but a little worse defensively so basically a wash.

C - Both return and we will be better as one more year of growth for both Broome and Cardwell.- If Broome does not return I expect Cardwell will play more minutes and with extra time is capable of 10+ points and 8+ boards a  game along with 2-3 blocks a game. Keep Broome we are better lose Broome, then Cardwell can pick up some slack but will need another Center from Portal.

PF - Chaney has beed a decent pickup but is not in same class as Jaylin. Jaylin will be our biggest loss and we will need help from the Portal.

I think we can be as good as current team and a couple of the right Portal players we could be better than this year.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Next year we should have a solid nucleus of returning and new Freshman players without counting what Pearl and company will pull in from the Portal.

PG - Tre Donaldson

PF - Chaney Johnston

SF - Chad Baker-Mazra

C - Dylan Cardwell

C - Johni Broome

Incoming Freshman

Key players losing:

KD Johnson - Spark plug who adds frenetic defense and can score hitting the 3 and going to rack with reckless abandon.

Broome is a big question mark if he returns we will be as good or better in 4 out of 5 positions (PG, SG, SF, Center).

PG - better even without Pettiford as both Aden and Tre will have a year or more of playing at College level. Add in Pettiford and we will be better.

SG  - Starting SG Denver Jones is returning and will be able to use Holloway and Pettiford to play minutes KD currently get. I think we will be a little better offesively but a little worse defensively so basically a wash.

C - Both return and we will be better as one more year of growth for both Broome and Cardwell.- If Broome does not return I expect Cardwell will play more minutes and with extra time is capable of 10+ points and 8+ boards a  game along with 2-3 blocks a game. Keep Broome we are better lose Broome, then Cardwell can pick up some slack but will need another Center from Portal.

PF - Chaney has beed a decent pickup but is not in same class as Jaylin. Jaylin will be our biggest loss and we will need help from the Portal.

I think we can be as good as current team and a couple of the right Portal players we could be better than this year.

Are we for sure losing KD?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

Not sure

Auburn basketball signee Tahaad Pettiford named a McDonald’s All-American

By 

Matt Cohen | mcohen@al.com

Tahaad Pettiford (0) of Hudson Catholic with a slam dunk during the boys basketball game between No. 6 St. Peter’s Prep and No. 4 Hudson Catholic at St. Peter’s Preparatory School in Jersey City, NJ on Wednesday, January 17, 2024.Scott Faytok | NJ Advance Media

Auburn five-star point guard signee Tahaad Pettiford has been named a McDonald’s All-American, according to an announcement Tuesday. 

Pettiford is Auburn’s fourth player since 2020 to receive the prestigous honor among the best high school players in the country. Current Auburn point guard Aden Holloway was selected in 2023, former Auburn forward Jabari Smith was selected in 2021 and former Auburn guard Sharife Cooper was selected in 2020. 

Pettiford, who plays for Hudson Catholic in Jersey City, New Jersey, is ranked as the top point guard in the 2024 class, according to 247Sports. He is a consensus top-25 overall player in the nation, according to recruiting websites. 

He is part of a two-man Auburn class coming next fall along with four-star forward Jakhi Howard. 

Should Holloway return to Auburn for his sophomore season, he and Pettiford will be Auburn’s first McDonald’s All-American duo in program history. 

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

• Like 1
  • Love 1

All but 2 Mickey D’s AA have been in the Bruuuuuce era!!!! Woooo!!!! 

• Like 1

• Like 1
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

Checked he could come back as could Chris Moore.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

• 3 weeks later...

Here is how I see it playing out:

PG - Tre Donaldson(6'3"), PG - Tahaad Pettiford(5'10")

SG - Denver Jones(6'4"), PG - Aden Holloway(6'1")

PF - Chaney Johnston(6'7"), OPEN

SF - Chad Baker-Mazra(6'7), SF - Jahki Howard(6'6")

C - Dylan Cardwell(6'11"), OPEN

PG : Auburn is set at this position. Donaldson, Holloway, and Pettiford can all play point. IMO, Pettiford will have to play point. Donaldson has cemented himself this year as the starter. Holloway could move out to SG. I don't see a way that Pearl carries 3 PGs into the season. There will not be enough minutes to satisfy them all. 

SG : Denver Jones could be moved to PF if Pearl elects to go with a small lineup. I doubt he will though. Denver's offensive production fits better at SG. I think Holloway moves over to SG. to replace KD who is leaving. 

PF : Chaney Johnson will need a back up. The portal will need to provide here. 

SF : CBM should be a starter next year. I don't know how well Howard's production will translate to college but he seems to be talented. If CBM is relegated to 2nd team again, I will call the position a strength. Jaylin Williams leaving will hurt though. 

C Cardwell has been more productive this season. If he gets more minutes, I can see him being more productive but I don't see a 20 point plus player in him. I see a 15 point player. The portal will need to provide someone here. To compete for the job at minimum. 

Portal: As mentioned, Auburn will need to find another center and power forward. I think they have to keep communication open with SGs as well. Just in case Donaldson or Holloway transfers. 

Edited by Chaotic_zx
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

Here is how I see it playing out:

PG - Tre Donaldson(6'3"), PG - Tahaad Pettiford(5'10")

SG - Denver Jones(6'4"), PG - Aden Holloway(6'1")

PF - Chaney Johnston(6'7"), OPEN

SF - Chad Baker-Mazra(6'7), SF - Jahki Howard(6'6")

C - Dylan Cardwell(6'11"), OPEN

PG : Auburn is set at this position. Donaldson, Holloway, and Pettiford can all play point. IMO, Pettiford will have to play point. Donaldson has cemented himself this year as the starter. Holloway could move out to SG. I don't see a way that Pearl carries 3 PGs into the season. There will not be enough minutes to satisfy them all. 

SG : Denver Jones could be moved to PF if Pearl elects to go with a small lineup. I doubt he will though. Denver's offensive production fits better at SG. I think Holloway moves over to SG. to replace KD who is leaving. 

PF : Chaney Johnson will need a back up. The portal will need to provide here. 

SF : CBM should be a starter next year. I don't know how well Howard's production will translate to college but he seems to be talented. If CBM is relegated to 2nd team again, I will call the position a strength. Jaylin Williams leaving will hurt though. 

C Cardwell has been more productive this season. If he gets more minutes, I can see him being more productive but I don't see a 20 point plus player in him. I see a 15 point player. The portal will need to provide someone here. To compete for the job at minimum. 

Portal: As mentioned, Auburn will need to find another center and power forward. I think they have to keep communication open with SGs as well. Just in case Donaldson or Holloway transfers. 

Denver, CBM, and Dylan all have eligibility left? 

5 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

Denver and CBM are listed as Juniors on the team's roster site. Dylan is listed as a Senior. AuburnNTexas listed Cardwell as coming back so I went on the assumption that he had a COVID year left.

Auburn team roster link

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2024 at 3:17 PM, GwillMac6 said:

All but 2 Mickey D’s AA have been in the Bruuuuuce era!!!! Woooo!!!! 

When I first read this post I was like, “I didn’t know our softball coach sponsored  recovering alcoholics….?”

Hard to see how Aden can play the 2 with his size. You could maybe get away with it with Tre in the lineup so he could play the 2 spot on defense. Pettiford and Aden in at the same time is a hard no. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gravejd said:

Hard to see how Aden can play the 2 with his size. You could maybe get away with it with Tre in the lineup so he could play the 2 spot on defense. Pettiford and Aden in at the same time is a hard no. 

Aden would only play the 2 on offense.

I don’t think Broome will be back. Cardwell doesn’t seem to have much of a shot selection. Hope we are looking for another center now.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

I don’t think Broome will be back. Cardwell doesn’t seem to have much of a shot selection. Hope we are looking for another center now.

I agree Broome probably won't come back, but he has the option. I love Cardwell and if he got more minutes his numbers would improve but you are correct his O is limited we would need another center. He is also prone to foul trouble.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

Cardwell is a top tier backup center at the power 5 level. He could likely transfer and end his career somewhere that would let him shine more if he wanted to get extra film.

For reference, Strech Akingbola is third in the country in blocks per game at George Washington. Yohan Traore is averaging 15 ppg and 5 rbg at UC Santa Barbara. And it's not necessarily about trying to get to the NBA -- Stretch likely has secured an international contract offer showcasing his ability to block shots at that level. Cardwell obviously has way more film, but it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to try to find a spot where he'd more of a focal point.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 12:27 PM, HAPvsOA said:

KD does as well if he wants it. He has a covid year. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2024 at 10:14 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

PG - Tre Donaldson

PF - Chaney Johnston

SF - Chad Baker-Mazra

C - Dylan Cardwell

C - Johni Broome

Incoming Freshman

Key players losing:

Chris Moore who should be easiest to replace.

I didn’t realize Cardwell had another year of eligibility left.   That’s good.   Broome should be a pretty high draft pick.   I really doubt he stays.   
Agreed!   Guard play will be good!   We will really need a solid 4 and 5 from the portal, and next year’s team will be 🔥

Cardwell beginning to show signs of life in the O.  Has hit two 3's the last two games and is beginning to make shots other than dunks down low.  Glad to hear he has another year.

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I didn’t realize Cardwell had another year of eligibility left.   That’s good.   Broome should be a pretty high draft pick.   I really doubt he stays.   
Agreed!   Guard play will be good!   We will really need a solid 4 and 5 from the portal, and next year’s team will be 🔥

Picking up replacements for Broome and Williams in the portal isn't going to be easy. They aren't solid players; they are the strength of this team.  Broome has been great this year, but I'm not sure how he looks to the NBA.  He's just small for a NBA center.  He's probably going to leave, and I'll wish him well, but I hope maybe he'll come back for one more year and keep developing that 3 point shot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah those two are going to be hard to replace, but CBP does have a sterling record at finding starter caliber 5s since Austin Wiley and McLemore. 2020 is the only year I can recall where we had to adlib a bit. The PF position has been just about as lucrative for him too. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Broome won’t be drafted most likely and if he is it will be late second but I agree he most likely will leave anyways…

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Cardwell beginning to show signs of life in the O.  Has hit two 3's the last two games and is beginning to make shots other than dunks down low.  Glad to hear he has another year.

I mean, I love Cardwell no less than the next Auburn fan but he does nothing else on O but get lob dunks and the occasional put back dunk or layup. He is a pure defensive glue guy. We are doomed at the Center position if we don't go get another Broome type of Center because I'm sure Broome is gone after this year.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Yes!  I feel like with a little polishing, Cardwell could be our next 3 point weapon next season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, AUGoo said:

One of those two 3 pointers was a bank shot, so let's not get too carried away. 

• Haha 2