2024 5* PG Tahaad Pettiford Signs with AU!

AU Is Gold

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Broome won’t be drafted most likely and if he is it will be late second but I agree he most likely will leave anyways…

If we can get Broome NIL greater than a European contract, he might stay for what could be a legit championship level team next year.  My heart tells me cardwell stays.  If that plays out then our 5 should be even better next year.  Jachki Howard replaces Moore?  So our 3 proves.  Our 1 and 2 guards should be better next year with more experience and adding Pettiford ?  We get a PF in the portal to pair with an improved Chaney.  This is our unknown position imho.

if these things happen then our team actually becomes longer and more athletic.  The 4 is our primary unknown with an improved Chaney as our floor.

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2024 at 5:09 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

Checked he could come back as could Chris Moore.

I just wrote a much poorer version of what you wrote in late January.  I agree with everything you wrote.  If KD returns, I’m pretty darn optimistic about next year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Picking up replacements for Broome and Williams in the portal isn't going to be easy.

Absolutely!   JWill has been a great teammate for years, and he has really come on strong this year!    He will be a huge loss in many ways!
My very uneducated thought on Broome is that with the NBA being a shooting league at all 5 spots, that Broome’s stock rose a lot this year.   If it were the days of Shaq, Lambeer, and Rodman, he would struggle mightily at the 5 in the league.  
I would be very pleasantly surprised if he came back next year!!!   Losing both of them would be very difficult to replace!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think Broome plays the 5 if he makes it to the NBA.  For the teams that actually utilize what is considered to be a traditional center, they are generally rim protectors and rebounders.  I see Broome as a power 4 and I think his draft stock is mid-late second round at best.  He just doesn't have the athletic upside or size that the NBA is perpetually enamored with.  Don't get me wrong, I think Broome has the skills and work ethic to play in the NBA (Jared Harper did too) but that doesn't mean he will get his name called on draft day.  That's where NIL becomes a real factor.  Do you take a chance on the second round or even worse a two-way and then bounce around all over the U.S.?  Or do you come back to AU (or somewhere else?) with, for all intents and purposes, a guaranteed one-year contract which would undoubtedly be more than two-way money.  If the NIL is up in the hundreds of thousands then to me it's a no-brainer.  I don't think one year will make much difference in his draft stock unless he shoots in the upper 30's from behind the arc on volume. You never know.

If Broome returns to AU then that is a solid core for next year.

Edited by keeperoftheplains

42 minutes ago, keeperoftheplains said:

I don't think Broome plays the 5 if he makes it to the NBA.  For the teams that actually utilize what is considered to be a traditional center, they are generally rim protectors and rebounders.  I see Broome as a power 4 and I think his draft stock is mid-late second round at best.  He just doesn't have the athletic upside or size that the NBA is perpetually enamored with.  Don't get me wrong, I think Broome has the skills and work ethic to play in the NBA (Jared Harper did too) but that doesn't mean he will get his name called on draft day.  That's where NIL becomes a real factor.  Do you take a chance on the second round or even worse a two-way and then bounce around all over the U.S.?  Or do you come back to AU (or somewhere else?) with, for all intents and purposes, a guaranteed one-year contract which would undoubtedly be more than two-way money.  If the NIL is up in the hundreds of thousands then to me it's a no-brainer.  I don't think one year will make much difference in his draft stock unless he shoots in the upper 30's from behind the arc on volume. You never know.

If Broome returns to AU then that is a solid core for next year.

Not making fun of the first half of this post or anything, but if you don’t think he has athletic upside, why would you pencil him as a 4? The modern 4 is almost as athletic as a 3 for many NBA teams. 
There’s different aspects of athleticism granted, but in terms of foot speed, he isn’t much less athletic than someone like Jokic or Alperun Sengun. I do definitely think that he’s going to have it rough in terms of running in transition or switching on screens though. His defense against Alabama and switching out on Sears as often as he did may be the most positive tape he showed all year tbh 

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Not making fun of the first half of this post or anything, but if you don’t think he has athletic upside, why would you pencil him as a 4? The modern 4 is almost as athletic as a 3 for many NBA teams. 
There’s different aspects of athleticism granted, but in terms of foot speed, he isn’t much less athletic than someone like Jokic or Alperun Sengun. I do definitely think that he’s going to have it rough in terms of running in transition or switching on screens though. His defense against Alabama and switching out on Sears as often as he did may be the most positive tape he showed all year tbh 

Not sure what you would make fun of.  I didn't say Broome wasn't athletic. I said he doesn't have upside based on his athleticism and/or size.  He doesn't have the hops and quickness that the NBA likes to take a chance on in order to turn into a upper tier player.  I've said here before that I think Broome could make a serviceable 4 in the league especially if he continues to improve his outside shot.

For the record, Broome is much more athletic than Jokic.  It's not even close. 

On 3/7/2024 at 1:13 PM, alabastertiger said:

One of those two 3 pointers was a bank shot, so let's not get too carried away. 

But he called off the backboard before he shot it!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, keeperoftheplains said:

Not sure what you would make fun of.  I didn't say Broome wasn't athletic. I said he doesn't have upside based on his athleticism and/or size.  He doesn't have the hops and quickness that the NBA likes to take a chance on in order to turn into a upper tier player.  I've said here before that I think Broome could make a serviceable 4 in the league especially if he continues to improve his outside shot.

For the record, Broome is much more athletic than Jokic.  It's not even close. 

Right, that's what I said...and you have him playing the position out of the 4 and the 5 that would require MORE athleticism. That's what I earnestly don't understand lol. I mention Sengun and Jokic because as a 5, he doesn't have much less foot speed than those guys (for example). He also plays more like more like a 5 than 4. I'm legitimately just wondering if there's something I'm missing there in your analysis. 

Broome MAY have better foot speed than Jokic (may), but Jokic is much, much more of an athlete. The mental aspects of being an athlete - those that usually get championed in tennis or baseball (timing, hand-eye coordination) - he's one of the best we've ever seen. That's a department that makes him basically un-doubeable and one that Broome still has space to improve in

Just now, Tigger1985 said:

Anyone see him play in the All American game? Tuned in at the half and never saw Pettiford.

He was out with a slight knee injury.

I know Duke is getting two good players from the game. Didn’t know he was out. Thought I saw him with a jacket on 

Just now, Tigger1985 said:

I know Duke is getting two good players from the game. Didn’t know he was out. Thought I saw him with a jacket on 

They said he actually won the “shoot out” the night before. Whatever That is. 

CBM announced he is returning with him having a year with Auburn I expect him to be better this year. With Jahki Howard coming in we should be better at the SF position. Assuming Pegeus commits, Denver returns, and with addition of Pettiford we should be better at both PG and SG but will need Aden to return for depth at PG or will need another guard in the Portal. Chaney will be better rebounder then Jaylin but we will miss Jaylins combination of inside and outside scoring. We will need a true 4 from portal. 5 depends on Broome and Cardwell if both return we will be good if either leaves we will need a 5.  Depending on which 5 leaves then we either need a starting 5 or a backup 5. I think Cardwell stays. I am hoping Broome does. 

We have potential to be better or worse depending on who stays and who we bring in from portal. I am leaning towards better.