From Classified Documents to Spy Balloon...

creed

does our government believe our secrets are important? In reality, in the moment, our secrets don't seem to be worth much. I'll need to think on it. 

Isn't it possible that our military and intelligence agencies don't believe that there is any real danger of the balloon actually obtaining any worthwhile information?  If you weigh that against the possibility that falling debris could cause damage to property or people on the ground, does it not make sense to not shoot it down at 60,000 feet?  As with everything, partisan reporting will make this either the biggest threat since 9/11 or nothing at all.  The truth is likely neither extreme.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Isn't it possible that our military and intelligence agencies don't believe that there is any real danger of the balloon actually obtaining any worthwhile information?

Times have indeed changed. I think you are on to something.

Good job Joe for making the call to bring it down.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

At the very least we need to send China the bill for cleaning up their air trash. Then add a few billion for delays incurred by the airlines for not getting people to their next destination on time and for the wasted time by airport workers just standing around until the balloon was out of the flying zones. 

1 minute ago, creed said:

At the very least we need to send China the bill for cleaning up their air trash. Then add a few billion for delays incurred by the airlines for not getting people to their next destination on time and for the wasted time by airport workers just standing around until the balloon was out of the flying zones. 

Doubt that will happen, but a good thought.

I wouldn't be surprised if what we find is a bounch of junk painted up to look technical....it was never meant to spy; it was a trial run to see what we do. What did we do?...we let it fly all the way across the country....they don't need to spy with a balloon lol.....and for the "whats the big deal?" Morons,  have ya ever heard of EMP and what it can do and what the ideal altitude for it is?...

12 hours ago, SaturdayGT said:

I wouldn't be surprised if what we find is a bounch of junk painted up to look technical....it was never meant to spy; it was a trial run to see what we do. What did we do?...we let it fly all the way across the country....they don't need to spy with a balloon lol.....and for the "whats the big deal?" Morons,  have ya ever heard of EMP and what it can do and what the ideal altitude for it is?...

You've been reading too many Tom Clancy novels. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, creed said:

Good job Joe for making the call to bring it down.

The F22 with an fox 2 is such an inelegant solution though. My solution, another balloon with a knife hanging from it, would have worked much better. 

• Haha 2

How much do some of you charge for Biden and others to live permanently in your heads?

There is nothing that two bit balloon could track that couldnt be done far better on the ground with our free travel rules. 

This is a nothing burger. It is funny watching some of you run around with your hair on fire over nothing.

Hair On Fire GIFs | Tenor

• Like 2

I can't think of anything of significant value the Chinese learned from this balloon that they couldn't from one of their satellites that can see the ground with high high fidelity. One thing they did learn is what our reaction would be and then make a big deal from that.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Dumb question, but what can you survey from a balloon that you couldn’t see from Google earth?

Or a satellite? 

My concern is this was an attempt to bait the U.S. in order to justify attacking our reconnaissance aircraft flying over or near (claimed) Chinese airspace.

21 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Not if it infringes on the time required to investigate Hunter's laptop!  ;D

Unlike their Democratic counterparts, I believe the Republicans can multitask.  😁

2 hours ago, Son of A Tiger said:

I can't think of anything of significant value the Chinese learned from this balloon that they couldn't from one of their satellites that can see the ground with high high fidelity. One thing they did learn is what our reaction would be and then make a big deal from that.

Bingo!  We have a winner! 

You nailed it.

On 2/4/2023 at 4:16 PM, AU9377 said:

Isn't it possible that our military and intelligence agencies don't believe that there is any real danger of the balloon actually obtaining any worthwhile information?  If you weigh that against the possibility that falling debris could cause damage to property or people on the ground, does it not make sense to not shoot it down at 60,000 feet?  As with everything, partisan reporting will make this either the biggest threat since 9/11 or nothing at all.  The truth is likely neither extreme.

God forbid they confirm the state of Montana has trees and snow. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Why doesn't Marjorie Taylor Greene get the Jewish satellite lazers to shoot it down?

Not necessary. The president used an AIM-9X Sidewinder. SMH

https://www.businessinsider.com/f-22-first-known-air-to-air-kill-chinese-balloon-2023-2

8 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Overkill no doubt, but it would be incredibly unusual for the President to choose which weapon to use.

Yes it would be, but one would expect competent military leaders to exercise appropriate standards. There was a time not long ago this was a given. SO if you're keeping score this is a multi-pronged problem.

• Like 1