From Classified Documents to Spy Balloon...

creed

4 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Yes it would be, but one would expect competent military leaders to exercise appropriate standards. There was a time not long ago this was a given. SO if you're keeping score this is a multi-pronged problem.

The military, like the rest of the country, has very little ability to restrain spending.  They have conditioned a portion of the country to the point of believing that spending less is a sign of weakness.  Like many other areas, when the opportunity to feed from the tit of the taxpayer exists, we Americans exploit it for all we can.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

The military, like the rest of the country, has very little ability to restrain spending.  They have conditioned a portion of the country to the point of believing that spending less is a sign of weakness.  Like many other areas, when the opportunity to feed from the tit of the taxpayer exists, we Americans exploit it for all we can.

Not related to my comments.

5 hours ago, AU9377 said:

MIC has a profitable business model...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Thanks for bringing this up because I was watching my local tv news a few nights ago and they had a segment about education. Nothing alarming except a STEM program was being started. But what was interesting is the Department of Defense had given $50k to help the program. So I'm thinking WHAT? Is that their role? Where did they get the funds? Who approved the DOD budget that included educational funding? So I wrote my representative and I'm waiting on and answer. Could be totally legit, but just want to know the thought process around the DOD handing out education funds.

P.S. IMHO. If you want a government Of the People, By the People, For the People, we need to be writing our representatives contantly. Regardless of your political party affiliation. Otherwise, special interests are all they hear. Even this may not change your representation, but at least you'll know who not to vote for re-election.

Edited by creed
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

MIC has a profitable business model...

Which provides for huge pay offs (bribes) by "lobbyists" to legislators that are called "political contributions".

That's the core of the problem.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, creed said:

Thanks for bringing this up because I was watching my local tv news a few nights ago and they had a segment about education. Nothing alarming except a STEM program was being started. But what was interesting is the Department of Defense had give $50k for helping out. So I'm thinking WHAT. Is that their role? Where did they get the funds? Who approved the DOD budget that included educational funding? So I wrote my representative and I'm waiting on and answer. Could be totally legit, but just want to know the thought process around the DOD handing out education funds.

P.S. IMHO. If you want a government Of the People, By the People, For the People, we need to be writing our representatives contantly. Regardless of your political party affiliation. Otherwise, special interests are all they hear. Even this may not change your represtation, but at least you'll know who not to vote for re-election.

I totally get the logic behind that.  They obviously need a lot more educated recruits in STEM than they are getting.

Now, is there a better or more efficient way for them to accomplish that?  I don't know.

12 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Not necessary. The president used an AIM-9X Sidewinder. SMH

https://www.businessinsider.com/f-22-first-known-air-to-air-kill-chinese-balloon-2023-2

Probably just ensuring they hit it in one go.

Missiles with infrared tracking tend to be good at that. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Which provides for huge pay offs (bribes) by "lobbyists" to legislators that are called "political contributions".

That's the core of the problem.

Not to mention very lucrative jobs for retiring officers. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 9:03 AM, I_M4_AU said:

Switching to guns would have been more impressive than a sidewinder, but not as big of a show.

And it did not warrant a half million dollar show.

• Like 1