2024 4* RB J'Marion "Phat" Burnette decommits From AU

ellitor

11 hours ago, Paladin said:

And that was against Auburn commit Joseph Phillips. 

But to be fair, Philips never left the field the entire game. He had to run the wildcat as QB the whole second half because their starting QB got hurt at the start of the third qtr. 

He did look good early in the game before getting tired

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Long term lurker on this site. I'm friends with Phat's uncle through work and I asked him straight up "How big is he?". Uncle confirmed that he weighed in at 220lbs this past Saturday. Very good young man that comes from a good family. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Tony87 said:

Long term lurker on this site. I'm friends with Phat's uncle through work and I asked him straight up "How big is he?". Uncle confirmed that he weighed in at 220lbs this past Saturday. Very good young man that comes from a good family. 

Appreciate the update

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Looks like Phat’s commitment may be a placeholder until he gets more NIL from someone else or Auburn.

IMG_3944.jpeg

Interesting. If JH, DA, BB, and JC all come back that room is going to be crowded. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Looks like Phat’s commitment may be a placeholder until he gets more NIL from someone else or Auburn.

IMG_3944.jpeg

I say we give him one less option

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

IMG_3944.jpeg

ironic post.  seems "committed" in recruiting now means---"this is the best deal so far".  that sentence is his post makes zero sense.

• Like 1

Or maybe he was encouraged to explore his options? Its not always the player looking around.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

ironic post.  seems "committed" in recruiting now means---"this is the best deal so far".  that sentence is his post makes zero sense.

It's the same for the coaches too.  They offer and accept a commitment from a player, but if a better player becomes available they "encourage" the committed player to look for "other" options.  It's a game they all play and with NIL $$ being thrown around like monopoly money I don't blame the recruit one bit to keep looking while committed.  It can be life changing $$$ for the kid. 

• Like 5

The term "committed" in the recruiting game has meant nothing but "current favorite" for years now. That didn't start with the NIL but the NIL has made it worse.

Before the NIL days about 90% of prospects eventually signed with the team they originally committed to. Now it's much lower than that. That's one reason why I don't even bother to look at the 2025 lists and posts.

About Burnette, who knows? He's having an outstanding senior season and other programs are certainly in pursuit. In military terms, once you have won ground you have to be prepared to defend it. I trust that AU is vigorously defending this one.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I trust that AU is vigorously defending this one.

Likely incorrect. All indications are we are letting him go. We may take 1 RB in this class, and as of the most recent eval period it looks like the staff doesn't feel Phat is it.

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Likely incorrect. All indications are we are letting him go. We may take 1 RB in this class, and as of the most recent eval period it looks like the staff doesn't feel Phat is it.

He looks very good - who does the staff think we can get that is better?

• Like 1

IF the staff did some reevaluations and thought that Phat should seek other options then that’s something I don’t agree with personally. I think he’d be really good for us but maybe his injury from his junior year scared them off or something 

Andalusia is top shelf in HS football - I'd think the staff would want to solidify the recruiting pathway at this HS and signing Phat would do that for the future, especially if he shows out in the O&B down the road.

I trust the coaches though, they know what they're doing.