2024 4* RB J'Marion "Phat" Burnette decommits From AU

ellitor

4-star RB J'Marion Burnette backs off Auburn commitment

Burnette officially backed off his Auburn commitment on Thursday.

Christian Clemente13 mins

A day after tweeting that he was "still committed to Auburn" but "100% open," 4-star running back J'Marion Burnette has officially backed off his commitment to Auburn. Burnette is ranked in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite as the No. 255 player, No. 18 running back and No. 14 player from Alabama.

Burnette is the third member of Auburn's 2024 class to reopen his recruitment, with defensive back Jayden Lewis looking elsewhere and athlete Jalewis Solomon flipping his commitment to South Carolina. The Andalusia (Ala.) product was one of the early members of Auburn's class, committing to Cadillac Williams and the staff on March 24.

Currently on the roster, all four scholarship backs in Jarquez Hunter, Damari Alston, Brian Battie and Jeremiah Cobb have eligibility remaining after the season. 

The big 6-foot-1, 220-pound back has rushed for over 5,000 yards during his career at Andalusia. As a senior, an ankle injury limited his regular season to just six games with 80 carries for 573 yards and eight touchdowns.

Auburn has hosted Clemson running back commit David Eziomume on a pair of visits this fall, along with Miami commit Kevin Riley on a visit.

Is this a commit that Auburn has told their services aren’t needed anymore?  I know there was at least one more other than Lewis?

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Is this a commit that Auburn has told their services aren’t needed anymore?  I know there was at least one more other than Lewis?

It sounds like this was Freeze's decision.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Is this a commit that Auburn has told their services aren’t needed anymore?

@Win4AU Yes. Apparently he hasn't done something the staff asked him to do.

55 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I know there was at least one more other than Lewis?

Collins

27 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Isn't this guy related to Henderson, the 2025 rb ?

@Timeslider 6 Not sure what their connection is but JLee says Phat will not have an impact on Henderson's recruitment FWIW.

• ellitor changed the title to 2024 4* RB J'Marion "Phat" Burnette decommits From AU
12 hours ago, ellitor said:

Likely incorrect. All indications are we are letting him go. We may take 1 RB in this class, and as of the most recent eval period it looks like the staff doesn't feel Phat is it.

Ok, another "We didn't want him anyway". I suppose this could be true in any given case, but it sure has become a really, really common excuse when we lose one.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, autan said:

Has Collins reopened his recruitment? I remember he decommitted from Bama before we picked him up.

@autan Not publicly but AU is letting him go since he's a blocking TE and we have a number of blocking TEs coming back.

• ellitor unfeatured this topic
9 hours ago, ellitor said:

@autan Not publicly but AU is letting him go since he's a blocking TE and we have a number of blocking TEs coming back.

We had a number of blocking tight ends coming back when we accepted his commitment. I wonder why we recruited him in the first place if we didn't need him?

I'm really not trying to pick a fight. But why are we dumping 4* guys that we apparently wanted a few months ago? Is the future really so bright we all gotta' put on our shades? Did Freeze & Company underestimate how well they can recruit at Auburn? When will we see commitments from the "upgrades" that are supposed to be replacing the guys we are letting go?

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We had a number of blocking tight ends coming back when we accepted his commitment. I wonder why we recruited him in the first place if we didn't need him?

I'm really not trying to pick a fight. But why are we dumping 4* guys that we apparently wanted a few months ago? Is the future really so bright we all gotta' put on our shades? Did Freeze & Company underestimate how well they can recruit at Auburn? When will we see commitments from the "upgrades" that are supposed to be replacing the guys we are letting go?

I said something similar in the Nest, but I think we are seeing Freeze being very selective in who we recruit.  Freeze is going after guys that fit his culture and system, so they can positively contribute.  Malzahn got 4 and 5 star players, but most of them were not good fits for his system, or were paper tigers.  Freeze is also going after the highly rated recruits too, but ones that specifically fit the system.  Not only is he staying home in recruiting, but also reaching out nationally.  It makes me happy for our future.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mikey said:

When will we see commitments from the "upgrades" that are supposed to be replacing the guys we are letting go?

I believe Kaleb Harris, though only a 3* right now, is an upgrade from Jayden Lewis a 4*.

Harris is probably the best defensive player for Thompson. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Paladin said:

I believe Kaleb Harris, though only a 3* right now, is an upgrade from Jayden Lewis a 4*.

Harris is probably the best defensive player for Thompson. 

Harris has blown up this year….that dude is a BEAST.  

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I wonder why we recruited him in the first place if we didn't need him?

@Mikey It sounds like we didn't have a good idea at one time onhow many of them would return next season.

But why are we dumping 4* guys that we apparently wanted a few months ago?

All our RBs are expected to return now & I think the Clemson commit is now higher on our board. Also I think us accepting Phat's commitment was conditional on him doing what we asked of him off the field, whether that be grades or whatever. Sounds like Phat hasn't held up his part of the deal.

When will we see commitments from the "upgrades" that are supposed to be replacing the guys we are letting go?

As Paladin mentioned, we replaced Lewis with Harris. At RB, if we can't flip the Clemson commit it sounds like we won't sign 1. At TE, we hope to land 1 or 2 pass catching TEs. My guess is we hope by December.

• Like 1

CHF may not have realized how many blocking TE's would be returning or that he wanted to return when he accepted Collins' commitment. I recall Collins dropping from a 4* to a 3* around the time he de-committed from Bama.

I meant to add that Frazier is listed as a senior on the roster (but seldom used by Harsin). He's been a key member of offense this year. I'm not sure, but I think BF actually has two years of eligibility after this season.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yes!

Nobody respects this staff's recruiting moxy more than me and I understand conditional offers. But unless Phat really blew it on his end, it's downright TerryBowdenesque to put our eggs either in the basket of Hunter not going pro or Mr. Clemson flipping to AU. IMHO. Jarquez stats going into Vandy/NM State are already decent and Cobb is not yet a proven every down guy. And we're Auburn so when the injuries rain it will pour. 

18 hours ago, Mikey said:

Ok, another "We didn't want him anyway". I suppose this could be true in any given case, but it sure has become a really, really common excuse when we lose one.

My question is, why did we offer him and then decide otherwise if that is the case? Seems the last month we are losing much more than we are gaining. This kid was a big bruising back, which we currently don’t have. Maybe the product he has seen on the field gave him second thoughts. I fully expect the 5 star receiver that verbally committed, to change his mind also. 

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Nobody respects this staff's recruiting moxy more than me and I understand conditional offers. But unless Phat really blew it on his end, it's downright TerryBowdenesque to put our eggs either in the basket of Hunter not going pro or Mr. Clemson flipping to AU. IMHO. Jarquez stats going into Vandy/NM State are already decent and Cobb is not yet a proven every down guy. And we're Auburn so when the injuries rain it will pour. 

Agree. Cobb is not big enough to be an every down back in the SEC. This guy was a big guy and could have been one to move the pile on his own. 

I don't like losing a four star quality player who were 100% Auburn from the start. I am sure the staff has a plan, but I don't like how it played out.  If what is alluded is true. Let's pray this does not turn into Quinshon Judkins 2.0 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 4