Meanest player at Auburn?

aubiefifty

On 2/11/2023 at 12:58 PM, aubiefifty said:

Who was the meanest S.O.B. to ever play for auburn football? and if it is close should we ad a top three? golf i bet you know quite a lot about this. i thought it might be a fun topic before things heat up again. i was shocked some guys said jeff burger was one of the meanest.qb's to ever play at auburn so i am curious. i know most Auburn players are badass in our hearts but do we have enough players that could kick yo behind on the field or off?

What Eric Ramsey did was pretty mean I think.

....Yeah, Ramsey was mean.

• Haha 2

Mickey played high school ball at Melbourne in Florida under Bryd Wigham, who came to Auburn as the freshman coach in the 60’s….

Ken Bernich, Takeo Spikes , Nick Fairly,  on D. Jeff Burger , Bo , William Andrews , on O. These are just the ones I saw in person.  Reese Dismukes and Jason Miska were bad dudes, also.

5 hours ago, milehighfan said:

Anybody remember Mickey Zokko? From what I heard he was one BAD ASS

I remember playing pickup basketball with him at Auburn years ago in the old barn that has since burned down. Don't laugh, Pistol Pete Maravich played in that place. He wasn't a mean guy, I mean he wasn't throwing elbows and knocking people down. He just wanted to play ball. Also, he had the best hand-eye coordination of anybody I have ever been on a court with. You good not bounce pass a ball to him that he couldn't corral while he was cutting to the basket. Of course we weren't playing football so there is that.

Nick Fairley.

There was an incident involving Mickey Zofko when I was in school. He was riding one night with some fellows and threw a bucket of water on a fellow male student weighing about 160 lbs to Zofko’s 200 lbs. 

The fellow, Jim Bouchelon ???) would often go to NewOrleans and win some money in prize fights. He grabs Zofko out of the car and cleaned his plow. Zofko shows up on the drill field (ROTC in those days) wearing sunglasses. Captain Yarbrough immediately tells him to take the sunglasses off exposing two black eyes. 

Without a doubt it Bobby Hoppe not even close. As for players I had interaction with it would be Tom Banks who played center meanest dirtiest player I knew. Langner wasn't the meanest but he was a dirty player

Banks was a high school All-American in 1965 and represented Alabama in the Junior Olympics. At Auburn University he was a First Team All-SEC center as sophomore, First Team All-SEC 1968, First Team All-SEC center 1969 and Auburn co-captain, and Third Team All-American 1969. He played in the 1970 Senior Bowl in and was drafted in the eighth round by St. Louis. He played 11 seasons with the Cardinals, where he was All-Pro from 1975-78. 

Photo of Tom Banks below.

tombanks.jpg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Without a doubt it Bobby Hoppe not even close. As for players I had interaction with it would be Tom Banks who played center meanest dirtiest player I knew. Langner wasn't the meanest but he was a dirty player

Photo of Tom Banks below.

tombanks.jpg

Checks picture...nods in agreement.

Definitely looks the part

On 2/11/2023 at 11:23 PM, NWALA Tiger said:

He grew up hauling hay in the summers. Square ones, not the big round ones they move with tractors.

This what you're talking about hell my dad would hire 20 guys off my football team and pay them $1 an hour to load the hay onto a trailer then have to unload from trailer into a hay barn loft. Alfalfa hay bales was the worst. You had to wear long sleeve shirts to cover your arms because were the hay is cut into a bale was sharp as a knife and would just eat your forearms up.

Now everyone has learned more then they wanted to about old time hay baling.

Buyer's Guide to Hay Equipment | Small Farm Sustainability

49297c44f092de3df4465e9bd6ecc4ce.jpg

Barn Hay Loft Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images - iStock

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Checks picture...nods in agreement.

Definitely looks the part

You wanted Tom as a friend for sure I was lucky he took pity on me cause he scared the holy crap out of me. 

• Haha 3

As far as guys I've interacted with, mean as far as being a complete Dick. I got in a scuffle with the corner with the last name of casher. He was a 5 th year senior or graduate assistant or something.....couldn't stand him.

Travarious Robison was a pos. Saw heath Evans once and he was acting like a diva. Roderick Hood was a horrible person. 

As far literally mean scary Tavarus Pounds.....I saw him do things.....let's just say even the other football players treaded lightly with him....oh the stories I could tell. I think he's a big time sheriff now if I'm not mistaken. 

Trey Blackmon had a short temper and was almost bipolar it seemed. Nicest guy in the world but he'd snap for no reason. And I think it was mayo sowell he had a similar temperament but not as scary. I found out I unknowingly messed around with a girl that I guess he'd be on and off again a bunch. That was a scary time for me.

Edited by cole256
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

This what you're talking about hell my dad would hire 20 guys off my football team and pay them $1 an hour to load the hay onto a trailer then have to unload from trailer into a hay barn loft. Alfalfa hay bales was the worst. You had to wear long sleeve shirts to cover your arms because were the hay is cut into a bale was sharp as a knife and would just eat your forearms up.

Yep, just like that. No need for summer workouts back in the day

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, cole256 said:

As far as guys I've interacted with, mean as far as being a complete Dick. I got in a scuffle with the corner with the last name of casher. He was a 5 th year senior or graduate assistant or something.....couldn't stand him.

Travarious Robison was a pos. Saw heath Evans once and he was acting like a diva. Roderick Hood was a horrible person. 

As far literally mean scary Tavarus Pounds.....I saw him do things.....let's just say even the other football players treaded lightly with him....oh the stories I could tell. I think he's a big time sheriff now if I'm not mistaken. 

Trey Blackmon had a short temper and was almost bipolar it seemed. Nicest guy in the world but he'd snap for no reason. And I think it was mayo sowell he had a similar temperament but not as scary. I found out I unknowingly messed around with a girl that I guess he'd be on and off again a bunch. That was a scary time for me.

Trey Blackman... " Little ball of hate" was his nickname

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

If I smell hay today I still can break out in a cold sweat. Threw many a bale onto a trailer and into a barn loft. And you are right about the Alfalfa. Not only prickly but heavy. Seems most Alfalfa came in around 90 lbs per bale. Hot work too.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mims44 said:

What Eric Ramsey did was pretty mean I think.

....Yeah, Ramsey was mean.

holy moly stop the presses! we agree on something.....lol

• Like 1

Pretty sure Mayo is a pastor now. 🙂

• Love 1

35 minutes ago, autan said:

Pretty sure Mayo is a pastor now. 🙂

glad you made it and was she worth it? inquiring minds and all that.............

7 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Golf, that was pretty good dough for hay hauling back then. We hauled for a Mr. Bailey and a few others back then and he only paid .50 cents an hour! Hauled a many a bale of hay for that old man up around Littleville, Spring Valley, and New Bethel over a 3 year period. I'd like to have got in on some of that dollar an hour hauling...LOL! 

• Love 1