Trump indicted by Grand Jury on 36 counts

Didba

Stormy Daniels hush payments are the basis. 

1 hour ago, Didba said:

Stormy Daniels hush payments are the basis. 

44 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

This feels like a rather weak example of the stuff he could rightly be brought up on charges for.  Not sure how it'll play out.

I remember so little about this... but how is it illegal?

If it's to damage character I'd understand... if there's any people out there that still care about this dudes character or lack of morals.

But if a person sleeps with another person and then comes back later and says... wow, I really don't want people to know about this. Will you stay quiet for 50 dollars?

Is that illegal? Since the sex act wasn't what was paid for it's not prostitution right?

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

This feels like a rather weak example of the stuff he could rightly be brought up on charges for.  Not sure how it'll play out.

It is. However, now that the seal has been broken, the two other investigations have a bit of cover 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

I remember so little about this... but how is it illegal?

If it's to damage character I'd understand... if there's any people out there that still care about this dudes character or lack of morals.

But if a person sleeps with another person and then comes back later and says... wow, I really don't want people to know about this. Will you stay quiet for 50 dollars?

Is that illegal? Since the sex act wasn't what was paid for it's not prostitution right?

If I remember correctly, the payments were made out of presidential campaign funds which is definitely illegal.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong though. 

12 minutes ago, Didba said:

If I remember correctly, the payments were made out of presidential campaign funds which is definitely illegal.

ooohhhhhh

Yeah, that would make sense.

If he did... what a goofball :lol: 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Didba said:

It is. However, now that the seal has been broken, the two other investigations have a bit of cover 

That's what I'm hopeful for. 

If there are any more serious indictments that have possibly been on hold because of the fear of being the first to indict a former President for a crime then that would make this case worth while even if this case is ultimately dismissed. 

Overall, out of all the stuff Trump has done and been accused of doing this hush money stuff is the least interesting and consequential. 

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of this particular prosecution.  However, I will say that the prosecution of Michael Cohen for his involvement in these transactions, crimes for which he served jail time, does lead to questions about how the agent's prosecution is valid when the principal is not charged?  The Biden DOJ declined to prosecute Trump.  I haven't seen one comment about how insightful and just that decision by our current Attorney General was.

As some of you get all your faux outrage ready to go over this, I have a question for you to ponder.

Had Bill Clinton's attorney paid hush money payments to women that he groped and had clean under the desk, would you feel the same way?  I have this gut feeling that you would be chanting "Lock him up!"

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Didba said:

You’re correct. 

At the end of the day what we have here is a campaign finance violation 

1 hour ago, Didba said:

Ah, the true justice system at work.  Aren’t you glad you are chose this industry to work in?  (It is an industry).

Edited by I_M4_AU

47 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Had Bill Clinton's attorney paid hush money payments to women that he groped and had clean under the desk, would you feel the same way?  I have this gut feeling that you would be chanting "Lock him up!"

This is close to hush money that was negotiated by his lawyers:

Clinton denies sexually harassing Jones and has claimed she was motivated by money. Her suit was dismissed, but she appealed. Clinton paid her $850,000 in November 1998 to settle the suit.

https://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=132345&page=1

1 hour ago, Didba said:

IIRC, Cohen made the original payment to Daniels from his own personal funds.  Trump reimbursed Cohen with campaign funds.  I could be confusing with the McDougal/Enquirer situation.

It's also interesting that the Cohen prosecution was not the DA.  The Cohen prosecution was done by the Trump DOJ through SDNY.

Edited by icanthearyou
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

This is close to hush money that was negotiated by his lawyers:

Clinton denies sexually harassing Jones and has claimed she was motivated by money. Her suit was dismissed, but she appealed. Clinton paid her $850,000 in November 1998 to settle the suit.

https://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=132345&page=1

Wasn't much to hush at that point.  The cigar was out of the box so to speak. lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

You’re correct. 

At the end of the day what we have here is a campaign finance violation 

I agree.  If this case was going to be prosecuted, which there is a good fairness argument that it should have been, it should have been prosecuted by Federal prosecutors in Federal Court.  They declined, likely due to the Biden Justice Dept not wanting to continue the Trump saga and further divide the country.  In essence, Trump was an unindicted co-conspirator in the Michael Cohen case and had he not been President, he would have been charged at the same time.

Of course, I readily admit that but for him being President, Cohen would not have been charged either.  However, it shouldn't be lost on anyone that it was Trump's own Justice Dept that went after Cohen.  Not a very smart move.

This is an interesting read.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/trump-charges-bring-new-york-zombie-case-back-life-2023-03-30/

Edited by AU9377

Harvard law professor and author Alan Dershowitz said Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s case against former President Donald Trump is “bringing shame” to Bragg’s prestigious office…

“[Alvin Bragg and Letitia James’] campaign pledge was, ‘We promise you, if we get elected, we will get Trump by hook or by crook,'” Dershowitz said. “They didn’t know what crimes they would get before they set out first, to name the person, and then to rummage through the statute books, find some crimes, but they didn’t find any, so they made them up.”

LINK

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Wasn't much to hush at that point.  The cigar was out of the box so to speak. lol

Boo, boo,,, get off the stage.   Bring back the dancers.  I didn't pay a cover and a two drink minimum for this act.

kidding of course,,, quite humorous😄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Didba said:

I think they were also labeled legal expenses so also possible tax fraud if he deducted them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Ah, the true justice system at work.  Aren’t you glad you are chose this industry to work in?  (It is an industry).

As I sit in Longview, Texas at my new firm enjoying my life and work, yes, 100 times yes. 

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigermike said:

LINK

Dershowitz hasn’t been respected in legal circles for a long, long time. He’s no different from Ben Shapiro at this point. Just fyi. 

3 hours ago, Didba said:

Dershowitz hasn’t been respected in legal circles for a long, long time. He’s no different from Ben Shapiro at this point. Just fyi. 

Which says a heck of a lot more of those who don't respect him than it does him.  Just FYI. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Didba said:

AD is/was a highly respected Harvard Law Professor. 

Al Capone mug shot photos In case you forgot, Al Capone went to jail not for being a sadistic murderer. He went to jail over tax evasion...Here's hoping the same goes to trump....

https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/news/stories/2005/march/capone_032805

How the Law Finally Caught Up With Al Capone

9 hours ago, Didba said:

As I sit in Longview, Texas at my new firm enjoying my life and work, yes, 100 times yes. 

With the most sincerity I can convey, good luck as you begin the journey.  One thing about this profession that you should never underestimate is that it is about who you know every bit as much as it is what you know.  All the ideals that guide your inner compass that suggest you can change course if you get bored of your surroundings, that make you feel as though you should dip your feet in several different fields before deciding your path..... they will lead you down a dead end road if you aren't careful.  You have to bet on yourself, but make smart bets.  Most of all, try to place yourself near people that will aid in your advancement.

• Love 1