Malzahn: "I love Auburn. I want them to do well."

abw0004

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Regarding “I don’t see Harsin ever saying that”.

Typical AU fan opinion on Gus: It’s not working out. You gave us some good times but you’re not what we need in order to grow the program.

Typical AU fan opinion on Harsin: Get the !$@& out of here! Now!

Baffled that you don't see the clear difference between Malzahn and Harsin. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, shabby said:

Baffled that you don't see the clear difference between Malzahn and Harsin. 

I don’t think he’s being insulting. I think what he’s saying is that a lot of Auburn people loved Gus but just felt it was time to move on, while everyone rightfully hated Harsin. 

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

I'd love Auburn too if they made me a bajillionare.  Probably retire on Lake Martin with Tubs, Chizik, and Hugh one day.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I'd love Auburn too if they made me a bajillionare.  Probably retire on Lake Martin with Tubs, Chizik, and Hugh one day.

Exactly lol. 

12 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Auburn made Harsin a bajillionare too and I doubt he’ll ever say the name “Auburn” again in his life 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

Auburn made Harsin a bajillionare too and I doubt he’ll ever say the name “Auburn” again in his life 

That's a good thing as his time here will soon be forgotten. I honestly could give a sheet on how or where he lands or his future.

• Like 1

I love Gus.   He is a really good guy!   He was good for us in a lot of ways!!!  
His career here had its ups and downs, but 2010 and 2013 were two of the most fun and successful seasons we’ve ever had!   I will always wish Gus the best in everything he does.   

I have no comments on the other guy.   

• Like 9

Easy to say bad things about Gus as a coach. Hard to say anything bad about him as a person. 

Can't think of one positive thing to say about Harsin. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

On 4/12/2023 at 9:11 AM, Sizzle said:

Auburn also tried to get away from paying the bajillion by making up some dirty shat on him. I don’t blame him at all for not mentioning auburn. 

• Like 3

On 4/11/2023 at 2:26 PM, abw0004 said:

I don't see Harsin ever saying that.

I doubt it, but then he didn't have the kind of success Gus did while at Auburn to have felt the love of the fan base the same way, so it's not exactly the same situation.

On 4/12/2023 at 10:26 AM, kevon67 said:

That's a good thing as his time here will soon be forgotten. I honestly could give a sheet on how or where he lands or his future.

I've got a feeling he's going to be remembered in the same light as Doug Barfield. Gus didn't coach as long as Shug, but had a similar path on a shorter scale, and Freeze has turned up the fire on recruiting in much the same way Pat Dye did as Barfield's successor. Hopefully, he'll have similar on-field success, as well.

18 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I doubt it, but then he didn't have the kind of success Gus did while at Auburn to have felt the love of the fan base the same way, so it's not exactly the same situation.

Even if Harsin had the same level of success, I still don't think he would ever say this.  It's not in his personality.  That's my opinion of course. 

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Even if Harsin had the same level of success, I still don't think he would ever say this.  It's not in his personality.  That's my opinion of course. 

Perhaps not in those words, but had we (Auburn) and Harsin endeared ourselves to one another, I feel confident he would express fondness for the program. The problem is that he was just never the right fit. 

But he's gone. I think we should wish him well and move on. Just my two cents.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

Perhaps not in those words, but had we (Auburn) and Harsin endeared ourselves to one another, I feel confident he would express fondness for the program. The problem is that he was just never the right fit. 

But he's gone. I think we should wish him well and move on. Just my two cents.

That is fair.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alexava said:

Auburn also tried to get away from paying the bajillion by making up some dirty shat on him. I don’t blame him at all for not mentioning auburn. 

Not completely sure how much was made up on him and not sure how guilty Auburn was in whatever transpired.  He had players leaving in droves, DC left for a lower paying, less prestigious job, etc.  Ex-players (with nothing to gain) were calling him out.  Auburn had the responsibility to investigate.  If there had been an abusive situation and AU not checked things out, we would be liable for any incidents that may have arisen.  After the way 2022 season went, we should have paid him half of his buyout and pressed that he was incompetent.....

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, penguin149 said:

Not completely sure how much was made up on him and not sure how guilty Auburn was in whatever transpired.  He had players leaving in droves, DC left for a lower paying, less prestigious job, etc.  Ex-players (with nothing to gain) were calling him out.  Auburn had the responsibility to investigate.  If there had been an abusive situation and AU not checked things out, we would be liable for any incidents that may have arisen.  After the way 2022 season went, we should have paid him half of his buyout and pressed that he was incompetent.....

True, that same DC stayed 1 year with Harsin, but also only stayed 1 year with Oklahoma State, and is not even coaching this year. I assume Harsin bothered him so much he could only last 1 year with Oklahoma State.

Edited by Hank2020

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

True, that same DC stayed 1 year with Harsin, but also only stayed 1 year with Oklahoma State, and is not even coaching this year. I assume Harsin bothered him so much he could only last 1 year with Oklahoma State.

Exactly. Players leave, is just what players do. The bottom line is that he didn’t win enough and recruited even worse. It was obviously not going well. What auburn did and how they did it, made it nearly impossible. Had we got the hold call in the EZ or Tank stayed in bounds, we beat bammer , there’s no investigation and Harsin is still our coach in ‘23.

On 4/12/2023 at 10:26 AM, kevon67 said:

Oh I doubt it will be forgotten. He’ll go down in infamy as a cautionary tale for why culture fit actually matters with coaches at Auburn.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Oh I doubt it will be forgotten. He’ll go down in infamy as a cautionary tale for why culture fit actually matters with coaches at Auburn.

FIFY